Fire Angus Eve

Yes
18 (54.5%)
No
8 (24.2%)
Who cares
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Angus Eve Thread.  (Read 57021 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Angus Eve Thread.
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2020, 05:34:20 AM »
Angus Eve named T&T Under-17 men’s coach.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

FORMER national midfielder Angus Eve has been named coach of the T&T men's Under-17 football team.

Eve, who played over 100 times for T&T between 1994 and 2005, will have Keith Jeffrey and Clyde Leon as his assistant coaches. His former T&T team-mate Clayton Ince will the goalkeeping coach, Adarryl John will be the team's trainer and Wesley Webb will serve as the team manager. The physio and the equipment manager has not been named yet.

Since retiring from football, Eve has been coaching for a number of years and has won numerous titles with Naparima College in the Secondary Schools Football League. The former midfielder also coaches Club Sando in the Pro League.

RELATED NEWS

Eve gets U-17 job with Leon, Ince and Jeffrey as assistants, Look Loy sympathises with Cooper
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Naparima College and Tiger Tanks Club Sando coach Angus Eve was confirmed as Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Under-17 Team head coach this evening with Keith Jeffrey and Clyde Leon as his assistants, Clayton Ince as goalkeeper coach, Adarryl John as trainer and Wesley Webb as team manager.

The technical committee will decide on a team physio and equipment manager at a later date.

Eve, 47, is the most successful coach in the Premier Division era of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) and a former National Under-23 head coach. As a player, he started in all three outings for Trinidad and Tobago at the 1991 World Youth Cup in Portugal, which was the nation’s first appearance at a Fifa tournament, and he retired as Trinidad and Tobago’s most capped outfield player with 117 appearances and 37 goals in the red, black and white strip.

Ince, 47, played alongside Eve at the Portugal tournament and was a member of the Soca Warriors team that participated at the Germany 2006 World Cup. Leon, 36, also has extensive international experience with 47 full international appearances and one goal for the Warriors.

The National Under-17 coaching selections rounded off the appointments in the men’s game for the short term future with all four of the national teams facing vital qualifying affairs in 2020. It also meant that Presentation College (San Fernando) head coach Shawn Cooper was the only technical committee nominee who ended up without a portfolio.

Cooper was suggested as National Under-15 Team head coach, only for board member and Referees Association president Joseph Taylor to recommend San Juan Jabloteh technical director Keith Jeffrey instead. And, in the end, Jeffrey got more support from the 13 members who were present.

Look Loy said he sympathised with Cooper but accepted the decision of the board.

“[Cooper] was the choice of the technical committee, he has a proven record in youth football and he has experience in international football,” said Look Loy, “but we live with the decision of the board and we will wait for the opportunity to reintegrate him into a national staff.

“In a small country like ours, you cannot ignore someone of the calibre of a Shawn Cooper. But in this situation, we bow to the authority of the board.”

Despite the flurry of appointments in the men’s game, the senior Women Soca Warriors are still without a coaching staff. Look Loy explained that the technical committee prioritised the teams which are competing over the next six months.

“The Senior Women’s Team had one official engagement this year, which was the Olympics—and they were already eliminated,” he said. “They have no official engagement for all of 2020; so we are focusing on the teams who have competitions. Similarly for Beach Soccer which has no activity in 2020.

“[…] It is not that they are being forgotten. There are priorities and these [other teams] are more immediate.”

Look Loy also tried to explain the TTFA’s new practice of having the technical committee select entire coaching staffs rather than just naming head coaches and allowing them to pick their own supporting casts.

“We want to bring the best possible people in,” he said. “The immediate past experience was that all kinds of people came into technical staffs via unofficial channels. So we wanted to bring what we felt was the cream of our coaching talent into our mainstream.

“[…] But we are not blind for the need of chemistry, so I was the one to call around and ask coaches if they are prepared to work with this one and if they are prepared to work with that one.”

The TTFA technical committee members at present are: Look Loy, Richard Piper, Norris Ferguson, Jinelle James, Ken Elie and Michael Grayson.

Eve appointed Men’s U-17 Head Coach.
TTFA Media.

Former National Team captain Angus Eve has been appointed head coach of the Men’s National Under 17 team.

Eve will have Keith Jeffrey and Clyde Leon as his two assistant coaches. Former national team goalkeeper Clayton Ince will serve as goalkeeper coach, Adarryl John as trainer and Wesley Webb as team manager. The positions of physio and equipment manager will be filled in due course.

Eve is also an assistant coach for the Men’s National Under 20 team while Jeffrey was appointed head coach of the Boy’s National Under 15 team. Leon, also a former national senior team midfielder, was an assistant coach on the previous under 15 boys team.

Eve, who is the head coach of Club Sando and Naparima College, last served as head coach of a national team for the Under 23 Men’s Olympic team during the 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers and the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara,  during which T&T held hosts Mexico to a 1-1 draw in the opening match.

The 2021 FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cup will be held in Peru and the qualifying schedule will be announced by CONCACAF in due course. The 2021  World Cup will be the 19th edition of the FIFA U-17 World Cup. A total of 24 teams will qualify for the final tournament. In addition to Peru who automatically qualified as hosts, 23 other teams will qualify from six separate continental competitions. Four teams will qualify from CONCACAF.

T&T has participated in two FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cups, the first being in 2001 as hosts and in 2007 when the team qualified under head coach Anton Corneal with players such as Kevin Molino, Aubrey David, Daneil Cyrus and Sheldon Bateau to name a few.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:43:59 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2020, 08:06:06 PM »
this right up his ally wish best of luck going forward
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve: Passion and discipline will be key
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2020, 03:19:18 PM »
Eve: Passion and discipline will be key
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago Under 17 head coach Angus Eve is hoping to reintroduce certain elements in national youth teams that he felt had gone missing over the past few years as he attempts to take the country towards qualification for upcoming FIFA Youth World Cups.

Eve is also the assistant coach to Under 20 Men’s head coach Derek King alongside Stern John. The Under 20s begin their CONCACAF qualifying campaign in June while the Under 17s will have a few extra months before their competition begins.

The former Chester City midfielder was part of the T&T team that participated at the 1991 FIFA Under 20 World Cup and guided T&T to the CONCACAF Final Round of Olympic qualification in 2012 as head coach.

“Discipline and passion is the key. I think we have lost those two things in our football,” Eve told TTFA Media.

“The talent has always been there but we need to get the players as fit as possible so that they can exercise the talents they have on the pitch. From the get go, it will be about physical. The discipline element must be there. I am from the Bertille (St Clair) old school of discipline so I think that’s a key. If I can get a player to obey off the field then it will be easier to get him to obey on the pitch. Of course once we get the passion for wearing the shirt… for wearing the red, white and black then I think it will auger well for us going forward,” Eve continued.

He sees the task ahead to be mountainous but not unattainable.

“Everybody (in Concacaf) has been going forward and we have been standstill. I don’t like to go back and knock people for whatever but I think we were focusing on building stuff instead of building the teams.

“I think that if we pay more attention to the human product, because the human being is the one who has to go out there and run and if we can get those things back into the team, that sort of pride, I think the crowds will come back. Kudos to teams like Panama who have developed and moved their programs forward. We used to beat those teams by four and five goals when I played.

“It is very difficult because we haven’t really qualified past a first round in youth tournaments or senior team tournaments in quite a while so it’s a rebuilding stage but I do embrace the challenge because I do believe that we have the players with the talent, it’s just to get their mindset right and have them focused so they can perform the task at hand,” Eve said.

Eve, currently also head coach of Club Sando and Naparima College is looking forward to working with former teammates King and John.

“We played international football for a long time together. I think Stern is still the most prolific striker we had and in world football he is right up there. Derek King was a solid defender and I used to juggle between midfield and forward so it’s a good blend. Ross Russell is also there with immense experience. We have all elements of play on the field within the staff, so it could be a good synergy.”

The former Defence Force, Joe Public and Jabloteh player who was also a member of the T&T team that made it all the way to the semi finals of the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup is optimistic of a change in fortunes for T&T football.

“The initiatives of the new President and the technical committee, a new technical director and hiring of a new set of people will bring a different blood into the FA and hopefully it turns into performances. What I can say is that they have started on the right foot. They have to give us the tools to work with. They have started in the right way, the composition of the staffs, the way they went about in selecting the staffs was a more transparent process and going forward I hope they continue to build on what they have started,” he said.

“I’ve always thought that I served my country very well and I am always proud to serve my country. Having this opportunity now is very humbling. It just shows that people do believe in the work that you are doing and that sort of confidence and you now have to go and repay it,” Eve concluded.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
Eve: Coaches optimistic over unpaid $alaries.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

AFTER meeting with the normalisation committee over the past few days, national football coaches are confident they will get a favourable response by next Wednesday concerning outstanding salaries owed to them since the committee was formed in March.

T&T coaches Angus Eve, Clayton Morris, Richard Hood and Wayne Sheppard held a media conference at Fatima Grounds in Mucurapo, on Friday morning.

On August 25, more than 20 national coaches claimed they were barred from delivering a document concerning outstanding salaries at the TT Football Association (TTFA) head office at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

National coaches, including senior coaches and youth level coaches, have not been paid since FIFA appointed the normalisation committee in March to run local football.

Eve told Newsday most of the coaches were not allowed to enter the compound, except for a few coaches who arrived early.

Two days later, the normalisation committee said it was not intentionally delaying payments to coaches and also said that the Ato Boldon Stadium was closed to prevent the spread of covid19. The compound includes the Home of Football, which is being used as a step down facility to fight the virus.

Eve, the national Under-17 men’s coach and assistant national men’s Under-20 coach, explained on Friday what transpired over the past week.

“After we went last week Tuesday to drop off our contracts to advance the process, we then had a phone call from the normalisation committee (saying) that they would like to meet with us on an individual basis which they had promised about five months ago, so we were happy for that.”

Eve said those meetings have been held and the coaches were satisfied.

“We did meet with them on an individual basis. Each one of the head coaches was able to meet with them and articulate our position as coaches and the meetings were very cordial.”

The former national midfielder and captain said the coaches are aware that the normalisation committee has only been operating for the past six months and are willing to cut them some slack.

“The meetings were very interesting because they are now coming in. (I am) not trying to make any excuses for them whatsoever, but we did sort to give them a little bit of latitude simply because they did not know what they were getting into. It still does not give them any reason for the lengthy (time) not communicating with us. There is something on the table. They have to go back and talk to the necessary people whose giving the money to them.”

The coaches have given their banking information to the normalisation committee and they expect feedback next week. Eve is “very confident” that the national coaches will get all the money owed to them.

“They have until the 9th of September to get back to us…what is the remuneration package that all of us are going to get. That was not finalised based on the fact that they had to go back to FIFA to get the monies to be released.”

Over 40 coaches are owed outstanding salaries.

Discussing not getting paid for the past six months, Eve said, “It is demotivating. As you said we do it for the passion, but (for) some of us this is now our jobs. This is the way we take care of our family. Even the guys who have (other) jobs it is still a job. When you’ve been given a job opportunity and you supposed to be paid (you expect to be paid)…everybody is in the same boat and when you don’t get paid for work done and work being done it borders (on) a level of disrespect as we have said before.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
Flashback: Tribute to Angus Eve; why Trinidad and Tobago owes more respect to sporting heroes.

The following column was written by then Trinidad Express journalist Lasana Liburd on 6 June 2005:

If Angus Eve stacked stationery or cut out newspaper clippings at CCN for a living, he would be afforded a proper send-off on the day that he, or the company, decided his talents belonged elsewhere.

Granted, we are only talking about cake, ice cream, pizza and soft drinks—and he would have to move sharply to avoid being trampled by eager co-workers from the sports desk and a certain editor-at-large, who pride themselves in being great eating company.

But, after the speeches, greeting cards and slaps on the back, Eve would leave feeling proud to have made a difference and left a mark at his place of employment.

Eve did not work for CCN. The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) employed Eve for the past 12 years and he served with distinction—twice handed the captain’s armband by former coaches, Ian Porterfield and Bertille St Clair.

New Dutch boss Leo Beenhakker had less faith in the versatile 32-year-old attacker and Eve was omitted from the squad that faced Panama and Mexico over the past week. It was the first time since 1996 that an available Eve was ignored for World Cup duty.

Few can argue that Eve had not passed his best form some time ago, while Beenhakker already has the benefit of experienced players like Dwight Yorke, Marvin Andrews and Stern John.

The question, though, is how will Trinidad and Tobago football fans show their appreciation? How will the federation that he represented show gratitude for a player with an unprecedented number of national appearances?

It is the time for administrators and supporters who preach the gospel of patriotism to stand up and show the value of their sentiments. I admit to being an unbeliever.

Patriotism, when used by administrators, is a meaningless word engineered to whip athletes into submission by appealing to the irrational emotions of supporters who want to believe that, when West Indies cricket star Brian Lara lashes a century or John stabs home a goal, the player is thinking specifically about him or her in the stands or in front of the television set.

The athlete’s failure to play is therefore viewed as a personal slight. The administrator who mischievously accuses a player of disloyalty is fully aware of the implications.

It has been a long time coming but finally Caribbean fans are becoming aware of the significance of money in sport in relation to their athletes.

The Digicel conflict between West Indian cricket administrators and players over personal contracts opened a few eyes. So too did the strike by the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior team in February 2003.

In both cases, the gains by athletes were minimal.

Lara lost his role as team captain—almost certainly, it is a permanent loss—while Ramaresh Sarwan was denied the chance to replace him.

In football, national goalkeeper Kelvin Jack, who was perceived as an influential figure behind the strike, seemed to have been blacklisted. Jack, who was first choice at the time, won just seven national caps since the standoff, while Travis Mulraine, another player who seemed destined to a long national career, managed just five outings. There are others who never got the chance to play for their country again.

In sport, as in life, the employee bears the brunt. Lara and Jack knew the risks. They know that the respective boards do not like to have their authority questioned. But the players might have felt let down by the fans.

They did not believe that the word ‘patriotism’ could provoke such a change in the public that idolised them and who they often pleased with their output on the field.

The Trinidad and Tobago public denounced Russell Latapy and Yorke when they refused to turn out for an international friendly—a friendly!—in 1999 after they complained that T&TFF special advisor Jack Warner changed the date of their proposed clash with Colombia to suit the timetable of then Prime Minister Basdeo Panday.

The fact that the 8 September date decided upon by the T&TFF infringed upon their club duties was deemed irrelevant. Yorke and Latapy were disloyal for turning their backs on their country, and the T&TFF demanded an apology.

Fast forward to 2004, when the T&TFF held a money-spinning match against a veteran Brazil All-Star team. It was not even a full international and the wording on the advertisements suggested that the encounter did not fall under the aegis of the local football body. Yet, the T&TFF faxed letters requesting that the players be released to play.

Who knows what might have happened if someone was injured. The public seemed oblivious to this fact and the administrators were certainly not called disloyal for unnecessarily risking the careers of national sporting heroes.

Compare this to Northern Ireland’s weekend outing against Germany in an international friendly. Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez begged five of his players who were free agents to turn up. Keith Gillespie played but Jeff Whitley, Phil Mulryne, Colin Murdock and James Quinn refused on the grounds that, if they were injured, they would be unable to find work at the start of the football season and would have no way of earning a living.

Northern Ireland were trounced 4-1 and Sanchez was disappointed but there was no threat of a ban. He respected the player’s right to protect their livelihood.

In contrast, Clayton Ince, Brent Rahim and Hector Sam all showed up for national camp as free agents. Marvin Andrews’ dodgy knee is a story by itself.

Trinidad and Tobago football fans do not realise their fortune in the era of a professional sport.

Forget the good old poverty-stricken days when stars like Michael Maurice and Clayton Morris earned nothing but love and administrators became wealthy and bought beachfront property. It is immoral to ask Densill Theobald to play for free when money is being paid at the gates and from television and radio companies.

Sporting fans must accept that they are in a new era. They must demand value for money rather than make irrational requests of their stars based on a romantic but meaningless notion of loyalty in a financially driven world.

Lara turns out for work for the same reason that you do on Monday morning—and it is not because it is your patriotic duty to do so.

Yet, if Trinidad and Tobago wants to show that love and respect is a two-way street between athletes and the public, then they could not have a better opportunity than Eve’s departure.

Eve made 115 caps, which is a national record. (Strike Squad goalkeeper Michael Maurice made more appearances for the national team, however several of his outings were against club teams and therefore not recorded as full internationals.)

The RSSF website for statistics places the CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh player level with former French World Cup winner Marcel Desailly, while only 36 footballers have played more times for their country.

He scored 34 times for his country with 12 of those goals coming in World Cup qualifying competition. Only Steve David (16) and John (13) have more World Cup qualifying goals.

If Eve was in another line of work, he might expect a gold watch and sizeable pension. But he was not a banker or policeman. He was a national footballer.

Now let us see what that means to supporters and administrators alike.

Eye on Eve
Caps: 115*
Goals: 34

Highlight: Playing in 1991 Portugal World Youth Cup and got opening qualifying goal in 2-0 win away to Canada in 2002 World Cup qualifying series. Also won six Caribbean Cup titles.

Low point: Ejected for elbowing Mexican player Marco Antonio Ruiz in 2002 qualifier after the Mexican allegedly spat on him.

National Senior Team coaches: Everald ‘Gally’ Cummings, Kenny Joseph, Jochen Figge, Zoran Vranes, Sebastiao Pereira de Araujo, Jimmy Blanc/Muhammad Isa, Ian Porterfield, Rene Simoes, Bertille St Clair.

Editor’s Note: This article (meant for the Trinidad Express) was put on hold because, shortly after it was written on 6 June 2005, Soca Warriors head coach Leo Beenhakker selected Angus Eve for his 2005 Concacaf Gold Cup team. It was never published before now.

At the Gold Cup, Eve was a second-half substitute in a 2-2 draw against Panama and a 0-2 loss against Colombia on 10 July and 12 July respectively. He never represented Trinidad and Tobago again and remained on a record 117 full international caps.

Eve was never recognised by the TTFA, the TTFF or the Ministry of Sport for his record contribution to local football.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »
‘Fenwick is misleading the public!’ Eve knocks T&T coach for supposedly disrespectful, contradictory statements.

Club Sando FC head coach and former Soca Warriors stand-out Angus Eve has accused Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick of misleading local football fans on several issues—not least regarding the Warriors’ supposed 5-0 win over Sando, earlier this month.

On 23 January, Fenwick posted on Facebook that his outfit had just crushed a Club Sando Select team 5-0 with a ‘resolute team performance’.

Eve and Sando managing director Eddie Dean swore that never happened.

“We never played the national team any game,” Eve told Wired868. “Some of the Club Sando players may have been involved in a pick-up game [against the national team], but to say we played them is something very different.

“[…] WIN TV ran a story based on Fenwick’s post that he beat Club Sando, but we never played them.”

Fenwick did not respond to Wired868’s request for comment. The Warriors did beat an outfit 5-0 on that day. But the suggestion that the Englishman is uncertain about which team he came up against, might be indicative of the value of those practice games.

Eve said Fenwick’s social media posts, which cooed about how his national team was getting on, created a false narrative for football fans. Fenwick even refereed the matches himself and passed instructions on to his players while doing so.

“I went to watch two of their scrimmages and when I saw the coach in the middle of the field refereeing the games—it didn’t sit well with me,” said Eve, who is a former National Under-23 and and Under-17 Team head coach. “It was misleading to the public of Trinidad and Tobago to be equating pick-up games with teams that were not training with real games, so as to make people feel they were playing proper teams.

“All that was happening is these coaches were giving their players the chance to be seen by the national coach and trying to help the national team’s programme. So they took games they knew they were not ready for, and then the national coach used them for his own devices.”

Arguably, Fenwick learned a thing or two about taking a game he was not ready for on Sunday, as a fresh-faced, local-based United States team battered his players in much the same way that they treated makeshift local opposition. The end result was a 7-0 loss, which tied a national record set 21 years ago against Mexico at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.

Fenwick blamed the lopsided scoreline primarily on the difference between the developmental programmes of the two nations, as well as the supposed failure of newly assimilated North America-based players to grasp and implement his tactics.

Eve said he was confused by the national coach’s statements.

“If as national team coach he has 20-something people in training, is it that he is saying he doesn’t think those players are of national quality and the ones he brought from the US are national quality?” asked Eve. “But then he turned around and contradicted himself by apologising for not using the local players. So now is he saying the American system that produced the players he used for the game is also shit?”

Ironically, Eve got his first top level coaching job as assistant to Fenwick at San Juan Jabloteh—roughly 13 years ago—before he went on to work as head coach at St Ann’s Rangers, North East Stars and Club Sando. He also regularly scoops up titles in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) as Naparima College head coach.

Eve still holds the mark as Trinidad and Tobago’s most capped player of all-time in Fifa-recognised fixtures, despite spending almost his entire career playing locally. He criticised ‘the last three coaches’ for ‘not recognising the local players’.

“I remember [then San Juan Jabloteh winger] Nathan Lewis was a player who everyone was saying should be on the national team and it wasn’t happening,” said Eve. “Then Nathan signed with one of the USL teams, and within a week he was called up to the national team [by then head coach Dennis Lawrence].

“I think a lot of coaches disrespect the work done by the local coaches in the colleges league and beyond […] but when a local player gets a sporting scholarship from one of those universities in America, doesn’t that mean those schools believe the player is developed well enough that they can come in and help their programme?

“The likes of Kevin Molino and so on left in their 20s to become professional players, which means their development was done right here in Trinidad. Not so?

“Yes, we know the local leagues and clubs are not perfect, because we are working with limited resources. But at the same time, local coaches don’t get the respect they deserve.”

(Editor’s Note: Nathan Lewis had two international caps under Stephen Hart and 11 under Dennis Lawrence before he moved abroad to play professionally.)

Trinidad and Tobago’s embarrassing scoreline against the United States, according to Eve, owed more to Fenwick’s approach than our issues in developing players. First, he said, the former England 1986 World Cup defender employed questionable tactics for the match.

Why on earth did Fenwick choose to use a high press against the Concacaf powerhouse?

“If your team is presumably not as fit as the other team then tactical fitness has to come into play, which is reserving the amount of running your team has to do as opposed to the other team,” said Eve. “When you play a team like Liverpool or Manchester City, you know you won’t have much of the ball, which means your team will have to run more. So you play with a low block, which will suit unfit players better anyhow.

“Also America did one thing all day, which was put the ball down and get it down the flank where the winger would run inside with his full back going outside of him. We never addressed that all day…”

Eve brushed aside Fenwick’s explanations regarding the difference in preparation between the two nations. He suggested that the Warriors coach made a rod for his own back.

“The American professional league broke in November and [the US players] were in camp from the 9th of January, whereas we were training for five or six months,” said Eve. “So we had more time with our players than the American coach did; and the American team had a lot of debutants too. The only difference is [Gregg Berhalter] had his players in camp, so he could see what they could do—unlike looking at a player on YouTube, where people post only the good bits.

“It would have given the coach a lot more credibility if he used the players he had seen and assessed over the last five months. You can’t coach players for four months and not get what you want [from them].”

Again, Eve bemoaned the perceived ‘disrespect’ shown to local players.

“If a group is with me for four odd months, I would not keep a player for that long unless I think he is of a particular standard,” he said. “So now I need to assess them after four months of training in a friendly against opponents other than ourselves—and those games he was taking in Trinidad were not valid games.

“Based on the sacrifice those players were making for four or five months, in coming to training every other day and not getting a salary or a stipend, they should have gotten the opportunity to play that game.

“And you saw the four of five players who were training [locally], when they came on there was finally some semblance of play.”

Eve pleaded with supporters to give 24-year-old defender Josiah Trimmingham a second chance, after his performance—and waistline—came in for biting commentary on Sunday.

Trimmingham plays in the United States’ third tier and is a former Club Sando and national youth team player.

“I know Josiah well and he is normally a reliable, solid player, but what hampered him in the game is his physical condition,” said Eve. “He was [Fenwick’s] captain and I know that baffled a lot of people; but the coach has his decision to make and each one of us as coaches has to live and die by his decisions.

“In my opinion, I would not have put him as captain because there were more experienced players on the park. When I looked at the team huddles, the most vocal player was Alvin [Jones].

“But the coach would know why he chose Josiah over the more recognisable players. He is working with them and I am not; I am just commenting on what I saw.”

Trinidad and Tobago hope to have two more warm-up matches against Dominica and the St Vincent and the Grenadines, later this month, before the Qatar 2022 World Cup campaign starts in March.

The Warriors are due to host Guyana in their opening qualifier on 25 March. Eve would hope that Fenwick steadies his ship by then, to give Trinidad and Tobago the best chance of progression.

Image: Soca Warriors head coach Terry Fenwick claims a 5-0 win over a ‘Club Sando Select’ Team.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:20:03 PM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2021, 04:36:26 AM »

Eve said Fenwick’s social media posts, which cooed about how his national team was getting on, created a false narrative for football fans. Fenwick even refereed the matches himself and passed instructionns  to his players while doing so.

“I went to watch two of their scrimmages and when I saw the coach in the middle of the field refereeing the games—it didn’t sit well with me,” said Eve, who is a former National Under-23 and and Under-17 Team head coach. “It was misleading to the public of Trinidad and Tobago to be equating pick-up games with teams that were not training with real games, so as to make people feel they were playing proper teams.

“All that was happening is these coaches were giving their players the chance to be seen by the national coach and trying to help the national team’s programme. So they took games they knew they were not ready for, and then the national coach used them for his own devices.”

Buh what is this
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:38:32 AM by Trini _2022 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2021, 04:42:18 AM »

Eve said Fenwick’s social media posts, which cooed about how his national team was getting on, created a false narrative for football fans. Fenwick even refereed the matches himself and passed instructionns  to his players while doing so.

Buh what is this

Even coaching U16 school football, this is usually not done. You can't do both well, from personal experience.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »

Buh what is this

Even coaching U16 school football, this is usually not done. You can't do both well, from personal experience.

Actually, that happened a lot in primary and secondary school football....... at least long ago.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2021, 05:16:16 PM »

Buh what is this

Actually, that happened a lot in primary and secondary school football....... at least long ago.

And happens where the coach doesn't have resources such as a staff. By all reports, the men's senior team has a staff.

The main reason for pointing out the scenario was to underscore that the boasting was not proportionate to match reality.

Control and image at play.

Not the biggest deal. It came with the gift wrapping.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »

Buh what is this

And happens where the coach doesn't have resources such as a staff. By all reports, the men's senior team has a staff.

The main reason for pointing out the scenario was to underscore that the boasting was not proportionate to match reality.

Control and image at play.

There was no need to talk about those scrimmages unless asked by the media. And in any event, the celebratory tone was not necessary.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2021, 06:42:58 PM »

There was no need to talk about those scrimmages unless asked by the media. And in any event, the celebratory tone was not necessary.

Fully agree.

It's also a departure from what's customary. At most levels, scrimmage results are not published or treated with any level of significance other than for arriving at conclusions within an organization.

I think it's unfortunate that the scrimmage talk has resulted in static because the volume around football needs to be lowered.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2021, 01:29:52 PM »
LISTEN: Trinidad and Tobago’s most capped Men’s National Senior Team footballer, 1991 Fifa U-20 World Cup ace, and Naparima College stand-out coach Angus Eve talks about his apprenticeship under Ron La Forest, pointers from Russell Latapy, Dwight Yorke and David Nakhid, Bertille St Clair’s life lesson, developing Kevin Molino and Kerry Baptiste, and the Presentation College San Fernando rivalry.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G4l-InrXnGE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G4l-InrXnGE</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »
just hoping and praying that this loud mouth don't get control of the national team, i'd rather see jamal shabazz than angus TBH.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »
Angus Eve would be a big mistake for T&T head coach.

Yuh could kiss all foreign based players good buy.

He fail as T&T youth coach when the TTFA had money, now they don't, what make you think he go do better.

He was coach for de under 20 and under 23 and fail big time.

We have no good local coaches because all of them stock on one level and have the same mentality.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:07:56 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2021, 11:08:59 PM »

He fail as T&T youth coach when the TTFA had money, now they don't, what make you think he go do better.

We have no good local coaches because all of them stock on one level and have the same mentality.
thank you very much, i couldn't have said it any better myself. they went and fire a coach three weeks away from the gold cup qualifications to start all over with a new coach, very smart people indeed. normally a smart federation would have left the assistant coaches to carry on until the gold cup is over to hire a new coach. now they're considering a man who took a way bigger beating than fenwick in his many roles as national coach. i never forgot that 8 nil loss to mexico U23 ten years ago.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »

thank you very much, i couldn't have said it any better myself. they went and fire a coach three weeks away from the gold cup qualifications to start all over with a new coach, very smart people indeed. normally a smart federation would have left the assistant coaches to carry on until the gold cup is over to hire a new coach. now they're considering a man who took a way bigger beating than fenwick in his many roles as national coach. i never forgot that 8 nil loss to mexico U23 ten years ago.

eve only coached  the under 23 team ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
no mate, he was involved in either the U15 or U20 just recently, i'm sure of it. none the less, what have he achieved to merit coaching the national team? at least terry won quite a few pro league tittles and coached against better opposition in the concacaf champions league to merit the post.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
no mate, he was involved in either the U15 or U20 just recently, i'm sure of it. none the less, what have he achieved to merit coaching the national team? at least terry won quite a few pro league tittles and coached against better opposition in the concacaf champions league to merit the post.

He was appointed under 17 coach recently.....but due to coivd everything was cut short....

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »

well Sam de word out there is he got the job. Just waiting to appoint his staff.   

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »
The only thing is angus has a bias towards the local players but I wish him the best

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2021, 02:31:57 PM »

He was appointed under 17 coach recently.....but due to coivd everything was cut short....
you still haven't answered me, what did angus achieve that made him suitable for this job?

CFU seem to be the only region in football where any ole former football player with no experience and zero accomplishments could walk in and coach your national team, there's no serious approach to the sport here in CFU that's why we get owned by the north and central americans in the confederation, we have no structure what so ever, which spells failure down the line and many more years to come.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2021, 02:36:24 PM »
The only thing is angus has a bias towards the local players but I wish him the best
not just angus, all these local coaches. they are some toxic bastards, i'm hoping we lose to monseratt just to hear the xenophobic donkeys like andre and brian williams make excuses for him like they made for dennis lawrence.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »
not just angus, all these local coaches. they are some toxic bastards, i'm hoping we lose to monseratt just to hear the xenophobic donkeys like andre and brian williams make excuses for him like they made for dennis lawrence.

Up to now yuh still eh say who you would hire.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2021, 03:29:03 PM »

you still haven't answered me, what did angus achieve that made him suitable for this job?

CFU seem to be the only region in football where any ole former football player with no experience and zero accomplishments could walk in and coach your national team, there's no serious approach to the sport here in CFU that's why we get owned by the north and central americans in the confederation, we have no structure what so ever, which spells failure down the line and many more years to come.

well he did have against results in the pan american games and the  caribbean olympic qualifiers ..... btw he is just filling in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0YPy2BDs1Y

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
Heard Eve requested Hutson Baba Charles and Reynold Carrington to be his assistants

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Angus Eve takes over from Fenwick
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2021, 07:49:38 PM »
Angus Eve takes over from Fenwick
T&T Guardian

The FIFA appointed Normalisation Committee (NC) of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has appointed Angus Eve on Sunday as Interim head coach of the T&T senior men's team ahead of the Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Round which takes place next month.

Eve, the coach of Naparima College on accepting the position, which runs until August 31, told TTFA Media that: “I’m really honoured and privileged to have this opportunity to continue to represent my country. I’m committed to providing a lift to Trinidad and Tobago, especially in this time where we are battling with so many different adversities at the same time.”

With the Gold Cup around the corner where the Soca Warriors will face off against Montserrat on July 2 in Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA, the appointment of an Interim head coach had to be made in very short order. As such, a selection panel of NC member Nicholas Gomez, former national coach and Technical director Anton Corneal and former national players Anthony Sherwood and Richard Chinapoo met on Saturday to finalize the selection of the replacement for Englishman Terry Fenwick, who was fired on Friday, along while the staff of assistant Kelvin Jack and Derek King were also relieved of their duties.

Eve, 49, a former national player was recommended to the NC as the preferred candidate.

NC Chairman Robert Hadad stated, “We thank the previous coaching staff for their commitment and efforts. We now look forward to the Gold Cup competition and wish Angus all the best. We will do our very best to support him and the team.”

The NC will be consulting with Eve to finalize his coaching staff.

After the Gold Cup, a process overseen by an independent selection panel will invite and review applications, in anticipation of appointing the new Senior Men’s National Team head coach in September 2021.

RELATED NEWS

Ex-national footballers temper expectations: Eve no magic man.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

FORMER national footballers Brian Williams and Densill Theobald have both endorsed the decision to appoint Angus Eve as the interim T&T men's senior football coach, but said Eve has a tough job on his hands in turning around T&T football.

A media release on Sunday, said, "The FIFA-appointed normalisation committee of the TT Football Association (TTFA) has appointed Angus Eve as interim head coach ahead of the Gold Cup preliminary round, which takes place in early July 2021."

On accepting the position, which runs until August 31, 2021, Eve told TTFA Media, “I’m really honoured and privileged to have this opportunity to continue to represent my country. I’m committed to provide a lift to T&T, especially in this time where we are battling with so many different adversities at the same time.”

Williams, in an interview with Newsday, said, "From my perspective I think it is a great opportunity, a great choice at this point in time taking into consideration the present footballing atmosphere in T&T."

The former Strike Squad defender said the T&T public should not expect Eve to make an immediate impact. "I know it is going to be a difficult job. Remember he is not no magic man, we got to be patient with him...because going to the Gold Cup will be a great challenge for him and he has limited time."

Discussing what Eve will bring to the table, Williams said, "What I think Angus could bring is a bit of cohesiveness among the players and what has been missing with the national team for the longest while, which is national pride." Williams said the national players would have seen Eve play for T&T which will help them develop a connection with him. Williams also called on all national coaches to support each other.

Terry Fenwick, along with assistant coaches Derek King and Kelvin Jack were fired on Friday days after being eliminated from the first round of the 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign. Eve, a former national player, has coached many teams during his career. He is the coach at Naparima College and at Club Sando and is a former T&T junior coach.

Theobald, a former national team-mate of Eve, said, "I wish Angus Eve all the best. I thought he was knocking on the door of T&T football in terms of coaching for a long while. I know that he is competent coach."

Theobald also said people cannot expect miracles. "I know it is not going to be an easy task for him in terms of what lies ahead, but I know once he gets hold of the job, he gets hold of the players that he wants to choose and be part of his set up...I know that he has a bright future ahead in terms of the national team."

The former midfielder said Eve will bring his style of play to T&T football. Theobald said Eve will bring the best out of the players, the team will be well organised and T&T will have energy and aggression.

The TTFA release added, “With the Gold Cup around the corner, the appointment of an interim head coach had to be made in very short order. As such, a selection panel of normalisation committee member Nicholas Gomez, Anton Corneal, Anthony Sherwood and Richard Chinapoo met on the 12 June to finalise the selection of the interim head coach and Eve was recommended to the normalisation committee as the preferred candidate.

Normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad said, “We thank the previous coaching staff for their commitment and efforts. We now look forward to the Gold Cup competition and wish Angus all the best. We will do our very best to support him and the team.”

The normalisation committee will be consulting with Eve to finalize his coaching staff.

After the Gold Cup, a process overseen by an independent selection panel will invite and review applications, in anticipation of appointing the new senior men’s national team head coach in September 2021.

This story was originally published with the title "New coach Angus Eve to 'lift' Trinidad and Tobago football" and has been adjusted to include additional details. See original post below.

The Normalisation Committee has appointed Angus Eve as the Interim Head Coach of the Senior Men’s National Team.

The FIFA-appointed normalisation committee of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has appointed Angus Eve as interim head coach ahead of the Gold Cup preliminary round, which takes place in early July 2021.

On accepting the position, which runs until 31st August 2021, Eve told TTFA media, “I’m really honoured and privileged to have this opportunity to continue to represent my country. I’m committed to provide a lift to T&T, especially in this time where we are battling with so many different adversities at the same time.”

Terry Fenwick, along with assistant coaches Derek King and Kelvin Jack were fired on Friday day after being eliminated from the first round of the 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign. Eve, a former national player, has coached many teams during his career. He is the coach at Naparima College and at Club Sando and is a former T&T junior coach.

The release added, “With the Gold Cup around the corner, the appointment of an interim head coach had to be made in very short order. As such, a selection panel of normalisation committee member Nicholas Gomez, Anton Corneal, Anthony Sherwood and Richard Chinapoo met on the 12 June to finalize the selection of the interim head coach and Eve was recommended to the normalisation committee as the preferred candidate.

Normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad said, “We thank the previous coaching staff for their commitment and efforts. We now look forward to the Gold Cup competition and wish Angus all the best. We will do our very best to support him and the team.”

The normalisation committee will be consulting with Eve to finalize his coaching staff.

After the Gold Cup, a process overseen by an independent selection panel will invite and review applications, in anticipation of appointing the new senior men’s national team head coach in September 2021.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:33:19 AM by Flex »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2021, 08:12:17 PM »
I willing to give Eve ah chance, Fenwick who plenty people on here wanted to give ah chance got his and did f**k all, to quote d english, so given d shit state we find ourselves in, he is d best budget candidate for this interim role local bias notwithstanding
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2021, 01:51:06 AM »
Heard Eve requested Hutson Baba Charles and Reynold Carrington to be his assistants

That crossed my mind as a possibility.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2021, 02:16:39 AM »
I willing to give Eve ah chance, Fenwick who plenty people on here wanted to give ah chance got his and did f**k all, to quote d english, so given d shit state we find ourselves in, he is d best budget candidate for this interim role local bias notwithstanding

Fenwick emerged as a consensus candidate, had support, had his chance, rose to some challenges, did not overcome other challenges, squandered goodwill and fell to a reasonable accounting at the appropriate moment (the end of the qualifying round).

In some matters he projected as professional, in others impatient, in some transparently political and in others as lacking diplomacy and restraint. What he didn't project was a defensible or convincing template of play regardless of the players involved. His downfall is due to that last item - the thing it was most important to get right.

Nonetheless, he's still left with the possibility of parading or peddling his win-loss record and club achievements within the Caribbean, where one of the "minnows" or adventurous teams may find his credentials or rehabilitation attractive. Yuh just never know.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:32:25 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>