March 29, 2024, 01:56:45 AM

Author Topic: U-23s spank Suriname 9-1 to clinch Olympic final round qualifying spot.  (Read 5960 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
U-23s spank Suriname 9-1 to clinch Olympic final round qualifying spot.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympic footballers pulled off a sensational 9-1 victory over Suriname on Monday night to clinch a place in the CONCACAF Final Round of Olympic qualification in the United States next March.

After going down 5-2 to hosts St Kitts/Nevis on Saturday, T&T went into their final encounter needing to win by at least six clear goals to have any hopes of sneaking one of the two spots and they delivered all the goods to prove their doubters wrong, totally dominating a shell-shocked Suriname team that had opened with a 1-0 win over the hosts on Thursday night before losing 4-2 to Cuba.

The Cubans got a second half equalizer to hold the Kittitians 1-1 in Monday’s second match to top the group with five points. T&T ended on a plus five goal difference and St Kitts on a plus two.

T&T and Cuba will now join hosts USA, Mexico, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras and Panama in the final round from March 22-April 2 in Nashville, Kansas and Carson. The teams will be split into two groups with the top two teams from each advancing to the semi-final stage and the finalists advancing to the 2012 London Olympics. The draw for that tournament will be made soon.

Following the team’s disappointing showing on Saturday, head coach Angus Eve appeared to have a mountainous task to prepare his players for a challenge that was not new to them. They had to  defeat Dominica by four clear goals to come out of the previous CFU round and accomplished that convincingly.

No one had however  expected a 5-2 loss to St Kitts which was orchestrated mainly by English-born West Bromwich midfielder Romain Sawyers. But T&T’s Kevin Molino had other things on his mind. The Orlando City midfielder was in ripping form, hitting a first half hattrick to give T&T a 4-0 cushion at the break. But the job was still far from over at that stage.

Eve maintained that his squad had the right depth and made seven changes to his starting team from the one that lost to St Kitts.

Coming into the team for the first time was Caledonia AIA defender Nuru Abdullah Muhammad, St Ann’s Rangers Kareem Moses and W Connection’s Jomal Williams while goalkeeper Andre Marchan retained his spot and FC Santa Rosa’s Jean Luc Rochford, Micah Lewis and Jayson Joseph were also included. Joseph was used in a right back position instead of his accustomed left midfield role.

Molino was pushed into the forward line to partner Jamal Gay after playing all the previous matches dating back to the Pan American Games in midfield. And he didn’t fail to deliver. Molino and  Lewis combined perfectly and the Surinamese defence struggled to contain them.

Molino opened T&T’s account with a clinical finish from inside the box on a Lewis delivery.  His other  goals would come in similar fashion while Lewis put his name on the scoresheet when he connected well on a Joevin Jones cross.

Sean De Silva netted when he hit home on a rebound after his penalty hit was saved following a foul on Lewis. Molino then added his fourth after a build up that left the Suriname defense in disarray.

Lewis added a second item while Gay scored his second and third goals of the tournament to push the T&T tally to a mark that left them in a comfortable position.

But they kept going at their opponents and the Surinamese goalkeeper had no less than nine good stops to make to prevent his team from falling further behind. Gay also missed his hattrick near the end with a couple efforts being saved and narrowly missing the upright.

Eve was elated with the team’s comeback performance, crediting belief and strong character for the swift response.

“We stayed positive and as I said before, I believed in the ability of the players in this squad and I knew we were capable of better. I thought we could have been better against St Kitts but they were very much up for that match and they took  their chances. Tonight it was our turn to turn it up a notch,” Eve told TTFF Media

“Almost everyone wrote us off including the fans but we’ve been here before and the boys knew that they had to dig deep if they wanted to stay alive.

I trained with them in the session after the last game just to try and pick them up a bit and I opted for starting all the guys who didn’t previously play in the tournament.  I’m happy to say that everyone gave an excellent display tonight.  It was like holding back a horse and just letting it loose in the case of the new boys,” Eve added

Goals were hard to come by despite the numerous chances that came T&T’s way in the previous games and Eve went on to say “Goalscoring has been a problem for us so for this game I opted to put Molino up front with Jamal Gay.

Molino has an exceptional presence in midfield but the boys have always been wanting to get the ball to him because they love teaming up with him. So by pushing him up alongside Gay it meant that the ball would get closer to him near or around the 18-yard and Gay kept winning all the high balls. Kevin was right there to latch on.

“I also said to them, using the AC Milan 4-0 win over Chievo on the weekend as an example, that we had a job to complete and we would do it goal by goal and play the game half by half.

So we knew we wanted to be up by at least four goals in the first half and then we had another four or more to get in the second half.  And with every goal the boys knew they had to pick the ball up and get it to the centre of the pitch to get going again.”

With this round out of the way, TTFF’s Marketing  did indicate in prior discussions with coaches and staff members that those who were previously on monthly stipends would be in line for contract offers for the new year and Anthony Harford has assured that new discussions will be held regarding this, once details are finalized with the Ministry of Sport which previously noted that part funding from the 2014 World Cup campaign would be utilized for the 2012 Olympic campaign.

T&T start team: Andre Marchan, Joevin Jones, Jeromie Williams,  Jayson Joseph, Kareem Moses, Nuru Abdullah-Muhammad, Jomal Williams, Micah Lewis, Jean-Luc Rochford, Kevin Molino, Jamal Gay.

Final Standings.

P  W  T  L  GF  GA  GD  Pts
Cuba  3  1  2  0  6  4  +2  5
Trinidad & Tobago  3  1  1  1  12  7  +5  4 
St Kitts & Nevis  3  1  1  1  6  4  +2  4
Suriname  3  1  0  2  4  13  -9  3
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:56:42 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-23s spank Suriname 9-1 to clinch Olympic final round qualifying spot.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
Hmmmm... I suspect Eve doesn't know what his best team is.
Nevertheless, congrats to him and his team!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
To be honest this should have been the kinda scores against both kitts and Cuba ....congrats boys keep working

P.s. Bring back Paul

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
To be honest this should have been the kinda scores against both kitts and Cuba ....congrats boys keep working

P.s. Bring back Paul
No offence eh bro but that is the type of arrogant thinking by fans, administrators and players that have us where we are in football. Times have changed and on any given day we could lose to any team in the caribbean. We are no longer power houses, those days are longgggg gone.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
Hmmmm... I suspect Eve doesn't know what his best team is.
Nevertheless, congrats to him and his team!!

True,, but at least he still have options to add
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
Who else notice, anytime Shahdon Winchester dont play T&T does win....  :rotfl:

I hope Eve dont build de tam around one player like Otto did with Jones....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:19:23 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
otto didn't build d team around jones, i believe eve needs to understand his team more better. i wish them d best...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Molino was pushed into the forward line to partner Jamal Gay after playing all the previous matches dating back to the Pan American Games in midfield. And he didn’t fail to deliver. Molino and  Lewis combined perfectly and the Surinamese defence struggled to contain them.

Goals were hard to come by despite the numerous chances that came T&T’s way in the previous games and Eve went on to say “Goalscoring has been a problem for us so for this game I opted to put Molino up front with Jamal Gay.

Molino has an exceptional presence in midfield but the boys have always been wanting to get the ball to him because they love teaming up with him. So by pushing him up alongside Gay it meant that the ball would get closer to him near or around the 18-yard and Gay kept winning all the high balls. Kevin was right there to latch on.

Is this the first time Molino has been utilised as a striker by any team?

Seems to have been a very good tactical adjustment by Eve here.  It certainly had the desired results.

Perhaps Molino will be utilised in a similar manner (playing just off a big striker a la Kenwyne Jones) in the future including the senior team
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
Nothing new here. Molino is just playing the inside forward as they used to call it long ago. At least in this last game He partnered well with Gay. Is this the combination that Eve is looking for ? who knows. But if it is, then Angus will have to find someone to fill Molino's old spot. DaSilva?, Roget? Let's see.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:05:03 PM by Deeks »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
Nothing new here. Molino is just playing the inside forward as they used to call it long ago. At least in this last game He partnered well with Gay. Is this the combination that Eve is looking for ? who knows. But if it is, then Angus will have to find someone to fill Molino's old spot. DaSilva?, Roget? Let's see.

Well it seemed to be new for Molino.

BTW...if what Molino played was called inside forward  back in de day, what was de position dat Gay play called back then?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
BTW...if what Molino played was called inside forward  back in de day, what was de position dat Gay play called back then?

Center forward!

To me position eh mean nothing. Positional play, awareness of the opposing play, marking(especially in the box) and the ability to go back and forth(fitness) are what matters.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
Ooh Guuude ::)
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:47:33 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGdMaaDbOto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CGdMaaDbOto</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:05 AM »
Ah liked Eve's frank assessment of de loss tuh St. Kitts. And here we go again wit de issue of de non-payment of salary.  :frustrated:

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
Ah liked Eve's frank assessment of de loss tuh St. Kitts. And here we go again wit de issue of de non-payment of salary.  :frustrated:
Lord....pay de people nah.

I also liked how Eve made it clear that the preparation for at least a week in NA and a week in SA is crucial given the contrasting styles of the teams in the tourney.
TTFF, over to you!
well yes

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »
Very good interview!!

Will there be a draw for the groups in the next round? Or has it already been determined?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Will there be a draw for the groups in the next round? Or has it already been determined?

Yes, there will be a draw.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »

Agreed. It seems like arrogance and a sense of entitlement have been infecting T&T teams on the whole when coming against Caribbean opposition. Our players need to awaken to the fact that the rest of the Caribbean, apart from Jamaica (which has long cemented its credentials as a Caribbean footballing power), is catching up.

Eve made good points about the need for proper North American tours and possibly a tour to Venezuela to be organized.

However, based on the past myopic stances of the footballing administration, I do not feel too confident that this would happen.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:39:01 PM by kaliman2006 »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
I found myself comparing Angus Eve's post game comments with those I heard from Russel Latapy after a game.  Angus was a breath of fresh air.  Honest, analytical, and realistic.  Despite Latapy's genius on the field, he displayed a lack of understanding of media communication.  Now I wonder if that inability to communicate extended to his players.  Not every genius player makes a good coach!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
shameful/disturbing/ the issue of nonpayment ...>..arise once more .<.. the question is why are these assigned local coaches for  e,g .and its personnel  not being paid is beyond  me  .  this is a serious issue , this is not volunteerism,football is their job,, these guys have a family or families to take care of ,.. what de  :cursing: is wrong with the administrators are they really serious. ?????  in addition i will really like to know how many of those @the ttff willing to forego their salaries ,?? in order that  angus eve and  his staff assigned are paid  for their services......am almost certain the obvious answer to that is an emphatic nooooo!!! imagine  in a country that resourcefully blessed ...god  forbid i get political here !!. it cannot  afford  to pay its local coaching staff ..what frustration .. i can only shake my head at the moment.... angus eve  i surely hope all these issues will be resolved soon real soon ...best wishes  coach angus once again........!!! a side note (mr sports minister Anil Roberts ) hopefully u come here on this site  in order to see the views expressed ......do the right thing  and put to rest the issues of non payment to the coaching staff s.......... damn  do the right thing....i guess its called the unequal distribution of wealth ....  : this is embarassing no doubt it is!!!!

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
allyuh eh find something strange everytime TNT win a game mr reggaefan does dissapear?.. I hope we keep winning so I ah have to hear him boosting about loosing RB loosing bad to "strong teams"
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
bout fire Angus!!! Yuh eh see allyuh f**kin mad!!! :rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
shameful/disturbing/ the issue of nonpayment ...>..arise once more .<.. the question is why are these assigned local coaches for  e,g .and its personnel  not being paid is beyond  me  .  this is a serious issue , this is not volunteerism,football is their job,, these guys have a family or families to take care of ,.. what de  :cursing: is wrong with the administrators are they really serious. ?????  in addition i will really like to know how many of those @the ttff willing to forego their salaries ,?? in order that  angus eve and  his staff assigned are paid  for their services......am almost certain the obvious answer to that is an emphatic nooooo!!! imagine  in a country that resourcefully blessed ...god  forbid i get political here !!. it cannot  afford  to pay its local coaching staff ..what frustration .. i can only shake my head at the moment.... angus eve  i surely hope all these issues will be resolved soon real soon ...best wishes  coach angus once again........!!! a side note (mr sports minister Anil Roberts ) hopefully u come here on this site  in order to see the views expressed ......do the right thing  and put to rest the issues of non payment to the coaching staff s.......... damn  do the right thing....i guess its called the unequal distribution of wealth ....  : this is embarassing no doubt it is!!!!

Is it really the Sports Minister's job to make sure T&T coaches at all levels are paid?
And if so what is really the job of the TTFF executive?
Is the TTFF executive's job just to get perks and to pay themselves all the government and FIFA money they can lay their hands on but do nothing positive for the development of our football?!!  ???

Anyway this is no surprise as the TTFF are still owing our 2006 World Cup players their bonus money!
They have a shameless tradition of not paying their local coaching staff and players!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:15:09 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
bout fire Angus!!! Yuh eh see allyuh f**kin mad!!! :rotfl:

fire he backside, oui!!! :devil:

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
allyuh eh find something strange everytime TNT win a game mr reggaefan does dissapear?.. I hope we keep winning so I ah have to hear him boosting about loosing RB loosing bad to "strong teams"
war

He almost had me fooled (I was momentarily duped by the seemingly moderate tone of his posts), but I finally make him out. Hopefully, he is not representative of all Jamaica football fans.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 02:54:47 AM »
Angus is off to a really good start as a coach.  Really good start.  The Administration needs to provide this fella with everything possible to assure this team of success.  However, I wouldn't start passing out cookies because we beat Suriname 9-1.  Let's wait for the next rounds with the big boys.  I must admit I am very hopefully to see the manifested potential this team has hinted at.  If Angus is able to deliver the goods at that level I will say that he's actually out from under Vranes' shadow (Rome wasn't built in a day).   If he's able to return T&T football to a winning tradition, I would offer him the big job and give him a well funded program for the next 6 years. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »
Any highlights

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
Angus is off to a really good start as a coach.  Really good start.  The Administration needs to provide this fella with everything possible to assure this team of success.  However, I wouldn't start passing out cookies because we beat Suriname 9-1.  Let's wait for the next rounds with the big boys.  I must admit I am very hopefully to see the manifested potential this team has hinted at.  If Angus is able to deliver the goods at that level I will say that he's actually out from under Vranes' shadow (Rome wasn't built in a day).   If he's able to return T&T football to a winning tradition, I would offer him the big job and give him a well funded program for the next 6 years. 

If he can get this team to continue performing he should be extended long term and made an assistant to the senior team.  This would ensure that you have someone who can bring out their best as well as understand their abilities when they get their opportunity with the seniors.  And being that in a few years we should really be having the core of this squad tranfer over to the seniors it would make it more of a necessity than a mere suggestion.  No reason why Corneal should have such a role when Eve has these boys delivering the goods.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
Yes Sir......     But I would just give him the job if he keeps this up.  Them fellas ain't go be under 23 forever.  So if Angus bring wins he will also bring the chemistry.  Keep Cornmeal away from these fellas.   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
Yes Sir......     But I would just give him the job if he keeps this up.  Them fellas ain't go be under 23 forever.  So if Angus bring wins he will also bring the chemistry.  Keep Cornmeal away from these fellas.   ;D

Well I say assistant only because I imagine someone will already be in the HC position.  Corneal need to get exile from T&T football

1]; } ?>