March 28, 2024, 09:28:15 AM

Author Topic: The destruction of T&Ts international reputation courtesy of Mr Warner  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com

JACK WARNER'S continued presence in the country's Cabinet amid allegations of bribery is believed to be an integral element in the perception of corruption in Trinidad and Tobago being at its all-time worst.

This statement was made by Trinidad and Tobago Transparency Institute (TTTI) chairman, Richard Joseph, at a press conference to announce the results of the 2011 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) yesterday.

Trinidad and Tobago has been ranked 91 out of 183 with a score of 3.2 out of ten, the results of this years CPI has stated.

It is the lowest ranking this country has ever attained since being included in the CPI for the first time in 2001.

In 2001 Trinidad and Tobago was ranked 31 out of 91 countries and scored 5.3 out of ten.

Last year this country was ranked 73 out of 178 countries with a score of 3.6.

Joseph described the change in ranking from 73 to 91 as a "precipitous drop".

The CPI ranks countries based on how corrupt their public sector is perceived to be and is a combination of surveys drawing on corruption-related data collected by a variety of reputable institutions . It reflects the views of observers from around the world, including experts living and working in the countries evaluated, Joseph said.

The CPI uses a simple form of indexing to arrive at a score ranging between zero, perceived to be the most corrupt, and ten, perceived to be the least corrupt.

Joseph said despite promises made on the campaign trail by the Kamla Persad-Bissessar led People's Partnership administration, not much has been done to tackle the issue of corruption.

"The 2011 CPI results suggest that there is a widely held perception that the issue of corruption in Trinidad and Tobago has not as yet been comprehensively addressed by the authorities," Joseph said.

"Two major campaign promises from the 2010 General Election that could have reversed this perception are still to be addressed - those are the implementation of the recommendations of the (John) Uff Enquiry into the Construction Sector and the enacting of new public sector procurement legislation," Joseph said.

Joseph said several incidents in the past year have also raised questions about the government's "avowed commitment to transparency and accountability".

"These include Minister Jack Warner's continued presence in the administration and many allegations about improper procurement and poor governance practices at some State agencies," Joseph said.

Warner is the Minister of Works and Infrastructure.

At a CFU special meeting on May 10 and 11 at the Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain, former FIFA presidential hopeful Mohamed bin Hamman allegedly offered bribes of US$40,000 each to 26 football officials from the region in exchange for votes.

Warner, who facilitated the meeting in May, subsequently resigned all his football positions after 28 years in FIFA's high command after an investigation was launched into the bribery allegations.

"While the Administration has insisted on selectively observing the rules of natural justice in these matters it is possible that, by allowing some incumbents to remain in office while lengthy and still unresolved investigations take place, its reputation has been harmed by association," Joseph said.

"There are other and more appropriate ways of dealing with these matters under current circumstances while adhering to the principles of natural justice," he said.

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has been mandated to investigate a video on the website of British newspaper The Telegraph allegedly showing Warner participating in the delivery of "gifts" from bin Hamman.

Joseph advised Warner to step down until investigations are completed.

"It is difficult to have a Minister in charge of a Ministry with an enormous budget against whom there are corruption allegations. I am not saying he is guilty or innocent or anything and I agree natural justice should take place but we have a country to run and we also have to run it in a certain way and with certain standards," Joseph said.

"I think a standard that is accepted internationally is if somebody is accused of something, they step down, clear their name and then they could come back," he said.

Joseph said a copy of the results of the CPI and the recommendations made by the TTTI have been forwarded to the government.

Senator Nicole Dyer-Griffith, Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday that the Government would release a comment on the CPI results today.

For literally years, I have been pointing out here that Mr Warners continued and increasing controversies are effecting this countrys reputation. Mostly, my comments were dismissed as over reaction or just an anti Warner crusade. Well, heres your proof. Trinidad football has suffered this year because of Warner, and I can tell you that people overseas could not believe such a man could remain in government, particulary after the "bribery scandal"  As you will see from the post below, just a perception of wrongdoing should result in a politician stepping down to avoid embarrassing his party and governments image. We all know that Kamla can't sack her boss, but legislation needs to be introduced that states that any M.P. or senator involved in criminal matters should takeb a leave of absence until the matter is resolved. This may not be natural justice, but even if you are innocent, the fact that youre close enough to a scandal to be mentioned is damaging to reputations.

Here is T&T again listed as corrupt. A couple of weeks ago, T&T was announced one of 11 countries red flagged as a tax haven ripe for money laundering operations.

Citizens really have to wake up and the media are doing an awful job of protecting the interests of the country, instead choosing to protect the interests of certain individuals. I hope this sends a message to Judge Rampersad and Mr Warner eventually goes to prison. At least that will give the country some plus points. Cleaning up T&T won't be done by CEPEP on the sidewalks, it must be done by government. Kamla vowed transparency and anti corruption and has then sat back and let Warner do whatever he wants. What a joke. 

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=55110.0

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The destruction of T&Ts international reputation courtesy of Mr Warner
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:41:22 AM »
For literally years, I have been pointing out here that Mr Warners continued and increasing controversies are effecting this countrys reputation. Mostly, my comments were dismissed as over reaction or just an anti Warner crusade.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much... 99 percent of the posters here on this forum recognize and have acknowledged that Warner's involvement in national affairs, be it on the footballing or political front, tarnishes the country's international reputation.  If you are honest with yourself you'd admit that you are in fact, on an anti-Warner crusade.  Speaking for myself, what has grown old is the sometimes whiny nature of your posts (this post being Exhibit A) and your penchant for belaboring the obvious. Do you honestly think that you care  more about the country's reputation than the rest of us?  Or that you want to rid TnT football of Jack Warner (and corruption) more than the rest of us who have been bedeviled with both for so long? No offense, just being honest.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
For literally years, I have been pointing out here that Mr Warners continued and increasing controversies are effecting this countrys reputation. Mostly, my comments were dismissed as over reaction or just an anti Warner crusade.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much... 99 percent of the posters here on this forum recognize and have acknowledged that Warner's involvement in national affairs, be it on the footballing or political front, tarnishes the country's international reputation.  If you are honest with yourself you'd admit that you are in fact, on an anti-Warner crusade.  Speaking for myself, what has grown old is the sometimes whiny nature of your posts (this post being Exhibit A) and your penchant for belaboring the obvious. Do you honestly think that you care  more about the country's reputation than the rest of us?  Or that you want to rid TnT football of Jack Warner (and corruption) more than the rest of us who have been bedeviled with both for so long? No offense, just being honest.

I have said many times that Warner could have been the best thing to happen to T&T if he had kept on the straight and narrow path. My problem has always been how people laugh off Jacks antics without studying the repurcussions. Regarding the country's reputation, I do believe many people down in Chaguanas don't give a s*it about reputations as long as Jack gives them a US$40 handout. And too many people in power are more focused on themselves earning enough money to retire to Florida than the future of T&T. I, however, have chosen to live in T&T, and while I may criticise elements of the country, it is more out of frustration. If England was a utopia, perhaps I would have stayed there, but its definately not. T&T can be fixed given the right attitude, England is too far gone. So I guess I will continue my campaign for cleaning up T&T and I will continue to question the lack of action by the government (even though we all know the reason). Kamla and Co may feel they can continue this sham, but the sooner they face reality the better. As you saw, TTFF and other flunkies are turning against Jack in public. The same response is now required from the Government. Jack should be removed from Cabinet and have a post created that keeps him away from budgets. He's too valuable to lose, but something needs to change. 

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
Jack Warner is a blight to T&T.

He could fool them Indians in Central but he cant fool everybody.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
I have said many times that Warner could have been the best thing to happen to T&T if he had kept on the straight and narrow path. My problem has always been how people laugh off Jacks antics without studying the repurcussions. Regarding the country's reputation, I do believe many people down in Chaguanas don't give a s*it about reputations as long as Jack gives them a US$40 handout. And too many people in power are more focused on themselves earning enough money to retire to Florida than the future of T&T. I, however, have chosen to live in T&T, and while I may criticise elements of the country, it is more out of frustration. If England was a utopia, perhaps I would have stayed there, but its definately not. T&T can be fixed given the right attitude, England is too far gone. So I guess I will continue my campaign for cleaning up T&T and I will continue to question the lack of action by the government (even though we all know the reason). Kamla and Co may feel they can continue this sham, but the sooner they face reality the better. As you saw, TTFF and other flunkies are turning against Jack in public. The same response is now required from the Government. Jack should be removed from Cabinet and have a post created that keeps him away from budgets. He's too valuable to lose, but something needs to change. 

I don't really disagree with anything that you say... in fact, I'm sure we're both on the same side of this issue.  You just way more passionate than I am lol.  Honestly though, I think your criticism is more applicable to the population at-large in TnT than on this website.  From my many years, first observing, then later participating on this website it seems the majority are in tune with your concerns, and are intimately aware of everything he's done, good and bad, for our football.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »
How long is Jack going to continue to do this to Kamla and other well meaning ministers who are trying to do a  good  job? What a selfish and vindictive   man! It is is about time all the leaders of the coalition sit with Kamla for an emergency meeting to deal with this character! The country invested sooo much in this partnership and Jack is the great spoiler! Where are the right thinking people Mc Leod, Daaga , Ashworth Jack,  Ramadar, Dookeran or even Reginald Dumas? You are all losing credibility which is withering day by day! Once the country loses total confidence , you lose legitimacy and ability to govern! We cannot go into the New Year like this! All Jack's plans for new traffic system and promises to build roads for everybody is not enough to sustain him in office! I have never seen such inaction on a matter that needs attention! With all Mannings shortcomings he would never have allowed something like this to weigh down his government and the country!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
How long is Jack going to continue to do this to Kamla and other well meaning ministers who are trying to do a  good  job? What a selfish and vindictive   man! It is is about time all the leaders of the coalition sit with Kamla for an emergency meeting to deal with this character! The country invested sooo much in this partnership and Jack is the great spoiler! Where are the right thinking people Mc Leod, Daaga , Ashworth Jack,  Ramadar, Dookeran or even Reginald Dumas? You are all losing credibility which is withering day by day! Once the country loses total confidence , you lose legitimacy and ability to govern! We cannot go into the New Year like this! All Jack's plans for new traffic system and promises to build roads for everybody is not enough to sustain him in office! I have never seen such inaction on a matter that needs attention! With all Mannings shortcomings he would never have allowed something like this to weigh down his government and the country!

wait u throwin d utter debacle dat has personified dis govt on Jack d man is a scoundrel but he has actually kept up his end of the bargain (somewhat) wit d serving d people part.....on d surface anyways .................what I sayin ent no vote ah confidence eh, but it have other jokers doing dey own fair share of damage to d PP Anil.........somebody say Anand Ramlogan, how about d goodly transport minister and his shenanigan, even Kams sheself wit d chronic misstep, misspeaks, "late-speaks" and "no speak" on d various bouts of baccanal dat has befallen them since entering gov't
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
To put this in perspective, I've never heard of Jack involved in any shenanagans regarding his political life. He appears dedicated, hard working and could easily lead the country. I could never understand why he did'nt pay the players, resign from FIFA & Concacaf and continue with CFU and TTFF while being a cabinet minister. If he had buried all of this, he would be home free and probably be the next PM.

For someone so clever at plotting and planning, I think he got his biggest challenge completely wrong.

Look how he sold out the British at the World Cup bid. Maybe he genuinely made a decision based on football, but I don't think people believe that. Unfortunately, a characteristic of the British is that they hold a grudge. All though they are not a super power, they hold great political influence and Jacks actions turned them against T&T, because he is part of the government.

Kamla and friends are in the same position as the directors of Clico were. Jack paid for the election, so Jacks the boss. We have no idea what, if any, deals were made, but they chose to sleep with the devil, now they must lie with him. Kamla will be painted in the same light, because of her inability to remove Jack.

And Jack can't resign. He thrives on power and this is his last job. What else can he do....go back to teaching?

Its a real waste of talent. You know, I actually like and admire Jack Warner in many ways. But he appears to have made many bad (or possibly in his case, lucrative) decisions.

If you had a great goalkeeper, supporters favourite, lots of charity work, makes game saving stops, but every 3 games he gives away penalties, passes to opposition strikers and drops the ball consistently, no matter how nice a guy he is, you would drop him. Unless, of course, he owns the team.

Bakes, when I criticise Trinis for putting up with Jack, I'm not really talking about forumites, but the general public.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
My local soccer shop selling TnT jerseys for $20.00 on de discount rack.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »

wait u throwin d utter debacle dat has personified dis govt on Jack d man is a scoundrel but he has actually kept up his end of the bargain (somewhat) wit d serving d people part.....on d surface anyways .................what I sayin ent no vote ah confidence eh, but it have other jokers doing dey own fair share of damage to d PP Anil.........somebody say Anand Ramlogan, how about d goodly transport minister and his shenanigan, even Kams sheself wit d chronic misstep, misspeaks, "late-speaks" and "no speak" on d various bouts of baccanal dat has befallen them since entering gov't

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »

If I was you I would snap them all up, that's a bargain!!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »

I would have but meh wife ban meh from buying any Manchester United, DC United or TnT gear because she say ah wasting meh money. I still have to tell she we get beat by Guyana.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »

I would have but meh wife ban meh from buying any Manchester United, DC United or TnT gear because she say ah wasting meh money. I still have to tell she we get beat by Guyana.

Doh tell she! She might put you outta d house!!  :'(

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »

socapro done buy all de guyanese jerseys  ;D

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »

socapro done buy all de guyanese jerseys  ;D
;)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 03:14:08 AM »
Jack: UNC insiders out to get me
By Richard Lord (Guardian).

Jack Warner Works and Infrastructure Minister Jack Warner says people within and outside the United National Congress are engaging in a campaign to get rid of him.

Warner said that as he dismissed a claim by the chairman of Trinidad and Tobago Transparency Institute, Richard Joseph, that he had contributed to this country’s lower ranking in Transparency International’s 2011 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI). Joseph said Warner’s continued presence in the Cabinet pending investigations against him was adversely affecting the country’s corruption perception.

Investigations are ongoing into allegations of wrongdoing by Warner in his former capacity as vice-president of world football governing body, FIFA.

When reporters approached Warner after the appointment of 115 Traffic Wardens at the Police Academy, St James, Warner said: “All you guys make me laugh, you know, anytime all you smell a bacchanal, all you rush me.” He then responded to the question. “The whole thing is at the end of the day, I am not bothered by what Transparency International has said,” he declared. “There seems to be a ‘Get Jack Warner mission’ that will not succeed. “At the end of the day, I will be dismissive of that as well.”

Asked specifically if he felt there was support for the anti-Warner campaign from within the Government and Cabinet, he said: “Oh sure, there are...How many I don’t know but in any organisation you will have this.

“There are university students who are blogging anti-Jack Warner sentiments, I know who they are, there are groups being paid to do this, there are guys who have offices and are paid a salary to do this,” Warner said. In response to another question, he said: “In the UNC there are guys doing other things (and) I hope they’re not being paid...I am saying this is quite normal in any organisation.”

Warner said it was “very strange how FIFA could tell governments not to interfere in FIFA business, and if they do, the country shall be suspended, but our country here trying to go on their knees, on their belly, prostrate to interfere in FIFA business.”

He said that can only happen in T&T “because we’re small, but if we’re small we don’t have to be stupid.” Commenting on the TI ranking of this country, Warner said it could be determined by the movements of other countries surveyed or an increase or decrease in the number of countries involved in the survey. He said he checked the TI report on the Web site yesterday morning and there was “nothing about Jack Warner.”

He said Joseph presented his own opinion because the Opposition had failed to move him, so he was now attempting to do so. “He too will fail...I answer to no one except Mrs Persad-Bissessar and definitely not Joseph and the Opposition,” Warner said.

Questioned on the decision by Persad-Bissessar to instruct Finance Minister Winston Dookeran to conduct an audit of the Programme for the Upgrade of Roads Efficiency (PURE), he said she was within her right to do that.

“If she believes there is need for an audit, let the audit come,” he said. “I am not disturbed by that and I am sure PURE is not, so there is nothing to me untoward about that.” He said what the Prime Minister wanted to determine was whether the allegations were right or wrong.

Warner said, however, that as far as he was concerned, there were no irregularities at PURE. He said PURE and the minister were audited in October by the Auditor General and there had been no adverse reports. Meanwhile, the 115 Traffic Wardens appointed will take to the streets on Monday as new traffic plans are introduced in ten communities across Trinidad.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 06:45:47 AM »
Yahoo news   http://uk.news.yahoo.com/the-world-s-most-corrupt-countries.html

Somalia, Myanmar and Afghanistan have been named the most corrupt countries in the world in a report compiled by a civil society organisation.

At the other end of the scale, the UK failed to make it into the list of the ten least-corrupt countries of the 182 evaluated, as the phone hacking scandal tarnished the reputation of the British media. The report, compiled by Transparency International, revealed that there are “too many areas of corruption vulnerability in the UK public sector”.

“This phone hacking scandal has shone an awkward spotlight on undercurrents of corruption in key UK institutions,” Transparency International UK director Chandu Krishnan told Yahoo! News.

“It is clear that there is systemic complacency about corruption in the UK, even if the problem is not endemic.  The Government needs the courage to admit that many checks and balances have failed,” he added.  “Instead of a proliferation of inquiries we need urgent action to put in place policies that will prevent such a crisis from happening again and restore public trust in our key institutions.

“The UK is complacent about corruption. This has allowed a culture of impunity to develop, in which corruption is not seriously analysed or investigated, and individuals have behaved unethically in the belief that they would not or should not be held to account.”

The report revealed that despite the continued lack of transparency within Britain, the UK Bribery Act has marginally improved the nation’s international rating. New Zealand was listed as the least corrupt nation while Italy remained poorly placed at 69th, below Ghana, Rwanda and Oman. Transparency International ranks the countries on their perceived levels of corruption within the public sector.

5 most corrupt countries    (source: Transparency International)

1.    Somalia 
2.    North Korea
3.    Myanmar
4.    Afghanistan
5.    Uzbekistan, Sudan, Turkmenistan (tied)

5 least corrupt countries

1.    New Zealand
2.    Denmark
3.    Finland
4.    Sweden
5.    Singapore

1]; } ?>