April 28, 2024, 01:45:02 PM

Author Topic: Island disappears..global Warming .....Global Warning!  (Read 14273 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: What Global Warming? Canada still cold ent?
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33:31 AM »
At least you're honest about your selfishness... some of us are not that inconsiderate that we won't concern ourselves with what type of world we'll be leaving our kids.

Well I am glad that you are not inconsiderate. How noble of you.  I hope that you are living the life you preach and that your carbon footprint is neutral.  So for every fart you emit, I hope you are buying the appropriate carbon offset from Gore.

I have three children and perhaps you can ask them if I do not look out for them.  So to suggest that I am inconsiderate when it come to future generations is just plain mean-spirited.  But I should expect no less as that seems to be your modus operandi when you disagree with someone on this forum.   I know I do my bit in trying to be socially and environmentally responsible.  So don’t get your knickers in a knot man.

Dred you's ah sensitive c**t... you hanging with dat next bitch West Coast Werklmann Roscharch...  oh wait, dat was you. The irony of you talking about me getting my "knickers in a knot" when your panty wedge quite up inside yuh colon.  Go take a Midol and come off yuh period, when yuh hormone levels normalize read my post again and yuh'll see that all I did was reference language YOU yuhself type.  YOU talk about

"And I am not that much of a hypocrite to say that I do not want to change my decadent and wasteful way of life (there is sarcasm in this statement so don't jump off a cliff).

I don't know the degree of your sarcasm... I don't monitor your personal activities to how much you're exaggerating.  I reference your "decadent and wasteful way of life" because such activities are exactly what's hastening the planet's decline and the fact is we owe a moral obligation to our children to leave the planet in AS GOOD CONDITION, that we met it, if not better.  What the f**k is so "mean spirited" about that idea?  The fact is that the behavior you mentioned reflects a very selfish attitude... I don't have to 'suggest' you are inconsiderate... YOU call yuhself 'selfish'... if you are selfish then you are inconsiderate by definition you dumbass.  Doh ketch feelings because I telling yuh what YOU self say.  My entire conversation with you has been civil and limited to the issue up until this point but you want to play yuh ketching feelings like ah bitch and say you throwing word fuh me about what my "modus operandi" is?

Look woman make ah turn and f**k yuhself yes.

If your response here is not an example of mean-spirited, then I stand corrected on calling you mean spirited.

For all of the intelligence you often display on this forum, I have to wonder at your emotional age.  You cant help your self, can you?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »
Challenge

Do you live the life you preach?

Here are averages for CO2 emissions

* The average footprint for people in Canada is 20.00 tonnes
    * The average for the industrial nations is about 11 tonnes
    * The average worldwide carbon footprint is about 4 tonnes
    * The worldwide target to combat climate change is 2 tonnes

Go to http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx to estimate your carbon footprint.

My Carbon Footprint is 5.4 tonnes

Do you live by the motto to 'do as I do' or 'do as I say'

Allyuh may accuse me of being a denier but when push come to shove, on a personal level, I am not far from the world average.

Bakes, TT?  what is your foot print?

truetrini

« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2009, 07:19:01 AM »
    *  Your footprint is 3.97 tonnes, which equates to 11.35 tonnes per year
    * The average footprint for people in United States is 20.40 tonnes

What do you mean do I practice what I preach?  I recycle, my home has energy efficient appliances and my windows are the best.  I drive a ultra low emissions vehicle and it is a small car...4 cylinders.

I say global warming is a real threat you deny it.....or are a global warming agnostic.

I say that industrial nations have to limit emissions, you say that it will cost billions and not based on real science or not provable.

I say that we can move to alternative sources that are cleaner and less harmful..you say ...nutten.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:25:49 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »
Todays sea level is one of the lowest levels in the last 500 million years by some 600 feet
but f**k all that shit, the world has only existed for the last 100 years

edit
not to mention that lots of the oil deposits in northern Canada are found in reefs 300 million years ago, you know tropical reefs just like the ones in the tropics.....must be drift that caused that right?  that far?  of course!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:57:55 AM by ricky »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
    *  Your footprint is 3.97 tonnes, which equates to 11.35 tonnes per year
    * The average footprint for people in United States is 20.40 tonnes

What do you mean do I practice what I preach?  I recycle, my home has energy efficient appliances and my windows are the best.  I drive a ultra low emissions vehicle and it is a small car...4 cylinders.

I say global warming is a real threat you deny it.....or are a global warming agnostic.

I say that industrial nations have to limit emissions, you say that it will cost billions and not based on real science or not provable.

I say that we can move to alternative sources that are cleaner and less harmful..you say ...nutten.

3.97 tonnes is pretty impressive in a North American environment.  Obviously, you are practicing what you preach.   :beermug:

The rest of your points ..

number 2: accurate statement - I do not have it on the same threat level as you see it.
number 3: i don't disagree that industry need to limit emissions - pollution is pollution. Industry must reduce emissions.  But the Kyoto type plans need some serious revisions.
Number 3: I agree with you that we have to move to alternate sources.  It just makes sense in the long run.  But I disagree that it is as easy as you say.  For every new action, there are collateral results and we never seem to take that into account when we embrace new technologies.  But man (Not God) will figure it out eventually so I am not as concerned as you are.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
Todays sea level is one of the lowest levels in the last 500 million years by some 600 feet

edit
not to mention that lots of the oil deposits in northern Canada are found in reefs 300 million years ago, you know tropical reefs just like the ones in the tropics.....must be drift that caused that right?  that far?  of course!

for a while there, I thought I was the only one in the arena.  But what do you know?  you are in the pocket of big oil.  ;D

truetrini

« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »

edit

How utterly puerile!

The world has had periods of warming and freezing before, no one with an iota of intelligence disputes that, except for some religious nuts!

That does not mean that man is not altering the environment at an increased pace.

This world will end, regardless of what they say in the Nicene Creed, that does not eman we should go ahead willy nilly hastening that demise.

Global warming is real and no amount of prattle from conservatives and greedy people can alter that FACT!

Believe what you will Ricky, one time people like you thought the earth was flat and imprisioned, burned to the stake or otherwise excoriated people who said otherwise.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »

edit

How utterly puerile!

The world has had periods of warming and freezing before, no one with an iota of intelligence disputes that, except for some religious nuts!
That does not mean that man is not altering the environment at an increased pace.

This world will end, regardless of what they say in the Nicene Creed, that does not eman we should go ahead willy nilly hastening that demise.

Global warming is real and no amount of prattle from conservatives and greedy people can alter that FACT!

Believe what you will Ricky, one time people like you thought the earth was flat and imprisioned, burned to the stake or otherwise excoriated people who said otherwise.

ok TT so whats to say that this is not one of those periods?
What science done in the last 50 years can refute or be concrete for something that had been around 4 billion?
Global warming is 100% real...the question is...is it man made? 
The answer will be in a few million years, when nobody will be around.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:05:17 AM by ricky »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »

ok TT so whats to say that this is not one of those periods?
What science done in the last 50 years can refute or be concrete for something that had been around 4 billion?
Global warming is 100% real...the question is...is it man made? 
The answer will be in a few million years, when nobody will be around.

How you know that oil was deposited 300 million years ago, and how you know it was tropical then

And how do you know the earth has been here 4 billion years?

Yuh just answer yuh own question  ;D

Why you willing to believe it when science tells you that Northern Canada was once tropical, yet don't believe when science tells you that man acitivity will make Northern Canada tropical again. Is one science good and the other bad?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »
Thank you Zando
You just summed up 95% of the world populations understanding of it.
I know those things cause im a geologist  ;) I have cores from those areas with corals in them....pretty good proof i would say.  They are all carbon dated back to that period.
over time there have been thousands of reefs die, lots of ecosystems end, mass extensions and large fluctuations in the sea.  This happened long before man was here, and will happen long after we are gone.

Im shame to post a source from wikipedia , but its all i could find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phanerozoic_Sea_Level.png

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
Thank you Zando
I know those things cause im a geologist  ;) I have cores from those areas with corals in them....pretty good proof i would say.  They are all carbon dated back to that period.
over time there have been thousands of reefs die, lots of ecosystems end, mass extensions and large fluctuations in the sea.  This happened long before man was here, and will happen long after we are gone.

Numerous papers by the worlds best clmatologists, meterologists, paleo-scientists of all stripes report data that taken together support the findings of the IPCC, i.e. anthropogenic activity is primarily responsible for rapid changes in global climate patterns.

Maybe climate change is all bad science and yes the world will still be here millions of years after we have vanished anyway. But its not only about survival, at its heart I think the climate change issue is a clash of differering moral values with the battle-lines framed by the merits of scientific methodology

In my opinion, it is morally wrong to continue on a well-elucidated course of environmental degradation at the expense of my childrens and their childrens future.

Anyway this debate getting old. Who say ressurect the Offical Babes Thread?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
Thank you Zando

Numerous papers by the worlds best clmatologists, meterologists, paleo-scientists of all stripes report data that taken together support the findings of the IPCC, i.e. anthropogenic activity is primarily responsible for rapid changes in global climate patterns.

Maybe climate change is all bad science and yes the world will still be here millions of years after we have vanished anyway. But its not only about survival, at its heart I think the climate change issue is a clash of differering moral values with the battle-lines framed by the merits of scientific methodology

In my opinion, it is morally wrong to continue on a well-elucidated course of environmental degradation at the expense of my childrens and their childrens future.

Anyway this debate getting old. Who say ressurect the Offical Babes Thread?

agree.  :beermug:
To sit here and quote everyones favorite article or blog and preach them as gospel and everyone who does not agree is an idiot is plain assishness.  It is far more complex than that...on both sides.

I remember a quote we used to tell the "tree huggers" when we were in school....if you want to talk about the earth, you should learn something about it first  ;) (not meant at anyone in particular in the thread, just something we used to say)

And remember....strip mining prevents forest fires
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:02:37 PM by ricky »

truetrini

Skeptic finds he now agrees global warming is real
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:37 AM »
Skeptic finds he now agrees global warming is real
APBy SETH BORENSTEIN - AP Science Writer | AP – 15 mins ago

* tweet17
    * Share2
    * Email
    * Print

Related Content
prevnext

In this Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 photo, Richard Muller, left, and his daughter, Elizabeth …
    * In this Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 photo, Richard Muller, left, and his daughter, Elizabeth Muller, hold a globe as they talk about their study on climate at their home in Berkeley, Calif. A new study of Earth’s temperatures going back more than 200 years finds the same old story: It’s gotten hotter in the last 60 years. What’s different is the scientist behind the latest study - Richard Muller. The California physicist was doubtful of what climate scientists have been saying - until he did his own research, partly funded by climate change skeptics. Elizabeth Muller, co-founder and executive director of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature Study, ran the study. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

In this Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 photo, Richard Muller, left, and his daughter, Elizabeth …

* In this Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 photo, Richard Muller, right, and his daughter, Elizabeth Muller, left, talk about their study on climate outside their home in Berkeley, Calif. A new study of Earth’s temperatures going back more than 200 years finds the same old story: It’s gotten hotter in the last 60 years. What’s different is the scientist behind the latest study - Richard Muller. The California physicist was doubtful of what climate scientists have been saying - until he did his own research, partly funded by climate change skeptics. Elizabeth Muller, co-founder and executive director of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature Study, ran the study. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

In this Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 photo, Richard Muller, right, and his daughter, Elizabeth …

Science Slideshows

Earth-observing satellite boosted into orbit
      10 photos - Fri, Oct 28, 2011
      Endangered plants not 'living fossils' after all
      5 photos - Wed, Oct 26, 2011
      Mysterious migratory lives of killer whales
      12 photos - Tue, Oct 25, 2011

See more photos from science »

WASHINGTON (AP) — A prominent physicist and skeptic of global warming spent two years trying to find out if mainstream climate scientists were wrong. In the end, he determined they were right: Temperatures really are rising rapidly.

The study of the world's surface temperatures by Richard Muller was partially bankrolled by a foundation connected to global warming deniers. He pursued long-held skeptic theories in analyzing the data. He was spurred to action because of "Climategate," a British scandal involving hacked emails of scientists.

Yet he found that the land is 1.6 degrees warmer than in the 1950s. Those numbers from Muller, who works at the University of California, Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, match those by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and NASA.

He said he went even further back, studying readings from Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. His ultimate finding of a warming world, to be presented at a conference Monday, is no different from what mainstream climate scientists have been saying for decades.

What's different, and why everyone from opinion columnists to "The Daily Show" is paying attention is who is behind the study.

One-quarter of the $600,000 to do the research came from the Charles Koch Foundation, whose founder is a major funder of skeptic groups and the tea party. The Koch brothers, Charles and David, run a large privately held company involved in oil and other industries, producing sizable greenhouse gas emissions.

Muller's research team carefully examined two chief criticisms by skeptics. One is that weather stations are unreliable; the other is that cities, which create heat islands, were skewing the temperature analysis.

"The skeptics raised valid points and everybody should have been a skeptic two years ago," Muller said in a telephone interview. "And now we have confidence that the temperature rise that had previously been reported had been done without bias."

Muller said that he came into the study "with a proper skepticism," something scientists "should always have. I was somewhat bothered by the fact that there was not enough skepticism" before.

There is no reason now to be a skeptic about steadily increasing temperatures, Muller wrote recently in The Wall Street Journal's editorial pages, a place friendly to skeptics. Muller did not address in his research the cause of global warming. The overwhelming majority of climate scientists say it's man-made from the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil. Nor did his study look at ocean warming, future warming and how much of a threat to mankind climate change might be.

Still, Muller said it makes sense to reduce the carbon dioxide created by fossil fuels.

"Greenhouse gases could have a disastrous impact on the world," he said. Still, he contends that threat is not as proven as the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says it is.

On Monday, Muller was taking his results — four separate papers that are not yet published or peer-reviewed, but will be, he says — to a conference in Santa Fe, N.M., expected to include many prominent skeptics as well as mainstream scientists.

"Of course he'll be welcome," said Petr Chylek of Los Alamos National Lab, a noted skeptic and the conference organizer. "The purpose of our conference is to bring people with different views on climate together, so they can talk and clarify things."

Shawn Lawrence Otto, author of the book "Fool Me Twice" that criticizes science skeptics, said Muller should expect to be harshly treated by global warming deniers. "Now he's considered a traitor. For the skeptic community, this isn't about data or fact. It's about team sports. He's been traded to the Indians. He's playing for the wrong team now."

Muller's study found that skeptics' concerns about poor weather station quality didn't skew the results of his analysis because temperature increases rose similarly in reliable and unreliable weather stations. He also found that while there is an urban heat island effect making cities warmer, rural areas, which are more abundant, are warming, too.

Among many climate scientists, the reaction was somewhat of a yawn.

"After lots of work he found exactly what was already known and accepted in the climate community," said Jerry North, a Texas A&M University atmospheric sciences professor who headed a National Academy of Sciences climate science review in 2006. "I am hoping their study will have a positive impact. But some folks will never change."

Chris Field, a Carnegie Institution scientist who is chief author of an upcoming intergovernmental climate change report, said Muller's study "may help the world's citizens focus less on whether climate change is real and more on smart options for addressing it."

Some of the most noted scientific skeptics are no longer saying the world isn't warming. Instead, they question how much of it is man-made, view it as less a threat and argue it's too expensive to do something about, Otto said.

Skeptical MIT scientist Richard Lindzen said it is a fact and nothing new that global average temperatures have been rising since 1950, as Muller shows. "It's hard to see how any serious scientist (skeptical, denier or believer — frequently depending on the exact question) will view it otherwise," he wrote in an email.

In a brief email statement, the Koch Foundation noted that Muller's team didn't examine ocean temperature or the cause of warming and said it will continue to fund such research. "The project is ongoing and entering peer review, and we're proud to support this strong, transparent research," said foundation spokeswoman Tonya Mullins.

___

Online:

The Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature site: http://www.berkeleyearth.org/index.php

Santa Fe climate conference: http://bit.ly/rQknVi

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Island disappears..global Warming .....Global Warning!
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2011, 04:51:15 AM »
Eh golden gun yuh seriously bored or what!!?? why yuh doh find ah good book tuh curl up wid , or better yet, go play wid yuh golden gun like ah bonobo tuh ease the boredom.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:52:58 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
Eh golden gun yuh seriously bored or what!!?? why yuh doh find ah good book tuh curl up wid , or better yet, go play wid yuh golden gun like ah bonobo tuh ease the boredom.  ;D

Better yet, sned yuh girl over to play with de gun for me nah...she does a great job....

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »
Skeptic finds he now agrees global warming is real ...

...The California physicist was doubtful of what climate scientists have been saying ...

TT, you should change the title of this post.  Muller was never a skeptic, or if he was, it happened well before 2003.

Here is what he said in Oct 2008: "The bottom line is that there is a consensus -- the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] -- and the president needs to know what the IPCC says. Second, they say that most of the warming of the last 50 years is probably due to humans."Quote Source

But there is more ...

here is what he said toward the conclusion of his 2003 paper "Medieval Global Warming":

Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate.Quote Source

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
Check what Morroco is doing. From the World Bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZA6TMg04Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452czp6_Pok&feature=youtu.be

There’s a lot riding on this solar power plant in Morocco

Turning to the Sun: TTL Silvia Pariente-David is a senior energy specialist based in Rabat, Morocco.
December 2, 2011―Recently, we posed some questions to the TTL of the Ouarzazate Concentrated Solar Power project in Morocco to better understand the impact of the Bank's work on the ground and why this particular project is so important.

Silvia Pariente-David is a senior energy specialist based in Rabat, Morocco. The Ouarzazate (pronounced “Wa-za-zat”) project was approved by the Board on November 17 and is part of a broader Middle East and North Africa Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Scale-up Program.

What is Ouarzazate and why is it so important?

The project foresees the construction of a 500 MW concentrated solar power plant in Ouarzazate, Morocco, which will generate electricity for Morocco to use and to export. The Bank is helping to mobilize concessional financing and private investment for the plant. This project is important for many reasons. The plant will reduce Morocco's reliance on oil and coal, lower CO2 emissions, initiate the development of a local solar industry, and set the economy on a green growth path. Morocco's strong track record on involving the private sector in electricity will be important in this.

For example, right now Morocco relies on imports for 97 percent of its energy needs. Internal power generation is dominated 50-70 percent by coal, depending on the availability of hydro. So Morocco is what we call a CO2 intensive country, with CO2 emissions per kWh generated 50 percent higher than the world average, despite a low CO2 per capita. This project will start to change all that.

The project also shows that Morocco is rising to the challenge of commitments made during the Cancun and Copenhagen climate change conferences and under the Union for the Mediterranean.

Click on the image to see the infographic: "What in the World is Ouarzazate?"
How do you see the Moroccan people benefitting from the successful implementation of the broader solar power program in Morocco?

People in Morocco will benefit through the future supply of reliable green energy. Morocco will be able to increase its energy security, gradually develop R&D and green energy industries, develop interior regions of the country and create urgently needed jobs.

Ouarzazate itself is a semi-desert region and this project will help catalyze development there. Jobs will be created and the Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy (MASEN) is preparing a Social Development Plan, which will indicate how the proceeds of the compensation paid for land acquisition, as well as other voluntary actions by MASEN and other stakeholders, will accrue to local communities.

And beyond Morocco?

Ouarzazate will have a transformational effect for the entire MENA region and Europe as well, establishing a model for solar power development. Not only is the project expected to catalyze utilization of Morocco’s extensive solar potential, but it will provide future clean energy for European importing countries. (There is a high demand on the European markets for green electricity and there is already a transmission interconnection with Europe.) We also expect that solar technology will contribute to better integration of regional markets and substantially increase green electricity trade.

In your opinion what’s the most interesting aspect of this project?

The commitment of Morocco to develop its ambitious solar plan is impressive. The project is truly transformational if it can be replicated. The other countries in the region are now watching closely to see if Morocco succeeds before deciding to follow suit. In that context, I’m delighted that the loan signing will occur in Durban, South Africa, during the UNFCCC COP. What better place to start showing the world what real financial commitment to solar power can create?

1]; } ?>