April 19, 2024, 05:25:56 PM

Author Topic: Jewell confirms new deal for Edwards  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jewell confirms new deal for Edwards
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
Jewell confirms new deal for Edwards
TWTD.co.uk

Town boss Paul Jewell has confirmed that skipper Carlos Edwards has been offered new terms, as reported by TWTD on Thursday.

Jewell said: “I think he’s been discussing it with [chief executive] Simon [Clegg] and as far as I’m aware things are moving on. Hopefully things will get done and that’s one of them out of the way.

“I think it’s a year with a clause for a further season, although I’m not 100% sure. We’d like to keep Carlos.

“I think Carlos has been quoted saying that he’s going to have to take a pay cut and a few players are going to have to do that with the Financial Fair Play thing coming in, the way the market is and the way the economy is.

“I think he’s 33 but he’s got the fitness levels of a 23-year-old. He’s a great mover, defensively he’s got better, he can get himself in bad positions but his pace has got him out of it. He’s been very consistent for us this year, Carlos.”

The Town boss played down recent reports of a renewed move for Portsmouth defender or midfielder Joel Ward, who was among the three Pompey players he was after in January: “I think what Portsmouth are doing is contacting teams but we’ve not made contact with Portsmouth.”

Another of those January targets, keeper Stephen Henderson, is set to leave Fratton Park for West Ham on loan until the end of the season.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos Edwards agrees terms with Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »
Carlos Edwards agrees terms with Ipswich
By Dave Gooderham (Ipswich Star)

BRING on the competition.

That is the message from Carlos Edwards after finally committing his future to Ipswich Town.

The 33-year-old has spent all season trying to convince Paul Jewell and fans alike that he can be the real deal at right-back.

While the Town boss has always looked for competition in that position, Edwards – a naturally attacking wide-man – has made that place his own in a turbulent season for club and player alike.

And while it might not stop Jewell from looking for another right-sided defender in the summer, the stand-in skipper will remain the man to beat when the squad return for pre-season after he agreed terms on a new one-year deal – with an option for a second year.

The news leaves manager Paul Jewell with just six of his current first team squad out of contract this summer – Richard Wright, Grant Leadbitter, Lee Bowyer, Jason Scotland, Tommy Smith and Ibrahima Sonko as well as American keeper Cody Cropper.

Edwards has never made any secret of his desire to extend his career at Ipswich Town and his words have been largely matched on-the-pitch where he has been one of the club’s most consistent performers this season.

But despite starting the Trinidadian international in all-but-one of his league matches this season, an apparent delay in offering the 33-year-old a new deal led to speculation that Jewell was looking to clear the decks.

But chief executive Simon Clegg today confirmed: “We have had good dialogue with Carlos over the last few weeks and I’m delighted to confirm that we have agreed terms with him over a deal for next season.”

While looking to end the season on a high, Jewell must also weigh up the remaining six players in his squad facing an uncertain future.

Scotland’s stipulation in his contract leaves him needing just two more starts to earn a new deal and that looks likely to resolve itself while most Town fans hope Smith’s improved performances of late will earn the New Zealand centre-back a new contract.

Leadbitter’s situation is slightly less clear with the midfielder believed to be one of the club’s top earners meaning he might consider other offers before making a decision.

Sonko, Wright and Bowyer were only signed until the end of this season and Jewell will think very carefully about his plans and finances for next season before deciding whether to offer any of the trio an extended deal.

Meanwhile, Jewell yesterday confirmed Leadbitter is expected to recover from his groin injury and take his place against Peterborough on Saturday.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Delight over new deal but Carlos Edwards expects Town to sign a new right-back
By Dave Gooderham (Ipswich Star)

CARLOS Edwards might have been only too willing to sign a new one-year deal at Ipswich Town.

But the current captain, who took a pay cut to stay at Portman Road, knows he has his work cut out keeping his place.

Edwards has been a virtual ever-present this season and his consistent performances finally saw the club offer him a new one-year deal, with the possibility of a 12-month extension.

Delighted to get his future sorted, the 33-year-old still fully expects manager Paul Jewell to bring in a new right-back next season.

He said: “As much as players don’t like it, you need competition. The players like competition and the manager wants competition – that should be the case.

“I always give 100% regardless of whether I have anyone pushing me – it is not in my nature not to. I expect the gaffer to bring in another right-back.”

Edwards admitted that he turned down a new deal at Ipswich last year because he wanted to prove to Jewell he was worth more money – even though he eventually accepted a pay cut.

He explained: “It is always tough to take a pay cut, but at the same time you want to be playing. I am not getting any younger, but I am not dwelling on it – it is not the end of the world.

“The new deal was never in doubt. I had a word with the manager and the chairman and we were getting along, we just had to thrash out a few things – how we could go about it and what way.”

Edwards revealed he had one or two rivals clubs “sniffing around” but insisted remaining at Ipswich was his number one aim.

He said: “My family is happy here, the kids are settled in school. I have reached a point in my career, having moved around a lot in the last 12 years, where I just wanted to be settled.

“I could have put pen to paper last season but I told the manager I wanted to wait and prove myself to gain something more substantial. I have done that and in the end we both came out winners.”

1]; } ?>