March 28, 2024, 01:12:41 PM

Author Topic: Boxing in TT cah ketch a break nah.  (Read 14927 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Boxing in TT cah ketch a break nah.
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:28 AM »
Respectfully to the Guardian, a better headline would be "He pays himself"

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
A play on the old Spoiler song no doubt.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
A play on the old Spoiler song no doubt.

Aaah....ok. I in foreign too long.

VB

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »
Boxing board member admits: I got money from Potts for judgesTweet
 ANIKA GUMBS-SANDIFORD and ANDREW GIOANNETTI
Published: Wednesday, April 10, 2013.
Deputy director at the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs Ruth Marchan, her husband Edward Marchan and former T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) board member Shama Stroude were all recipients of cheques from the Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association—a company co-owned by TTBBC special adviser Boxu Potts, which has benefited from sponsorship from the Sport Ministry. Stroude has admitted to the T&T Guardian that she made an error in accepting the cheque.

As to why Stroude—who was also a member of the technical committee at the TTBBC—was the recipient of a $7,700 cheque from Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association in May 2011, this is what she had to say when T&T Guardian contacted her: “This was from Boxu? It is from Boxu, you are saying? What was the cheque for? Was it for a boxing card or something?”

Asked why payment for a boxing card would be made out in her name, given that she was a board member of the TTBBC, Stroude replied: “The only thing I could say about that is, if it related to a pro/amateur card, I normally, being a referee judge, they normally give me the money to pay the amateur referee judges. “If it is made out to me on my name, I do not know if Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association had a card at that time,” she said.

As to whether it was the proper procedure for cheques to be made out to board members to pay referees, Stroude, who is also a referee/judge with the T&T Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA,) said: “It should not have been made out on my name. I know what you mean. I was a board member. “Normally it is given in cash and I will pay the referees and judges.

“I do not know about any cheque making out to me. They cannot make out any cheque to me, because I was a board member.” Asked why a cheque was made out from the Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association directly to her, Stroude said: “Everybody know Mr Potts and they know what he is full of. “Imagine, that is my name. Why would he do this? The only thing is, maybe it was for the referee/judges for the TTABA.”

Asked why the cheque was not made out to the TTABA, Stroude said: “There were also some trust issues with officials from the TTABA.” When the T&T Guardian contacted president of the TTABA, Cecil Forde, to inquire if he was aware of this transaction, he said: “That is a personal matter. It has absolutely nothing to do with the TTABA.

“If that cheque was made directly to her, we (TTABA) were not involved in that. When we had fights, the boxing board would have to authorise all payments. I do not know about any cheque being made out to anyone.” Repeated calls by the T&T Guardian to deputy director Marchan for her to explain payments made to her husband and herself were unsuccessful.

When the T&T Guardian contacted Marchan on her direct line at the ministry yesterday, after identifying herself she only said: “Please call through the PBX,” before hanging up the phone. However, all attempts to contact her afterwards as she requested were unsuccessful. T&T Guardian investigations revealed that on June 2, 2011, a cheque of $3,500 was made out to Marchan by the Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association. The cheque was cashed on June 27.

Marchan’s husband, who was employed as a head coach at Yan’s Sporting Academy, which is also owned by Potts, received the following payments from Unified Promoter's Boxing Association:
April 4—$5,000
April 28—$5,000
May 1—$2,000
May 27—$5,000
July 1—$8,500
July 27-$30,000

According to the academy’s financial documents, a head coach receives a monthly salary of $5,000. The academy was set up under the Unified Promoter’s Boxing Association in 2011 at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Arima. Marchan could not be reached for comment yesterday as telephone calls went unanswered.

When the T&T Guardian contacted Potts yesterday, he said he was out of the country and not prepared to answer any questions. “I have nothing to say,” he said. “I am not responding to anything. Keep on printing my name. You are doing a good job, keep it up.” He then hung up. Sport Minister Anil Roberts could not be contacted as telephone calls went directly to his voice mail.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »

Boxers, coaches, promoters call for appointment of boxing board
Friday, April 12 2013

A NUMBER of boxers, coaches, promoters and other stakeholders in the sport are expressing concerns over the non-appointment of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board (TTBB) to date, saying it is preventing them from earning a living.

The term of the boxing board came to an end at the end of October last year and after almost six months, the Cabinet is still to appoint a new board.

But yesterday boxer Prince Lee Isidore from the Fine Line boxing gym called for the board to be appointed soon, saying it is his only means of income.

“I left school to concentrate on my boxing career. I am supposed to be studying computing and psychology at the University of Southern Caribbean (USC) at Maracas, St Joseph but I am not presently because I have my eyes on a world boxing title” Isidore said.

The 28 -year-old who has a record of eight wins and as many knock outs in 11 fights is hoping to re-enter the boxing ring within the next month or so and wants the board to be re-appointed soon.

The stocky light welterweight boxer has been beaten twice in his career, his second loss was against Clive Atwell of Guyana in October last year (2012), while his first defeat came at the hands of Dexter Gonzales at the Cosmic Boxing Gym Marabella in 2009.

Isidore’s call for the appointment of a boxing board comes after promoter Tansley Thompson told the media he was unsure of who to go to for boxing cards to be held.

Thompson has been attempting to promote a number of local boxers including Lisa “Bad News” Brown, who now resides in Canada but grew up in Laventille. According to Thompson, his drive “Trading guns for gloves and bullets for ball” is intended to join the fight against crime in Trinidad and Tobago.

He explained further that he has had a number of bad experiences with the boxing board in the past where promoting cards are concerned, but noted “I want all to know that this is about the young people of Trinidad and Tobago. We are losing them daily to violent crimes and we must try something to save them,” Thompson said.

He added, “Boxing is a sport that the young people can channel their energies into and release the anger while making a living.”

Apart from Thompson a number of other boxers such as Commonwealth Games silver medallist Tariq Haqq, Sherwin Wilson, Leann Boodram and Tiana Sosa Saney are also lobbying for the appointment of the boxing board, saying their careers are being hampered.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 04:58:50 AM »

Abrupt end to T&T vs Barbados women’s boxing
Published:
Monday, April 22, 2013

Text Size: 
Saturday night’s T&T Amateur Boxing card featuring T&T women against their Barbadian counterparts at the Cosmic Gym, Marabella, was brought to an abrupt end when police stopped the event.

Officials of the T&T Ameteur Boxing Association (TTABA) were told that the event was unsanctioned and they had no permission to stage the card.

This took place as local amateur boxer Kimberly Jackson and Barbadian Kimberly Gittens were awaiting the result of their four-round contest. After a dominating performance Jackson seemed ready to have her hand raised in victory. The top junior light welterweight boxer was robbed of glory as the decision was not called and both boxers were instructed to exit the ring.

Investigations revealed that a report was made to the police that the TTABA was hosting a boxing card that was not approved and therefore was breaching the Boxing Act of Trinidad and Tobago.

A boxing source indicated that the TTABA had permission since the calendar of events of the TTABA was submitted to the Boxing Board earlier in the year and the calendar was approved and sanctioned. Saturday’s international card was part of that calendar and as such was legal.

However, there was no specific letter of approval for Saturday and as such the police took action. The source further went on to say that the Boxing Act was designed for professional boxing and that in reality, through the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) rules and regulations, all national federations of amateur boxing should have full autonomy.

A member of the TTABA who preferred to remain anonymous described the decision to stop the card as malicious. “Those who reported the card as being illegal have a personal agenda to destroy boxing. They have hoodwinked the police into believing this was a criminal act. However, who are the real criminals?”

Cecil Forde, president of the TTABA lamented: “The young ones are being victimised by this atrocious act of ignorance and mischief.

Boxers who were taken off the streets will now be back out there and heaven alone knows what will become of them”.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 01:25:51 AM »
Potts business as usual
TT Express
Story Created: May 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM ECT
Story Updated: May 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM ECT

Boxu Potts has dismissed as rumours speculation that he had been relieved of his  $15,000 a month  post as special adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board (T&TBB). But the controversial and outspoken boxing promoter has admitted that there is no functioning Boxing Board at the moment. 
   “Since yesterday I hear people saying that I get fired,”  Potts told the Express. “People have been calling me and saying that they heard that I get fired.  The people that hired me have not informed me that I am fired. I am working as usual.”
   Potts described rumours of his demise as  “propaganda” and spite tactics by persons seeking to get him out of the job.  He added that  he has been working hard at the job he was hired to do, and that his recent work included having male and female amateur boxing teams in camp, preparing for upcoming competitions.
Potts hinted that only the Boxing Board could fire him.
“I was hired by the Board...not the (Sports) Minister as some people are saying,” he said, while disclosing that the term of appointment for most members of the eight-person Board, including chairperson Anabella David, had now expired.
“Right now there is no Board. But there are  two members, Neil Greaves and Collin Mills, whose instruments of appointment have not expired.
The two of them alone cannot be a Board. I am not entirely sure how things are functioning, but I assuming that the office and business is running as usual.”
Potts said he had no idea when a new Boxing Board would be appointed.
“You have to call the Minister (Anil Roberts) and ask him about that,” Potts declared.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:48 AM »
very sketchy details indeed.
-----------------------------------------

Yacoob Haq shot and killed.

Boxing officials have expressed shock over the untimely death of Yacoob Abdul Haqq, former deputy-chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board (TTBB).

Initial reports indicate that Haqq was shot and killed yesterday at around one p.m., in the St Joseph area, and that his death was accidental.

Haqq was the father of Commonwealth Games silver medallist Tariq Abdul Haqq, and the brother of prominent criminal lawyer Pamela Elder.

Yesterday, several boxing officials said Haqq’s death came as a shock. Among them were T&T Amateur Boxing Association (TTABA) president Cecil Forde and promoter Tansley Thompson.

“We just went to the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee election,” Forde said. “I took him as one of the delegates since he was vice-president of the Amateur Association. At one point he went to the Boxing Board, but he always remained in the Amateur Association.”

Thompson, a friend of Haqq, was stunned.

“I spoke to him whole week,” Thompson said. “We were taking about me putting on a card and putting his son on it.”

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Potts wants Creed to answer questions.
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Potts-wants-Creed-to-answer-questions-281248731.html

Potts wants Creed to answer questions

Boxing loses out on $7m

By Mark Pouchet

Story Created: Nov 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM ECT 

(Story Updated: Nov 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM ECT  )

The Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) is owed over $7 million for the last two fiscal years.
TTBBC advisor Boxu Potts provided copies of cheques to the Express over that period showing the total amount of money received was only $2,182,587.16, out of an approved budget of $9.8 million ($4.9 million per year, about 22 per cent of the total.
Potts said that former permanent secretary in the Ministry of Sport Ashwin Creed, responsible for giving approval for the release of funds to the Board, failed to do so.

Potts claimed a joint select committee, that took place last month, erred in not securing Creed’s presence.
“So I want to plead with the chairman for there to be a round two and get Ashwin Creed to answer some of the questions about why he did not release approved budgetary funds to the Board,” Potts said, claiming that Creed was mainly responsible for starving the Board of funds.

Potts added that Creed would be better placed to answer why the Board was unable to fulfill its mandate, including the closure of multiple training camps that halted the careers of some young and upcoming boxers.
Potts said when asked by the TTBBC, the Ministry could not account for over $7 million owed to the Board.
“Any business at this level that has to do without such a substantial amount will be handicapped in carrying out its programmes and mandate,” Potts said.

The situation has meant the Board has failed to pay debts, including the training camps.
On May 23, one of the training camp sites, Alicia’s House Limited won a judgement against the Board for $312, 372.95 to be paid with interest at 12 per cent per annum.
The Board failed to pay Alicia from March 2013 to December 2013.
Meanwhile, Potts said he will also initiate legal action against the Board who have failed to pay his salary for the last four months. The total owed to him is $100,000.

Potts also called on the Prime Minister to change staff at the Ministry of Sport so that a thorough investigation can be conducted into the operations inside that Ministry.
He said the 152 workers who signed a petition to remove the current permanent secretary and deputy permanent secretary were doing so to protect their self-interests.

“The deputy PS has sat with most of the stakeholders and is trying to put structure to avoid the amount of thieving that went on in the past and I agree with that position,” Potts said
Potts said although the recent boxing card when Prince Lee Isidore won his WBC/Cabofe title was approved for funds, the Ministry failed to pay up and told the Board that the money was sent back to the Consolidated Fund.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »

Boxing heading to court

Pre-action letter to be served to Sport Ministry
Published on May 28, 2015, 9:13 pm AST
By Ian Prescott

http://trinidadexpress.com/20150528/sports/boxing-heading-to-court

WHERE IS OUR MONEY?: Local boxing coaches are clamouring to be paid $2.3 million in outstanding fees at a press conference yesterday at SEPoS Gym, Port of Spain. --Photo: Ian Prescott.

Boxing's next arena could be the Trinidad and Tobago high court.

This after the Trinidad and Tobago Amateur Boxing Association threatened to serve the Ministry of Sport and Youths Affairs with a pre-action protocol letter today.

The action is geared to compel the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC)-which falls under the Sport Ministry's control-to release $2.3 million in allocated funds, which the amateur association believes it is owed.

The money comes from a subvention from the Ministry of Sport and is owed to local coaches who work in the amateur body's development programmes throughout the country.

Yesterday, a body of local boxing coaches, as well as Amateur Boxing body president Cecil Forde, held a press conference at SEPOS Boxing Gym, Port of Spain when the coaches demanded that the TTBBC release funds for work they have already done.

Those at the head table included Gordon Hoyte, former head coach of former professionals Kertson Manswell and Kirt Sinnette, and also Bharath Ramoutar, who has coached world champion Ria Ramnarine and Caribbean champion Prince Lee Isidore.

Forde also petitioned new Sports Minister Brent Sancho to quickly replace the current Boxing Board, whose term ends soon.

The legal process against the Boxing Board is expected to begin today.

"A pre-action protocol letter will be going to the Ministry (of Sport) tomorrow because the (Boxing) Board falls under the control of the Ministry of Sport, and if they don't respond to us properly, we will continue with legal action against them to make sure that the coaches are a paid," stated Forde.

"We could get up in front of the Ministry with placards and march as everybody has been doing or take a legal stance."

"We have no problem with the Sport Ministry," Hoyte added, "But the Boxing Board has to release our funds."

"Since 2011, there is 2.3 million dollars that is owed to coaches, managers, coordinators, people who ran camps and so on," Forde said.

"The reason for that is we were moved from under the control of the Sports Company to under the umbrella of the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control."

"The then Minister (Anil Roberts) gave them control of our funding," said Forde, who argued that the Boxing Board was not releasing their subvention from the Sport Ministry of $2,788,870, leading to coaches and other persons not being paid for services rendered.

Forde disclosed that amateur boxing has now returned to the control of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago, where they are more comfortable.

"The PS (permanent secretary) realised that it was not working so we were sent back under the Sport Company. However, the coaches' money is still owed from 2011 to now."

Forde also called for a suitable person to be put on the Boxing Board and accused current chairman Vijay Bagan of knowing nothing about the sport, while Ramoutar asked for the setting up of a Boxing Commission to cover all contact sports, including mixed martial arts.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:39 AM »

Friends of Claude Noel thank Sancho

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2015-05-13/friends-claude-noel-thank-sancho

...Claims of TTBBC debts to former national boxer

Andrew Gioannetti

Published:

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A group of retired boxers who banded together several years ago in a rally of support for aging former T&T World champion Claude Noel, have complimented Minister of Sport Brent Sancho for his pledge to address problems faced by their long-time friend and colleague, who they say has been neglected by this country for years.

The group, however, has sought to remind Sancho that although the state should have been keen to assist struggling former national athletes all along, there is still the allegation of victimisation and outstanding debts owed to Noel by the T&T Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) that need to be addressed.

Sancho visited Noel at his home last month after reading a newspaper article highlighting the former national athlete’s bout with ill health, blindness and lack of assistance, something the recently appointed minister said prompted him to take action.

Sancho said he was disturbed by the fact that Noel, who represented this country with distinction during the 1970s and 1980s, was living on his own and fighting illnesses without proper support from the state.

After reading the February 20 article, Sancho said he went in search of the three-time Commonwealth Lightweight title holder, even to his birthplace, Tobago, where he was told that Noel moved to Trinidad in his youth.

Almost two weeks ago, the Minister finally visited Noel at his Arima home, where he got a better understanding of his complications. He then pledged to assist in any way the state could accommodate.

Sancho’s visit to Noel was publicised in a separate newspaper article. After seeing this, two members of a group of former boxers known as “Friends of Claude Noel”, visited the Guardian.

After recognising Sancho’s respectable effort in visiting Noel, the visitors, Michael Paul and Ralph Peterkin (two of nine members) showed a letter addressed to Sancho, seeking his intervention on behalf of the group.

“He (Sancho) could have saved himself a trip to Tobago,” Paul quipped in showing the letter, which was written by him.

He said it delivered to the Ministry of Sport on April 15, two weeks before Sancho’s visit to Noel, but was never acknowledged.

It highlighted both the health issues faced by the 67-year-old, as well as the alleged debt by the TTBBC.

The letter read: “... he stated clearly (in the February article) that he is in need of financial assistance and is owed over $60,000 when he was an employee of the boxing board of T&T. He stated that this is due for well over a year (March, 2012 to December, 2013) of his services.

He is citing probable cause for this callous treatment being meted out to him, eg: a personal vendetta by an individual who held an advisory position on the board and is (a) major promoter for the sport of boxing today.

I am shocked and hurt that someone who has our little country on the world map with distinction is living this way.

“I am asking (begging) you to use your honorable office to please fix this problem which has left a sour taste in his mouth... I ask you to consider my plea before it’s too late,” the letter concluded.

When Paul and Peterkin visited the Guardian, they reiterated their appreciation for Sancho’s visit to Noel, but insisted that the TTBBC needs to honour the debt owed to him (Noel) and to other former employees and coaches or that the Minister take action.

Ironically but in no apparent relation to this case, the Ministry of Sport last month issued a media release advising that it had commissioned “an independent financial and procedural audit into the operations of the TTBBC.”

The release explained that “the move (to audit) comes as members of the board approach the end of their tenure with the TTBBC. The results of the audit will be used to draft procedural frameworks and processes that will map the approach that future Boards will prescribe in terms of operations.”

The group “Friends of Claude Noel” comprises Paul, Peterkin, Walter Peters, Keith Aberdeen, Michael Williams, Ransome Flemming, Winston Cox, Nathaniel Jones and Isaac Thomas, most of whom are former national boxing champions.

Paul and Peterkin said the group members have dipped into their pockets and held fund raisers to assist Noel with food and medical bills.

However, the state, they said, needs to give back to a man, who has little more than a name on a highway in Tobago.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 11:50:54 PM »
Anyone watched the Joshua vs Ruiz fight. I did not see it. Was it worth the hype .... those who saw it ?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
Decent fight. Ruiz was a fat bitch.

Once Joshua kept the fight on the outside he was in control.

VB

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 12:48:19 AM »
Decent fight. Ruiz was a fat bitch.

Once Joshua kept the fight on the outside he was in control.

VB

I was surprised to see that Ruiz did not trained properly for the return match. I still can't see how his manager and handlers allowed him to do that. He did a Duran. He had it all and screwed it up. But say wha, He still has more money than I will ever dream of.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:43:01 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>