April 27, 2024, 02:29:34 PM

Author Topic: Ramdin in the runs at T20 trial  (Read 823 times)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ramdin in the runs at T20 trial
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »
Skipper impresses
Ramdin in the runs at T20 trial
By Roger Seepersad

Story Created: Dec 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM ECT

Story Updated: Dec 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago skipper Denesh Ramdin smashed an unbeaten 48-ball 60 to lead his team to a convincing 78-run win over an Imran Khan XI in the national team's first practice match ahead of January's Caribbean Twenty20 in Antigua and Barbados.

In overcast conditions at the Queen's Park Oval Port of Spain yesterday, Ramdin, who has taken over the captaincy of the national team from Daren Ganga, who stepped down from the post last month, slammed two sixes and three fours in his top score to help his side post a competitive 133 for six after they were struggling at 23 for three in the fifth over.

Samuel Badree then spun the Ramdin XI into a winning position, taking three for ten off four overs to help reduce Khan's team to 17 for four in the seventh over of the chase. They were eventually restricted to 55 for seven off their 20 overs.

When Ramdin's team batted, they lost both openers in the first two overs, with pacers Shannon Gabriel (two for 26) and Navin Stewart (one for 26) each playing a hand.

Gabriel struck first to remove Justin Guillen (two) with the final ball of the opening over, as the left-hander tried to go over mid-on but only succeeded in giving Derone Davis an easy catch.

Stewart tested Lendl Simmons (zero) with some good deliveries and after beating the edge more than once, finally got his man with the West Indies opener edging one to wicketkeeper Mario Belcon, who took a low catch with the score still on two.

Jason Mohammed (12) put on 21 with left-hander Kjorn Ottley (24) before he was caught by Evin Lewis off Daron Cruickshank, which brought skipper Ramdin to the crease.

Ottley excited the handful of spectators with a big six over the "Trini Posse" stand off left-arm spinner Javid Ramdhanie but it was the spinner who got the last laugh, trapping the left-handed batsman lbw for the second highest score of the match.

Before he departed, Ottley put on 48 runs for the sixth wicket with his captain to give the innings some momentum.

Left-arm orthodox spinner Davis bowled a tight line to contain the scoring, conceding just ten runs from his four overs, forcing Ramdin's team to take some risky singles to keep the scoreboard moving.

Ramdin then upped the tempo in the closing stages as he struck Imran Khan for consecutive sixes, over long-on and wide long-on, to bring up his 50 and to take his team to triple figures in the 17th over.

Pacer Daniel St Clair also contributed to the cause, conceding 14 runs off the penultimate over, which included three wides and a no ball, to help Ramdin's team to a respectable total.

When Khan's team batted, they were off to a slow start after Badree's early blitz. The spinner bowled Belcon (two off nine balls), had Evin Lewis (14 off 20 balls) stumped by Ramdin and sent back Marlon Barclay (zero) caught at slip by Guillen to give his team the upper hand.

Kevon Copper then put his team in full control, pulling off a brilliant low, diving one-handed catch at midwicket to remove Daron Cruickshank (one) off the bowling of Rayad Emrit with the score still on 17.

From then on, it was an uphill task for Khan's men who were not up to it. The two highest scores came from Lewis and the skipper (14 off 26 balls) with Stewart scoring 11 off 33 balls.

None of the other batsmen scored more than three.

It was an easy win for Ramdin's team but the T&T skipper will want some stiffer competition in the second practice match today at the same venue from 11 a.m. before leaving for Antigua next month to start their Caribbean T20 title defence.

T&T open their T20 campaign against the Windward Islands on January 9 and will want to get some further quality practice matches to ensure they are ready for the tournament, especially after being restricted to indoor sessions over the last two months because of rain.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Skipper_impresses-136353648.html

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ramdin in the runs at T20 trial
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Mohammed hungry for big cricket
By Roger Seepersad

Story Created: Dec 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM ECT

Story Updated: Dec 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago batsman Jason Mohammed says it has always been his dream to represent the West Indies and his lone game against India earlier this month only served to whet his appetite for international cricket.

The 25-year-old right-hander made his ODI debut against the ICC World Cup champions in Chennai on December 11 but only scored two off 21 balls as India won by 34 runs.

"It was a great experience. I didn't get off to the best start but I was just happy to be there and have an international game under my belt," he said of his debut match.

Mohammed added: "Playing at the international level with the West Indies is where I want to stay. I always wanted to get to this level and now that I will be working a bit harder to keep my place in the team."

He also noted that he was nervous as he walked out to bat but expects to be more at ease if he gets another chance next year.

"I was very nervous. That is the biggest stage that you can get. It was my dream to play for West Indies and having played in that game, I think the next time I get an opportunity I should be a better prepared player," Mohammed explained.

"I am going to work harder starting with this Caribbean T20 and hopefully I can have a good tournament get another chance to play for the West Indies. There are a lot of things to look forward to next year. There is the ICC World T20 and the West Indies play Australia, New Zealand and England so I am looking to play a few more games and hopefully I will be in the team for all three tours," he added.

He is also looking forward to playing a leading role for T&T in the Caribbean T20 which bowls off on January 9 in Antigua with the defending champions, T&T, led by Denesh Ramdin, taking on the Windward Islands.

Asked if he was happy with his preparations for the tournament, Mohammed said: "Not at this point but I will definitely put in a lot of work before the new year and before the tournament actually starts. I will be ready for that Caribbean T20 and I am hoping to play a big part in Trinidad winning that tournament."

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ramdin in the runs at T20 trial
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
Khan XI score narrow victory
By Roger Seepersad

Story Created: Dec 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM ECT

Story Updated: Dec 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM ECT

Shannon Gabriel was in ripping form yesterday as he spearheaded the Imran Khan XI to a tense two-run win over the Denesh Ramdin XI in the second Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board Twenty20 practice match at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain.

Ramdin's team, comprising the core of the T&T Caribbean T20 squad who will compete in January's regional tournament, were restricted to 121 for eight off their 20 overs after Khan's team won the toss and made 123 for four.

Right-arm pacer Gabriel took three for 22 to put his team in a good position to win, while T&T Under-19 left-arm spinner Derone Davis (2/24) bowled another tight spell, including a tense final over, to bring home the victory.

Khan's team had a better showing in the second practice match, after being restricted to 55 for seven a day earlier.

This time openers Mario Belcon (36) and Evin Lewis (26) gave them a solid 49-run partnership for the first wicket, with Lewis playing most of the big shots.

The 20-year-old left-hander got going with a four through extra cover off Samuel Badree in the third over and followed up with another four in the next over off medium-pacer Rayad Emrit.

Lewis, who faced 31 balls, also spanked left-arm spinner Devindra Krishna for a straight four before he was brilliantly caught by Jason Mohammed at long on later in the over.

Mohammed ran far to his right and took a diving one-handed catch just inside the ropes as Khan's team lost their first wicket in the 11th over.

Belcon faced 46 balls for his top score before he was stumped by Ramdin off Sherwin Ganga, with the score on 80 in the 15th over, and it seemed like Khan's team were heading for another below par score.

But Navin Stewart (29 not out off 13 balls) and Adrian Ali (23) got the team back on track with the latter hitting pacer Kevon Cooper for a six and a four in the 17th over to take his team to 99.

Ali, who faced 17 balls, was dismissed in the next over, popping one up to Ramdin off Ganga, but Stewart picked up where Ali left off, smashing his first delivery from Ganga for six over long on and following up with three consecutive sixes off Emrit in the final over to take his team to a competitive score.

In reply, openers Lendl Simmons (1) and Justin Guillen (8) again failed to make an impression with Simmons departing in the first over, caught by Marlon Barclay at point trying to cut Gabriel to the fence.

Guillen, getting his first opportunity to represent T&T at the Caribbean T20, was back in the pavilion shortly after, caught by wicket keeper Ali in the fourth over.

Mohammed (32 off 33 balls) gave Ramdin's men some respite, putting on 54 runs with Cooper (28 off 32) for the third wicket before Emile Rajah (1/21) broke the partnership in the 12th over with Mohammed hitting one straight to Khan at mid-wicket.

Rajah and Davis kept the batsmen in check and, with the pressure beginning to mount, Cooper tried to go over the top and was caught by Daniel St Clair at long off, giving left-arm spinner Davis his first wicket of the match.

Sunil Narine brought the Ramdin XI closer to their target with his eight-ball 14 but was caught on the boundary off Davis while going for his second six.

With 22 needed off 12 balls, Gabriel bowled the penultimate over for seven runs and got the wicket of Emrit, leaving Davis with the tricky task of bowling the final over, but the 19-year-old was up to the task.

After being hit for a six by Badree off the first ball, the spinner kept the rest of the over tight as his team sneaked away with the win.

T&T have one final training session at the National Cricket Centre, Balmain, Couva on Saturday before leaving for Barbados on Tuesday to play more matches ahead of the Caribbean T20, which bowls off on January 9 in Antigua.

1]; } ?>