April 19, 2024, 09:14:14 AM

Author Topic: Shadow—Four decades of calypso  (Read 752 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shadow—Four decades of calypso
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
T&T Guardian

The venue is the Mas Camp Pub, the energetic, enigmatic and charismatic Shadow (Winston Bailey) is smiling, dressed in his trademark black. He is here to do one for Thunderbolt Williams. His mood is light-hearted. He takes a couple swigs on his drink and is ready to talk. I am comfortable. I asked the Shadow—whose career spans almost four decades of hit songs—Are you comfortable with your career at this stage of the game? “I am happy,” he said. “I am older and much wiser.” One can sense the buoyancy of this great artiste whose Naked Rhythm is tearing up the airwaves. It is one of his songs for 2012, but he reminds: “I have another called Don’t Mix Me Up.”

I like when Shadow is light, he gives interesting interviews, cracking you with his own blend of humour, wit and home-grown philosophy. Don’t try to unravel what he says, it will take a lifetime. He is over the moon over his son Sharlan’s production skills and announces: “I feel to do an album, but ah ’fraid them pirates.” Shadow has waged war against these men in song...but without success. Calypso judges, too, have gotten their slaps. In 1974, The Shadow beat Kitch and Sparrow like a bobolee, but was made to pay his dues.
Today he still faces the challenge of getting past the judges.

He was left out of the Calypso Fiesta this year despite delivering Scanty Love and Land of Calypso (a gem). Last year, much to his displeasure, he was put as a second reserve in the semi-finals. This action cut him worse than a knife. He told me back then: “They are putting little children in front of me.” He doesn’t want to talk much about these two setbacks. “You can’t tell me when to leave the stage (Skinner Park). I should be able to go as far as I can,” was all he would say. About performing in a tent next year, he is non-committal: “Let us leave that alone for the moment.” This year Shadow was the headline act at Kaiso House.

Facts about Shadow
• Came out in 1971, given first shot at the big stage by Blakie (Carlton Joseph).
• In the early years he revered Sparrow as his calypso idol.
• Famous Quote: “Calypso is not mango, it should not have a season.”
• Calypso Monarch 2000 sang: Scratch Meh Back and What’s Wrong With Me.
• Shadow was born October 4, 1941, in Trinidad, but grew up in Les Coteaux, Tobago.
• Joined Sparrow’s Young Brigade in 1970.
• First big song was The Threat sung in 1973.
• Winner of Nacc Top 20 Song of the Year 2000.

Professional titles
• Road March Monarch of Trinidad and Tobago 1974 and 2001.
• National Calypso Monarch of Trinidad and Tobago 2000.
• International Soca Monarch 2001.
• First artist to win both International Soca Monarch and Road March in the same year: 2001 with Stranger.
• Recipient of a Trinidad and Tobago National Award Humming Bird Medal: 2003.
• International Citations UN Honorary Caribbean Spokesperson on Aids: 2001-2002.
• Citations from Mayors in many cities including: New York London, Toronto and Washington DC.
• Albums and CD More than 45 albums and CDs.

Motion picture credits
His calypso, Everybody is Somebody was the soundtrack of the movie, Lean On Me starring Morgan Freeman.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Shadow—Four decades of calypso
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »
T&T Guardian

Motion picture credits
His calypso, Everybody is Somebody was the soundtrack of the movie, Lean On Me starring Morgan Freeman.

It may have been on the soundtrack  but I'm pretty sure the title soundtrack was the song "Lean on me."

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow—Four decades of calypso
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
Aye, The Threat was really a good song. That bass line was prominent in that song. The other one was Country Gyal. Anybody have them 2?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:31:14 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>