April 18, 2024, 04:37:03 PM

Author Topic: Devorn Jorsling Thread  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Devorn Jorsling Thread
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »
Jorsling signs with Caledonia
ttproleague.com

Former Defence Force ace forward Devorn Jorsling has joined hometown club Caledonia AIA of Morvant/Laventille during the December transfer window.

The 28 yearold striker became a free agent after his stint with American USL side Orlando City FC, and will line-up for Caledonia for the remainder of the 2011-12 season which ends next May.

“He is contracted with the obligation that if he gets the opportunity to play in the A-League or MLS, he is free to go,” explained Caledonia head coach Jamaal Shabazz.

“Devorn is a player constantly looking to continue playing in the US and because of this desire we are willing to help him fulfill his dreams.”

Jorsling who has been among the top goalscorers in recent seasons, finished the 2010-11 TT Pro League season as top scorer prior to his move to the United States where he continued his scoring form.

“I feel very good to have Devorn,” continued Shabazz. “He was with us some years ago when he came from W Connection and at that time he was still growing. And now in my opinion he is one of the top strikers in the Caribbean and the (TT Pro) League.

More importantly is the fact that he is from Morvant and went to school there.

He can be a tremendous inspiration in our community work with the young people of Morvant/Laventille. Devorn alongside Ataulla Guerra, Akim Armstrong, Keyon Edwards and Kareem Joseph are all players born and bred in the Morvant/Laventille communities. Our job now is to market them as examples to the youths of our communities,” said the Caledonia boss.

Shabazz added that it has always been a dual focus for Caledonia, “Winning trophies, but more importantly, making a positive impact on the lives of young people especially in the east west corridor.”

Caledonia travels to central Trinidad on Tuesday to meet W Connection from 6pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Round Two Match Day One with the opportunity of showcasing latest signings Jorsling and Ataulla Guerra.

2011-12 Digicel Pro League
Round Two Match Day One fixtures
Tuesday 13 December

Ato Boldon Stadium
W Connection vs Caledonia AIA—6pm

Mannie Ramjohn Stadium
Police FC vs St. Ann’s Rangers—6pm

Larry Gomes Stadium
North East Stars vs San Juan Jabloteh—6pm

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jorsling signs with Caledonia
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
I see like Police FC have a game,when did they start back playing?what going on with DF when will they start back? may be everything isn't back to norm.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
I see like Police FC have a game,when did they start back playing?what going on with DF when will they start back? may be everything isn't back to norm.

Police is back in action tomorrow, and Defence Force will return on Friday.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »
Let it go, after three years you will be thirty,what next?Boy stay in Trini,keep your job and your pension. ???

What next??? I said this would have been a bad move :-\

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
the man leave army to go away now he get released so have to start a fresh hmm

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
Spinning top in MUD. Back to Trinidad to sign a contract? Where is the advancement??

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
he can go back to the Army!!!!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:16:27 AM »
tulla tulla tulla
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HEH8cYgRegU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HEH8cYgRegU</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jorsling back with Defence Force.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Jorsling back with Defence Force.
ttproleague.com.

Trinidad and Tobago striker Devorn Jorsling has returned to the Defence Force Football Club and more so the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment.

The 28 year old joined the soldiers earlier this month for 2012-2013 pre-season training following a 6-month stint with his home-town club Caledonia AIA or Morvant-Laventille where he enjoyed unquestionable success.

In 2010 after guiding Defence Force to lift the Digicel Pro League Championship, Jorsling, one of the Army’s most prolific strikers, was granted two years in which to pursue a professional football career outside Trinidad and Tobago, on the request of the player.

And in January of 2011 he signed a one-year agreement with USL Pro division club Orlando City teaming up with fellow Trinidadian and former San Juan Jabloteh and Ma Pau SC player Kevin Molino to help the Lions win the League.

However Jorsling’s contract wasn’t renewed by Orlando City in 2011 and January opted to join the Jamaal Shabazz coached Caledonia, the club he represented in 2001 before joining Defence Force in 2002.

Jorsling said, “Things didn't work out how I wanted in the US so I returned home and took that opportunity to represent my home (town) club Caledonia AIA.”

He enjoyed huge success in his short 6-month stint helping the club add the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield, FA Trophy, a third place finish in the Digicel Pro League two points shy of winner W Connection, the Caribbean Football Union Club Championship and berth into the CONCACAF Champions’ League which were both club history-making accomplishments to a season which included the First Citizens Cup.

“It was a great feeling, a great achievement for me because some of the guys at Caledonia are guys I played with at primary school level. So to go back and play with them at a professional level and win trophies was a great feeling for me. It was something I always wanted to do as a player and I achieved that,” shared Jorsling over his accomplishments at Caledonia.

“Devorn Jorsling made a huge contribution to Caledonia when he came in for half a season,” said Shabazz.

“We really appreciate that. It’s something that he gave back not just to Caledonia as a team, but to Morvant-Laventille as a community.

“He had to go back to the army, because when you look at the long term, its better a decision for him to go back because of the benefits he has accrued as a soldier.

“We are happy for him but it’s going to be challenging [for us without Jorsling] because the team has grown accustomed to him and dependant on him in a lot of ways.

“He is a player that has a goal in him. And playing in the CONCACAF Champions’ League, we need a player like that but there are also a lot of young players ready to step in such as Trevin Caesar who has been on the bench while Jorsling was a starter.

We have Sheldon Holder and our own home grown veteran Conrad Smith. So we have guys that are going to step in, but I think Devorn is a player that’s going to be missed, but we wish him all the best going back into the Defence Force,” Shabazz closed.

“I think you have to look at life after football and that was one of the main reasons in me returning to the Defence Force.,” enlightened Jorsling.

“You can only play football for some years and Defence Force gives you the opportunity to have a life after football. So that was one of the main reasons returning to Defence Force.”

He went further to add, “Obviously [I would have regrets] as player because I want to play in the CONCACAF Champions' League, but in saying that, I have a wife (Kesi) and two kids (11 year old Desire and 4 year old Destiny).

“It was a hard decision, but it isn't for me personally. It’s for my wife and kids by returning to the Defence Force. But I believe next year I would get the opportunity with the Defence Force to play in the Champions' League. It was a tough decision but I know I made the right decision to return to the Defence Force,” ended Jorsling.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jorsling back with Defence Force.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
reality bites!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jorsling back with Defence Force.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VmnFoIieJAU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VmnFoIieJAU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Devorn Jorsling Thread
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »
Jorsling rewrites T&T Pro League record books
CONCACAF.com

By scoring his fourth hat-trick of the 2014/15 campaign, Trinidad & Tobago international Devorn Jorsling vaulted his name to the top of the all-time goalscorers list in T&T Pro League history.

Jorsling’s historic performance propelled Defence Force to a 4-1 victory over Point Fortin Civic FC last Sunday and took his tally to a record 134 goals.

“It is a great feeling,” Jorsling told CONCACAF.com.  “When you retire as a footballer these are the things you look back at and people remember you by.  To achieve that in Trinidad & Tobago where we have had great strikers in the Pro League, when I found out about it I was happy.”

Jorsling has scored a league-leading 19 goals this season and is aiming to eclipse his personal record of 21 with two games left on the schedule.

For motivation, the 31-year-old is out to prove his detractors wrong because, according to him, many people feel he is past his prime.

“To prove them wrong is the motivating factor this season,” Jorsling said.  “Crossing thirty people heckle me and say that I am old, because I am 31 now; old in football that is.”

Next, Jorsling wants to become a permanent fixture in the Trinidad & Tobago national team.  He won his first cap in 2007 and has made 40 appearances for the Soca Warriors.

He hopes to play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup this summer.

“I missed out on the last Gold Cup,” Jorsling finished.  “I think finishing the season strong gives me a chance to be looked at going into the Gold Cup.”

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:30:18 AM by Flex »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Jorsling rewrites T&T Pro League record books
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
Ok, point noted.
Any recent observers would like to comment on whether Jorsling should get a run in Gold Cup?
He is not the breakaway, running-off-the-ball striker but is a kenwyn jones type, back to the goal target, physically strong, deadly with 2 feet and could fight for KJ's place as a sub off the bench. Remember every player needs to have somebody competing for their role.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:49:58 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Majestic

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »
Some will then ask "what do we do with Glen?"

tricky one because he is one of my favourite Pro League players and his record clearly talkin (dat free kick he scored recently was pure class)...it go be relll hard for him to get back on the team though; ultimately, I say...keep bussin d net SoulJah, see how tings play out.

When Skipper not in d game/ not havin a good game is when we need to play another style...leggo Molino and d Winchesters.
He Is Highly

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 08:03:03 AM »
Never like Jorsling, ah find he to slow, we have to much unmobile players who doh do nothing all game, Glen is a better bet.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »
I'm inclined to see it that way too but if a man hitting' top scoring form and fitness and looking to bresk all local scoring records, that cyah be ignored either eh.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 04:52:49 AM »
Jorsling nets his 20th goal in win over Jabloteh.
ttproleague.com.

D/Force virtually snatches Digicel Pro League third place finish

Larry Gomes Stadium, MALABAR – Leading scorer Devorn Jorsling netted his 20th goal of the 2014-2015 Digicel Pro League season on Sunday to lift Defence Force to a 1-0 win over San Juan Jabloteh to virtually earn the army/coastguard combination a creditable third place finish this season behind frontrunners Central FC and W Connection.

The 31-year-old Jorsling had two earlier tries before getting it right in the 34th minute when his lethal left leg sent the ball into the left upper corner of goalkeeper Shane Mattis' netting following a short Kerry Joseph feed at the top of the box.

The win improved coach Marvin Gordon’s side to 39 points in third position, six points clear of Point Fortin Civic and North East Stars, both with 33 points in fourth and fifth respectively.

North East Stars still stand with a mathematical shot at third with remaining matches against leaders Central FC and Caledonia AIA in the coming week but with Defence Force’s goal difference at 15, compared to the Sangre Grande club’s goal difference of 1, it is near impossible target even if the soldiers lose their final match against cellar placed St. Ann’s Rangers.

Jabloteh, this season’s Toyota Classic champions, occupying sixth with 28 points and must face W Connection on the final day at the end of the week, were prevented from scoring on three occasions by Defence Force goalkeeper Sheldon Clarke, who did well to preserve his side’s slim lead.

Clarke made a huge saves in the 53rd, 70th and 90th minutes to blank Kerry Baptiste and Tyrone Charles twice respectively.

While his opposite number, Jamaican Shane Mattis in goal for Jabloteh, also had an excellent afternoon despite conceding in the 34th minute.

Mattis, who pushed out substitute Akeem Roach’s attempt toward the bottom left corner in the 55th minute, denied Jorsling in the 77th and 90th minutes, parrying solid strikes on both instances.

Jorsling, who leads the TT Pro League all-time scoring chart with 135 goals and this season's league scorers with 20 goals, stands two goals shy of beating his personal best in a season of 21 goals.

Digicel Pro League action continues on Tuesday 28 April with a rescheduled double header at the Ato Boldon Stadium when second positioned W Connection (46 points) meet seventh placed Police FC (27 points) from 6 pm before Central FC (52 points), one point away from hoisting the 2014-2015 league crown, tackle North East Stars from 8 pm on the penultimate day.

But if Connection, last season’s winners, were to lose or draw against Police, Central, boasting a somewhat unassailable goal difference, will be the champions even before kicking off against North East Stars.

Results

Defence Force 1 (Devorn Jorsling 34’) vs San Juan Jabloteh 0

Teams

Defence Force: 25.Sheldon Clarke; 4.Dave Long (Yellow Card), 6.Rodell Elcock, 9.Devorn Jorsling, 12.Jemel Sebro (11.Akeem Roach 55th), 13.Marvin Jones, 17.Ross Russell Jr. (90.Jelani Felix 72nd), 21.Aklie Edwards, 22.Jamali Garcia, 23.Kerry Joseph (10.Josimar Belgrave 62nd), 99.Jerwyn Balthazar

Unused substitutes: 2.Glynn Franklyn, 16.Kellon Serette, 26.Richard Roy, 28.Andre Marchan (GK)

Coach: Marvin Gordon

San Juan Jabloteh: 30.Shane Mattis; 4.Garth Thomas, 6.Dario Holmes, 7.Andell Noray (25.Micah Lansiquot 61st), 8.Newton Sterling (9.Johan Peltier 61st), 10.Kerry Baptiste (20.Nkosi David 71st), 11.Damian Williams, 15.Isaiah Mc Intyre, 18.Jevon Morris (Yellow Card), 24.Adrian Reid, 29.Tyrone Charles.

Unused substitutes: 23.Brendon Figuera, 28.Kendes Garcia, 36.Raheem Belgrave (GK), 27.Tekay Hoyte

Coach: Keith Jeffrey

Match Referee: Johann Corneille

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Nice to see players, through their performance on the field, put pressure on selectors

I'm guessing coaches/selectors don't mind having that kind of "headache" at all
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
Nice to see players, through their performance on the field, put pressure on selectors

I'm guessing coaches/selectors don't mind having that kind of "headache" at all

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 02:07:44 AM »
Jorsling and Joseph claim ‘Wendy’ awards
T&T Express Reports.

Devorn Jorsling wants to get back in the Trinidad and Tobago team for the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup. He also wants to beat Marcus Joseph to the award of top goalscorer of the soon to be concluded 2014-2015 Digicel Pro League season.

Both were named Wendy’s Player of the Month—Defence Force striker Jorsling for February and Point Fortin Civic’s Joseph for March. Joseph won last season’s Golden Boot award with 16 goal and Jorsling second with 12. Jorsling already has 20 this season with one match left for the Army against bottom club St Ann’s Rangers, while Joseph has 15 goals.

Jorslings knack for scoring goals has recently vaulted him to the top of the TT Pro League all-time scoring chart with 135 goals, four more than San Juan Jabloteh’s Kerry Baptiste. Jorsling (135), Kerry Baptiste (131) and former national standout Arnold Dwarika (103) are the only players with more than a century of Pro League goals, while St. Lucian Earl Jean is the top foreigner and fourth overall with 90 goals, followed by Anthony Wolfe (78), Aurtis Whitley (76) and Guyana’s Randolph Jerome (74), while Jorsling’s Defence Force teammate Josimar Belgrave is next with 64.

Over the years, Jorsling has two Digicel Pro League championships (2010-2011 & 2012-2013) among various Cup medals. He has won three Golden Boot Awards (2008, 2010-2011 & 2012-2013), and the in 2010-2011 Player of the Year honour for which he won a car.

But the 31-year-old Jorsling has further personal ambitions of his own, include breaking his personal scoring record of 21 goals in a season, and proving his worth for a recall to the Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team for the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

He won his first cap in 2007 and has made 40 appearances for the “Soca Warriors”, scoring 17 goals.

“I hope to get back into the national set-up,” Jorsling declared. “I can only try to persuade the national coaches with my goal scoring abilities and hopefully the call will come.”

Jorsling said that his goal at the start of the season was to score 20 league goals, a goal he has already achieved, inclusive of four hat-tricks. With one match remaining, his target is now beating his personal best of 21 league goals in a season.

“For me this has been my best season ever,” added the Defence Force target man. “Because of how difficult it was and being able to achieve what I’ve done so far. I was still dealing with the loss of my best friend [and former teammate] Kevon Carter (who died of a heart attack a year ago). Also, we (Defence Force) didn’t start well, and in the first two rounds I wasn’t really the first choice in attack.”

And the prolific Defence Force forward’s dream is to truly become an inspiration to other males from his Morvant hometown.

“It is where I came from and wanting to do good, and appearing in the news for the good reasons is what I think sets me apart from other forwards. I am from Coconut Drive in Morvant, a somewhat depressed place. So I hope that what I do as a footballer could probably influence other young males to do well,” Jorsling said.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
Good story. He may be a stationary style back to goal target striker, when most of us and BraveHart really want blistering off the ball breakaway runs like Peltier, Rundell etc but if he is used right he could be used for his strength as a target and vicious 2 footed shooting to cause serious problems. I say pick him for Concacaf. He will put pressure on KJ too as they have some similarities in their roles. Go BraveHart. Go T&T.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »
I think he is the perfect stand-in to Kenwyne in order to keep the style of play when Kenwyne not around. (although I would bank on him scoring more than Kewnyne would.)
I prefer we play with neither, though. Willis Plaza and another speedy striker (or Molino in the hole) as opposed to the target man approach that we seem to use just to accommodate our one "big name" player.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
Pro League goal rush: Jorsling and Baptiste continue historic battle
By Roneil Walcott (Wired868.com)

Born in the same month, veteran Pro League strikers Kerry Baptiste, 33, and Devorn Jorsling, 31, have much more in common than a birth month and being in the twilights of their careers.
Both men still have a knack for finding the back of the net, a talent that has seems to have gone awol in Trinidad and Tobago football of late.  The pair are currently locked in a tight battle at the top of the Pro League’s all-time goal-scoring chart and, barring a protest by their aging bodies, it is a battle that might last for some time yet.
The two rivals go head-to-head from 4 pm on Sunday April 26 when their teams square off in the penultimate round of the 2014/2015 TT Pro League at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

At Play Whe San Juan Jabloteh’s early morning training session in Barataria on Monday, it was business as usual for Baptiste.  The diminutive striker, now often utilized as a withdrawn playmaker, has a consistent position on the part training plays in his footballing success.
“It’s a quote I always try to live by,” he told Wired868 philosophically. “The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during war.’  The young guys nowadays don’t want to put in those extra hours in the pre-season or in practice. I always try to take my training as seriously as possible.”
Practice, the persistent assistance of his teammates and God – not necessarily in that order – are the three elements which, according to Baptiste, are responsible for his prolific goal-scoring.
“With God all things are possible. I thank him for that, the talent.”
Baptiste did not begin his career as an all-action striker for whom striking comes so effortlessly. When he first burst onto the scene in his earlier Pro League years, he was playing mainly as a winger for Jabloteh and Joe Public. At Joe Public, he found his true calling and rewrote the Pro League’s record books.
He recalls the first time coach Derek King utilized him as a striker; it was in a pre-season fixture against Ma Pau. The result?  Four second-half goals. After that, he became the main striker in coach King’s 4-3-3 line-up, a system King likens to the one Barcelona currently uses.
By the end of that season in 2009, the wily attacker had 48 goals to his name, 34 of them in the Pro League, thus earning himself  and his club many accolades that year.
“I always give respect to Derek King because coaches are the ones who give players the opportunity to showcase themselves and King saw something in me and gave me the opportunity (to play as a striker).”
It is true that King’s hand had almost forced into playing the diminutive Baptiste up top, given the departure of some key players, including Guyanese striker Gregory “Jackie Chan” Richardson.  It turned out, however, to be a masterstroke.
“We didn’t really have an out-and-out striker,” said coach King, “so we used him up there in our pre-season matches and he scored a lot of goals. We also had some quality midfielders in Hayden Tinto, Yu Hoshide and Gorean Highley so that was our main reason for using Kerry there. He (Kerry) has a good footballing brain and he puts himself in positions to score goals.”
Read more: http://wired868.com/2015/04/23/pro-league-goal-rush-jorsling-and-baptiste-continue-historic-battle/

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If not now, then when? Devorn Jorsling quits Warriors after G/Cup snub
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
If not now, then when? Jorsling quits Warriors after G/Cup snub
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Defence Force striker and the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League’s all-time top scorer, Devorn Jorsling, has scored his last goal in the red, white and black strip.

Jorsling, who failed to break into the Trinidad and Tobago squad for the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup, declared today that he feels his last chance to play in a major tournament for the “Soca Warriors” is gone.

“To be honest, I believe that under the present coaching staff I won’t be getting a look in anytime soon,” said the 31-year-old Jorsling, who was the Pro League’s top scorer in the just concluded season. “Because if I am displaying this kind of form now and I’ve got in shape and I still can’t get into the 23, then when would I ever get into the team?

“I think my mind and my heart is telling me it is time to call it a day in international football.”

Farewell, number nine. Trinidad and Tobago Pro League fans and die hard Warrior fans would mourn Jorsling’s passing. Although the supporters who only show up for the glamorous international matches would wonder what all the fuss is about.

Jorsling’s tally of 17 international goals from 40 outings is the tenth best Trinidad and Tobago return of all time. From the strikers available to Warriors head coach Stephen Hart, only Cornell Glen’s 23 goals from 67 caps and Kenwyne Jones’ 18 items from 70 caps were more prolific for their country.

Glen, incidentally, is not in the squad either and has not been picked since the 2013 Gold Cup, after which he headed to the Indian professional circuit.

The reason that many fair weather fans might shrug their shoulders at Jorsling’s retirement is that his 17 goals were all scored against Caribbean opposition: Antigua and Barbuda (5), St Vincent and the Grenadines (4), Guyana (3) and one apiece against Barbados, St Kitts and Nevis, Jamaica, St Lucia and Haiti.

He has never scored in a World Cup qualifier nor played at a Gold Cup tournament. And, in a self-fulfilling prophecy, that has become a reason not to play him when the big games come along.

In truth, Jorsling’s international career was partly stunted by the glut of quality forwards on the scene at the time. He made his debut in 2008 under Colombian Francisco Maturana when the likes of Stern John, Jason Scotland, Cornell Glen, Kenwyne Jones and Darryl Roberts were all in the mix.

“I think my career was a success in terms of the era I was in,” Jorsling told Wired868. “There were even top players in the local leagues at the time like Kerry Baptiste, Gary Glasgow and Errol McFarlane. Because of the quality around, that hampered my chances a bit.”

Jorsling is neither a dazzling dribbler, a pacy frontman nor an aerial bully. So, without height or athleticism, he maximised his own less flashy talents to the point of making an art of it.

“I think the plus I bring to any team is my set pieces,” said Jorsling. “I don’t think there are many players in world football who can score from a direct set piece. Also I can hold up the ball and bring players into the game and create for my teammates… Besides scoring obviously.”

Scoring seems overrated in the modern game, if only because few championship teams cherish poachers these days. Apart from Jorsling, consider Argentina’s Gonzalo Higuain, Mexico’s Javier Hernandez, Netherland’s Klaas-Jan Huntelaar or, perhaps, Colombia’s Radamel Falcao.

“To be honest, they aren’t many ‘number nines’ left,” said Jorsling. “When you look at (Luis) Suarez and so on, most teams opt for a false nine or a floating striker. But then football is always changing and maybe two or three years down the line they might go back to a classic nine.

“I wouldn’t say that should affect me though because, barring for the exceptional teams, many sides still use a nine to hold up play or work one-twos with tricky attacking players coming from behind.”

Hart declined the chance to have Jorsling as an option at the Gold Cup. Willis Plaza, Jonathan Glenn and Jones are more versatile attackers. Tellingly, none of those three started their senior careers as classic centre forwards.

Expect Pro League fans to moan if and when the Warriors do need a poacher to bring off the bench. Although Hart suggested that fitness issues rather than talent has curtailed Jorsling’s chances over the last two years.

The Defence Force striker has done appreciable individual work over the last six months and he looks leaner than ever. But, apparently, doubts linger within Trinidad and Tobago’s technical staff as to whether Jorsling can be trimmer still.

An injury before the Warriors’ Gold Cup opener against Guatemala on July 7 might have opened the door for the poacher while it is not inconceivable that Hart could opt for something new for the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign, which starts in October.

But Jorsling, frustrated and hurt, feels he cannot wait in line anymore.

“No disrespect to the current players but I don’t see myself being left out of a 23-man squad,” said Jorsling. “I know that Kenwyne brings that experience and pedigree to the team but, otherwise, I don’t think there is as much talent as before when I started.

“Being left out in the past to the likes of Stern John, Jason Scotland, Cornell Glen and Kenwyne Jones, even though it was disappointing you have to be humble and say those guys are better than you…

“But if I can’t get into the 23 now with the form I am in, I think my mind and my heart is telling me it is time to call it a day in international football.”

Jorsling scored three times from one start and three substitute appearances under Maturana. But he was only ever considered a local alternative for the foreign stars at the time.

His best spell came under coach Russell “the Little Magician” Latapy when he plundered ten goals from 15 appearances.

“Latapy is the first coach who honestly gave me an opportunity,” said Jorsling. “I had to work my way up under Latapy too but I felt confident and that I can be myself. Hence the number of goals I scored under him.

“For me, confidence is a great factor in playing football. Latapy was the best coach I worked with on the national team for that reason.”

Jorsling got his first taste of World Cup qualifying action under Latapy as he played for 36 minutes at the Azteca Stadium in a 2-1 loss to Mexico, 13 minutes away to Costa Rica in a 4-0 defeat and then from the start in a 2-2 tie at home to Mexico.

“Two memories stood out for me while playing for Trinidad and Tobago,” said Jorsling. “I remember the night when Latapy told me I would skipper the team the next day (against Antigua and Barbuda). The next one that was playing in such an amazing atmosphere at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico.

“I also had the chance to play alongside Dwight Yorke (in Mexico) and sharing the dressing room with someone of that quality and stature was something amazing for me.”

But there were lean days ahead after Latapy was sacked in December 2010.

Jack Warner quit football, six months later, and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s finances went with him. In the next two years, the Warriors played just four friendly matches and their form dipped drastically.

Jorsling made only two appearances for Otto Pfister and did not score in a combined 75 minutes of playing time. He scored a hat-trick in his debut under Hutson Charles, against Antigua, but found himself relegated behind younger, faster but not necessarily deadlier strikers like Jamal Gay, Richard Roy and Plaza.

His last international goal came against St Vincent in a Caribbean Cup qualifier at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet on 14 November 2012. At the time, Jorsling’s tally read: 17 goals, 30 caps. He failed to score in his next eight outings for Charles and Jamaal Shabazz and was also goalless, this year, in two  substitute appearances for Hart against Curaçao and Jordan.

“I picked up a slight ankle injury (against St Vincent) and didn’t play for the rest of the (qualifying) tournament,” said Jorsling. “The Caribbean Cup was tough as I started off as the fourth choice striker and managed to work my way into the team. I did well with my link up play but I didn’t manage to score, which I know is the thing that strikers are judged by…

“Then Hart came in and I was in the wilderness for two years.”

The goals kept flowing at Pro League level though and Jorsling’s form during the 2014/15 season, in particular, suggested that the Warriors might have a “fox in the box” for the Gold Cup. But Hart decided to go without a classic number nine.

“I would have loved to play in an international tournament but I have no regrets,” said Jorsling. “As a boy, it was a dream to play for my country. And right now I am tenth in the all-time scoring list. So I am pretty pleased with what I’ve achieved in international football.”

Jorsling wished his teammates well at the Gold Cup and hinted that the door was not closed entirely. But, for now, he has given up on adding to his international goal tally.

“Everything is subject to change because I am a member of the TT Defence Force and my priority is to serve my country,” he said. “But at the present moment, I feel that it is best to retire. If i can’t get a chance now, when will I get the opportunity again?

“Of course I wish my teammates all the best and I hope they do well because that will determine a lot for the upcoming World Cup (qualifying campaign) and the future of Trinidad and Tobago’s football.

“I will always wish them well in the game because football has given me everything I have.”

Jorsling’s focus will now switch to the Pro League where his overall returns of 136 goals—five more than San Juan Jabloteh’s Kerry Baptiste—is a domestic record.

Only Pro League fans would be able to appreciate his lethal finishing now.

Trinidad and Tobago’s top international strikers
(According to RSSS statistics)

1. Stern John (70 goals)

2. Angus Eve (34 goals)

3. Russell Latapy (29 goals)

4. Arnold Dwarika (28 goals)

5. Cornell Glen (23 goals)

6. Nigel Pierre (22 goals)

7. Leonson Lewis (21 goals)

8. Dwight Yorke (19 goals)

9. Kenwyne Jones (18 goals)

10. Devorn Jorsling (17 goals)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:19:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »
Jorsling quits T&T after being snob for the 2015 Gold Cup.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
jorslin you are nothing but a fringe squad player at best and scoring 20 goals in the PFL is not a head turner truth be told. you have been given ample opportunities to show what you got and in the big important games you froze, so chill with the sour grapes my dude. at least you got more of a shot than jamal gay, kerry baptise, andre tousant, kendell jagdeosingh, and hayden tinto who in my opinion were better players and offered more in attack.

the next one i want to see shut out if he doesn't show up in the gold cup is willis plaza. ATM he's 27 and by now he ought to be in his prime as of a few years ago, and if he doesn't put goals in the basket then he too must be put out on the door step. no time for obligations.

i can't believe the nerve of this guy. better players like errol mcfarlene, gary glassgow, cornell glen and colin samuels all got shut out and never got another call and had to deal with it, and now this guy at 30 and passed his (sell by date) got way more chances than these players and now wants to blame the coach for his inability to make the team? devon grow up.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Real haters on this board...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Real haters on this board...

being realistic is equated as being a hater???? ??? ::)

1]; } ?>