May 01, 2024, 05:12:00 AM

Author Topic: Caledonia AIA arrives for 22nd K&S Tournament  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Caledonia AIA arrives for 22nd K&S Tournament
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
Caledonia AIA arrives for 22nd K&S Tournament
guyanachronicle.com

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s Professional League club Neal and Massy Caledonia AIA and Caribbean United out of Barbados yesterday arrived for their engagement in this year’s Kashif and Shanghai Football tournament.

Caribbean United, playing in their second Kashif and Shanghai tournament, will take on Winners Connection tomorrow at the Mackenzie Sports Club ground in Linden while Caledonia AIA are set to face New Amsterdam United on Christmas Day at the Blairmont Community Centre Ground in West Berbice.

At a media briefing held at the Wind Jammer Hotel, Caledonia AIA’s Coach Travis Mulraine, team captain Walter Moore and Technical Director Jamaal Shabazz spoke profoundly about their chances of winning this year’s tournament while displaying high quality football.

“There’s no other tournament in the Caribbean or anywhere else that I’ve heard that has a first prize of one pound of gold, so we are all professionals and as such I think that’s enough motivation for us to come here to win this tournament.  We are here and our objective is to win,” exclaimed Mulraine.

The former (MLS) San Jose Earthquake midfielder player who has enjoyed a fruitful career in the sport, is normally a player/coach at the Neal and Massy Group of Companies-sponsored club and expressed his delight to be in Guyana and having a chance to play in what he called “one of the biggest tournaments in the Caribbean”.

Moore, a Guyanese international and well-known figure in the local football fraternity, said he is overwhelmed at the fact that he’s not only playing in this year’s tournament but also captaining the Trinidadian club.

Moore, a prominent member of the ‘Golden Jaguars’, said that while he knows for once he will be a certain enemy since he’s playing on the foreign team, he’s happy to be ‘not so liked side’, given the fact he will “show Guyana that once you’re dedicated, you can go places and develop your game.

“I think it’s a lesson for aspiring young football players to come to the game to watch us play and to know that they too can be just like me. I grew up playing in the tournament since the age of 16,” Moore said.

He added, “Caledonia has been good to me, I was able to go many places to personally develop myself and skills as a player. They have given me that opportunity, so me being here to play means a lot and more so, we are here to win this tournament. The guys are all hungry to win,”

They come to Guyana off a four-game win streak in the Pro-League where they sit in fourth position and Shabazz, though confident of winning the 22nd Kashif and Shanghai tournament, remains focused and respectful of their opponents.

“We have a mixed team, a team that has both youth and experience,” said Shabazz “the team has four players from the Trinidad and Tobago Under-23 team (Nuru Mohammed, Trevin Caesar, Aquil Selby, Jamaal Gay and Zaine Coker) and two senior National players (Atullah Guerra and Akim Armstrong).

“We also have Walter Moore, Tryon Bobb and Colin Nelson of Guyana, so this team is a team that will easily win this tournament, but I’m aware of the competition.”

It was also noted that Trinidad’s dapper striker in Devon Jorsling will arrive later in the week to complement the already strong Caledonia line-up, while Shabazz who also coaches Guyana’s senior national team said that during his tenure, he will invite several local players to train with the team and will allow Mulraine to have a look at them.

“I have a soft heart for Guyanese players, for me, I would take them all back to Trinidad, so I will have Travis (Mulraine) take a look at them also, because trust me, he has a very keen eye for talent and I will use his judgment and also we will be looking at players as the tournament goes on,” Shabazz explained.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caledonia AIA arrives for 22nd K&S Tournament
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
This is a good tournament for Caledonia to play in. Lets hope they restore some pride to T&T. Cally on a good run at the moment. However, it is notable that their form only picked up once Shabazz turned his focus from Guyana back to Cally. He's proving to be a good coach, but juggling two positions may cost Cally in the long run.

Good luck Cally, bring home the gold!!! 

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Caledonia AIA grabs K & S 2011 title
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »
Caledonia AIA grabs K & S 2011 title
By Melinda Bishundyal (Guyana Times)

Caledonia AIA out of Trinidad and Tobago grabbed the 2011 Kashif and Shanghai title in an intense battle against Pele with a 2-0 victory at the National Stadium on New Year’s evening. The new champion will fly home with one pound of gold (the equivalent of $4 million), while runner-up, Pele, will walk away with $1 million dollars.

Both teams started energetically with smooth passing and several shots at goal but both goalkeepers were exceptional, as the 0-0 score testified at half-time.

In the second half, however, Caledonia took control of the game. Devorn Jorsling scored off a free kick in the 74th minute and with the goalkeeper stranded way outside the goal, Jamal Gay gently pushed the ball beyond the line in the 83rd minute.

On several occasions Pele were able to take the play in the vicinity of the Caledonia AIA goal but on each occasion they were dispossessed decisive Caledonia tackling and passing.

Due to continuous rain during the day, the outfield was skiddy and unfriendly and undoubtedly affected the quality of play.

Pele were out-of-sorts in the later part of the second half and seemed content to surrender the bulk of the possession to the Trinidadians. Most of their shots on goal were way above target.

Devon Millington and Jackie Chan, both Pele players, got yellow cards in the first and second halves respectively.

Earlier in the evening, Milerock and Amelia’s Ward, both out of Linden, went up against each other in the third place playoff, with Milerock emerging victorious with a 2-0 win, earning themselves $500,000. The goal scorers were Randolph Jerome in the 60th and Randy Small in the 68th minute with a bicycle kick which earned him the best goal of the tournament.

Bakewell Buxton Stars won the Fair-play prize. The MVP in the tournament was Ataullah Guerra of Caledonia. Charles Pollard of Milerock won the Best Defender prize and Travis Waterton from Amelia’s Ward was the Best Midfielder. Randy Small of Milerock scored the Most Spectacular Goal while Andrew Williams of Victoria Kings made the Best Save. Devon Millington of Pele scored the Most Goals, with 7.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
 4 million guyanese $?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:19:56 AM »
$4 million Guyanese $$$ is about $3,800 US dollars, ask VB, he should know, he is ah f00cking under cover Guyanese.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Guyanese-Baller

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:19 PM »
1lb gold = G$4m = US$20,000 = TT$120,000 approx

Respect and blessings!
GB

1]; } ?>