April 18, 2024, 08:16:42 PM

Author Topic: Peja Stojakovic Retires: A Sacramento Fan’s Reaction  (Read 1513 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Peja Stojakovic Retires: A Sacramento Fan’s Reaction
« on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
By Kyle Rapoza

Peja Stojakovic has announced his retirement from the game of basketball. The former Sacramento Kings star is coming off of a championship winning season as a member of the Dallas Mavericks. After battling back and foot injuries throughout his career, Stojakovic is leaving the game after 13 NBA seasons.

This news means little to NBA fans today, but Stojakovic has been a great player in the league for a long time. As a longtime fan of the Sacramento Kings, I remember back when Peja was drafted and I openly questioned who he was and why the team was wasting a high draft pick on him. Then he arrived from Serbia and Sacramento quickly had one of the greatest three point shooters in the NBA.

With my favorite team nowhere near the playoffs last season, it was great to see the former Sacramento King excelling for the Dallas Mavericks and helping them knock the Los Angeles Lakers out of the playoffs. Seeing Stojakovic enter games and instantly start making three point baskets made me feel as if I was watching my team succeed. Seeing Stojakovic then play a role and receive a championship ring when Dallas beat the Miami Heat was also very enjoyable.

Peja Stojakovic finished his career averaging 17 points per game and shooting 40 percent from three point range. It was surprising to hear that he ranks fourth all-time in total three point baskets made.

I'll always remember Peja Stojakovic for his big three point baskets he made during Sacramento's great run from 2001-2004. Stojakovic was a key to those teams and made them one of the most explosive offenses of that era. Stojakovic also deserves to have his jersey retired in Sacramento alongside his former teammates Chris Webber and Vlade Divac.

It was great to see him get a championship ring that he deserves and cap off a great career with a ring. It's always nice to see a player leave the game on top and Stojakovic is the perfect example of that.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Peja Stojakovic Retires: A Sacramento Fan’s Reaction
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »
the raptors worked a deal to the mavs for him.

1]; } ?>