April 23, 2024, 02:41:06 PM

Author Topic: Toronto man dies after alleged police beating in Grenada  (Read 1464 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toronto man dies after alleged police beating in Grenada
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
The Associated Press

Grenada's Prime Minister Tillman Thomas is calling for an investigation into the death of a Toronto man who was allegedly beaten by police.

The prime minister is seeking details about the death on Tuesday of 39-year-old Oscar Bartholomew, a spokesman said.

Bartholomew, who was originally from Grenada, had returned to the Caribbean island to celebrate the Christmas holidays with family and friends.

According to media reports, Bartholomew had hugged a female police officer whom he mistook for an old friend.

Oscar Bartholomew died after allegedly being beaten by police in Grenada. (Courtesy Grenada Broadcast)Bartholomew "hugged and lifted her off the ground before recognizing that it was a case of mistaken identity. His actions were viewed as assault on a police officer," Grenada Broadcast reported on its website.

"He was then apprehended and beaten by police, before succumbing to his injuries at the General Hospital," the media outlet reported.

A spokesperson for the Royal Grenada Police Force said the incident happened on Monday at about 2 p.m. local time and that the force is investigating.

Another police officer suggested Bartholomew may have been resisting arrest.

"It is very unfortunate and senior officers have actually visited the relatives and the next of kin of the deceased to officially inform them of the unfortunate incident. We have also extended our deepest condolences on the behalf of the commissioner and the force. So it is not something that we feel happy about," Supt. Dunbar Belson told CBC News.

Police have declined any further comment and said they would issue a statement later.

George Grant of Grenada Broadcast told CBC News on Wednesday that there have been several allegations cases of police brutality against the RGPF in the past few years.

At least three cases of police brutality were reported in 2011.

Grant said police launch investigations into the charges, but never reveal the outcomes.

Bartholomew was living in Toronto and married to a Canadian.

According to his family, he and his wife were in Grenada to visit relatives over Christmas.

A spokesman for the Canadian High Commission said a statement was expected to be released soon.

In Ottawa, a Foreign Affairs spokesperson said the department is “aware of reports of the death of a permanent resident of Canada in Grenada. Our thoughts and condolences are with those affected by this tragedy.”

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto man dies after alleged police beating in Grenada
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »

What a tragic story .

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »
That is considered assault on a police officer...ah hug!!!

I guess if you turn around and see ah man holding another officer, it could be viewed like that but damn, two hard lash and then ask question!  Not 10 hard lash and then ask questions smh!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:22:01 PM by chinee boi »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
RIP!!!! That is real sad!
I guess the moral of this tragic story is, keep your distance from the police, friend or no friend.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
I guess the moral of this tragic story is, keep your distance from the police, friend or no friend.

Ent, steups
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Hmm.  Why everybody so angry boi?   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
When i saw the headline i knew it wasn't ah white canadian or ah born black canadian, right away i knew it was an xpat. there's ah lot of jealousy existing between local based and xpats there in the caribbean.

some xpats like tuh go on like they in disneyland when they return to their native banana republics, instead of flying under the radar. when i go to T&T i does put meh tail between meh leg and walk softly, bc i know these jealous monkeys wouldn't think twice tuh out my lights.

whenever i encounter police in the caribbean for what ever reason, i does start acting stupid and talking like ah yankee forthwith! is pure yes sir, no sir, like i in dee army. me!! i eh giving dem jealous bobtails monkey no opportunities to have they way wid me.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
some xpats like tuh go on like they in disneyland when they return to their native banana republics, instead of flying under the radar. when i go to T&T i does put meh tail between meh leg and walk softly, bc i know these jealous monkeys wouldn't think twice tuh out my lights.

whenever i encounter police in the caribbean for what ever reason, i does start acting stupid and talking like ah yankee forthwith! is pure yes sir, no sir, like i in dee army. me!! i eh giving dem jealous bobtails monkey no opportunities to have they way wid me.

That is always the case...being an xpat not easy...
yuh always a foreigner home and abroad.

whey boy!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »

Never experienced that. When I .go home is always ah cool scene. Men glad to see yuh. Maybe where I from
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »

Never experienced that. When I .go home is always ah cool scene. Men glad to see yuh. Maybe where I from

yeah padnahs and family always cool. Thought he was referring to people you don't know.
Females always friendly though... :D
whey boy!

1]; } ?>