April 25, 2024, 08:22:56 PM

Author Topic: Bolton defender Samuel likely to join Esteghlal  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolton defender Samuel likely to join Esteghlal
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Bolton defender Samuel likely to join Esteghlal
Tehran Times

Bolton defender Jlloyd Samuel, who currently plays in Cardiff City on loan, is set to join Esteghlal football team.

The 31-year-old player is expected to join the Tehran-based team until the end of the season.

The Trinidad and Tobago international defender, who has made 83 appearances for Bolton since signing in 2007, has played at Aston Villa from 1998 to 2007 as well. 

Jacques Aurelien Elong Elong joined Esteghlal on a six-month contract for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old Cameroonian midfielder has already played in the Iranian giants Persepolis and Sepahan.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton defender Samuel likely to join Esteghlal
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
ah guess we oil dollars cyah compte with dem oil dollars  :D

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
This is not a rumour, this is true.........but he has not signed as yet.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »
He has signed a 5 month deal.........i wish him well.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
He has signed a 5 month deal.........i wish him well.

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jlloyd Samuel joins Esteghlal
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
Jlloyd Samuel joins Esteghlal
Tehran Times

Former Bolton defender Jlloyd Samuel joined Esteghlal football team on Thursday.

The 31-year-old player joined the Iranian giant until the end of the season for an undisclosed fee. 

The Trinidad and Tobago international defender, who has made 83 appearances for Bolton since signing in 2007, has played at Aston Villa from 1998 to 2007 as well. 

Jlloyd Samuel will be reunited with his former Bolton teammate Andranik Teymourian in Esteghlal.

He has been awarded No. 12 in the Iranian favorite team.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
His team drew 1-1 today (and missed a penalty) but Samuel did not play.  They are currently top of the league.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »
His team drew 1-1 today (and missed a penalty) but Samuel did not play.  They are currently top of the league.
Sorry I have not been following this story fully, but is this team based in Iran? If so, that would be the last place anybody should  want to be right now, considering the possibility of a war in the near future.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
Football is a hustle..!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:11:08 AM »
Football is a hustle..!!!

All i can say i that it was a "crazy offer"

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »
If the money right and he's comfortable there then go for it. They have a 100,000 capacity stadium. That atmosphere must be crazy when filled to capacity. I hope him being there would give us a foot in that region. Would be nice to have working relationships with scouts and what not from that region. Could only benefit our ballers.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:40:30 AM »
Sorry I have not been following this story fully, but is this team based in Iran? If so, that would be the last place anybody should  want to be right now, considering the possibility of a war in the near future.

In the meantime, in between time and time ... play ball!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Samuel makes Iran move
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »
Samuel makes Iran move
Sky Sports

Jlloyd Samuel has made a shock move to Iranian side Esteghlal, signing a five-month deal.

The defender had been a free agent after leaving Bolton and failing to impress on trials with Leeds United and West Ham.

The 30-year-old has not played in a competitive game since Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Reading in the Championship play-off semi-final second leg.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HD, Samuel explained how the surprise move came about: "It was through a friend who had the contact, I had a look at it and it seemed to add up for myself.

"Obviously it's a new challenge, something out of the ordinary but I'm willing to take that chance.

"They are one of the biggest clubs in Iran, they have 100,000 people watching their derby games and the fans here are unbelievable really."

Familiar Face

He will be reunited with former Bolton team-mate Andranik Teymourian who joined Esteghlal in July.

And Samuel says the midfielder has told him a lot about football in Iran.

"When I was at Bolton Andranik talked about it quite a bit and he's playing here now but he's injured at the minute," said Samuel.

Having had a loan spell last season with Cardiff and trials with Leeds and West Ham there was still interest in Samuel from clubs in England, but the lure of the Asian Champions League proved to be a major draw.

He added: "I did have options to stay in England, and I had offers from quite a few teams abroad but for me this is a new challenge and a chance to enter the Asian market.

"This team plays in the Champions League here."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »
Samuel makes Iran move
Sky Sports

Jlloyd Samuel has made a shock move to Iranian side Esteghlal, signing a five-month deal.

The defender had been a free agent after leaving Bolton and failing to impress on trials with Leeds United and West Ham.

The 30-year-old has not played in a competitive game since Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Reading in the Championship play-off semi-final second leg.

That's all you need to really know... man must play and bills must pay.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
Jlloyd made his debut today, played the full match minutes and got booked in a 1-0 win.

Picture from training

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
Make yuh paper killa!!!

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Paper making, but sad to say a fall from grace. Should have been still good enough to hold a regular position in a Championship team...

A man say this move can only help our ballers, Jloyd will never play for T&T again.

Was pure class when I saw him play in the stadium a few years ago...

Hope he could stay in the middle east and make the dollars for the next few years.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
Paper making, but sad to say a fall from grace. Should have been still good enough to hold a regular position in a Championship team...

A man say this move can only help our ballers, Jloyd will never play for T&T again.

Hope he could stay in the middle east and make the dollars for the next few years.

How is a five-month contract a "fall from grace"?  I suppose it woulda been better he stayed at home and siddung doing nothing for those 5 months rather than play competitive football?

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

How is a five-month contract a "fall from grace"?  I suppose it woulda been better he stayed at home and siddung doing nothing for those 5 months rather than play competitive football?

Nah it woulda been better to take shit $ fuh about de same length of time and play in the championship ah guess

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
Fall from grace in a football sense.
When last I check, all the major leagues of Europe in the middle of their season, all divisions.

At the end of the day, top division in Iran aint better than about England 1st division (3rd tier), plus it does nothing for his long term aspirations (sure he still have 3-4 years play left in him) as nobody seeing him. This like some of our players moving to India/Vietnam - might get some more money but is it good for your career in the long run?

His loan deal gonna end when european leagues finishing, so he will hadda fight up in off-season when all clubs jockeying for new players, so even harder.
I cant help but think he thinking mid east money for the rest of his career now.
That all fine and good from an economic standpoint, but his football pedigree career is now over, just like Anelka now.
The hard thruth is he was once one of the best wingbacks in the Premierships, but now no longer, barely Championship caliber now. If he was, this mid east thing would have had to wait a few more years to attract him. Somewhere in his mind he had a reality check that he is 31 years old and playing championship ball consistently may be a bit beyond him now...

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
He played the full match......the crowd was chanting his name.......he played in midfield.

Trini, u said it is a fall from grace, but u have to remember that he has about 3-4 of football again in him.  He was getting offers in the Championship but he has always said that he will only sign for a club that pays him his worth.  He was very close to West Ham but the length of the deal was an issue.

He turned down many mediocre deals because he has to take care of his family and he wanted to secure his future.

He has gotten a fantastic financial offer in Iran, with living quarters as well a paid four day trip to England every month.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Check out toward the end of the picks the crowds at the Iranian matches.
Impressive. I think is a good move. Plus it short term.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=103091&page=110

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:41:28 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Esteghlal down Zob Ahan in Champions League playoff
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
Esteghlal down Zob Ahan in Champions League playoff
soccerway.com

Esteghlal have won their all-Iranian AFC Champions League playoff tie against Zob Ahan 2-0 at the Azadi Stadium in Tehran.

Esteghlal went ahead through Khosro Heydari on 24 minutes despite being without key midfield duo Andranik Teymourian and Mojtaba Jabbari.

Top goalscorer Jabbari was sidelined with a knee complaint but on-loan Cardiff defender Jlloyd Samuel came into the starting XI and the home side were in total command.

Arash Borhani doubled Esteghlal's lead in the 67th minute and sealed their passage through to the second round of the playoffs where they will meet Saudi Arabian side Al Ettifaq.

Zob Ahan were seeking a third consecutive appearance in the competition after making the quarter-finals last year and finishing runners-up in 2010.

Esteghlal now face Al Ettifaq for a place in Group A alongside Qatar's Al Rayyan, Al Jazira of the United Arab Emirates and 2011 AFC Cup winners Nasaf from Uzbekistan.

1]; } ?>