April 23, 2024, 01:55:12 AM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early  (Read 20061 times)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
leh we celebrate the boy success nah, after all we use to celebrate he fadder success also. It will be easier to support DC United this year with a trini on it.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
Allyuh CANNOT blame de yute.......what does T&T football have to offer him??? nuttin but ah bag ah crix and some mauby and sweet bread???
Again we have neither the leadership or the coaches who would draw these players to TnT.
I glad, bc when i watching T&T mens national team , i want tuh see born and bred trinis playing for us, not no foreign born and bred players.

quite frankly, i think we have better talent right there in T&T and pfister showed that when he chose players like phillips and williams over tony warner, hughton hector, jaggy and molino over jake thompson and andre bocaurd, i was also happy that zamora decided not to play for us, i want tuh see born and bred talent repping us, and if they fall short, then that's OK, after all, there's no shame in losing, the only shame comes from not giving it your all.

i guess you don't want your kids or any family member who live abroad play for tnt if they were could also rite ?

Doh bother with JC! He living in cloud coocoo land where T&T football is concerned!
How yuh always riding me so bredder like if i eat yuh white fowl? i express that i like born and bred trini players and would prefer to see them rep the country, i'm not the first tuh say that, but yuh want tuh jump on my words as long as it doh sit right with you.

big mag used tuh say the same thing when he would malign the jkans by saying "send more brits" and no one said ah word, but when i say it allyuh frowning, wham yuh think iza ah yes man or what?  i speak meh mind, who eh like what i say could go suck out!!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:08:53 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »
Allyuh CANNOT blame de yute.......what does T&T football have to offer him??? nuttin but ah bag ah crix and some mauby and sweet bread???
Again we have neither the leadership or the coaches who would draw these players to TnT.
I glad, bc when i watching T&T mens national team , i want tuh see born and bred trinis playing for us, not no foreign born and bred players.

quite frankly, i think we have better talent right there in T&T and pfister showed that when he chose players like phillips and williams over tony warner, hughton hector, jaggy and molino over jake thompson and andre bocaurd, i was also happy that zamora decided not to play for us, i want tuh see born and bred talent repping us, and if they fall short, then that's OK, after all, there's no shame in losing, the only shame comes from not giving it your all.

i guess you don't want your kids or any family member who live abroad play for tnt if they were could also rite ?
All i'm saying iz that i like local talent, when yuh look @ england, spain, germany or brazil, they love to showcase their culture with home grown players, now and then you may see one or maybe two players playing for one of these countries who wasn't raised there, but not half the team.

if one of my nephews wants to rep T&T i would not discourage them, but i would rather they play for the country of their birth.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
good luck kid..play de "soccer"...

yuh fadder is ah  legend...  when your decision time comes... think it out...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Eldo man

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 04:13:11 AM »
Just give de Youth ah White TRINI thing from Down in de west and he go play for we  :laugh:

I wish de man all de best no matter where he play.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nick DeLeon joins D.C. United with lofty goals & expectations
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
Nick DeLeon joins D.C. United with lofty goals & expectations
By Martin Shatzer (blackandredunited.com)

Nick DeLeon is an ambitious dude.

I reached D.C. United’s first round pick (seventh overall) at his hotel this afternoon after the team finished up its first official day of the 2012 MLS preseason, and he was forthcoming about his goals for the future. "I want to eventually play for the national team, play in a couple World Cups," DeLeon told me on the phone. But he knows that he has plenty of work to do. And that work started today.

DeLeon is joining a D.C. United team that finished just short of the MLS playoffs last season, but that still finds itself caught in the middle of a rebuilding process with youth all over the roster. And in the coaching staff too. When I asked DeLeon for his impression of Ben Olsen and the rest of the coaching staff so far, he responded initially with just a single word: "Young." The 21-year old attacking midfielder recognizes the value in playing for a coach who can easily relate to his players. "They’re fun to be around," he added.

DeLeon scored 14 goals and nine assists in his two years at the University of Louisville, helping lead the Cardinals to an appearance in the College Cup Final in 2010, and the Quarterfinals in 2011. He brings a winning mentality to the field, and comes to D.C. with the reputation of being a "gamer."

DeLeon played almost exclusively as an outside midfielder for Louisville, and apparently we should expect that to continue this season for United. I asked DeLeon about his preferred position and he suggested that he would "probably fit in as a winger." With the news coming out last week from the Washington Post that Chris Pontius, United’s starting left midfielder, won’t be ready to participate in training until Mar. 1 as he continues to recover from a fractured right tibia suffered in September, DeLeon may even have to start immediately for D.C. The confidence that he conveys seems to hint that DeLeon will be up to the task.

Playing for the national team isn’t DeLeon’s only goal for the future though. The rookie has another lofty goal that might even land him with a spot on the prestigious D.C. United All-Time Best Hair Best 11. "I’ve always dreamt about being able to put my hair back in a ponytail," he said. DeLeon told me that he’s been growing out his hair for over a year, and it’s currently the longest it’s ever been.

Yep. He’ll fit right in.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
This guy talking like he reach already. School football and pro club is two different leagues, ask Rahim and Lewis.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
Sam that is the difference with US and TT. This yuteman speaking with confidence. He eh bragging. TT use to come down on Ato for projecting confidence.  Projecting confidence does not mean yuh "gallerying"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
A few minutes with D.C. United’s first-round draft pick, Louisville midfielder Nick DeLeon
By Steven Goff (Washington Post)

Louisville midfielder Nick DeLeon, D.C. United’s first-round draft pick, arrived this week in Washington – the city where his father Leroy DeLeon, a striker, toiled for the NASL’s Darts (1970-71) and Diplomats (1974-77).

The elder DeLeon, a native of Trinidad & Tobago, was among the first wave of international players to reach American shores when the NASL launched in 1967. He played 16 years in U.S. leagues, the final four with the MISL’s Phoenix Inferno. His best outdoor season was in 1970 with 15 goals in 20 matches for the Darts. With the Dips, he posted 18 goals and 11 assists in 50 games.

Nick, 21, was born in Arizona, seven years after his father’s career ended. I caught up with the DCU prospect at RFK Stadium on Thursday afternoon:

Did you have any inclination that United was going to draft you?

“I had no idea. I talked to the coaches at the [MLS] combine, but I didn’t get the impression they were going to select me.”

So you came straight here from Louisville after attending the draft in Kansas City?

“I had my stuff packed already. I knew I was going to go somewhere right away for training camp. It was just a matter of where. Nine-hour drive by myself.”

How was the ride?

“Not bad. I was fine, and then I got to D.C. on Saturday night and it went down the tubes. The streets are too confusing. I couldn’t see the signs. I was just driving circles in D.C.”

Did you graduate early from Louisville?

“I have 30 hours left. I’m a sports administration major. I want to pick them up slowly and take some online classes, but right now this is my priority.”

Did you have overseas options?

“I wanted to be in MLS for the first few years, develop my professionalism and then eventually I want to go overseas.”

You are a versatile attacking player, but do you have a best position?

“I’d say outside on the left in midfield. I just like it because when you cut inside, since I’m right-footed, I can bang on the ball all day.”

What do you think you bring to D.C. United?

“I love to get forward and I bring my hard work to the game – working behind the ball, working when you don’t have the ball, working when you have it. Hard work is something Ben [Olsen] preached when I met him at the combine.”

You injured a quadriceps at the combine. How’s it coming along?

“I’m not really feeling it now, so it’s on its way, for sure. Probably another week and I will go full.”

As you probably know, your father played here at RFK Stadium …..

“He played in here? I didn’t know that. This is where the Diplomats played?”

Indeed.

“Wow, that’s crazy. I didn’t even know this building was that old.”

It was built in 1897. That’s a joke. Sort of. How close are you with your dad?

“I keep up with him every now and then. My parents separated my freshman year in high school. My dad remained in Arizona for a few years, but after that, he returned to Trinidad and he’s still there. He’s coaching youth clubs.”

Have you drawn from your father’s past experiences to better prepare yourself for the next level?

“I have his genes, so soccer is in me. He has talked to me about the distractions [off the field] that come about when you become a pro, what it can bring. He went through the same thing – I didn’t ask for details -- and he was telling me he went the wrong way as far as decisions. He has harped on me to just focus, focus, focus on soccer right now because it can take you places.”

What does your mom do?

“She works at PING, the golf company, for like 20 years at their corporate headquarters. [She’s a supervisor.] My dad became a golfer, every weekend. I tried but it’s hard. … She was born and raised in Arizona, just like me. My parents met when my dad was playing indoors there.”

With your Trinidad roots, have you ever visited there?

“I haven’t. My sister has gone, my mom has gone. I’m trying to.”

You are eligible to play for T&T, right?

“Yes. I’m working on it. Getting a passport anyway, just so I have that option available.”

Has the T&T federation reached out to you?

“My agent has talked to them a little bit but we have nothing concrete.”
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:35:28 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »

Huh!!!???!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »

Huh!!!???!!!

His agent is a politican, I hope he knows that.....  ;D
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
At least it sounds like he's weighing his options and that's the smart thing to do right now.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »

Huh!!!???!!!

His agent is a politican, I hope he knows that.....  ;D

Flex, tell Angus to bring him on the U-23 squad and include in the Olimpic qualifyiers.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 11:40:23 PM »
nice read kid...dilly ..well done
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 04:18:45 AM »
Deeks, I did.... Nick has been invited, I dont know if Nick knowns, but his agent is a clown, maybe he is looking for money. ?

If anyone has Nick direct contact, please PM me...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:36:49 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O6K4qXaDnIM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/O6K4qXaDnIM</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O6K4qXaDnIM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/O6K4qXaDnIM</a>

So, his trini connection is a father who he wished spent more time with him on his football
Hart for president

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »

After seeing this video, I feeling really bad.

Good luck to this kid. Now I understand why you not feeling close to T&T...

Sorry to hear Leroy was a f00cking dead beat Dad.....

Its hard growing up without a Dad, even if his wife and him was not together, Leroy should have made it his business to be close with his son/kids.

Ah hope he change his mind and play for T&T though, he seems like ah decent player.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:09:54 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago want Nick DeLeon for Olympic Qualifying.
By benuski.

If the sign of a good team is how many of its players are called for their national teams, then D.C. United is going to be a very good team. Obviously Dwyane DeRosario, Hamdi Salihi, Branko Boskovic, Dejan Jakovic, all play for their nationals teams, and if Chris Pontius can get back on his late season form, a callup would not be far off for him either.

In addition, Perry Kitchen, Bill Hamid, and Andy Najar figure to suit up for their countries' Olympic qualifying efforts later this month. And if reports out of Trinidad and Tobago are true, the Soca Warriors want Nick DeLeon as a part of their Olympic qualifying team.

DeLeon's father, Leroy, is a former professional soccer player (including with the Washington Diplomats) and a former member of the Soca Warriors; in 2008, he was inducted into the Trinidad and Tobago Sports Hall of Fame. According to another article, Nick has already been contacted and is willing to play for Trinidad and Tobago, but is waiting on D.C. United to give permission.

If this is true, this would make a fourth player for United that would be out for Olympic qualifiers. However, unlike Andy Najar, Bill Hamid, and Perry Kitchen, DeLeon is not likely to make it out of the group stages. Trinidad and Tobago are in Group B, playing against Mexico, Honduras, and Panama, which makes it extremely likely that one (or both) of him and Najar will only miss the game against the Vancouver Whitecaps.

As I've said in the past, I don't think that you can let some players go for Olympic qualifying without letting all of them go, unless it creates an extreme hardship for the team. Having a second winger out is pushing it, but I would still be fine with letting DeLeon go, if he gets the call.

What do you all think?

The newest member of the Soca Warriors?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »
this is what does rile me bout dem american writers never see the play yet casting judgment ....then you have men like Eve who will read that as a coach and won't take it to heart...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »

Talent ain't everything.  Our locals are spoiled, have inflated egos, and are made to believe that they have made it to the pinnacle of the sport.  They bring poor work ethic to the national team, as a consequence of the poor approach to the game at the club level.  The foreign based bring a bit more of a professional attitude and work ethic to the team.  Truth is truth.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
Tenorsaw, I agree with you 100%.

And this goes for the coaching to (IE: Angus Eve).

Locals have egos and they are not thinking about the team but as individuals.

They want to get a big pay check and dont want to work hard for it.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:yu right they in court fighting for their pay check right now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:04:03 PM by Coop's »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:yu right they in court fighting for their pay check right now.

Daiz because they are greedy, tiefing, selfish people Coop's. Them fellas should just play for ah $2 and ah pack ah nuts. Yuh eh see how JW living simple and he have T&T football on top. Why should player want anything more.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

Talent ain't everything.  Our locals are spoiled, have inflated egos, and are made to believe that they have made it to the pinnacle of the sport.  They bring poor work ethic to the national team, as a consequence of the poor approach to the game at the club level.  The foreign based bring a bit more of a professional attitude and work ethic to the team.  Truth is truth.

Had the opportunity to sit with the scout who brought Suarez to Holland (Gronigen). He has been to T&T scouting and in his words "Far to many of players want the rewards of professional football, but are not willing to sacrifice & work for it."
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »

You are right coops, and who got them to Germany ?

Dont be small minded, no one saying they should play for free, but they have to make it first then talk money as the case with the 06 Warriors. With the locals, they want big money first, hence the reason they want to strike.

They, the under 23 haven't qualified for any official fifa tournament yet. You cant get 5 from St Kitts and want a thousand dollars....

Work, then get pay, not the other way around !!!! money will come.... lets make it to the Olympic first.

The locals also, do not bring a desire to play for T&T. They go to a game in LA, fail and come back to T&T with their heads swell like they reach....

Hope you get it now ?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:11:47 PM by Sando »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
So what are you saying,they should not be given some sort of compensation unless they qualify for the Olympics?are all these guys employed?how they taking acre of themselves? i'm sure some of them have family/children to take care off,from what i'm seeing with the preparation for the Olympic qualifiers these guys are always in some Camp,friendly games at home and abroad,their employers really like Football to have employees away from their jobs on a regular basis like that,you saying they should not get a salary.

You must tell the 06 Worriors to relax money will come and hear what they will say.This head swell thing is a national thing,both foreign and local players even Coaches does get on and act the same way,as a player they will always feel they reach because they have never been there before,to them it's an achievement so i understand the feeling,did we win the WC look at how we celebrated and those guys was on cloud nine.You watching the 73 and 89 national teams and even after that and saying locals don't bring a desire to play for T&T,if they didn't have any desire you think they would get contracts abroad?always remember everything started at home with local Coaches.

You can't blame the U23's for wanting to strike etc etc because of what's going on with Football in the country today,you eh hear what Sancho and them say they want to make sure future teams don't have to go through what they are going through,a precident is being set so expect more of that in the future.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:57:03 AM by Coop's »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
Coops, I think you need a translator or help.

Who saying they should play for free ? and who saying they should be taken advantage off ? they deserve to get paid but how much do they really want is the question. Different level, different pay.

Get help nah coops, you should retire from posting as it obvious your literacy is very low.

And who is talking about the 73 team ? to much money now has changed the game for the worst. The 73 team members each got $500 US and a gold watch from the Haitian government.

And not because Jack Warner took advantage of you and you ran from Trinidad to live in the US now you feel everbody should do the same. Jack made over $200 million on the backs of the 06 Warriors, why not take care of them, if T&T hadn't qualified would he have made this much ?

But I understand some of your points though. In other words, the locals are come see, never see then ?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:15:13 AM by Sando »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »
Coops, I think you need a translator or help.

Who saying they should play for free ? and who saying they should be taken advantage off ? they deserve to get paid but how much do they really want is the question. Different level, different pay.

Get help nah coops, you should retire from posting as it obvious your literacy is very low.

And who is talking about the 73 team ? to much money now has changed the game for the worst. The 73 team members each got $500 US and a gold watch from the Haitian government.

And not because Jack Warner took advantage of you and you ran from Trinidad to live in the US now you feel everbody should do the same. Jack made over $200 million on the backs of the 06 Warriors, why not take care of them, if T&T hadn't qualified would he have made this much ?

But I understand some of your points though. In other words, the locals are come see, never see then ?

:rotfl:you getting personal boy,i realize you can't take old talk but you like to give,please yourself Breds.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »
Sorry coops, I went overboard, just wanted you to understand my take on this.

We cool.

1]; } ?>