March 28, 2024, 08:37:03 AM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early  (Read 19901 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »
Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early
uoflsports.com

December 29, 2011

Major League Soccer and adidas today announced the signing of Louisville midfielder Nick DeLeon. DeLeon is one of four seniors signed by the MLS that will enter the professional ranks for the 2012 Major League Soccer season. Also signing along with DeLeon are Tony Cascio (University of Connecticut), Luis Silva (University of California, Santa Barbara), and Casey Townsend (University of Maryland).

"I couldn't be happier about being selected as one of the players to sign early with the MLS," said DeLeon. "It has been a lifelong dream of mine to play professional soccer and I am looking forward to the opportunity. I am excited and look forward to making an impact at the professional level."

DeLeon earns All-Great Lakes Region honors for the second straight year. He has started in every game since joining Louisville two years ago. This season he ranked second on the team in scoring with six goals and six assists for 18 points. He was named a first team All-BIG EAST selection for the second straight year. He was also the only Cardinal selected to BIG EAST All-Tournament team. He led the team this season with 76 shots on the year. He finished the year with two game-winners, including the game-winner in overtime against Bradley in the NCAA Tournament. DeLeon finished his two year career at Louisville with 14 goals and nine assists for 37 points.

"Nick has exhibited that he is one of the best players in college soccer," said head coach Ken Lolla. "We look forward to watching his success in the MLS."

DeLeon will be among about 65 top pro prospects that will showcase their talents at the adidas MLS Player Combine Jan. 6-10 at Central Broward Regional Park in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Combine matches will be closed to the public but fans can watch the matches live on MLSsoccer.com.

The 2012 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas will take place at the Kansas City Convention Center on Thursday, Jan. 12 at 12 p.m. ET and will be broadcast live on ESPN2, TSN2, and RDS2.

The complete rosters and coaching staffs for the adidas MLS Player Combine will be announced at a later date.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:59 PM »
Congratulations to the player and his family.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Nick has been selected by DC United as the 7th pick of the 2012 MLS SuperDraft.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
I noticed that and I wish him all the best :applause: The thing is will be be willing to play for T&T or does he have his eyes set on trying to make the US roster.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
I noticed that and I wish him all the best :applause: The thing is will be be willing to play for T&T or does he have his eyes set on trying to make the US roster.

Hmm dais like tryin to choose between free drinks in 51 or yuh face on a wheaties box.......sadis done have a coby jones blowout, he going for the box
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
I was wondering what the whole "signs early with MLS" thing meant... how if affected the draft.  I guess it just guarantees for MLS that the player will play in the league, as opposed to going overseas.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
I was wondering what the whole "signs early with MLS" thing meant... how if affected the draft.  I guess it just guarantees for MLS that the player will play in the league, as opposed to going overseas.

The only thing I noticed was that he didn't have to participate in de Combine.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »
12 -  Aaron Maund to TFC
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »

The only thing I noticed was that he didn't have to participate in de Combine.

He is signed to the league, therefore the league own his rights. He can choose to play abroad in Europe or elsewhere but the MLS would retain his rights for however long they contracted for. In the MLS, you 'sign' with the league first and foremost, before you are contracted to a team.

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »
DeLeon on joining D.C.

<a href="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/839851/839851_2012-01-12-124551.640hq.mp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/839851/839851_2012-01-12-124551.640hq.mp4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
He is signed to the league, therefore the league own his rights. He can choose to play abroad in Europe or elsewhere but the MLS would retain his rights for however long they contracted for. In the MLS, you 'sign' with the league first and foremost, before you are contracted to a team.

No, that is not the case.  Hasn't been the case for many years.  The league does indeed own his rights, but his circumstances are different from other players.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »
that boy is not looking to play for trinidad. based on his vibes guys.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »

Hmm dais like tryin to choose between free drinks in 51 or yuh face on a wheaties box.......sadis done have a coby jones blowout, he going for the box

Good comparison and I can't blame him for choosing the wheaties...you think if we can get face on a KFC box he might change his mind?

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
Kevan George went to columbus..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DeLeon can't wait to play alongside idol at DC
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
DeLeon can't wait to play alongside idol at DC
By Travis Clark (MLSsoccer.com)

Looking to add players anywhere on the field, D.C. United could have made a number of different moves during Thursday's 2012 MLS SuperDraft in Kansas City.

As it turned out, they only made one. With the seventh overall pick, DC elected to select Nick DeLeon, an attacking midfielder from the University of Louisville who has already signed with MLS.

“We’re very excited,” assistant coach Chad Ashton told MLSsoccer.com. “He’s an outstanding player, a real attacking-oriented player. Strong, powerful, he’s been on a very successful college team, and he’s had a lot to do with that.”

DeLeon joins D.C. after two standout seasons with the Cardinals, during which he scored 14 goals and added nine assists. In 2010, he was part of Louisville’s run to the NCAA championship game, where they lost to Akron in the final.

The Arizona native was delighted to join MLS with United.

“I’m honored,” DeLeon told MLSsoccer.com. “They’re a great club with a rich history. I’m just excited to be a part of the future of DC.”

DeLeon offers more depth on either wing, an added bonus because of uncertainty surrounding the recovery of Chris Pontius’ leg fracture at the end of last season. The team scouted DeLeon closely over the past two seasons and came away impressed by his offensive talents.

“He’s a guy who can really affect the attack,” Ashton said. “He can break a guy down on the dribble, he can get behind with runs. [He] runs well off the ball, he’s a good finisher and can set guys up.”

As of right now, the coaching staff pictures him playing on either wing, but they aim to give him opportunities to play in other attacking areas.

“He can play on either side. He’s versatile in that sense,” Ashton said. “We’ll have to see in regards to the other positions, but for the most part we’ve only seen him wide and he’s done very well there. We feel like he’s a guy who can slide in and is ready right now.”

Sweetening the deal for DeLeon is the fact he is joining a player he admires in Dwayne De Rosario.

“He’s a player I look at in MLS, a player I want to play like,” DeLeon said. “Honestly, to be playing with him now is unbelievable.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »

You might be correct, I manage to get him a trial with the T&T team, but to date he is not talking to anyone and his agent is a waste of time, aparently, Nick is keeping his options open, which is find, but at least he could be frank about it, no need to keep passing on everthing to an agent its not like T&T is some big club knocking on the door.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »

You might be correct, I manage to get him a trial with the T&T team, but to date he is not talking to anyone and his agent is a waste of time, aparently, Nick is keeping his options open, which is find, but at least he could be frank about it, no need to keep passing on everthing to an agent its not like T&T is some big club knocking on the door.

Ask him these questions!

When last have you been to Trinidad to see/visit family there?

Do you go to any of the Carnivals in the USA?

Do you listen to soca?

Where is your girlfriend from and does she have any of the above interest?

If he can't give a positive answer to any of those questions then its most likely that he feels more American than Trini and prefers to play for the USA given the choice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:35:09 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
12 -  Aaron Maund to TFC

Wait.

Traitor FC pick him up ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »

F00ck him...... either yes or no, but stop de bullshitting around....

Nick might be a good player, but he head so far up he ass, its a shame.

Yes or no pardna......

Agent !!!... steups.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
that boy is not looking to play for trinidad. based on his vibes accent guys.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
Allyuh CANNOT blame de yute.......what does T&T football have to offer him??? nuttin but ah bag ah crix and some mauby and sweet bread???
Again we have neither the leadership or the coaches who would draw these players to TnT.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »
that boy is not looking to play for trinidad. based on his vibes accent what he supposedly told his cousin guys.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to say.  I was talking to Nick last night, and his first choice is the U.S. National Team.  He could play for anyone really, and as soon as he puts the finishing touches on his footwork, and his mind.  No one on a futobol/soccer field will be able to beat him.  He could easily be that face that gets the U.S. involved and interested in soccer.  He is skilled, quick, thinks quick, physical, loves the game, and he is good looken.  He is not just quick, he faster with the ball then most men trying to run without the ball.  Everyone loves him.  So you will get to watch him on the world stage, no worries.

He did tell me, however, that T & T is a great secondary choice just because of his father and the history of it.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
Ask him these questions!

When last have you been to Trinidad to see/visit family there?

Do you go to any of the Carnivals in the USA?

Do you listen to soca?

Where is your girlfriend from and does she have any of the above interest?

If he can't give a positive answer to any of those questions then its most likely that he feels more American than Trini and prefers to play for the USA given the choice.

How would Birchall have answered these questions?  Frankly if I was in these fellas shoes I wouldn't touch the TTFF with a ten-foot pole... especially if I could do better.  Flex put it right though, he should be forthright about what he wants to do, but it is entirely possible that even he ent quite figure that part out yet.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Allyuh CANNOT blame de yute.......what does T&T football have to offer him??? nuttin but ah bag ah crix and some mauby and sweet bread???
Again we have neither the leadership or the coaches who would draw these players to TnT.
I glad, bc when i watching T&T mens national team , i want tuh see born and bred trinis playing for us, not no foreign born and bred players.

quite frankly, i think we have better talent right there in T&T and pfister showed that when he chose players like phillips and williams over tony warner, hughton hector, jaggy and molino over jake thompson and andre bocaurd, i was also happy that zamora decided not to play for us, i want tuh see born and bred talent repping us, and if they fall short, then that's OK, after all, there's no shame in losing, the only shame comes from not giving it your all.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
Will be supporting him, trini blood no mater who he reps.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
I glad, bc when i watching T&T mens national team , i want tuh see born and bred trinis playing for us, not no foreign born and bred players.

quite frankly, i think we have better talent right there in T&T and pfister showed that when he chose players like phillips and williams over tony warner, hughton hector, jaggy and molino over jake thompson and andre bocaurd, i was also happy that zamora decided not to play for us, i want tuh see born and bred talent repping us, and if they fall short, then that's OK, after all, there's no shame in losing, the only shame comes from not giving it your all.
unless he was as good as his Dad ,then i woulda been vex .anyway am more excited to see if flex next invitee Mike pans out .

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »

i guess you don't want your kids or any family member who live abroad play for tnt if they were could also rite ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »

i guess you don't want your kids or any family member who live abroad play for tnt if they were could also rite ?

Doh bother with JC! He living in cloud coocoo land where T&T football is concerned!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
Come on fellas. Stop the bull with foreign/local players. How come we don't say the same thing as pertain to the women's team. Hello, his sister currently plays for one of our yute team and would probably play for the national team in the future. Like Bakes say, the yute  still young and on the bubble. He eh quite sure which way he going. I feel he leaning stars and stripes, but who knows somebody fromMoruga might be working Obeah for him to lean RWB. Which ever way he goes I with him. If the TTFF house was in order I am almost sure he father would have encourage him to play TT. Dilly has had  too many negative dealing with the organization in the past. Now it is total chaos and you expect the father to encourage him to deal with jack henchmen. Dilly is an icon in TT and I know all ah we want to see the young green mango replant the seed in TT. I have seen him play in spurts. He is good. I can see traits of his father in some of his plays.  The only thing in we favour is that the US now have abundant talent, so he may not be on the top of the totem pole. But if he lights up the MLS, bet your life the US coaches will call him. Also, the USSF knows the Deleon legacy. Senior Dilly was once NASL player of the year.

1]; } ?>