March 28, 2024, 02:15:52 PM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early  (Read 19906 times)

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NIck DeLeon goal
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:26 AM »
<a href="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/908925/mls_2012-03-18-212325.640hq.mp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/908925/mls_2012-03-18-212325.640hq.mp4</a>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:30:06 AM by Tallman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
<a href="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/908925/mls_2012-03-18-212325.640hq.mp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/908925/mls_2012-03-18-212325.640hq.mp4</a>

.... hope he does play for us one day ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »
nice, Nice!!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nick DeLeon’s MLS debut for D.C. United a good first impression
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 07:37:28 PM »
Nick DeLeon’s MLS debut for D.C. United a good first impression
By Thomas Floyd (The Washington Times)

If nothing else, D.C. United rookie Nick DeLeon knows how to make a first impression.

Making his professional debut Sunday in United’s 3-1 loss at the Los Angeles Galaxy, the midfielder entered as a 74th-minute substitute for Chris Pontius on the left flank. Thirteen minutes later, he made a diagonal run behind the Galaxy defense, latching onto Marcelo Saragosa’s through ball before curling a shot off the far post and into the back of the net.

While the late goal was trivial in the context of a match that already had been decided, the tally did end a frustrating scoreless drought for United (0-2-0) to start the season. And it showed a peek of what the club has in DeLeon, a first-round pick out of Louisville in January’s MLS SuperDraft.

“He’s acclimated very well so far,” coach Ben Olsen said. “Obviously, the last game was his first taste, and he passed with flying colors. He gave just what we want from our subs: energy. And he ends up getting a very good goal out of it.”

It was a welcome response from DeLeon after the 21-year-old failed to make the 18-man game day roster for United’s season opener against Sporting Kansas City a week earlier. With Pontius and 2010 Rookie of the Year Andy Najar established on the wings, and former Houston Dynamo midfielder Danny Cruz also competing for minutes out wide, DeLeon was the odd man out for that contest.

“I was upset,” DeLeon acknowledged. “But there’s not much you can do except just go back to work in practice and push yourself even harder to prove to the coach that you deserve to be out there. All in all, it turned out to be a good move because it motivated me.”

With Najar now joining the Honduras under-23 national team for the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament, which starts Thursday in Nashville, Tenn., and concludes April 2 in Kansas City, Kan., a door has opened for DeLeon to earn more minutes in the coming weeks, starting with United’s match Saturday at the Vancouver Whitecaps (2-0-0).

While DeLeon prefers to play on the left side so he can cut in toward goal with his natural right foot, he said he would have no qualms about stepping in for Najar on the right if asked to do so, adding, “I’d fill in at any position the coach would put me in. I just want playing time.”

Although DeLeon still is raw in Olsen’s eyes, the second-year coach sees plenty of potential in the Arizona native, whose preseason progress was slowed by a quadriceps strain suffered at the MLS combine.

“He’s got a ways to go, but we’re very excited,” Olsen said. “He’s got very good soccer instincts. He’s a guy who’s pretty fearless. There are not too many weak spots in his game other than that he just needs to play and get minutes and acclimate to all the things the pro level brings. It’s faster - faster players, faster speed of thought and faster speed of play.”

It’s a sentiment shared by DeLeon, who notes he still tends to take one touch too many, thinking he has more time to operate on the ball than he really does.

But considering that DeLeon has all of 16 professional minutes under his belt, he realizes he has plenty of time to adjust.

“I still have a lot of work to do,” DeLeon said. “But I feel like I’m moving in the right direction.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Anyone actually know if he's going to play for Trinidad or if he's decided to try for the United States? because I heard that Klinnsman was looking into him already

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
Anyone actually know if he's going to play for Trinidad or if he's decided to try for the United States? because I heard that Klinnsman was looking into him already

He wants to play for USA. T&T is an alternative if things don't work out with the Stars & Stripes.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
Well lets hope things don't work out then with USA

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »

yeah right ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »

yeah right ....

Believe what u want but I hear that talks, Klinsmann tell me that himself

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »

yeah right ....

Believe what u want but I hear that talks, Klinsmann tell me that himself

You heard that Klinsmann was looking into him, then you say Klinsmann told you that himself.

That is too different statements. Which one is it?

The fella not a starter on the DC United, he not on the US U23 team, but he being looked at for the US National team as told to you by the coach. OK lol

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
Well we go see when the 3 D's attacking us next World Cup qualifying DeLeon, Donovon and Dempsey

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »
So what if he plays for the US? That is HIS country. And Donovan and Dempsey maybe to old for the Russian WC.

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
So what if he plays for the US? That is HIS country. And Donovan and Dempsey maybe to old for the Russian WC.
Relax brudda, I was just thinking it would be nice to get another quality player to the squad.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2012, 04:41:53 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9qaTQJ2u1oY&amp;list=UUYjTv-40_nhaU5HVy5er3Ug" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9qaTQJ2u1oY&amp;list=UUYjTv-40_nhaU5HVy5er3Ug</a>

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »
At least he was kind enough to show up to watch a practice, positive sign :beermug:

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
that's very good . de man love trinidad man,

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
At least he was kind enough to show up to watch a practice, positive sign :beermug:

Like he doing we a favor awah? Steups
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »

Like he doing we a favor awah? Steups

He didn't have to show up

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
The man really didn't have to show up if he wasn't interested at all though

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
Nice one Shaun and thanks for stopping over Nick.

His father was never there for him, had he been Today Nick might have been on the T&T side.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
The reason for his presence at the event was not disclosed. But if it was out of "kindness" I couldn't think of a more pitiful reason.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »
I wonder what he thinking now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
I wonder what he thinking now.
Haha after that game I really studying what he thinking right now

truetrini

De Leon
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
 score one set up one and hit the bar with a great shot...he is going to get eh attention of Klinsmann

truetrini

Re: De Leon
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »
DC rampant  4-1 now...oh Lord....Man saying a star is born on NBC and his name is Nick De Leon!

DC wukking Dallas belly
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:26:06 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
Yeah this is his break out game for United...
Just before he scored, he had a somewhat tame effort on goal with his left foot from about 10yards.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

truetrini

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »
Just before he scored, he had a somewhat tame effort on goal with his left foot from about 10yards.

he tried to place it..but soon after he had the keeper save a nice shot off the bar and then the goal and the assist came.  He is a hustler too, he always moving looking for the ball

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
score one set up one and hit the bar with a great shot...he is going to get eh attention of Klinsmann

It doesnt help that the US team didnt play well either. Theyll be looking for new young players.

truetrini

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
The US team did not play so badly nah...dey were unlucky to tie El Salvador, but he willmake their team I feel

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »

he tried to place it..but soon after he had the keeper save a nice shot off the bar and then the goal and the assist came.  He is a hustler too, he always moving looking for the ball

United playing much better since Salihi come off.....
Yeah he has been hustling all game. What was great about his goal, was the angle that he scored from.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

1]; } ?>