March 28, 2024, 06:19:57 PM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early  (Read 19908 times)

truetrini

Re: Nick DeLeon signs with MLS early
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »
Yeah this is his break out game for United...
Just before he scored, he had a somewhat tame effort on goal with his left foot from about 10yards.

he tried to place it..but soon after he had the keeper save a nice shot off the bar and then the goal and the assist came.  He is a hustler too, he always moving looking for the ball

United playing much better since Salihi come off.....
Yeah he has been hustling all game. What was great about his goal, was the angle that he scored from.

The control, the way he chest the ball down and a simple volley...nice goal

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
I missed the game but TT it sounds like he had a solid game all around and a key contributor for DC :beermug:

truetrini

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
I missed the game but TT it sounds like he had a solid game all around and a key contributor for DC :beermug:

yeah he very mobile and seems intelligent, and we know how much we miss intelligence from our teams.

Would be sad for us if we lose him.  But if he were my son I would be aiming him at the USA team...TTFF and T&T football is too much shit for too long.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »

yeah he very mobile and seems intelligent, and we know how much we miss intelligence from our teams.

Would be sad for us if we lose him.  But if he were my son I would be aiming him at the USA team...TTFF and T&T football is too much shit for too long.

Yeah as much as I'll like to see him represent us he may have his sights set on the US after learning more about our admin. I wish him well though, he seems very ambitious and his attitude indicates like he wants to work hard to improve. Plus as a bias my partner was one of his coaches at UNLV and speaks highly of him, he even told me he'll be drafted in the MLS and he went 7th in the 1st round.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:15:54 PM by soccerman »

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »
DeLeon was the Man of the Match in DC's 2-1 win over New England yesterday:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-04-14-ne-v-dc/recap
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2012, 04:07:02 AM »
nice player. so far dominating them mls games like the old stern. not yet but not far off.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 06:21:20 AM »
DeLeon was the Man of the Match in DC's 2-1 win over New England yesterday:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-04-14-ne-v-dc/recap

he may well break into the US national team in 2013 if he continues playing this well ..... had we made it to the second round he would have been a fine addition .....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:32:59 AM by Trini _2018 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
De Leon in time will join the ranks of USA's top players. That kind of talent just can't be denied.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »
i watched him a couple times in college ball and there he did what he wanted ...very good player we need to try to cap him for the senior squad soon .... he is strong fast technical and works hard ...... since he has been starting DC have not lost

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
De Leon in time will join the ranks of USA's top players. That kind of talent just can't be denied.

You will be suprised.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

If he is half as good as his father was he'll be ah beast!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »

If he is half as good as his father was he'll be ah beast!!!

This man looking like a player already boy ... no denying he have some of his father in him for sure.
'he is one for the future

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »
In fact he is one for the present all kinda ting

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Nick and DC United will be on ESPN2 at 6pm if anyone wants to see what we will be missing out on.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
Allyuh CANNOT blame de yute.......what does T&T football have to offer him??? nuttin but ah bag ah crix and some mauby and sweet bread???
Again we have neither the leadership or the coaches who would draw these players to TnT.

Not meaning to sound all JFK and all, but the correct question for anyone genuinely connected to Trinidad and Tobago is what they could do for the country.....
Putting on that national shirt should be the greatest honour in the world, even if is crix you getting to eat...

That the difference between Birchall and Zamora.
That the difference between the legions of 1st generation jamaicans in the US and UK compared to trinis.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
Allyuh CANNOT blame de yute.......what does T&T football have to offer him??? nuttin but ah bag ah crix and some mauby and sweet bread???
Again we have neither the leadership or the coaches who would draw these players to TnT.

Not meaning to sound all JFK and all, but the correct question for anyone genuinely connected to Trinidad and Tobago is what they could do for the country.....
Putting on that national shirt should be the greatest honour in the world, even if is crix you getting to eat...

That the difference between the legions of 1st generation jamaicans in the US and UK compared to trinis.

yeah thats why we football in a mess  ... to much crix
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
he score again ... a good player we will likely miss out on ...takes on players, passes the ball well and is very creative

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
That's not the difference between Birchall and Zamora.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
I did not see him play. But right now, for any body wanting to to play for TT should really comtemplate on how this will impact on their future. We still suffering from the blacklisted fallout. And as much as we have seen some attempts by the current TTFF to do things a little different, unfortunately this has not been good enough for football. Why would Nick want to play for TT? If he ready for vay-kee-vay operations of TT football, he will certainly be welcome. When you see the top class professional organization of the USSF, you really think he will want to toss a coin. The only plus about choosing toplay for TT is that he will PROBABLY be playing more regularly for us than on the US team. PROBABLY! I don't think it looking good for TT getting him. I may be wrong. But I will be pleasantly surprised if he chooses TT.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »
he score again ... 

With his weaker foot, too.

Also interesting because the left flank had been Chris Pontius' position, but he was out injured with a broken leg so it freed up the spot for DeLeon. Now Pontius is back and has been moved to forward, where you saw what he did last night. And DeLeon has been excellent on the flank with assists and goals. It's all fallen into place for DC in that regard.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jylHiw5cHOc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jylHiw5cHOc</a>
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

Everybody does talk bout what TNT have to offer our players.. Pride is all dat counts.. Look at Jamaica squad yu think dem players getting big money? Pride Jamaicans have Pride in representing there country Jamaica .. where is our Pride..  Listen to war carefully when  My kids reach that point of where I believe they can represent TNT . I will prfer them to represent the red black and white first and foremost. I dont support no player who who has Trini back ground and refuse to represent My birth land .. I am a Trini ...
As much as I love american national team I support My country of Birth TNT.....
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:42 PM »

Everybody does talk bout what TNT have to offer our players.. Pride is all dat counts.. Look at Jamaica squad yu think dem players getting big money? Pride Jamaicans have Pride in representing there country Jamaica .. where is our Pride..  Listen to war carefully when  My kids reach that point of where I believe they can represent TNT . I will prfer them to represent the red black and white first and foremost. I dont support no player who who has Trini back ground and refuse to represent My birth land .. I am a Trini ...
As much as I love american national team I support My country of Birth TNT.....

War, I believe one of the advantage Jamaica has over many coutries is its strong sporting legacy. While we are realtive minnows in world football, our previous appearance at France 98 along with our exploits on world track and field scene makes us a viable option for footballers looking to launch an international career. Outside of Mexico and say the USA, i dont think any other country in CONCACAF has the international sport/culture appeal Jamaica has overseas. New Reggae boy recruit Adrian Miriappa of Watford recently turned down representig another nation to represent Jamaica instead. there is also a battle currently on bwteen Jamaica and Canada for Blackburn striker Junior Hoilette, who is yet to decide. Canada was first to approach him, then the JFF showed interest through his Jamaican dad. word is that he has recently started papaer work to represent Jamaica.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:56:42 PM by Reggaefan »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
plus you NEED them players RF
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 03:26:03 AM »
plus you NEED them players RF

We sure the hell do if we are to make it to Rio 2014!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
DeLeon heads freshman class

D.C. United's Nick DeLeon is making a strong case early on for MLS Rookie of the Year. In a standout class of young attackers, the son of former Trinidad & Tobago international and NASL star Leroy DeLeon was only taken with the No. 7 pick, but he has been sensational for D.C. United, scoring three goals and adding two assists.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Timing, poise lead DeLeon closer to DCU rookie record
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2012, 04:34:03 AM »
Timing, poise lead DeLeon closer to DCU rookie record
By Steven Streff (MLSsoccer.com)

If you listened to the critics during January's MLS SuperDraft, then Nick DeLeon’s selection as the seventh pick by D.C. United was certainly a puzzling one.

He came to the Combine out of the University of Louisville overweight, under-motivated and looking like anything but a top selection.

Looks like DeLeon is having the last laugh.

In just eight games this season, the midfielder has amassed three goals and three assists, while filling the void left early in the season by Andy Najar and Chris Pontius. His play has been integral to D.C.'s early success this season, and after a couple of good games to start his professional career, there’s no sign his performances will drop off.

DeLeon is already closing in on one United record that few gave him a chance to set on draft day. With three goals in MLS play this season, he is just two goals behind the record of five goals for a United rookie, set by Santino Quaranta (2001), Freddy Adu (2004) and Andy Najar (2010). With 26 games remaining, few would now question his ability to break that record.

“Finishes are just going in [right now],” DeLeon told MLSsoccer.com. “You have streaks like that; it’s just part of the game. But what keeps me going every day is coming into training, and putting in extra work, and working hard.”

DeLeon’s latest goal came in club’s 4-1 win over the New York Red Bulls last Sunday. Already leading by two goals, DeLeon was on the receiving end of a Dwayne De Rosario pass in the box, and the 21-year-old fired a shot that deflected off of RBNY defender Markus Holgersson and past goalkeeper Ryan Meara.

“I’ve got to give credit to [De Rosario] on that one,” DeLeon said. “I was just in the right place at the right time. He made a good play on the defender, and I just happened to be at the right spot.”

But it was no accident that DeLeon was in the perfect spot to receive the pass from De Rosario to finish his chance. DeLeon has already developed a knack for finding the right place at the right time, and that anticipation has led to several goals for United this season already.

“The good thing about Nick is that he is humble, but he has a confidence about him that I really like,” De Rosario told MLSsoccer.com. “He knows what he is good at, and while he is still developing and learning the game, what a way to start off your career. We are going to keep giving him confidence, but keep him grounded as well.”

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lovingthislife

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
hey bud, its been a while but its fun to know that Nick is now selected to be voted on by the fans as being worthy of being on the MLS AllStar team http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2012/vote

Killen it

1]; } ?>