April 25, 2024, 06:59:35 PM

Author Topic: Stephen Hart: Born & bred Trini  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stephen Hart: Born & bred Trini
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:14:15 AM »
Stephen Hart: Born & bred Trini
By Everard Gordon (Trinidad Guardian)

Stephen Hart is a typical Trini — fitting in wherever he is. This 45-year-old native Trinidadian has been four years the head coach and two years assistant of Canadian Football International junior team and now handles the victorious Canadian team here.

They have won their six matches and looked superb in their execution and composure, ending their campaign in the Caribbean Football Union Under 15 competition with a 4-0 whipping of Guatemala in the final on Saturday.

He was very pleased and said: “Our boys come from areas so far from each other that the only time they get to bond as a team is when they are on tour. In fact, on the journey to Trinidad we were stuck at the Toronto airport after the Air France crash landing for 13 hours and for a similar time at Tobago when we were coming to Trinidad. That was when they started bonding as they were chosen from widely separated regions,” he said.

He is pleased with his team and one wondered how he got into coaching and in Canada of all places, not a powerhouse in adult international football. The transition was fairly simple and logical he said. He played as a midfielder in T&T in his youth and graduated from school football to play for Hurricanes, Texaco and San Fernando Strikers in the Southern League and represented South. He said, “I learned a lot from Alvin Corneal, Jeff Augustine and Ken Headley, who made me think in playing and pointed me in the direction of coaching.”

“Once I began studying for the various certificates I realised that developing the player was as important as winning competitions. In fact developing players would lead to winning the tournaments we are qualified to win. If you only go for results, you never really progress but if you concentrate on development you will win,” he reasoned. “

I hope to nurture the talent, develop the consistency and discipline that would take Canada to the World Cup with good football education and a real chance of making an impact,” was his aim.

Did he ever think of coaching in T&T we wondered and he replied, “To be honest, it has crossed my mind on occasions but Canada has given me a lot and I have to give back something. “

Hart left here to study Marine Geography at St Mary’s University and while there played “mercenary” football he termed it as it provided the money for travel and some of the expenses of living away from home. He played in the league in Toronto for teams that were made up of some Caribbean people, some Greeks or Italians and did well.

Hart said football is only now beginning to get to the adult Canadians. Ice hockey and rugby are more popular at this time.

Hart is married and has three daughters, 11, eight and five years old respectively. “They like football and if they want to play seriously, I would be delighted but I will not push them. When they are playing I will not be their coach either as I may be too emotionally involved.” He noted the “explosion in football especially among women in North America. The women are more independent and their athleticism is encouraged and developed more that it s in most parts of the world.”

How has T&T changed since you left? “There has been massive physical development in the country and it seems much more affluent but I have not been here long enough or been seriously looking at many aspects of life to make meaningful comment,” he said.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hart: Born & bred Trini
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:29:05 AM »
All dat good and thing; but one question: IF TNT GAVE HIM AND OOPPORTUNITY TO COACH  AND TO DEVELOP A YOUTH PROGRAM BACK HOME, WILL HE TAKE IT?
or will he still sing the song, "I OWE SO MUCH TO CANADA?"

Yuh does only owe so much until everyday somebody ask yuh "whey yuh from"  yuh living here longer than soem ah them born and the moment yuh try tuh change yuh twang and yuh talk ; dey want tuh know whey de duck yuh from.

Not to take away from his accomplishments; it good tuh know a TRINI influencing the success of Canada's football. 

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:05:34 AM »
Alberta doh talk thru yuh arse nah!

Dat man have Trinidad in he hart at all times! (pun intended!)

If yuh know how he get mistreated by de TTFF yuh would shut yuh backside.

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:57:22 AM »
SH is a role model for all new Canadians.  He loves Canada and is proud to represent the Maple Leaf.

I highly doubt he would bother coaching a T&T junior team.  The CSA have shown him a loyalty that is rare in international football (hence his statement), and obviously he moved to Canada from T&T for a reason.

That said, as a serious football coach, I am sure he would love to coach T&T.  But would T&T seriously want to offer him a job as head coach ?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 09:12:21 AM »
TrueTrini,
You must know so go ahead be the authority. I m sure you doh talk through yure backside!!!!
You know.
All hail Canada!!!! Fury.  I am sure in your eyes it is paradise. A role model for all "NEW CANADIANS"' PLEASE!!!

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 09:30:38 AM »
move back home to Trinidad yuhself and start  contributing now!  Leave Canada and de cold yuh always crying about.

Do you know Stephen Hart?  Ever had a chat with him?

Know what his strongest desires are?

Den shut up before yuh make yuhself look dotish.

I cool woith yuh eh, infact I like yuh, but please doh bump off on ah rel TRINI like Stephen Hart.

De man is ah trini to de bone!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 09:54:04 AM »
TrueTrini,
I know you not nor do I know Hart, so before you rave and rant, get this clear, I am not disputing his loyality nor his love for TNT. I am not privy to his personal 'falling out' with TTFF and that is not my query.

I am simply responding to Fury comments as to Canada as the be all and end all just because of one's accomplishments and success. It is not agiven , one has to work hard to attain those as I am sure Mr. Hart does. So whether he feels a sense of personal obligation to Canada for that, it is his perojative.

I am saying that despite the set backs of TNT , despite the disappointments we all probably have experienced, from a personal perspective (and it's just me) all things being equal; if the opportunity was afforded to me to be in TNT hands down I would be there. This has nothing to do with the years  and the successes accorded me in Canada. We who live abroad all have unique and different reasons for this choice of life.

It is interesting to read Fury's comments in regrads to Hart as a"role model to NEW  Canadians" He did not say ALL canadians. keep that in mind. ask: who are the NEW Canadians? what do they look like? why can't Hart be a role model to ALL CANADIANS period? What are the traits of a role model?

Do you embrace the host country 100%  above any other?

I was not bashing  nor questioning  Hart's 'heart' but rather questioning Fury's unabated glorification of an ideal; that is Fury's undaunting gloating.

Thank you respectfully,

P.S.   'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country,'
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 06:35:17 AM by AlbertaTrini »

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:12:41 AM »
ok mr. Kennedy

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 09:46:51 PM »
TrueTrini,
I know you not nor do I know Hart, so before you rave and rant, get this clear, I am not disputing his loyality nor his love for TNT. I am not privy to his personal 'falling out' with TTFF and that is not my query.

I am simply responding to Fury comments as to Canada as the be all and end all just because of one's accomplishments and success. It is not agiven , one has to work hard to attain those as I am sure Mr. Hart does. So whether he feels a sense of personal obligation to Canada for that, it is his perojative.

I am saying that despite the set backs of TNT , despite the disappointments we all probably have experienced, from a personal perspective (and it's just me) all things being equal; if the opportunity was afforded to me to be in TNT hands down I would be there. This has nothing to do with the years  and the successes accorded me in Canada. We who live abroad all have unique and different reasons for this choice of life.

I have worked here; got my  post degrees here; coached  here since the  70's  so I eh know fresh person talking. It is interesting to read Fury's comments in regrads to Hart as a"role model to NEW  Canadians" He did not say ALL canadians. keep that in mind. ask: who are the NEW Canadians? what do they look like? why can't Hart be a role model to ALL CANADIANS period? What are the traits of a role model?

Do you embrace the host country 100%  above any other?

So mr. True Trini. if you interested in the work I do, email me but I do not wish to carry on with this misunderstanding and mis interpretation of waht was 'intended ' or what seem to be 'discourse' nonsense.

I was not bashing  nor questioning  Hart's 'heart' but rather questioning Fury's unabated glorification of an ideal; that is Fury's undaunting gloating. Yuh know, if the Canadian public would ask me the question, I may answer the same;  there are things I  owe to the creator, while living in Canada,  but until one walks in my shoes every day and live the  expereinces then we go talk about UNCEASING LOVE for Canada at the expense of turning my back on TNT.NEVER.

And yuh know what, it have too many Europeans who think they alone  know about football. When I use to win leagues and provincial titles with the system I learned in TNT, yes it was some of  them same europeans who use tuh frown and fret and want tuh label my team as too physical. Saying they playing like latin americans   (the only black players wer my sons)!!!!!!! jeezam ; so True Trini everyone's journey and experiences maybe slighty different and like I said I eh want tuh  continue on in this discourse.
If yuh want to talk further Email me.

Thank you respectfully,

P.S.   'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country,'

Like the man said, "stop talk thru yuh arse."  If you don't like Canada, then F*CK OFF and leave.

Now back to the conversation before it was hijacked by Mr Kennedy.

SH would probably be interested in a senior coaching position for T&T, but would T&T seriously consider him for a senior position ?

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
football coaching steve hart
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
Had the pleasure to observe steve hart at a coaching conference at the university of toronto.
Very impressed greater presenter and educator. all the coaches around me were impressed.
Anyone interested in coaching should make contact. He is approachable, humble and down to earth

1]; } ?>