April 28, 2024, 02:12:47 AM

Author Topic: Kelvin Jones slams ‘Warriors’ preparation.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kelvin Jones slams ‘Warriors’ preparation.
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:39:34 AM »
Jones slams ‘Warriors’ preparation.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Kelvin Jones, current coach of the Police FC team and ex-Strike Squad defender, has slammed the lack of preparation for Trinidad and Tobago’s failure to progress beyond the Second Round of the 2014 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Zone Qualifiers.

The 50-year-old Jones, who played 14 times for Trinidad and Tobago between 1984 and 1992, stated, “it’s obvious the majority of the whole (downfall) is more or less preparation.

“I think preparation and some of the players were playing in the wrong position,” he continued. “We have a lot of talented players here and (the coaches) are not playing them to their strengths.”

Trinidad and Tobago finished second in Group “B”, with group winners Guyana advancing to the Third Round, which begins in June.

Jones is adamant that TT coach Otto Pfister did not have the final say in terms of player selection during the ill-fated World Cup campaign.

“To be fair, it seems like the players that he needed (were) chosen by other people,” he stressed. “For instance, not being bias, one of the (best) left backs was not even played in the games,” he added, referring to his son, Joevin Jones of W Connection. “But he’s on the Under-23 team.

“Now, if we’re looking for future tournaments, these are the guys that you have to be looking at, the Under-20s and Under-23 (players),” he continued. “I’m just waiting to see what happens now with the Olympic Games (qualifiers) that are coming up. And these are the teams that you have to be grooming now.”

Jones is willing to assist in the development of the new breed of national footballers if called upon.

“I have no problem with that because, as a police officer, we are here to serve the country in all aspects, whether it’s sports or (other) wise,” he said. “I have no problem with that. Things that I’ve got through the national team, I can give back as well.” The former Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive, ECM Motown, Police FC and St Ann’s Rangers player admitted that he hopes to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

“I think the only thing that we can do is go up,” Jones said. “That’s the only choice that we have now. As far as I see, we’re at the bottom of the pack.

“Teams like St Lucia and St Vincent, we used to be playing them and beating them with local players. What we need to do is groom a local team and continue training, even if it’s once (or) twice a week.

“The success would come and the guys abroad can strengthen the team,” he ended.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Kelvin Jones slams ‘Warriors’ preparation.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
I saw Joevin three times in action last year and no offence to Kelvin, but Joevin Jones might be one for the future, currently he is not impressive and is not the best left back we have.

He has no close control, he traps the ball for his opposition, he makes poor decissions on the ball, he sucks at crossing, he is slow and only show a few signs of a decent left wing player, he is ok at chipping the ball, that's about it.

He is weak, he need some protein.... he have no composure on the ball.

I hope Angus dont use him as a starter, them players from Central America very fast and will expose him.

He is still young and I hope he improves. He did not do to bad for T&T senior team against Caribbean opponents, but I would not trust him against Central American teams.

Some highlights here, he wears number 36.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:36:03 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »
Hi Sam- The man making a play for his Son. I guess all I can say is that he is a good Father. Very Self serving but then again - This is Trinidad & Tobago. Hope his son uses this as motivation to be the best left back in Trinidad & Tobago. The good is often the enemy of the best.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:02:33 AM »
Fair play injunchile, but when he say he son is one of the (best) left backs he also throwing another player under the bus.

Yes, he son ok, but in my view he is not the best left backs in T&T. I would pick Akeem Adams and Noel Williams and maybe Andrei Pacheco over Joevin (for now).

But we go see how he develop, he is still green and I hope he get s chance to play aboard soon, he need some outside training and exposure, T&T and local coaches will limit his ability.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:04:26 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
its all opinions...and in my opinion..JJ is the best left back in tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:51:14 AM »
Again we keep seeing why we don't go any where, these fellas cyah be serious.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
I like de youth man, but would not say he is the best left back we have.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
from what i saw of the highlights he doesn't look as bad as sam has made him out to be, need to see him against intl opponents to judge how good of a left back he is

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »
The man was hedging his bets.  He said that his son is "one of the (best) left backs was not even played in the games...”  So if he is one and the best and the team have two left backs then obviously his son can't play.  But which father wouldn't highly rate his son and think that his is a good player.  Just as long as the coach makes unbiased selections.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
To be honest all the current LBs in TT need improvement. I like JJ. He is not as bad as Sam says he is, but he definitely needs to work on some aspects of his game as Sam has pointed out. I am bias for him because of his youth and enthusiasm. In the clips I have seen, he appears to want to do the things of any big time footballer. But he needs to take the initiative for self improvement. I wish he could have gone abroad and develop his game in a more competitive environment. As far as his father biggin up his son. What do you expect. JJ is his pride and joy.

I think Noel was a damn good player and should have played more for the national team. But then TTFF again. I have not seen much of Andre Pacheco to comment on his play.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
its all opinions...and in my opinion..JJ is the best left back in tnt
I see you are the only one who think that JJ is as good as his dad say and everybody else seems to think he not up there yet.I have no choice but to go with the others who say he aint goood enough but I would like to see him myself.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »
I think the point that Kelvin was trying to make it that they were playing other players out of position at left back -Carlos Edwards - when they had established laft backs available for selection. Just used his son as an example.

And to be quite honest to say that he is one of the best left backs in the country cannot be that wrong if he is on the National U23 Team. He could be one of the 10 or 20 best.....  ;D

Seriously, let us forget the fact that the coment was made by his father and actually listen and understand what he is trying to say.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
I think the point that Kelvin was trying to make it that they were playing other players out of position at left back -Carlos Edwards - when they had established laft backs available for selection. Just used his son as an example.

And to be quite honest to say that he is one of the best left backs in the country cannot be that wrong if he is on the National U23 Team. He could be one of the 10 or 20 best.....  ;D

Seriously, let us forget the fact that the coment was made by his father and actually listen and understand what he is trying to say.

Good points, from the little i have seen Jones is a very promising player...composed and more versatile (as a winger) than some others selected ahead of him. Has started and IMO could easily start on the senior team depending on the calibre of opposition.

Kelvin Jones should also understand that is would probably be wise to refrain from using his own son as an example of 'one of the best' if he does not wish to court controversy for Joevin.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

1]; } ?>