April 28, 2024, 12:27:50 PM

Author Topic: Harford: TTFF don't know where football $$ is.  (Read 2289 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Harford: TTFF don't know where football $$ is.
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
NOT A CLUE!
Harford: TTFF don't know where football $$ is
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) has no idea what happened to its corporate sponsorship funds from World Cup 2006.

Anthony Harford, marketing director at All Sport Promotions—the company responsible for managing TTFF marketing and events—yesterday reiterated his previous statement that the Federation's bank account, audited by international company KPMG, is up to mark.

But there are other accounts, LOC 2006—related to T&T's 2006 World Cup campaign—and LOC 2010, both of which were controlled by Jack Warner, former TTFF special adviser and LOC (Local Organising Committee) 2006 and LOC 2010 chairman.

"That is the account in question. The truth is that the TTFF do not know," Harford explained last week.

"That is what is holding up and tarnishing the relationship (between the Federation and the players) and the issues.

"The TTFF accounts I know about are perfectly in order. The parallel accounts, the LOC accounts are the ones in question. Therefore the TTFF find themselves in an embarrassing position.

Harford has found himself in the firing line, being pressed with questions about the TTFF accounts.

In fact, former T&T goalkeeper Kelvin Jack, one of the 13 players which took successful legal action against the TTFF and ex-president Oliver Camps over non-payment of promised bonuses from the 2006 World Cup, questioned Harford's recent statements about the TTFF's financial books.

"What Tony Harford should be asking is what Oliver Camps did with the cheque of 14 million, a cheque issued by the Ministry (of Sport) 1st May 2006, payable to TTFF, which was signed and received," Jack (Kelvin) told the Express. "It was not deposited to any back account that KPMG has access to."

He continued: "This is all facts… why is (Harford) trying to make the population and football fans believe that the organisation is accountable and being honest and their books are fine, when the honourable judge in our case described the accounts as unaccountable." It is extremely disappointing to come from somebody like him."

However, Harford made it clear that his responsibilities lie in managing financial affairs involving TTFF teams and events, effective August 2011, and not in affairs that took place before he took over.

The veteran broadcaster and sports promoter added that to date, all TTFF spending for that period has been accounted for.

Harford has also called on the TTFF to clear the air on the matter if they hope to improve T&T football going forward.

"My recommendation is that we go and come out straight and say 'listen we can't account for this, we surrendered complete authority to our special adviser. Now that he is departed we are left to this thing and we can't account for it'".

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:44:55 AM by Flex »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Jack Warner to appear in court in 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
I really, really want to believe Tony Harford. I'm hoping for his sake that people inside TTFF are keeping secrets from him. He's trying his best (it appears) to be open and honest, but certain facts are working against him. The moment he said that KPMG told him all TTFF accounts were accurate and there were parallel accounts, is the moment he put his head on the block. I admire him for his loyalty. However, when its public knowledge that Camps collected a cheque - made payable to TTFF, not LOC2006 - which has never appeared in the TTFF accounts, someone is not telling the whole truth. Whether that be people inside TTFF, people inside KPMG, or even Mr Harford, the truth must be told. Mr Harford's reputation is on the line, and I hope he can now work to prove what I hope is true....that he has been misled and lied to.

But one moment he is saying that the accounts are correct, the next he is saying that his knowledge only extends from August 2011.

"My recommendation is that we go and come out straight and say 'listen we can't account for this, we surrendered complete authority to our special adviser. Now that he is departed we are left to this thing and we can't account for it'".   

This statement is clearly passing the blame onto Warner, which it seems is where the blame alledgedly lies, yet the $14 million was payable to TTFF and collected by Camps. The only place it could be deposited is a TTFF account, in which case, either TTFF have knowledge of it, or its a fraudulent account. I suppose there is a possibility that the cheque could have been altered and initialled by Camps and paid to LOC2006, but I really don't think this is possible.

The next question is why doesn't Anil Roberts confirm in which account the cheque was cashed. This cheque is possibly evidence in an act of theft, money laundering or fraud (I don't know which it would be classed as). But there appears to be a crime committed: A Government cheque is made out to TTFF, yet it doesn't appear in their audited accounts which have been exibited in court. So where is the $14 million and why hasn't it been used for the purpose it was given?

I know stories involving government ministers seem to fade away in T&T, but when you consider the coverage given recently to the awarding of silks, surely that pales in comparison with a cabinet minister mixed up in some way with $14 million (at least)  apparently being "misplaced" for 6 years.

I hope Tony Harford will keep pushing this matter, as I would like nothing more than finding I can truly believe in someone at TTFF.

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Jack Warner to appear in court in 2 weeks
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:50:49 AM »
Hope in ethical decisions, transparency, and/or resignations emanating from the TTFF is FUTILE. The cabal that runs the federation understands full well that neither the so-called football community (an oxymoron if ever there was one), the government, nor the people of Trinidad and Tobago care enough to do anything about their shenanigans. The only hope is for FIFA to impose a normalization committee on TNT as it has on the CFU. I am to be proven wrong but all people do is talk...

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Harford: TTFF don't know where football $$ is.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »
This is a case of massive fraud! Why are not journalists and other elders in the society not taking this up more aggressively? Is it because the matter is in court? The case is being postponed every time it is called ! This is not good enough! It is sending bad signals and eroding further confidence in our judicial system! sport is just as important as any other are of national life if not more important as it has an impact on the grassroots and the majority of the population! People must start raising the issue more publicly ! Give the soca warriors support! Walk the talk!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »
It is entirely possible that the Checks were made out to "Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation" and deposited in the LOC account.  At the same time, FIFA deals with LOCs all the time when it comes to the WC.  So it is also entirely plausible that the check read "Local Organizing Committee of the TTFF" or some variant.

I don't think there's anything incorrect in what Harford is saying, nor do I think anyone, including the TTFF is lying.  They can't account for it because they know nothing, and never knew anything.  I find this very much possible given the level of control exercised by Warner.  He arranged the payments and most likely collected/oversaw the collection of payments, while Camps et al were sent out as the frontmen for the organization, drinks in hand.  Anyone who suggests that Camps actually functioned in a fiscal or administrative capacity in this organization is fooling himself.  No doubt he had an office, desk, chair and telephone... and may have even represented the organization on occasion, but he had little if anything to do with running the ship.  This much is evident, and has been evident.

What needs to take place is people, the TTFF included, need to stop beating around the bush and just come out and state what everyone knows... the proverbial buck stopped at Jack Warner's desk, therefore any inquiry must properly start there as well.  Camps just needs to either get that process started, or assist accordingly.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »
What needs to take place is people, the TTFF included, need to stop beating around the bush and just come out and state what everyone knows... the proverbial buck stopped at Jack Warner's desk, therefore any inquiry must properly start there as well.  Camps just needs to either get that process started, or assist accordingly.

Camps swore an affidavit stating the above, but no one seems concerned. Tony Harford, while not exactly saying the above, certainly graphically alluded to this at the Football Conference and in the statement below. To be fair to Harford, he can only repeat hearsay as he was not involved at the time, so he has to protect himself, but he has gone further than any other person associated with TTFF and he deserves respect for that.

As I understand it, it is impossible to deposit a cheque marked "account payee only" in any other account other than the account payee, in this case, TTFF. Of course, once the cheque is deposited, it is perfectly reasonable for the funds to be transferred to LOC2006 as this was the body created to correct and allocate these specific funds.

What is of concern, is why this does not appear in the income and expenditure of TTFF. You can't choose what you want to include, even if the transactions result in a neutral entry.

More worrying is why it didn't appear in the LOC2006 accounts. This should have been identified and rectified by Camps, who had final responsibility. Camps is not senile, he would know that he personally collected a $14 million cheque. So blaming Warner, while possibly being correct, should not allow Camps to get off the hook. In this matter, certainly, he is equally as culpable, if only by neglect of duty, if any wrongdoing has occurred.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »

Camps swore an affidavit stating the above, but no one seems concerned. Tony Harford, while not exactly saying the above, certainly graphically alluded to this at the Football Conference and in the statement below. To be fair to Harford, he can only repeat hearsay as he was not involved at the time, so he has to protect himself, but he has gone further than any other person associated with TTFF and he deserves respect for that.

As I understand it, it is impossible to deposit a cheque marked "account payee only" in any other account other than the account payee, in this case, TTFF. Of course, once the cheque is deposited, it is perfectly reasonable for the funds to be transferred to LOC2006 as this was the body created to correct and allocate these specific funds.

What is of concern, is why this does not appear in the income and expenditure of TTFF. You can't choose what you want to include, even if the transactions result in a neutral entry.

More worrying is why it didn't appear in the LOC2006 accounts. This should have been identified and rectified by Camps, who had final responsibility. Camps is not senile, he would know that he personally collected a $14 million cheque. So blaming Warner, while possibly being correct, should not allow Camps to get off the hook. In this matter, certainly, he is equally as culpable, if only by neglect of duty, if any wrongdoing has occurred.

Jack have all kinda connections in TnT and all of them, prior to May 2010 knew him for his involvement with FIFA/local football.  You honestly think if there's a FIFA check with "TTFF" on it and Jack opens an account in the name of "LOC TTFF" that as a "TTFF Special Advisor" anyone in the banking industry in TnT would bat an eye?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »
Jack have all kinda connections in TnT and all of them, prior to May 2010 knew him for his involvement with FIFA/local football.  You honestly think if there's a FIFA check with "TTFF" on it and Jack opens an account in the name of "LOC TTFF" that as a "TTFF Special Advisor" anyone in the banking industry in TnT would bat an eye?

Bakes, I understand exactly what you're saying, and this is why this case is almost a "Watergate" situation.

The money is almost not the issue, its the cover ups, misappropriations, deceit and purjory.

But this $14 million wasn't anything to do with FIFA...it was from Ministry of Sport. Any bank that deposited that cheque into an incorrect account has involved itself in defrauding the Govt. I don't believe any bank would chance that. No, it was deposited in TTFF...its what happened next that we must find answers to. Remember, the TOTAL TTFF income for 2005 and 2006 was less than that one cheque. No one could forget that it was received.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »

Bakes, I understand exactly what you're saying, and this is why this case is almost a "Watergate" situation.

The money is almost not the issue, its the cover ups, misappropriations, deceit and purjory.

But this $14 million wasn't anything to do with FIFA...it was from Ministry of Sport. Any bank that deposited that cheque into an incorrect account has involved itself in defrauding the Govt. I don't believe any bank would chance that. No, it was deposited in TTFF...its what happened next that we must find answers to. Remember, the TOTAL TTFF income for 2005 and 2006 was less than that one cheque. No one could forget that it was received.

You understand, and don't understand at the same time. 

What I am suggesting to you is that due to his involvement sheer force of personality as the indisputable face of the TTFF, it is perfectly understandable that bankers, his bankers would have thought it entirely appropriate to go ahead and process a check made out to the TTFF, because Jack and the TTFF were one in the same.  If the account was his personal account then that would be problematic, but if he said to the bank that he needed an account separate from the TTFF, to be the repository for funds for the TTFF-affiliated LOC, then it may not have been sound fiscal practice, but perfectly understandable in the familiar, almost incestual confines of the local business community.  What I am suggesting is that there is no "cover up" afoot... people are just ignoring the white elephant in the room and not looking in the proper place.

The MoS, if that is where the funds originated, needs to implement a forensic accounting to trace who signed off on the check, into which account/s the funds were deposited and have the bank generate reports related to the account, who opened it, who had access to funds, how funds were spent etc.  This is more about inefficient/inept investigating rather than any cover up.  Jack is yet to be dragged into court which is why there has been no accounting.  The focus on just Camps/the TTFF is a proverbial wild goose chase, it will take you all over the place with nothing to show for your efforts in the end.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
This does happen all over the world.

look at what going on with Corazine.

They bring in a new company who dont know anything about the past and the people from the past no longer in capacity to know anything because they leave the organization.

They only person they need to talk to is Warner, because the money starts and stops with him.

The TTFF has nothing to do with it because jack was never stupid enough to put them in charge of any of he money.

Most of the money when to elections and getting Jack and them in Power.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »

It happens. Back in college I ran an event and collected sponsorship funds. Checks should have all been made out to the student organization I was with, but one was made out to the name of the university and the bank never bothered about it. Of course I was dealing with hundreds not millions of dollars.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
It happens. Back in college I ran an event and collected sponsorship funds. Checks should have all been made out to the student organization I was with, but one was made out to the name of the university and the bank never bothered about it. Of course I was dealing with hundreds not millions of dollars.

yeah, it shouldn't happen... it's not "sound fiscal practice" as I said, but in your case the bank likely knew of the affiliation between your group and the University.  With Jack and the TTFF there was more than an "affiliation" in the minds of many.  As I said, if he had tried to deposit it into his personal account I'm sure there would have been more of a problem, no different than had you tried to deposit any of those checks into your personal account.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Speak the truth Harford, he is working for the TTFF and claim he does not know.

So what is your next move Harford ?

Where is the new sponsors and shirt sponsors you promise ?

Without Jack everyone acting like they lost.

All of a sudden men get deaf and dumb.

Come on guys, give Jack his jacket.
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:38:35 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
:rotfl: ^^^Good one

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »

Come on guys, give Jack his jacket.

:rotfl:

And another one for Jack Horner too!

De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>