March 29, 2024, 08:40:04 AM

Author Topic: Kevan George Thread  (Read 17509 times)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Kevan George now a Crew.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »
Used to be we had a glut of strikers and was bare in the back. Now de pendulum way over so.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 04:06:50 AM »
Dunno about that, we have;

Jones,
Jorsling,
Roy,
Plaza,
Winchester (Shahdon and in the future Rondell)
Glen (Cornell)

Some other options;
Scotland (long shot lol)
Daryl Roberts (where is he currently?)
Peltier (can play striker too I think?)
Guerra,
Jagdeosingh,
Gay,
Cato,
Joseph (Marcus)
Arcia

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
With Saeid out, Crew might start George in midfield
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 05:00:49 PM »
With Saeid out, Crew might start George in midfield
By Adam Jardy (The Columbus Dispatch)

After Crew SC’s first day of practice for its game Friday against the Chicago Fire, coach Gregg Berhalter wasn’t ready to name a replacement for suspended midfielder Mohammed Saeid.

He dropped some hints, however. With vice captain Wil Trapp still unavailable as he recovers from a concussion and Saeid out after picking up two first-half yellow cards Saturday in a 2-0 loss to the San Jose Earthquakes, Berhalter all but named fourth-year veteran Kevan George as the next man up.

“It (will be) someone who knows how to play that position, someone who’s played it before that clearly understands the responsibility both offensively and defensively,” Berhalter said. “And then it’s about giving guys chances. We’ve played a lot of different guys this year, and for the most part, they’ve stepped up and done well. It will be another chance for a guy to step in and hopefully do well.”

A second-round Major League Soccer draft pick in 2012, George has made 24 appearances for the Crew, and all but two have come at defensive midfielder. No other available player has as much MLS experience at the position.

With only three days of practice before the first Friday game of the season, Berhalter said a decision will be made by Thursday. During practice Tuesday, only George was seen with the starters while reporters were present.

“He’s good on the ball and he’s confident,” said Tony Tchani, who will pair with Saeid’s replacement in the middle of the field. “He’s a guy that’s very physical. He covers a lot of ground. I’ve played with Kevan a few times in the past few years, and it won’t be something new."

Two weeks ago, Saeid came off during the second half of a 3-2 win over the Seattle Sounders at Mapfre Stadium. Instead of replacing him with George, Berhalter moved central defender Michael Parkhurst to the position and filled Parkhurst’s spot with veteran Tyson Wahl. Parkhurst is an option to resume that role against the Fire, Berhalter said, but he has not practiced in that role.

Homegrown rookie Ben Swanson, still in the process of finishing his junior year at Grove City High School, plays the position but has yet to start.

“I’m not exactly sure (he’s ready),” Berhalter said. “I guess that means I’m not exactly convinced that he can do it right now. He’s a guy that’s been making a ton of progress, but I just don’t know if he’s at the level right now to put him in the game.”

George has two appearances totaling 43 minutes this season, 29 of which came Saturday against the Earthquakes.

It might not be the only change to the starting lineup. On Tuesday, Kristinn Steindorsson replaced Ethan Finlay at right midfield and Chad Barson replaced Hector Jimenez at right back on the first team.

Assuming George does get the nod, Parkhurst said Chicago will feel his impact.

“He’s probably the toughest tackler on the team, him and (Emanuel) Pogatetz,” he said. “He’s strong. Don’t get confused by his slight build. Guys will feel him in the game. He’s got that physical presence. He’s tough as nails, so he’ll give us some good bite in there.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Little-used Kevan George "ready" if called or Columbus Crew SC
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 05:02:47 PM »
With Wil Trapp and Mohammed Saied out, little-used Kevan George "ready" if called for Columbus Crew SC
By Andrew King (MLSsoccer.com)

With Wil Trapp out injured and Mohammed Saeid suspended due to a red card, Columbus Crew SC midfielder Kevan George may be in line for his first start since last September when the team hosts the Chicago Fire on Friday night (8 pm ET, Univision Deportes).

George, who made just four MLS appearances last season but came in last weekend after Saeid earned his second yellow, says it would be “an honor” to get the start, but that he’s just focusing on contributing all he can in training for now.

“Nothing has changed,” he said. “We all train together, practice together. It’s just if the opportunity arises, you’ve got to be ready to play. Nothing changes.”

And while some teams separate the likely starters from the reserves during practices, George said Crew SC’s tendency to train as one unit helps reserves like himself step into the fray.

“You’re accustomed to the guys who normally start,” he said. “It makes it a little easier whenever you’re given the chance and the transition is a little easier.”

Head coach Gregg Berhalter said he would assess the performance of several players in training this week to determine who will start alongside Tony Tchani in the center of the park. He said he likes what he’s seen from George, but needs to know the Trinidad & Tobago native can put it together on the MLS stage.

“Kevan has done well,” Berhalter said. “In training, he’s always really solid. So the next step for us is taking his performance in training and translating that into a match. That’s what we’re looking for.”

George said Berhalter hasn’t given him many specific instructions, but being around Trapp and Saeid has helped him know what the coach expects from his position.

“When he spoke to either Wil or Mohammed, I listened as well because I’m in that position,” he said. “We develop as a team. You compete with the guys next to you, but you also learn from them. It’s been learning [from] a distance, for me.”

A year ago, Berhalter sent George to play with the Dayton Dutch Lions, the club’s USL affiliate at the time. Back then, he thought George would play center back. But in his time back in Columbus, George seems to have convinced his coach to keep him in the midfield.

“I think his first position would probably be holding midfield and the secondary position would be center back,” Berhalter said. “He’s good at winning the ball, he’s good on the ball, he understands what that role needs, he’s comfortable playing simple and he’s good in challenges.”

And for George, the position on the field doesn’t matter – as long as he’s on the pitch, he’ll be happy.

“[Not playing has] been tough, but it’s been a learning experience, one that I’ve welcomed with open arms,” he said. “It’s just a part of the development. As long as I’m on that field training, getting to play and healthy, I’m OK.

“If I get to start, I’ll be ready. I’ll be mentally tuned in. I’m physically ready, no injuries, so I’ll be OK.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 02:59:09 AM »
Meet T&T midfielder Kevan George
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aF3N226GyGU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aF3N226GyGU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
George 'disappointed' with Gold Cup loss
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:17 PM »
George 'disappointed' with Gold Cup loss

Fresh off a thrilling, 4-4 tie with Mexico in the 2015 Gold Cup, midfielder Kevan George and his Trinidad & Tobago teammates weren’t satisfied. The tie had earned the island country the top spot from Group C, setting up a quarterfinal showdown with Panama for a chance to reach the team’s first goal for the tournament: a berth in the semifinals.

Unfortunately for the Soca Warriors, it wasn’t to be. At Metlife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Sunday, Panama prevailed 6-5 on penalty kicks to hand Trinidad & Tobago its first – and only – loss of the tournament.

Four days later and three states away, George was back to his day job with Crew SC at the EAS Training Center in Obetz with a sense of wanting more still fresh in his mind. When asked for his overall reflections on the Gold Cup, George used one word first: disappointment.

“It was obviously a good run in the group stage, but we’re still pretty disappointed,” he told The Dispatch today. “I know I am still. It was tough to watch the other games, to be honest. We can build on what we’ve done and not settle for just having a tournament or whatever because in our eyes we haven’t accomplished anything so we’re still hungry. We still feel like we can do more in CONCACAF and hopefully in the world leading up to the World Cup qualifiers. It left a bitter taste in our mouths and we’re definitely ready and hungry to move forward to the next game.”

Now in his fourth season with the Crew, George has made 27 appearances including 11 starts. This season, he has appeared in five games with two starts. He played the entirety of all four games in the Gold Cup, giving him one of his longest stretches of game appearances since becoming a professional.

It was a welcome change.

“It was definitely good to get a stretch of games,” he said. “I didn’t go in expecting anything. I didn’t expect to sit on the bench or expect to play, I just went in there ready. It definitely felt good to see hard work get you a little bit of game time to showcase what you can do, because time is few and far in between here. That doesn’t mean I’m depressed or anything, it just means I have to work harder and eventually something will have to give.”

The challenge now is to turn that momentum into more consistent playing time with the Crew. George has now made 14 appearances for his national team.

“(It’s about) having the patience to wait for your chance and then when your chance comes making the most of it,” Crew coach Gregg Berhalter said. “I think that’s what’s most important, because he has quality. Now the next question is when you get an opportunity, are you going to be able to capitalize on it?”

George said he will work on that by “Just (doing) the same things I did before, maybe a little bit more. Staying after practice, doing stuff on my own, trying to absorb as much information as possible from teammates and the coaching staff. Just sticking to the basics, man. The basics will help you, as it did for our team and myself in the Gold Cup.”

Wednesday was George’s first day back with the Crew. Today, Berhalter said, “He looks good. He looked good today in training. He’s a guy that has, in my eyes, made a tremendous amount of progress this year. I think he’s put himself in line to be able to get on the field. He’s done a good job.”

While with his national team, George spent time with Kenwyne Jones, a forward who plays for Cardiff City in England and has recently been linked to Major League Soccer in numerous reports. Did Jones seek out George’s opinion on the league?

“Not really,” George said. “We were just focusing on the tournament at the time. If we made it to the semis at least, then we would’ve probably had those conversations. We didn’t really talk about it much, but I wouldn’t see why he wouldn’t want to come, maybe not this year but next year. He’d be a great, great asset to the league.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevan George hoping to build on international experiences
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
Kevan George hoping to build on international experiences

One week after possibly the busiest week of international call-ups in Crew SC history, Wednesday’s practice session found the team still short a few players.

At the EAS Training Center in Obetz, the Crew went through 10-on-10 scrimmaging while reporters were present because, well, that’s as many bodies as coach Gregg Berhalter had to work with. Still absent were forward Kei Kamara (Sierra Leone), midfielders Justin Meram (Iraq) and Ben Swanson (United States U-20) and defenders Harrison Afful (Ghana) and Sergio Campbell (Jamaica, then on loan to USL affiliate Austin).

For those who are back, however, it was a chance to start using the experiences they had with their countries to help out their club.

“It’s really good to see your teammates in a different environment and see how they use what they learned here and transfer it over to the national team level,” said midfielder Kevan George from Trinidad & Tobago. “You can tell that it helps the team get better.”

This season, George has made as many appearances for his national team as he has for the Crew: five. In this latest game, George came on in the 70th minute of a 3-3 tie with Mexico played Friday night in Sandy, Utah, a rematch of a 4-4 tie between the teams during the summer’s Gold Cup.

The result left George excited about the future for the Soca Warriors.

“I think it’s something that we can learn from, but it was a lot of improvement (from the Gold Cup),” George said. “I thought we played a much better game. Coach was happy with our performances. It was a good game for the fans as well. (Mexico) didn’t sit back and we didn’t give them the respect because we know that we can compete against them. Now we’re not saying, ‘Hey, we’re better than Mexico.’ We respect them and I think we can compete with them now.”

George said this most recent camp will help prepare the team for World Cup qualifying.

“It was a good transition … just the altitude sucked for the first two or three days,” he said. “There was no drop-off there, being with the team. They’re like family. Everyone is so supportive of each other. We always have fun together, but when it’s business it’s business time. All the friendships go out the window. Speaking for myself, you have to showcase yourself and push your teammates, push yourself so we can be the best Trinidad & Tobago team we can be and take it step by step to do well on the journey to qualify for the World Cup.”

Those players who remained in Columbus were able to watch several of their teammates playing elsewhere and think about others who are awaiting a call.

“I think playing for your country is one of the most rewarding things you can do,” George said. “Playing for your club is great, but when you represent where you come from as a little kid, we’ve seen guys who have made it far from our country and we want to be one of those guys that little kids work towards to become. As far as the other guys go, they’re all deserving and I think a lot more guys in the locker room deserve it as well. Everything is about timing: when it’s your time, it’s your time, whether it’s for club or country.

“I think the guys in the locker room who haven’t been called yet will get their chances, and for those of us who did get called I think we did well.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Kevan George Thread
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 02:54:37 AM »
Kevan George in new club talks.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

T&T senior team midfielder Kevan George may well be on the look out for a new club after his contract with American MLS club Columbus Crew came to an end this month. But reports have stated that the club is negotiating George and forwards Jack McInerney and Aaron Schoenfeld to keep them at the club. Columbus also released four players at the end of this season.

The 25-year-old George played in the recent 2018 World Cup Qualifier versus the United States and has been a regular member of Stephen Hart’s squad for the past two years.

“At the moment there are talks about where my future lies in club football. I’ve had a tremendous experience with Columbus Crew and I’m thankful for that. I will know shortly where I will be playing my football in 2016,” George said.

“I think overall I will have to say that 2015 has been a good year for me. I felt my form was quite good with the national team and most importantly I would say the team had a successful year when you look at our performance at the Gold Cup and the start that we have made to the 2018 World Cup campaign.

“Most important for us now is that we can keep the momentum going and build on our success up this point. I think the head coach Stephen Hart has been doing a good job and has been an inspiring figure in the team. But the main thing, like I said, is for us to keep on working and staying focused at the task at hand.

“We have the Copa America qualifier in January and then the two World Cup qualifiers against St Vincent in March and we need to be well prepared for these games. I think collectively we can make a lot of good things happen for the team and for football in the country.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »
Kevan is on trial with DC United

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 01:18:33 AM »
Kevan is on trial with DC United

:beermug: :beermug:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
Good luck Kevan. Warrior!!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »
DC United Ben Olsen is impressed with Kevan George so far and says he looks sharp in the center of the field.
http://www.dcunited.com/post/2016/01/24/2016-preseason-day-2

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
Niceness. BraveHart's recommendation is also going to be good. Go for it Kevan.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jacksonville Armada FC signs Trinidad and Tobago international Kevan George
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
Jacksonville Armada FC signs Trinidad and Tobago international Kevan George
Armada FC Public Relations

The Jacksonville Armada FC announced on Sunday the signing of Trinidad & Tobago International midfielder Kevan (KEE-von) George.

George recently joined Jacksonville as a trialist after spending the last four years with Major League Soccer side Columbus Crew, logging 1,344 minutes in 28 appearances and 11 starts during that time. He has earned 10 caps for the Trinidad & Tobago National Team since 2013.

"We are excited to add another quality player to our roster,” said Tony Meola, Armada FC head coach and technical director. “Kevan comes to us with international experience and has adapted to our group quickly. We are looking forward to seeing Kevan grow over the next few seasons here in Jacksonville."

Prior to being drafted 29th overall by the Crew in the second round of the 2012 MLS Superdraft, George was a three-time All-Conference USA selection for NCAA Division I side University of Central Florida in Orlando. There he started 73 matches and finished with six goals and 16 assists.

A native of Roxborough, Trinidad & Tobago, George prepped at Decatur High School in Decatur, Ga., where he was the captain of his team. He was also a member of the Region III Olympic Development Program team from 2003-06.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »
Great news

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Dirty South Soccer Interview: Kevan George
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
The Dirty South Soccer Interview: Kevan George
By Jon Nelson (dirtysouthsoccer.com)

Kevan George moved to the Decatur area from his native Trinidad and Tobago at a young age. He started playing for Concorde Fire and made the Georgia ODP team quickly. His strong youth career led him to the University of Central Florida where he was a multiple time All-Conference selection.

George was drafted by the Columbus Crew in the second round of the 2012 MLS SuperDraft and earned his first call-up to the Trinidad and Tobago national team in 2013 for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

After leaving the Crew, George settled in with the NASL’s Jacksonville Armada and recently spent time with his national team during World Cup and Caribbean Cup qualifiers, playing alongside Atlanta United’s Kenwyne Jones.

(ed. note- thanks to Ryan Lobato of the Jacksonville Armada for using the conference call function on his cell phone to make the conversation happen before a long flight to Edmonton for the squad and thanks to Kevan for some really insightful stuff)

Jon Nelson: Very few people around the world get the opportunity to represent their country- as you currently do with Trinidad and Tobago. I know you just went through another spell with the squad, but what was it like to get “The Call” and have them ask you to wear your country’s colors?

Kevan George: I was so nervous, but at the same time, I was like ‘About time!’ When I was a little kid, before I left Trinidad and Tobago, my goal was to make the National Team at the senior level and also go to a World Cup with them and play major tournaments. I know that, being back at home, we didn’t have enough resources to achieve that. To move to Atlanta and America in general afforded me those opportunities. I remember when I got that first call… I remember the day… I sat in my room and I almost cried. I said to myself that this was actually happening to me.

It happened so quickly, before the 2013 Gold Cup, I was on my way back on a trip with Columbus Crew. They called me at the airport and I had to leave the same night! I had to get down to Atlanta, actually, to play against Mexico. I didn’t get to play in the game, but that was my first experience with the National Team. I still have the feelings like then playing for the team now, but obviously, the first call was the most special one.

JN: Now that you’re a veteran of the side, there are other players on the National Team like Kenwyne Jones that make a point to say publicly how important it is and should be to play for your National Team. How do guys like you make a point to tell the younger players how important it is and how much it matters- and should matter?

KG: For me, I’m not a big talker. I’m a guy that observes a lot and I try to lead by example. I try to let the guys know that soccer is soccer- at the end of the day, whether it’s for a national team or a club team, you still have to go out and play. But, when it’s your national team, you have to stop and make sure that you have to give 180-percent. Like you said, not everyone gets to play for their country- at ANY level throughout their careers.

I try to make sure that the younger guys cherish this moment because, today or tomorrow, there could be a coaching change and it could be gone from you. Not to say that you’re a bad player, but coaches have their preferences. Enjoy the moment while it’s there and they’ve been receptive to it.

JN: So, what was this last tour like for you out on the pitch?

KG: We played the Caribbean Cup games. We won our first one against the Dominican Republic, but we lost our second one against Martinique. On that day, I don’t think we were ready for the match. I don’t know. We might have underestimated them and it cost us, because I think we’re a much better team. But that day, they had the better of us and that happens in football.

It was a bittersweet camp, obviously, because of the results. While it was fun to be around the guys, though, the obvious thing is that you want to win. And when you don’t win, regardless of who’s around you, you’re not happy. I’m speaking for myself and my teammates. When we win, anything can happen and we’re all smiles. But when we lose, because we expect so much of each other, it’s not the best place to be in our camp because we’re all so competitive.

JN: So from a national side perspective, to get to where you want to get to, what do you think you have to do as a group to get there?

KG: I think we have to get back to the basics and maybe go back to two years ago when we started to turn over a new leaf. We need to be hungry again. We need to do the little things right- the basics- and we got away from that. We need to be a team like Martinique. We need to beat the smaller islands. We’ve played against bigger nations like Mexico and the U.S. and we competed with them. I think we might have taken it for granted. But losing the game against Martinique and, earlier in the year against Haiti, it was a wake-up call that we’re not there yet.

We all realize it and we just need to go back to the basics, because it could easily slip through our fingers and we could be back to square one again.

JN: Now, to the Atlanta stuff… how did you end up in the suburbs?

KG: Back in 2002, we ended up in Decatur. The closest two schools in our zip code were Renfroe Middle and Decatur High. My parents didn’t have a car at the time, so it wasn’t like we could hop in a car and go to another district. Decatur was our first choice and we loved the area and the city. It was a real family atmosphere there.

JN: What is your first Georgia-based soccer memory from your time in Decatur?

KG: I didn’t even know if Georgia had soccer because, coming from where I came from, you would always see kids on the street corners playing. And when I got to Atlanta and Decatur, I didn’t see anyone playing soccer outside at all. I was questioning my parents going, ‘Why did you guys bring me here and bring me to this city?’ True story! So, I didn’t even know if Atlanta was a soccer city. I was a little bit nervous and a little bit disappointed. But obviously, I learned that Atlanta was a huge soccer city.

I would play games with guys who were from Mexico and moved here. And we would play in the area where the Silverbacks played, too. Every little corner would have people from the Caribbean out in Stone Mountain. So, yeah, my initial reactions were that Atlanta wasn’t a soccer city. But, over time, I was proven wrong about that.

JN: Does it surprise you at times how much the city has grown and evolved as a soccer city?

KG: Not really, because when I was younger I was playing for Concorde Fire. And I saw that there was a buzz in the air and there were a lot of young, talented players at that time. So, I knew it was going to take off. It was always my feeling and some of my teammates’ feelings that it could eventually take off. Now, as I look from the outside in, I see a lot of people talking about Atlanta and MLS and how they have great support and a lot of people are buying season tickets.

People would be surprised, but I would tell them, ‘Atlanta has always been like that’. Always having a strong fan base, thousands of kids playing club soccer, and this isn’t something new. When I was playing, we had a lot of talented kids playing that went on to play in college and some made it on to the pro level. But I am actually not surprised at all. For me, it’s about time that Atlanta gets recognized as a ‘soccer city’ in America.

JN: So then, here’s my “King For A Day” question that I like to ask: You’re in charge of the world for day, how do you keep Atlanta’s momentum as a soccer city and make it grow even further along than from what you’ve seen?

KG: For me, I’ll invest in the youth…

At the end of the day, the youth are the future of the sport. When parents get involved with their children, they’ll tell more parents and more families. And when you have that kind of momentum, you’ll never fail. Look at the Premier League teams, they invest so heavily in their youth that you’re naturally inclined to get behind them. And you do that as a family. And once you do that in Atlanta, for me when you do that, Atlanta will probably be the best soccer city in America.

For me, that’s where it starts. When you invest in the youth, and have that as your foundation, the sky is the limit.

JN: Last question and it’s the Jacksonville question: It’s been a long year there with the Armada with coaching changes early on and a season that has had its ups-and-downs. What do you think you guys have to do on the whole to finish the season on the best note possible to get things moving forward in the right direction for 2017 and beyond?

KG: Ever since I got here, everyone has welcomed me with open arms- considering I just kinda landed here out of nowhere. They’ve all been so great to me here. It’s been a humbling experience. Yeah, we had a coaching change and the start of the season wasn’t that great. Things are looking up now and we have a lot of great players on the team. We just want to win as many games as possible- not just for ourselves- but we feel that we owe it to the fans.

They’ve been there for us when we were losing when we couldn’t get a point and they still showed up. That was strange to see because not a lot of places have fans show up in situations like that and they would cheer you on even if you hadn’t won in the last three or four games. We owe it to them, going into the off-season, to give them a show and give them something to see that would interest them for next year and for the future.

We also want to build ourselves up as a team. We want to be known as THE Jacksonville Armada. So, when teams hear that and they play us, they know what to expect-good football and top competition. We want to make sure teams that play us don’t just think they’re going to get three points. We want to create a culture and keep passing along the culture that’s been going on in our locker room for the past few months.

For me, once accomplishing that, going into the off-season we’ll experience some good things as a team.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »
KG is a class act. :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
Midfielder Kevan George voted as Jacksonville Armada FC’s 2016 Player of the Year.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »
Midfielder Kevan George voted as Jacksonville Armada FC’s 2016 Player of the Year.

He needs to find his way back to the MLS. Maybe this might get him a try out for 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Atlanta

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »

He needs to find his way back to the MLS. Maybe this might get him a try out for 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Atlanta

I hope he stays away from the MLS, but if that's where the paycheck has to come from, so be it.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
From invitation to arrival…Kevan George explains his build up routine ahead of World Cup Qualifiers
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team will begin their on-field preparations for Friday’s World Cup qualifier versus Costa Rica with a double session on Monday.

Head Coach Stephen Hart will conduct a light session in the morning period and will step up the pace in the evening from 6pm. (Venues to be confirmed, either Hasely Crawford Stadium outside field or Larry Gomes)

Hart will not have his full compliment of players with US-based duo Aubrey David and Joevin Jones scheduled to arrive in Port of Spain on Monday while French-based midfielder John Bostock scheduled in Tuesday as his club RC Lens faces Ajaccio in a league fixture on Monday evening.

“We are aware of the situations with a couple of the players. It is a situation which we cannot avoid but the majority of the squad will be here and we will get things rolling on Monday. As always, it will be an important period for us with all energies being focused on being ready for Friday’s match,” Hart told TTFA Media.

US-based midfielder Kevan George, took time out on Sunday to share some insight into his game preparations, which he explains, begins from the moment that he receives official notification of his selection from the FA. He arrived in Port of Spain on Sunday afternoon.

George is on a high, after being named “Most Valuable Player ” last week by his club Jacksonville Armada FC in the North American Soccer League.

“At this point I am very hungry and determined to for these two World Cup Qualifying games. I’m in the zone now- focused and locked in for whatever role I have to play to get us maximum points from our opening games in the hex,” George told TTFA Media.

When the call comes

“From the moment I get the call, in the back of my mind I start envisioning camp, mainly the type of training sessions and opponents we will face. Then I write down what I pray to accomplish for the upcoming camp. Every camp has a different mission. I’m typically disciplined in the way i eat but I eat even more greens and less meat to give me as much energy as possible.

Bags are packed

“I pack passport and bags the day before I leave to make sure I do not forget anything. I’m very meticulous with everything so I have to make sure everything is folded neatly and packed away in the suitcase or carry on. I always take a pair of boots, shin guards and change of clothes with me on airplane in my backpack just in case my checked luggage gets lost or delayed.

The Drive to the Airport

“On the way to the airport, I normally listen to music to start feeling the vibe of meeting up with my teammates in camp. When on the airplane, I normally sleep or watch a good action movie.

Marking the Opponents

Costa Rica has several big threats that we respect such as Joel Campbell and Bryan Ruiz, just to name a couple. They have Talented individuals and are very smart at finding spaces,” George said.

Making the Right Start

“The start is the most important part for us because we want to put ourselves in a position to qualify early. In the Gold Cup we started off our first game of the tournament extremely fast and we rode that wave to the quarter finals unfortunately bowing out on penalty kicks. Even though there are better opponents in these World Cup qualifiers,, I think if we can emulate that start we had in the last Gold Cup we can make the dream a reality,” George said

Striking the balance for the two matches

“It is key that we don’t get ahead of ourselves and start counting games and points. We need to expand all of our energies on Costa Rica and worry about Honduras when that time comes. We have a pretty balanced squad so whoever is on the field for both games, we are confident that they can do the job so no one will have to conserve energy for the next game.

What about that “MVP” award?

“I was very honored and happy to be voted by fans as the Team MVP, but I do not dwell on it though. I’m not a person that set forth goals such as “I want to be team MVP” but it was a nice touch to conclude the season for me personally.” George added.

Fans can purchase their game tickets at Lotto Locations nationwide at $350 (covered section) and $200 (uncovered). Season passes can also be purchased at all First Citizen’s Bank branches nationwide.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2017, 01:42:26 AM »
George turns to martial arts.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

T&T United States-based midfielder Kevan George says that practicing martial arts is his latest form of cross training that helps him to relax away from football.

George is a member of North American Soccer League club Jacksonville Armada.

“I have been at it for several months now and it is easily one of my favourite forms of active rest. Martial arts keeps me composed, focused, centred, and balanced on and off the field,” George said.

“I have found a love for it and it’s definitely something I look forward to when I don’t have to focus on football. Obviously football is my first love and focus and there will be a lot happening in the coming few weeks with the World Cup qualifiers coming up against the US and Costa Rica,” he added

George’s club teammate, T&T forward Jonathan Glenn recovered from a facial injury early in the match to score the equalising goal for Jacksonville Armada in 1-1 draw with Indy Eleven at Hodges Stadium in the North American Soccer League earlier those month.

The result was Armada’s third straight draw leaving them unbeaten in fave games so far for the season.

Glenn was forced to the sidelines twice for treatment to a facial cut, came back to net his first goal for the club.

“We knew coming in they would try to get physical,” said Glenn who was named on the NASL “Team of the Week” for his efforts.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Charlotte Independence signs Kevan George to 2018 roster
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
Charlotte Independence signs Kevan George to 2018 roster
By James Thomas (charlotteindependence.com)

The Charlotte Independence signed Trinidad and Tobago national team player Kevan George to the 2018 roster on Monday, pending league and federation approval.

“I was blessed to play on the national team and play against great competition,” said George. “Being at the international level, having that experience, maybe it'll make some guys feel more comfortable and the younger guys will look to me at times for guidance or direction and I will embrace that roll.”

The Roxborough, Trinidad and Tobago native has appeared in 23 games for his national team since 2013. George brings a veteran presences to the Independence midfield after logging playing time for Columbus Crew SC (Major League Soccer) from 2012-15 and Jacksonville Armada (North American Soccer League) the last two seasons.

“There we are a lot of reasons to come to Charlotte, said the 27 year-old, George. “Most importantly on the football side, I know there's a very good coach in Mike Jeffries.”

“Signing Kevan is huge for us,” said Independence Head Coach Mike Jeffries. “He provides a strong defensive anchor for our midfield as well as being a player we can build through. Our priority in the offseason has been the center of midfield and establishing a strong presence there, which Kevan allows us to do.”

A perfect match for Jeffries’ possession oriented, attacking style, George ranked eighth for most passes completed in the NASL last season. One of the most accurate passers for the Armada, George logged an 87.3% completion rate in 2017, which would have only be topped by Jun Marques-Davidson among Charlotte Independence starters last season. 

The addition of George puts the Independence’s roster now at six players under contract including Matthews native and UNC Charlotte soccer alumni Donnie Smith. The Independence will kickoff the 2018 season at the Sportsplex at Matthews on Saturday, March 17th versus Ottawa Fury FC. 2018 Season Memberships are available online and by calling 704-206-1515. For details on the full 2018 USL regular season schedule, please visit charlotteindependence.com.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2018, 06:20:24 PM »
Kevan is a bar of gold for CLT. Liking this move more than the JAX move.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2018, 10:25:40 PM »
Kevan is a bar of gold for CLT. Liking this move more than the JAX move.
I'll be following him this season now.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Independence's Kevan George returns to site of greatest triumph
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
Independence's Kevan George returns to site of greatest triumph
By Ashley Mahoney (The Charlotte Post)

Kevan George has unfinished business in Charlotte.

A recent addition to the Charlotte Independence midfield, George returns to Charlotte for club, but initially came for country. His previous experience with the Queen City came in the 2015 Gold Cup group stage at Bank of America Stadium where his Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors won Group C with a 4-all draw against Mexico in a game that literally shook the stadium.

“Against Mexico, that’s our World Cup,” George said. “They have great players, but I was very nervous. The night before that game, I couldn’t sleep. I’ll be honest, because I don’t think I’ve played in a game of that magnitude up to that point. On game day, there was a sense of calm.”

That first trip to Charlotte left an impression on George.

“Maybe it was meant to be,” he said. “We had our best and most historical game outside of the World Cup there against Mexico. We’re a small country so that means a lot to us. Maybe it was meant to be for me to come back to Charlotte, because it felt like unfinished business.”

That experience convinced George, who is no stranger to international play, that Charlotte is a “soccer city.”

“The energy around the city,” he said. “I did not know that Charlotte was a soccer city, but that day, oh my. The goosebumps just traveling to the stadium, seeing everyone in the streets, it reminded me of when we played in Argentina. It was just great to see, and personally my best experience as a soccer player. The result wasn’t too bad, but we’ll take 4-4 any day against Mexico.”

George, who joins the Jacks from the NASL’s Jacksonville Armada, replaces defensive midfielder Jun Marques Davidson.

“He gives us a real anchor in the middle of the field,” Charlotte coach Mike Jeffries said. “Not only a guy who is good in possession and can help us build the attack, but a real physical presence, which helps us defensively.”

The role remains pivotal for Charlotte’s ability to maintain possession and play out of the back, as they often did through Davidson and center backs Bilal Duckett (who has re-signed with the club) and Henry Kalungi.

“My role with the squad won’t change,” George said. “I’m a defensive midfielder by trade and by birth.” 

Said Duckett: “I’ve known Kevan since high school. When I got word that he was even considering coming here in the offseason, I got really excited. There’s few opportunities to play with somebody that you’ve held in high regard as a peer for a very long time, and you’ve both been seasoned pros for a little bit, seen the world a bit, and come back. It feels like a little bit of a hometown reunion.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
WATCH: Kevan George’s first professional goal is a game-winner as Charlotte Independence gets the 1-0 win over Nashville SC. Cordell Cato provides the assist.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1pYFD5-WEAU?start=40" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1pYFD5-WEAU?start=40</a>

1]; } ?>