April 28, 2024, 04:59:02 PM

Author Topic: Powell will clash with Thompson at Indoor Season Opener at MSG on Jan.28th!  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2012-01-04/asafa-powell-indoor-track-season/52380154/1

Asafa Powell says he's healthy, can catch Usain Bolt
By Karen Rosen, Special for USA TODAY

With his explosive start, Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell would seem a natural for the shorter races on the indoor circuit.

"I don't like indoors for the mere fact that it's so cold at that time of year," said Powell, who hasn't raced a winter season in eight years. "I think I'll run faster to the building than inside."

That building will be New York's Madison Square Garden, where Powell, 29, will compete in the 50-meter dash in the inaugural U.S. Open on Jan. 28.

Jumpstarting his training with early races is part of Powell's plan to burn up the track outdoors, where he longs to beat countryman Usain Bolt at the London Olympics. Powell has never won an individual gold medal at the Games, placing fifth at both Beijing and Athens.

"I think most likely this will be my last Olympic Games so I'm going all out for this one," Powell said.

Powell held the world record in the 100 (9.74 seconds) before Bolt commandeered it in 2008 and lowered it to 9.58 in 2009.

"I'm very confident," Powell said. "The thing is, I know my downfalls, I know my problems, and my problems are injuries."

Powell had the fastest time going into the 2011 world championships in South Korea in August (9.78), but was forced to withdraw because of a groin strain. "I know that I can run some very fast times, the times that Usain is running right now," said Powell, whose personal-best is 9.72. "If I don't beat Usain, I think I'll beat my personal best. I can't control what Usain does. I can only control myself."

Injuries also marred Powell's last indoor campaign in 2004, another reason he and coach Stephen Francis opted for the long layoff. Powell hurt his groin at one meet and tore his hamstring at the other, "so that kind of scared me from indoors," Powell said. "I'm over all of that."

Just to be safe, he's bringing a physical therapist to races. Powell plans to run in Birmingham, England, on Feb. 18, and the world indoor championships in Istanbul in March, then open his outdoor season in April.

Powell ran a personal best of 6.56 seconds in a 60-meter dash in the Garden in 2004, but this will be his first 50. He'll face a field that includes Richard Thompson of Trinidad and Tobago, the 100-meter silver medalist in Beijing, and Justin Gatlin of the U.S., the 2004 Olympic 100 champion.

The world record in the rarely run 50 is 5.56 seconds, set by Canada's Donovan Bailey in 1996. That equates to 6.43 seconds in the 60, said Powell's agent Paul Doyle. "It's a lot to ask for, but he does run well in his first races, so I wouldn't put it out of the question."

With Powell's stellar start, the race could be over before anyone catches him. The second half of the 100, though, has cost him titles.

"Over the years, before everyone came on, I was the only one out there running very fast," he said. "I got quite comfortable and it became a habit for me to slow down before I get to the finish line.

"I need to just power through."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:43:01 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I feel a good year in store for Richard and I think it was a great choice he made to switch to John Smith.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Powell is the odds on favourite to win this race, even with his very limited indoor experience. However I am even more interested to see what improvements Richard has made, especially in his technique over the past 3 months. Could careless about time at this point (unless he runs something like 5.9) of the season. T-minus 3 weeks.....
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Should be good.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>