April 29, 2024, 12:18:57 AM

Author Topic: SOSA—an inspiration for T&T  (Read 770 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
SOSA—an inspiration for T&T
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/monday-january-16-2012/sosa%E2%80%94-inspiration-tt

SOSA—an inspiration for T&T
Published: Monday, January 16, 2012
Dr Cliff Bertrand

A national awards programme is one of the means by which the society meets its obligation to encourage and inspire the advancement of sports in all branches of our community trees. The sports awards were created to recognise the sports achievement of its serving and retired members of all disciplines of our people. It brings together our people under one flag, an awareness that is brought to consciousness as a national commodity. Trinidad and Tobago’s first Spirit of Sports Awards (SOSA) was hosted by Universal Sports TV Sports analysis and T&T’s multiple Olympic & World Games medalist Ato Boldon. He is not just a talented on-air personality, but also one of the most universally admired and respected people associated with Track & Field. The awards ceremony was held at the Hyatt Regency in Port-of-Spain, the nation’s capital on December 28.

I’m particularly proud of this moment in time when a national talent has been chosen to host the inaugural awards. This event should turn out to be the Republic’s Sporting Oscars; the Spirit Awards would come along every year and should be the anxiously-awaited, crowning moment of a season’s worth of indelible achievements. With so many divisions up in the air, nationals should be enthusiastically waiting to see who will be taking home the hardware. It could very well turn out to be a humbling experience to think that we have been a part of this year’s crowning moment in the history of sports in T&T. Santa Claus continued to be on his merry way handing gifts to all and more importantly to those who performed in different fields of Sport. Yes, the Ministry of Sport through the Sport Company has given gifts to group of six and by the time this article is read there would have been many more. It was interesting to note and most gratifying to read of the many types of awards given out.

This is most encouraging and the powers that be should be congratulated for introducing the many new fields. In addition, how would one equate the Gold Medalist at the Commonwealth Games against that of the Pan Am Games? How would you fathom a numerical and emotional divide without proper documentation or representation or for those matter officials who cannot present their case for their nominee? Congratulations to all who received and to those who shall receive in this new year. You have all achieved. You have done the country proud. I salute you! I thank the Guardian for offering me this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what is in the news, documenting the historics of our time and place in history, your thoughts, your feelings, your passion. Good health to all in the new year!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>