March 29, 2024, 02:42:56 AM

Author Topic: Thompson keen on sprint success  (Read 832 times)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson keen on sprint success
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »

SOURCE:- http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,153688.html

Thompson keen on sprint success

By JOEL BAILEY Saturday, January 14 2012

SPRINTER Richard Thompson, who copped a pair of silver medals at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, is keen on repeating those feats at this year’s Games in London, England.

The 26-year-old took silver at both the 100-metre dash (behind Jamaica’s Usain Bolt) and the 4x100m relay (behind Jamaica) at Beijing.

“We have limited time before we have our trials (in June),” he said, referring to the Trinidad and Tobago trials. “I started training in October. Things have been going well thus far and I’m just working on trying to make significant improvements on the last couple of years,” he added.

“Hopefully, in 2012, I’ll be able to repeat my performance from 2008, and better.”

The highlight of his 2011 season took place on August 13, when he smashed the TT 100m record at the Sagicor NAAA Open Track and Field Championships at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

His time of 9.85 seconds, the ninth fastest in the all-time lists, lowered Ato Boldon’s previous mark of 9.86 (which he set four times during the late 1990s).

But, at the IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea later that month, he failed to advance to the 100m final, which was won by Yohan Blake of Jamaica.

“It was up and down for me,” Thompson conceded. “There were good moments and then there were dull moments. Anyone wants to perform at their best when it matters the most and I wasn’t able to do that.

“(In) the World Championships, being eliminated in the semi-finals, it was a huge disappointment,” he added. “But that in itself was a form of motivation for me to do better (this) year.

“I’m just working hard right now, working smart and trying to control what I can,” Thompson said. “Everything else is in the Lord’s hands.”

About his immediate plans, he stated, “(it’s) just training right now, probably run a couple of relays.

“It’s just a matter of getting myself ready for when it matters most in August. But, right now, it’s just training.”

And he’s philosophical about the public expectations towards him this year.

“I think after last year, and the year before, I don’t think the expectations are as high,” he acknowledged.

“There were a lot of expectations in ’09 (for the World Championships in Berlin) but, as far as 2012 (is concerned), I can’t say that there are lots of high expectations because Bolt have been dominant.

Thompson continued, “Blake came along and has been doing extremely well. There are other athletes who have been doing extremely well.

“As far as expectations, I wouldn’t go as far as saying that Trinidad expects me to win. But I know what I expect from myself and that’s what matters most to me right now.

“I expect to continue to work hard and get much better results (this) year,” he ended.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>