March 28, 2024, 04:19:33 PM

Author Topic: Brent Sancho Thread  (Read 50257 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News: Brent Sancho is the new Minister of Sport
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
That is satire, Sando Prince

The Late O’clock News is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within thelateoclocknews.com are fiction, and presumably fake news.

Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:12:38 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »
I just wonder,how many sporting personalities in TT would have refused the job as Minister of Sport,and as bad as I hear the UNC have been ,I suspect the PNM is no better at the moment,there seems to be quite some in-fighting in the party.The PNM don't appear to be the united cohesive force it once was,chances are they could be no better or could even be worse.You cannot help but give credit to KPB for some actions she has taken against some members of her party,she has acted with principle,something that is not known in politics.
My feelings about Sancho is,he thinks the UNC will be returned to power because,there is no doubt KPB and the UNC have done quite a bit to improve the lives of many,it is visible.If the UNC wins,Sancho will be the Minister of Sport,I expect he will get regular cuss,just like JW got when he was a UNC government Minister.

You having a laugh
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »
Jack Warner on Gary, Ramlogan and Sancho.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/news/Jack-Warner-on-the-firing-of-Ramlogan-and-Griffith-290599251.html

I had no idea Sancho was actually employed by SIS... or is that just ole talk by Jack?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
Let me ask a serious question. Can it be considered unpatriotic to turn down an offer by a prime minister to serve in his/her administration? I wonder if people feel forced to take up posts when the pm calls..

STEUPS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »
Frico, you correct about the move the PM made by drafting Brent. I think is a good political move. I don't know how much Brent can do before the election. But saying she has principles by firing the AG and Griffith is bit far fetched. When she hired Jack and had him prancing up down doing govt work while squeezing Brent and the rest of the Soca Warriors balls. Jack  left the TTFA is so much debt and have Tim taking the blame for His indiscretions. He refused to give them the money, which she in turn came and pay them.  She knew all about Jack, FIFA and Sancho. That is principle?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
Jack Warner on Gary, Ramlogan and Sancho.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/news/Jack-Warner-on-the-firing-of-Ramlogan-and-Griffith-290599251.html

I had no idea Sancho was actually employed by SIS... or is that just ole talk by Jack?

This is Jack propagating untruths. Daryan Marcell on I95 repeated this on his show and I wrote to demand that he corrected his statement and issue an apology. It's OK people saying Sancho is unqualified, a bad choice etc, that's their opinion and they are entitled to share it but broadcasters have a responsibility to report the truth, not repeat lies.

I suppose, technically, you can say Sancho was paid by S.I.S. as well as Bankers Insurance, Ministry of Sport, Toyota, PPGPL, Oscar Francois, Gatorade, and many others as his salary from Central was generated through sponsorship deals, but to state that he was employed by SIS is just mischief making.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2015, 11:32:33 PM »
This is Jack propagating untruths. Daryan Marcell on I95 repeated this on his show and I wrote to demand that he corrected his statement and issue an apology. It's OK people saying Sancho is unqualified, a bad choice etc, that's their opinion and they are entitled to share it but broadcasters have a responsibility to report the truth, not repeat lies.

I suppose, technically, you can say Sancho was paid by S.I.S. as well as Bankers Insurance, Ministry of Sport, Toyota, PPGPL, Oscar Francois, Gatorade, and many others as his salary from Central was generated through sponsorship deals, but to state that he was employed by SIS is just mischief making.

Thanks for the info... but did he ignore you?  I would.  Why are you writing demanding apologies?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2015, 03:03:04 AM »
I just wonder,how many sporting personalities in TT would have refused the job as Minister of Sport,and as bad as I hear the UNC have been ,I suspect the PNM is no better at the moment,there seems to be quite some in-fighting in the party.The PNM don't appear to be the united cohesive force it once was,chances are they could be no better or could even be worse.You cannot help but give credit to KPB for some actions she has taken against some members of her party,she has acted with principle,something that is not known in politics.
My feelings about Sancho is,he thinks the UNC will be returned to power because,there is no doubt KPB and the UNC have done quite a bit to improve the lives of many,it is visible.If the UNC wins,Sancho will be the Minister of Sport,I expect he will get regular cuss,just like JW got when he was a UNC government Minister.

When did you become a stand-up comedy act Frico?

Tell me where next you are appearing and I'll do my best to attend the show as you do seem to have some comedy talent and I do like to support my fellow SWO posters whenever I can.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:04:39 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2015, 03:06:01 AM »
Frico, you correct about the move the PM made by drafting Brent. I think is a good political move. I don't know how much Brent can do before the election. But saying she has principles by firing the AG and Griffith is bit far fetched. When she hired Jack and had him prancing up down doing govt work while squeezing Brent and the rest of the Soca Warriors balls. Jack  left the TTFA is so much debt and have Tim taking the blame for His indiscretions. He refused to give them the money, which she in turn came and pay them.  She knew all about Jack, FIFA and Sancho. That is principle?

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:15:41 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
I like the appointment. Sancho is someone who is more 'one of us' and less of the establishment. He would be a good candidate for keeping the TTFA on its toes.
Hart for president

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »
HISLOP: SANCHO WORTHY OF SPORTS MINISTER POST
TTFA Media

Former National Team goalkeeper Shaka Hislop is backing his ex-2006 World Cup teammate Brent Sancho to fulfill his duties as Minister of Sport with distinction.
Hislop, currently an ESPN football analyst and commentator, played alongside Sancho for several years on the national team, both appearing at the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany, and also involved in the settlement for outstanding monies with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association last year. That matter stemmed back to 2006 under the TTFF and was settled under current TTFA President Raymond Tim Kee.
Hislop stated, “Congrats and good luck to my friend and former teammate, Brent Sancho, on his appointment as the new Minster of Sport. I have always advocated that sportsmen can and should play a prominent role in the administration of the game and Brent has been deemed worthy to do exactly that.”
The former West Ham and Newcastle United custodian believes Sancho could make a difference in the Ministry, inspite of the fact that there is a General Election approaching.
“Let’s not hide behind from the fact that the position he has inherited does not come with a mountain of challenges, or that with a general election just around the corner, he doesn’t have much time in restoring the credibility of his Ministry. But when you are asked to step up, to make a difference, you have to heed that call, regardless of the trials and tribulations that are staring you in the face.
“Where some have questioned his appointment, or dither at the prospects, Brent has again given himself fully to the betterment of sport in T&T. That alone is worthy of support,” Hislop concluded.

------------------------------

CONCACAF president welcomes Sancho’s appointment
TTFA Media

Thursday, February 5 2015

Newly appointed Sports Minister Brent Sancho has been welcomed to his position by CONCACAF president Jeffrey Webb.
In a letter to Sancho, which was issued yesterday, Webb wrote, “on behalf of CONCACAF, please accept my sincerest congratulations on your appointment as Minister of Sport in the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.
“This is an outstanding accomplishment, and one which I know you are very passionate about,” Webb continued. “I am sure that your experiences as a former Trinidad and Tobago footballer and member of the 2006 Soca Warriors squad will bring a fresh perspective to sports in Trinidad, taking it to new heights.”
The CONCACAF boss added, “I wish you all the best in this new position and look forward to working with you in this capacity. To this end, I would be delighted for you to present CONCACAF with your vision and plans for football in Trinidad and Tobago, to determine how best FIFA and CONCACAF can fit into that vision.”

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:12:58 AM by Flex »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
Socapro,Yuh cyah pay to see me,fuget it. ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:27:30 PM by frico »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »

Thanks for the info... but did he ignore you?  I would.  Why are you writing demanding apologies?

Because it was me that heard it. Not much point me asking you, or Flex or Socapro to write to say I was offended. I heard it and knew it to be untrue, so I would like him to apologise for repeating untruths. Nothing complicated it that.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2015, 08:17:12 PM »

When did you become a stand-up comedy act Frico?

Tell me where next you are appearing and I'll do my best to attend the show as you do seem to have some comedy talent and I do like to support my fellow SWO posters whenever I can.

are you setup for pay-per-view?  what's the venue?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2015, 05:11:11 AM »
Griffith willing to work with Sancho
T&T Newsday Reports.

DR RUPERT GRIFFITH, former Minister of Sports, is willing to work with his successor Senator Brent Sancho, during the transition period from one Minister to another.

Dr Griffith, who held the post as Sports Minister from August until last Monday, described his six-month period at the helm as “excellent”.

“When I went in there, it was a difficult period, everyone knew that, when (Anil) Roberts stepped down from the Ministry, and we had to stabilise things and pull it back up, which I think is what we did. It had always been a temporary appointment. It was a temporary arrangement. So (the Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar) made a decision now and I’m happy for Brent Sancho.”

He continued, “I propose to work with him as much as he would want me too, and assist him in discharging the remit of the Ministry. I’m very pleased to do that with him. I am glad for him and I wish him well.

Concerning Sancho’s ability to cope with the pressures of being a Cabinet Minister, Dr Griffith noted, “there were a number of initiatives and I’ll take time to go over it with him. I’m very pleased and happy, and I’ll be willing to work with him.”

Reflecting on his time as Sports Minister, Dr Griffith said, “in terms of accomplishment, you’ll remember the game we had with the female football players (on December 2 against Ecuador) right here in Trinidad. Getting ready for that, putting things in place for that successful game I think was one of the biggest challenges.

“And then also to regularise the grant funding. I’ve been able to look at the policy to make it more efficient. In the six months, those were some great challenges. Of course, meeting with the various sporting governing bodies, finding out their plans was also a good experience,” he ended.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2015, 05:14:07 AM »
Sancho names principles for sporting growth
T&T Newsday Reports.

NEWLY-APPOINTED Sports Minister Brent Sancho is suggesting three key principles to National Governing Bodies for the development of sport.

In a meeting on Friday with executives of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) and the Trinidad and Tobago Netball Association (TTNA), the former national footballer listed value for money, an athlete-centred philosophy and national pride in sport as critical to success.

Sancho indicated his willingness to assist in the improvement of all National Governing Bodies (NGBs) in the achievement of those principles, in collaboration with the Sports Ministry and the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT).

He also indicated his interest in enabling national associations to improve their development programmes by increasing participation levels, creating opportunities for talent identification, and eliminating the duplication of efforts in each discipline.

Additionally, he noted the need for NGBs to ensure compliance with national policy as it relates to sport, not merely in relation to requests for funding, but also placing issues of safety and diversity in the forefront of the program planning process.

Sancho also pledged his support for the Olympic Committee’s #10gold24 campaign (the thrust for Trinidad and Tobago athletes to win 10 gold medals at the 2024 Olympic Games).

Commenting on his first meeting with the new Minister, TTOC president Brian Lewis said he had found the discussions to be “very positive, candid and solution-oriented, and the importance of the Sports Ministry, the Sport Company and the TTOC working together to improve good governance in national sporting organisations was also emphasised.”

Lewis added that transparency and accountability and putting the athletes’ best interests first figured prominently in the hour-long meeting.

Sancho will meet next with representatives of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) and Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) tomorrow.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2015, 05:25:14 AM »
MEP,I'll tell yuh de same ting ah tell Socapro,yuh cyah pay to see me. ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2015, 06:32:29 PM »
What handover and what transition Griffith talking bout. What he did during his cobeau sweat?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
FS get wok with de Minister of Sports, nice man.

But is there a law for having a foreign born work for the government?

Next thing we go hear is Terry Fenwick coming back soon for wok to.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »

Well, actually, I work for the Minister, not the Ministry or govt, so there is none of the civil service package available to me. When he goes-I go!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2015, 11:12:02 PM »
Well, actually, I work for the Minister, not the Ministry or govt, so there is none of the civil service package available to me. When he goes-I go!!

Jobs for the boys!  Where elan?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2015, 12:46:39 AM »

Jobs for the boys!  Where elan?
:devil:

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »
Judge Mr Sancho on the job he does and not before hand. You only have to look at the hard work that has been done at Central to see that the guy isn't a slouch, and gets off his backside to make things happen. Too many people are quick to type rubbish, but where are they when it comes to getting off their backside and helping?......... That's right they are still at home moaning  about things!!
If things don't go well then have a moan but let the guy at least try before you dismiss his efforts.
For me its Good Luck and I hope you prove the doubters wrong
GB
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2015, 05:42:23 AM »
Critical role for Minister Sancho.
By Anand Rampersad (Guardian).

For the sake of sports, let us hope that the new Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, is the last until the general election is held.

Instability at the helm or perception of instability does not instill confidence in stakeholders especially the private sector who will be called upon to provide funding where the state cannot provide.

Sancho is the third Minister of Sport and second since the resignation of Anil Roberts, on July 31, 2014.

The change in leadership at the Ministry of Sport has not received the same kind of critical analysis as those of the Attorney General and National Security.

However, it is important to recognise that approximately $2.3 billion dollars have been budgeted for sport 2011-15 (see various Appropriation Acts 2011-15, www.ttparliament.org).

The amount of monies allocated to sport demands greater scrutiny of the functions and operations of the Ministry. This inquiry should be twofold: firstly to ensure that goals and objectives of the Ministry are met and secondly to ensure a positive return on the expenditure of taxpayers’ monies.

The assessment of the Ministry can only be undertaken if there are clearly defined policies, objectives and goals. These must be subjected to rigorous monitoring and evaluation conducted by independent bodies such as the UWI. For example, the research of the Mona School of Business and Management (MSBM), UWI to assess the financial impact of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) on the Caribbean in 2013 and 2014. The Ministry’s website (www.sport.gov.tt/the-ministry/strategic-intent-and-direction), states that its ‘Strategic Intent and Direction’ is based on four strategic themes:

1. Sport for All/Total Participation in Sport where there is a society in which the majority of citizens are participating in sport.

2. High Performance Sport where athlete medal count is continuously increasing.

3. Sport as an Industry where:

(a) New sport businesses are established and operation successfully

(b) Sport tourism is making significant contributions to GDP

4. Improve the overall efficiently and efficacy of the Ministry through the use of ICT to increase efficiency to all stakeholders.

Based on the aforementioned strategic themes the following information should be available:

1. In terms of Sports for All which falls under the theme of Sports Development-

• What robustly collected research data has been collected on participation in sport and physical activities? How many people in Trinidad and Tobago are physically active and this information should be based on geographical location, age, gender, ethnicity, religion, disabilities, social class and working people? This type of data is what drives sports for all programmes in countries such as England, Canada, and New Zealand.

• What percentage of the National Sport Policy 2002 have been implemented? What percentage of the various programmes such as ‘Women and Girls in Sport’, and ‘Taking Sport to Rural Areas’ have been implemented and how much continuity is taking place?

• How data is linked to addressing issues of growing non-communicable diseases such as heart attacks, diabetes especially Type II and growing cases of obesity among the population 15-64 years.

• How is the Sports for All programme linked to the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) as have been done in countries such as Ethiopia, Ghana, Mozambique and Papua New Guinea? (www.un.org/millenniumgoals/bkgd.shtml).

• What is the total expenditure on Sports for All?

2. In relation to High Performance Sport:

• What are the resources (financial, human resources- coaches, trainers, medical-infrastructure, etc.) available to assist athletes?

• What is the total expenditure on High Performance Sport?

3. With respect to Sport as an Industry:

• What new sport businesses have been established or are in the pipeline?

• What is the status of the Sport Tourism Policy?

• What programmes are to be rolled out to promote sport tourism?

• What have and are the projected benefits of sport tourism to the GDP?

• In what way are the new sporting facilities (swimming, cycling and tennis) are incorporated into the sport tourism policy and implementation programmes?

4. Increase use of ICT to increase efficiency:

• What have been the improvements through the use of ICT?

• What is the status of professional development of sporting bodies under the Ministry and what measures are in place to ensure that national governing bodies comply with the requisites of the Ministry?

• What has been the costs of these ICT improvements?

It will be foolhardy to expect Minister Sancho to make any significant impact on all four of the Ministry’s strategic themes given his short timeframe to work with.

He is caught between a rock and a hard place.

The newness of the job, the power he wields and the desire to stamp his leadership style may result in goals and objectives which are practical for medium to long term development of sports and sports development.

However, in the short run they may be idealistically ambitious although he may not think so and understandably so to some extent. The questions raised are for all vested interest - Ministry of Sport, the public, sponsors, media etc.

The objective is to continuously seek to critically improve on the delivery of sporting services both in terms of quality and the efficiency of taxpayers’ monies expended.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »

If you are the adviser to the Minister as a bff of minds yes when he goes you go but FYI in case you do not know which I doubt you will receive a gratuity for the period you are employed.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:58 PM »

If you are the adviser to the Minister as a bff of minds yes when he goes you go but FYI in case you do not know which I doubt you will receive a gratuity for the period you are employed.

Hence why I stated  so there is none of the civil service package available to me !!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:41 AM »
Opportunity to market T&T, says Sancho
By Roger Seepersad (Express).

Former Soca Warrior and recently-appointed Minister of Sport Brent Sancho wants to transform sport from a pastime into a financially viable business and a real money earner for local clubs and stakeholders. Sancho has already held fruitful discussions with various sporting governing bodies and a key part of his message to them is working towards making sports a business.

Speaking at a press conference at the Ministry of Tourism on Monday to announce T&T as hosts for seven Caribbean Premier League matches, including the semi-finals and final, Sancho said he recognised the money-earning potential of sport and insisted that the time was right for T&T to join the party.

“International franchise sport is a multi-billion dollar industry and I have made it a key part of my message to all of the sporting organisations that we must work together to make sports a business here in Trinidad and Tobago,” said Sancho.

With construction of the Cycling Velodrome, Aquatics Centre and National Tennis Centre all moving apace and the government fully behind the Sport Tourism thrust as a means of diversifying the oil-based economy, Sancho believes hosting the CPL semis and final will be an ideal opportunity to market T&T to the world.

“The CPL represents the ideal opportunity to prove to the world that franchise sport can work in our region,” said Sancho. “Further it is proof that we can host an event of international relevance and appeal.”

“The last time the CPL was hosted here in T&T there was a significant return on investment and the positive economic impact was felt across several key markets and industry sectors,” he added. The minister also wants to sell the idea of sport tourism “in generating the right amounts of local investment in order to boost our capacity to host regional and international sporting events.”

With the CPL being broadcasted across the world, Sancho said the capital of Port of Spain will become the focus of hundreds of thousands of international viewers and will be “an opportunity to showcase our people, our culture, and our talents.’’

“Indeed the way we watch cricket is unique to our people. We do it with a vibes and rhythm that is part of who we are. Trinidad and Tobago is the entertainment capital of the Caribbean which goes hand in glove with the fastest growing form of entertainment globally...sport.

“Television broadcasting rights aside, many countries are reaping the rewards of improved infrastructure and the injection of resources into athletes and teams which cover all angles of the industry. “It is time for us to join the party and reap the rewards that comes with global positioning in the sports industry,” Sancho added. The CPL will be played between June 21 and July 26.

RELATED NEWS

Government gives TTCB $250,000
T&T Newsday Reports.

TRINIDAD and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) have received a cheque valued at $250,000 from the Government, as well as accolades for their management of the sport in the twin island republic.

Newly appointed Sports Minister Brent Sancho praised the TTCB saying the cricketing governing body has “exemplified good governance” and is being rewarded.

“We had a long discussion…and I think it is the first time Mr Bassarath has left the Ministry smiling,” Sancho told the media following a press conference at the Ministry of Tourism.

“We have had a lot of acrimony in the past but I said to him we cannot right the wrongs of the past but we will work in partnership moving forward.”

TTCB president Azim Bassarath complained that the board received no financial assistance since 2011, and it was owed funds which have severely hampered the organisation’s ability to administer its programmes.

“We presented a cheque to Mr Bassarath for $250,000 because I believe that the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board has exemplified good governance in sports in terms of what is required to get funding for various programmes,” said Sancho.

“They have done the requirements that we need in the Ministry of Sport and we want to reward and show the other sporting bodies what good governance looks like.”

Sancho, a former national footballer who became the new sports minister following last week’s Cabinet shake-up, says Government and TTCB have agreed to partner on a number of initiatives.

They include the use of the country’s cricket icons to facilitate training camps during Easter and summer for young cricketers. (CMC)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:58:40 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2015, 02:55:45 AM »
Sport Ministry no ATM
By ANDRE BAGOO (Newsday).

THE MINISTRY of Sport is not an ATM.

That’s the catchphrase new Minister of Sport Brent Sancho has been using at meetings with stakeholders to describe the Ministry’s policy under his tenure in the face of him receiving requests from sporting organisations for money and equipment.

Sancho, who was sworn in last week, has spent the last few days meeting with organisations and, invariably, these organisations have had one request.

“They all ask for money,” the Minister told Newsday yesterday. “I have gone out and met about seven or eight organisations so far.” However, he said, there was a need for organisations to be able to stand on their own feet.

“We want to see different sporting organisations become self-sufficient financially in whatever they do,” Sancho said. “We are now going into an era where we are seeing development in that direction.”

The Minister said it has become difficult to get corporate sponsors to fund organisations due to the risk of controversy and maladministration. He noted sport has, unfortunately, become an arena tainted by scandal, citing the defunct Life Sport programme as one example.

“We understand some of their plights,” Sancho said. “It is a challenging environment especially when sport, for the first time in a very long time, has a negative stigma attached to it. When you look at the back pages of newspapers there is always an administrative scandal for all these different things. It is very difficult to stimulate corporate Trinidad because of it.” At the same time, the Minister said, State funds need to be better controlled and regulated.

“They need to be more understanding that these are taxpayers’ dollars,” the Minister said. “This is not to blame the sporting organisation by any stretch of the imagination. There are challenges. But some sporting organisations are run like the mama and papa parlours. We have to help them.” Sancho said in the past, decisions in relation to funding were not made based on merit but on personal opinion. He said the drying up of corporate sponsorship has been a long time in the making.

“I don’t think it’s a single problem with a single programme such as Life Sport,” the Minister said. “When you look at issues that relate to corporate sponsorship, this has been going on for many years. People did not just wake up after Life Sport and then this started happening. This has been happening for a long time.”

In relation to this country hosting the Caribbean Premiere League (CPL), Sancho said he would like to see value for money and he has met with CPL CEO Damien O’Donohoe.

“We had a long chat,” Sancho said. “We want to make sure that with the CPL we get value for money. When you bring in that plethora of cricket stars you have to have some value. You must have some projects.”

At a meeting of the Rotary Club of Port-of-Spain, held at Fitzblackman Drive, Port-of-Spain, O’Donohoe praised the minister’s approach, saying Sancho was different from other Sport Ministers he has met.

“I was really impressed by the fact that he was very unlike most Ministers of Sport,” O’Donohoe said. “Normally they simply ask, ‘How many boxes (in the stands) do we get?’ or ‘How many tickets?’ The focus for Sancho was the human side in terms of what we could do in the community. What we can do is the fact that we will have some of the best cricket players in the world here in Trinidad for two and a half weeks. How will we use that to encourage the children of Trinidad to make them realise that whatever they want to do with their life, with the right attitude and with the right discipline they can achieve anything they want?” He said CPL sold 220,000 tickets last year.

On the practice of allowing sporting stadia to be used for events such as concerts, Sancho said this was now standard internationally.

“The athlete side of me will say no, but the business side says of course these events should be allowed,” the Minister said. “It is done all over the world. That is the norm. What we do have to develop is a facility that is multi-faceted.”

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:00 AM »
Everyone want ah " Life Support" handout- precedent was set that sports ministry was giving away free money!!

1]; } ?>