April 24, 2024, 04:21:30 AM

Author Topic: need help here  (Read 2666 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
need help here
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
Fellers i goin and start bike riding up the chancelor and need a good bike. any tips??? i really dont wanna spend more than $2000 if i dont have to............
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: need help here
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »
Biking is not a cheap sport....

I built my bike here....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
Fellers i goin and start bike riding up the chancelor and need a good bike. any tips??? i really dont wanna spend more than $2000 if i dont have to............

The most important decision you can make when buying a bike... aluminum frame, aluminum wheels (not steel).  Try taking a Kmart/Toys 'R Us bike up any hill and you'll soon understand why.  Second most important... get a good comfortable seat.  Spring extra fuh de new ones that end under yuh butt and that don't extend up between yuh legs.

Brand name and all them other things others could help you with... I real basic.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
So I took a look at Chancellor Hill, Morvant you will do good with a hybrid (cross between a road bike and mountain bike). The frame is important (CroMo tubing should be within your budget), you will also want a good crank set, derailer, shifters, pedals and saddle. I have those click in pedals and the shoes, makes a huge difference. I would recommend Gatorskin tires, since the roads in Trinidad have so much debris, it should give you at least a year of mileage. Cannondale and Fuji make some good bikes within your budget and it should fulfill all the requirements for satisfactory riding.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »
Doh study them fellas with they fancy bikes, go with the classics. My grandfather ride a Humber for years, and he still alive!

Or a Raleigh
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
thanks fellers going hunting tomor. increased my budget a little too.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Doh study them fellas with they fancy bikes, go with the classics. My grandfather ride a Humber for years, and he still alive!

Or a Raleigh

:rotfl: dias for round de savannah on a Sunday evening and he could take a ride through the gardens but if he make it up Chancellor on that he bound to build some serious calf muscles.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »

Or a Raleigh

:rotfl: dias for round de savannah on a Sunday evening and he could take a ride through the gardens but if he make it up Chancellor on that he bound to build some serious calf muscles.
Dah man geh the bredder ah "big ben" tuh ride yes!   :rotfl: :rotfl:  he go be pushin dah big ben more than riding it.   :rotfl: :rotfl:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
Dah big ben come well equipted with pump and chain guard @ the ready yes. boyyy the good ole days, nutten could beat the good ole days.

PS: every body gran fardder had ah big ben, that was the poor man's toyota, and yuh couldn't get ah ride off dah ben fuh shyte, and if yuh tek it widout papa's permission, well look ting! :o  that was an absurdity in itself, it would've been better if yuh had robbed the penny bank. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:34:15 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
A time I ride in school with my neighbour big ben...he get it from a ole woman who get lick down in a accident round the savannah.

That raleigh is a bess bike...yuh make 4-5 crank with that and is level speed. It was smooth too...much better than the chopper and then the plastic 5 spoke rim bmx I had after. Also the bell used to make real noise when yuh ring it.

Even mounting and dismounting that bike was a art...yuh had was to put one foot on the pedal, push off like a scooter and then swing yuh next leg over when the bike was in motion.

But Morvant...go either Mikes Bikes on the ave or Gene Samuel place (trex) in woobrook near pizza hut, turn down anna st.

Get a decent road bike and take yuh time on the corners coming down...is both car and people yuh hadda dodge.

But Courts have plenty cheap bike too...1200 and ting. They go work just as well.

Bike come like tugs....it serving a purpose but yuh pay more money for flash and lightweightness.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Dah big ben come well equipted with pump and chain guard @ the ready yes. boyyy the good ole days, nutten could beat the good ole days.

PS: every body gran fardder had ah big ben, that was the poor man's toyota, and yuh couldn't get ah ride off dah ben fuh shyte, and if yuh tek it widout papa's permission, well look ting! :o  that was an absurdity in itself, it would've been better if yuh had robbed the penny bank. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Why yuh wouldn't get in trouble for taking the man car? He have to get to work before the whistle blow and you riding he transportation up and down the place like is a toy.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

Why yuh wouldn't get in trouble for taking the man car? He have to get to work before the whistle blow and you riding he transportation up and down the place like is a toy.
Meee!! i did fraid dah bike real bad. when dah oleman take he time and wash dah bike and oil down the chain and polish dem spokes with ah cheese coth i wasn't going within fifty feet ah dat! meh older brother on the other hand was plenty thick / harden no arse, he would tek it every now and den for ah spin, only tuh get some serious ring up ears and gauva whip from mammy.  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
Tell meh something allyuh, ppl does still exercise up chancellor hill?? :o i remember back in the days running up chancellor @ least three times ah week, but i stop when the lion escape from emperor valley zoo and was attacking cars going up and down the hill.

it took ah whole 5 days fuh dem tuh catch dah lion, after dat i blank that scene. chancellor hill was always bad news, it had ah whole heap ah rapermen who used to lime up on the look-out poorman's hotel, and if yuh brushing ah ting they used tuh open the door and rush de ting wid big cutlass in they hands.

that was the first place in T&T where ppl was robing ppl, @ cutlass point. :rotfl:  my breddren took ah ting up there @ night tuh the look-out wid ah box ah royal castle playing romantic, two saddiss rush him wid ah cutlass and tek way he wallet and the box ah chicken, is ah lucky ting them fellas way hungry and broke, or else they would tek he gyul too.   :nailbiting:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »

Meee!! i did fraid dah bike real bad. when dah oleman take he time and wash dah bike and oil down the chain and polish dem spokes with ah cheese coth i wasn't going within fifty feet ah dat! meh older brother on the other hand was plenty thick / harden no arse, he would tek it every now and den for ah spin, only tuh get some serious ring up ears and gauva whip from mammy.  :rotfl: :rotfl:

hahaha all yuh bring back some good memories here, my grand pa use to do the same thing, Sunday he wash and oil he bike, and de chrome parts he rubbing Brasso on it. My grandpa also mounted a basket on de side with the chain guard, when he wukkin Texaco he carrying he tools in that, when he wukking part time P-a-P golf course, he cutlass and rake in that, when he wukking garden, he hoe, spray can mounted on the side and when he ready to play golf, he bag and cart on de side too... When he ready to give us ah toe, meh cousin standing in de basket and me sitting on the inside frame. Ah doh think the he Raleigh had a battery light, I think it had a generator. Funny thing is when he decide to buy a car he actually bought a Toyota Corolla.  :beermug:

I beg to differ that bikes are like tugs. A skilled baller can have a great performance in cheap tugs, but a skilled cyclist can't have the same performance on a huffy, all the extras is what makes the bike.

giggsy11

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
The bread bike was a serious work out. Heavy, cumbersom and hard tuh control.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
When I was a kid, a 3 speed chopper was handed down to meh, during holiday times all riding: we knocking or playing ball all over central trinidad. We rolling into neighboring villages (Parforce Boys organization aka PBO) and we challenging dey sweat. Sometimes we hitting flowerpot for ah swim too..! Is tow, from bmx with stunt lugs, mongoose etc... fun times

1]; } ?>