April 25, 2024, 04:15:29 PM

Author Topic: Davis now a T&T athlete  (Read 3195 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Davis now a T&T athlete
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
Davis now a T&T athlete
World record-holder switches allegiance

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jan 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM ECT

World record-holder Wayne Davis II is now a Trinidad and Tobago athlete.

At the 2009 Pan American Junior (under-20) Championships, here in T&T, Davis struck gold in the men's 110 metres hurdles in 13.08 seconds, a new world junior record (hurdles height 99 centimetres).

However, he achieved the feat as a member of the United States team.

Davis, though, has decided to switch allegiance.

On the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) website, www.iaaf.org, his change from US to T&T athlete is confirmed. The sprint hurdler became eligible to compete for T&T on August 4, 2011.
Davis was born in 1991 in North Carolina. However, his parents, Wayne and Anne Marie Davis, are Trinidadians.

Their daughter, Dannielle Davis is also a sprint hurdler. She competed for T&T at the 2010 and 2011 editions of the Carifta Games.

In 2007, in Ostrava, Czech Republic, Wayne II earned the World Youth (under-18) Championship boys' 110m hurdles title in a world youth record time of 13.18 seconds (height 91.4cm).

Davis is now 20 and attends Texas A&M University. Last Saturday, at the Texas 10 Team Invitational, he got to the line in 7.91 seconds to top the men's 60m hurdles field. In the preliminary round, Davis clocked 8.00.

The T&T athlete also competed in the 200m. He finished first in his section and ninth overall in 21.85 seconds.

In his season opener, at the Reveille Invitational in Texas, on December 10, Davis triumphed in the 60m hurdles in 7.87 seconds, and finished eighth in the 60m dash in 6.95.

National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president, Ephraim Serrette told the Express, yesterday, he is happy about Davis' decision to compete for T&T.

"We welcome him. It's good for Trinidad and Tobago. Davis has been progressing well, and having him is also a plus for the sprint relay."

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Davis now a T&T athlete
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
Great news

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »
Super!!!!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
You're welcome....
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:11 PM »
Great stuff!! I will be supporting him for the gold in London!!  :chilling:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
Great stuff!! I will be supporting him for the gold in London!!  :chilling:

You're welcome....
:beermug:

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
You're welcome....
whos the man.

The silver tongued negotiator with tha soul glo activator?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
You're welcome....
whos the man.

The silver tongued negotiator with tha soul glo activator?

What ah discription!!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Davis eyes podium in London 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
www.trinidadexpress.com

Wayne Davis II wants to climb the podium at the 2012 London Olympics.

The US-born Trinidad and Tobago sprint hurdler told the Express that everything he does in 2012 is targetted at a top-three finish at the Olympic Games.

"My goal is to perfect my technique and medal in these 2012 Olympics. My entire focus is on London 2012. Meets prior to this event are just serious building blocks for the big event—Olympics."

With Cuba's men's 110 metres hurdles world record holder Dayron Robles (12.87 seconds), China's Liu Xiang, reigning world champion Jason Richardson and his American teammate David Oliver all eyeing Olympic glory, securing precious metal will be a tough task in London. But Davis has proven his worth in the junior ranks and undoubtedly has the potential to be a world-beater at the senior level.

As a 15-year-old, Davis earned sprint hurdles gold for the United States at the 2007 World Youth (under-18) Championships, in Ostrava, Czech Republic. He clocked 13.18 seconds in the final—a new world youth record.

Two years later, 17-year-old Davis set a world junior record, 13.08, in grabbing gold at the Pan American Junior (under-20) Championships, here in T&T.

The height of the hurdles for Davis' world youth record was 91.4 centimetres, and for his junior record the height was 99cm. Now that he is a full-fledged senior athlete, the barriers 20-year-old Davis must clear are 1.067 metres. His personal best at that height is 13.54 seconds. To be a serious contender for Olympic honours, the Texas A&M University student will need to go faster.

"I can't really say how fast I see myself going this year, but training so far is showing great potential to be competitive with the big dogs in London. In my career I feel as though my potential is limitless. I don't really like to put a number as my goal. When I run a personal best I am already thinking of a way to run faster, seconds after the race. I was the best in my youth and junior years and I intend to do the same on this level, whether it takes six months or eight years."

Davis was born in North Carolina, USA. However, his parents, Wayne and Anne Marie Davis, are Trinidadians, both from St James.

Last year, the young athlete decided to switch allegiance, choosing to run for the country of his parents' birth.

"I wanted to better experience the Trini culture," Davis II explained. "Track and field is one of the major sports in the islands."
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
 :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>