April 20, 2024, 04:26:26 AM

Author Topic: Scotland Vs Trinidad... (remember this report ????)  (Read 3485 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Scotland Vs Trinidad... (remember this report ????)
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:43:30 AM »
This article appeared in The Scotsman on 1st June 2004

Scotland 4 Trinidad and Tobago 1
by Stephen Halliday

IN ACHIEVING his biggest win as Scotland manager yesterday, Berti Vogts also erased any lingering doubts that he will remain in charge of the country for the start of the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.

If an outstanding first-half performance by the Scots had to be measured alongside the lamentable standard of opponents who at times looked as if they had been imported from a Sunday morning pub league at Leith Links, this was nonetheless as encouraging an exercise as the German coach has overseen in his 26 months in charge.

It was Scotland's biggest victory since San Marino were defeated 4-0 at Hampden three years ago and would have been even more convincing if the home team's strikers had not missed a handful of chances. As it was, all four goals came from midfielders in a blistering 28-minute period of the first half. The magnificent Darren Fletcher set the home side on their way, his lead followed by Gary Holt, Gary Caldwell and Nigel Quashie who all claimed their first goals for their country.

Quashie has emerged from the close season friendlies as something of a find for Vogts, the powerful Portsmouth player even earning a chorus of "You're not English anymore" from the appreciative Tartan Army.

While it would be foolish to be seduced by victories over Estonia and Trinidad & Tobago into believing Scotland can now storm through their World Cup qualifying group, the prospects of earning a place in Germany two years from now do not appear quite so distant.

The level of Scotland's display dipped considerably after the break, perhaps understandably so, and Birmingham City striker Stern John recorded a consolation strike for the visitors who, it is safe to presume, won't be among the qualifiers for the 2006 extravaganza.

The porous nature of the Trinidad and Tobago defence was evidenced after just three minutes when Stevie Crawford sprang a risible offside trap to latch onto Fletcher's first piercing pass of the afternoon, but could only drive his shot straight at goalkeeper Clayton Ince.

It was already abundantly clear that Scotland were facing opponents who afforded them a rare opportunity to achieve a convincing victory. No matter the weakness of the Caribbean side, however, the home players take full credit for the way they took them apart with some incisive, eye-catching football.

The sixth-minute opener was created by James McFadden and finished by Fletcher, a combination who offer so much encouragement for the future. The former displayed terrific technique and admirable composure to hold the ball up in the penalty area before slipping a reverse pass into the path of the latter. Fletcher has yet to open his goal account at club level, a remarkable statistic when you witness the precise, low right-foot finish which arrowed across Ince's body into the keeper's right hand corner.

Save for a heart-fluttering moment when Craig Gordon almost marked his debut with an own goal, miscuing Malky Mackay's overhit backpass before rescuing the situation on the line, there was nothing to concern the Scots during a first half which bordered on fantasy football by their standards under Vogts.

Fletcher, at the hub of everything good about it, created the second goal with a typically perceptive cross from the right which picked out Holt's run through the inside left channel. The Norwich City midfielder threw himself bravely at the ball, the pain of his collision with Ince compensated by his first goal for Scotland nestling in the corner of the net.

Scotland, playing with vigour and verve, looked likely to score with every attack against opponents hopelessly off the pace in the first period. For a team with so much height in central defence, Trinidad and Tobago were remarkably suspect at cross balls and dreadful marking from Marvin Andrews & Co allowed Gary Caldwell to bundle home Fletcher's inswinging corner to put the Scots 3-0 up after just 23 minutes.

The impressive Easter Road turnout hardly knew how to react to such unaccustomed circumstances but were soon savouring an even rosier picture. Not since 1976, when Finland were crushed 6-0 at Hampden, had a Scotland side scored four times in the first half of an international. The feat was emulated 11 minutes from the interval with Fletcher involved yet again.

He set Crawford, who seconds earlier had missed a good chance from 14 yards, clear through the middle and the striker's shot was blocked by Ince. With the visiting defence in disarray, the ball broke to Quashie who drilled it low and hard into the gaping net from 20 yards.

Vogts used five substitutes in the second half, Brian Kerr impressing as a replacement for Holt, but Scotland were unable to maintain their frenetic first-half momentum. Trinidad and Tobago, by contrast, effected a considerable improvement and scored a terrific goal in 55 minutes when John lashed home a Carlos Edwards cross from around 14 yards.

McFadden missed a simple opportunity to grab the goal his all round play deserved shortly afterwards, but only the most churlish would have found fault with Scotland's efforts on a day which ensured Vogts and his players can enjoy their summer after an often wretched campaign.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Vs Trinidad... (remember this report ????)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 08:44:22 AM »
It would be nice to play Scotland now to benchmark our improvement..
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:52:41 AM »
i sure we go cut they @$$
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 08:55:33 AM »

You make a good point kicker, but the team is very different now so i feel it hard to see if we improved with a nex match using the first one as a "benchmark"

(F) T&T   1  vs  4  Scotland,  May, 30th, 2004: Clayton Ince, Brent Sancho, Marvin Andrews, Ian Cox, Carlos Edwards (Densill Theobald 90th) Stokely Mason, Angus Eve (capt) (Kerwyn Jemmott 81st) Arnold Dwarika (Jerren Nixon 74th), Kenwyne Jones (Marlon Rojas 46th), Stern John, Cornell Glen (Andre Boucaud 28th).

The only ones starting now are andrews, sancho, edwards and stern

Not to mention d coach

Is only a year and half ago but it seems like a different era already
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:57:40 AM by ricky »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 09:02:27 AM »

You make a good point kicker, but the team is very different now so i feel it hard to see if we improved with a nex match using the first one as a "benchmark"

(F) T&T   1  vs  4  Scotland,  May, 30th, 2004: Clayton Ince, Brent Sancho, Marvin Andrews, Ian Cox, Carlos Edwards (Densill Theobald 90th) Stokely Mason, Angus Eve (capt) (Kerwyn Jemmott 81st) Arnold Dwarika (Jerren Nixon 74th), Kenwyne Jones (Marlon Rojas 46th), Stern John, Cornell Glen (Andre Boucaud 28th).

The only ones starting now are andrews, sancho, edwards and stern and sancho

Not to mention d coach

It would still be a good benchmark. If we did better with the current team, you could almost safely say that the additional players, and the coach have made a difference.......

The only way that it would not be a good benchmark is if Scotland's line up was totally different......

I'm not trying to measure the improvement of our original selection that played against Scotland. I'm talking about measuring the improvement of T&T as a team......as a result of added players, a new coach, a qualifying campaign etc.....what must be held constant for benchmarking is not our team.........it's the opposition.

ya dig ??

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 09:11:17 AM »

The only ones starting now are andrews, sancho, edwards and stern and sancho

Not to mention d coach

It would still be a good benchmark. If we did better with the current team, you could almost safely say that the additional players, and the coach have made a difference.......

The only way that it would not be a good benchmark is if Scotland's line up was totally different......

I'm not trying to measure the improvement of our original selection that played against Scotland. I'm talking about measuring the improvement of T&T as a team......as a result of added players, a new coach, a qualifying campaign etc.....what must be held constant for benchmarking is not our team.........it's the opposition.

ya dig ??

I hear ya, but is like sending an A team and a B team so i dont really agree.  We could benchmark using the hex matches and the second rounds of matches against teams and see we improving easy enough, and you can already safely say that the additional players, and the coach have made a difference.......

And you took the words out of my mouth, if we did play them again Im sure there would be 5 or  more changes to the Scotish team.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:12:47 AM »

I hear ya, but is like sending an A team and a B team so i dont really agree.  We could benchmark using the hex matches and the second rounds of matches against teams and see we improving easy enough, and you can already safely say that the additional players, and the coach have made a difference.......

And you took the words out of my mouth, if we did play them again Im sure there would be 5 or  more changes to the Scotish team.

I see what you mean.

I thought at that time, that our selection against Scotland was considered our A-team....for the most part..and had another coach been in charge, they might still form the nucleus of our current squad....I didn't really conisder that squad a B-squad by intent, just a weaker selection of players by management discretion.

If it were in fact a B-squad, then you make a good point.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 09:17:31 AM by kicker »

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:19:14 AM »

The level of Scotland's display dipped considerably after the break, perhaps understandably so, and Birmingham City striker Stern John recorded a consolation strike for the visitors who, it is safe to presume, won't be among the qualifiers for the 2006 extravaganza.

lol i'll laugh in front ah him wen we qualify  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 09:22:38 AM »

I see what you mean. I thought at that time, that our selection against Scotland was considered our A-team.....for the most part....good point.

It pretty much was the A squad at the time. Latas and Yorke was still vex, no Birchall, Avery ent getting call from BSC, no Tallest, no Seaton,  cause of BSC.  ppl trying to rush in SEabra papers to help the painfully bad midfield.  Thats what I mean its like a new era only a year and half later now, back then we was a mess. That would be considered a B squad now

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »
big up to theobald for being the only local to hold down a spot from then to now

ah real laugh wen they say they doubt we go be in d world

oo how d tables hav turned
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 11:14:11 AM »
ricky that would even be our be squad because mason ,rojas etc beenie neva even considered
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 04:45:58 PM »
Boy have we progresses.  We need to hold this and build on it.  Now players want to represent we, and man feeling like the team rightfully belongs on the world stage.  The setup is a  lot better.  No disrespect, but the national team staff really needed a shake-up.

1]; } ?>