June 26, 2019, 04:06:35 AM

Author Topic: 2019 T&T Pro League Thread  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 T&T Pro League Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »
So what happens when a pro-team ends up last. Does it still stay up? Demoted? I also think the FA trophy winners should get a shot to play in the CFU club championships.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 01:39:47 AM »
Promotion/relegation is just generally a good thing for me, but the real sustainability will come when clubs are able to get gate receipts, sponsorship and merchandise from working in and with their local community. Ultimately it will allow better run clubs to get promoted while the worse ones get relegated. 50k isn't much to get the ball running on decades of under-investment, but some of the clubs are partly to blame for living off the tax payer for so long with so little in return.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »
If clubs get the $50,000 subvention a month and the league runs for 8 months a club gets
$400,000
How many clubs get this ?? Maybe 8 clubs

So if 20 clubs now in a position to get US $50,000 or TT $350,000......is that not better for our football

Just asking

Think about it.....If Pheonix, Bethel or Youth Stars got that kind of money
Sorry we don't want all that money to go to Tobago

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
If clubs get the $50,000 subvention a month and the league runs for 8 months a club gets
$400,000
How many clubs get this ?? Maybe 8 clubs

So if 20 clubs now in a position to get US $50,000 or TT $350,000......is that not better for our football

Just asking

Think about it.....If Pheonix, Bethel or Youth Stars got that kind of money
Sorry we don't want all that money to go to Tobago

This is the UEFA proposal - https://wired868.com/2019/01/29/the-real-source-of-the-us2-million-windfall-for-pro-league-and-ttsl-plus-what-clubs-stand-to-make/

The TTFA’s foreign guests proposed a more progressive split of money for 2019, which sees all 10 Pro League clubs—inclusive of Defence Force and Police FC—collect US$50,000  (TT$338,000) for the year and US$10,000 (TT$67,000) each for the 12 TTSL teams for that same period. The combined guaranteed payout to clubs in both divisions is US$620,000 (TT$4.2 million).

Ultimately, the two leagues will determine how many clubs get to feed from the trough; and the Pro League generally denies subventions to Defence Force and Police on the grounds that they already enjoy state funding.

“We have not decided yet [the number of teams in the Pro League],” said Pongracz, “because the more teams you play, the more you have to share and the less a club gets. So you have to decide.”

There will also be performance-based incentives. The top five Pro League clubs will bank US$50,000 (TT$338,000), US$40,000 (TT$271,000), US$30,000 ($203,000), US$10,000 (TT$67,000) and US$5,000 (TT$34,000) respectively.

In the TTSL, the top six teams stand to pocket prize money of US$20,000 (TT$135,000), US$15,000 (TT$101,000), US$10,000 (TT$67,000), US$5,000 (TT$34,000), US$3,000 (TT$20,000) and US$2,000 (TT$13,000) respectively.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 01:33:24 AM »
Ex-Pro League boss calls on Awai to apologise.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

FORMER TT Pro League chairman Sam Phillip wants a public apology from director of football at North East Stars Michael Awai, after he said Phillip and president of the TT Super League Keith Look Loy were appointed illegally.

In a T&T Guardian article yesterday, Awai said Phillip and Look Loy were illegally made members of the TT Football Association (TTFA) board at a reconvened Annual General Meeting on December 23, 2017. Awai claims Phillip and Look Loy were illegally made members of the board as decisions relating to appointments or dismissals of officers could not have been made according to Article 24, paragraph 3(Quorum of the General Meeting) of the TTFA constitution.

Awai said there needed to be a quorum at the reconvened meeting for officers to be elected.

The former Pro League chairman said, Awai is misinformed saying only in a first meeting is a quorum mandatory. “The first meeting (there needs to be a quorom), but once we reconvene you don’t need a quorom.” Phillip said in a first meeting involving the TTFA a quorum is 50 per cent plus one.

He said even if there needed to be a quorum at the reconvened meeting there was more than half of the 49-member TTFA present at the reconvened meeting.

Phillip wants an apology from Awai. “I am asking Mr Awai to correct that statement publicly, apologise to Mr Look Loy and myself by correcting that statement – he is wrong. He (Awai) is misleading the football public.”

Phillip was upset Awai was bringing his name into disrepute. “I want to remind Mr Awai – you see that word illegally – I don’t involve myself in anything illegal.”

The former TT Pro League chairman said Awai should do something for TT football. “The word illegal is a strong word and I don’t believe in illegal business in no way and I want to clear up that. I want to ask Mr Awai what has he done for football in the last ten years?”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
Good luck finding accountability in T&T football

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 01:13:21 AM »
Awai: I said unconstitutional, not illegal
By Andrew Gioannetti & Joel Bailey (Newsday).

NORTH East Stars director of football Michael Awai says he was misrepresented in a recent newspaper article, which quoted him as saying the appointments of Keith Look Loy and Sam Phillip as members of the TT Football Association (TTFA) board of directors were done illegally.

On February 21, the Trinidad Guardian published an article, which read, "Michael Awai, Di­rec­tor of Foot­ball at TT Pro League cam­paign­ers North East Stars believes Kei­th Look Loy, Pres­i­dent of the TT Su­per League was il­le­gal­ly ap­point­ed as a mem­ber of the Board of Di­rec­tors of the TT Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion.

"The out­spo­ken Awai, equipped with a copy of the TTFA con­sti­tu­tion point­ed to the min­utes of De­cem­ber 23, 2017, re­con­vened An­nu­al Gen­er­al Meet­ing (AGM) at the of­fice of the Na­tion­al Cy­cling Cen­tre (NCC) in Bal­main, Cou­va, at which Look Loy and Sam Phillip, the for­mer TT Pro League chair­man was ap­point­ed to the Board."

Since the publication of the article, Phillip called on Awai to apologise for the accusations made in the article and to correct that.

Phillip said, “I am asking Mr Awai to correct that statement publicly, apologise to Mr Look Loy and myself by correcting that statement. He is wrong. He is misleading the football public. I want to remind Mr Awai – you see that word illegally – I don’t involve myself in anything illegal.”

Phillip said Saturday he intends to sue Awai for defamation since he failed to apologise in a timely manner.

Awai was reached by Newsday yesterday and said his comments to the Guardian reporter were misconstrued. Awai said he was not contacted by the reporter for direct comments but was quoted solely from an e-mail, in which the word "illegal" was never used. Awai said he had e-mailed the newspaper asking for the information to be corrected "so that the proper context would be established going forward."

He said yesterday, "I was just asking questions (in the e-mail). If what I said was incorrect, then fine." Awai provided Newsday a copy of the original e-mail from which he was quoted.

In the e-mail to football stakeholders, Awai wrote: "I have had the opportunity to review the minutes of the reconvened AGM of the TTFA of 23rd December 2017 held at the National Cycling Velodrome in Balmain Couva. I wish to point you to several items which will reveal that certain actions and decisions taken at that meeting were ultra-virus (sic) and unconstitutional."

He challenged decisions made at a reconvened TTFA meeting, wrongly citing a lack of quorum for his interpretation of the supposed breach. He, however, did not explicitly say "illegal" in the email provided.

"I'm just asking questions," he said.

In response to Phillip's threat of a lawsuit, Awai said, "Well he can sue if he wants, but I know what I said and the documents are there."

Phillip, during a telephone interview on Saturday, said, “In life you have a minimum of two choices, either you do something or you don’t do it. I’m using my second choice of option.

“I first asked Mr Awai to apologise and, up till this time, he has not done so. I responded within 24 hours after his article. I’m using my second option which is to seek legal advice on this matter.

Phillip said he held talks with his lawyers and will be seeking legal action this week.

He added, “I also noticed that the TTFA (TT Football Association) has been silent on this issue, moreso the vice-president Mr Ewing Davis who had chaired that meeting.”

Asked if he will give Awai more time to apologise, Phillip replied, “I’m not giving him any more time. I’m seeking legal advice at this time to proceed with a legal matter of defamation of character.”

The former Joe Public FC manager said, “Over the last four decades, in my tenure of employment, my character was never questioned. I have worked in a number of sensitive areas (in security). My character has never been blemished. Nobody has ever asked me to resign. If I did resign, it was on my own will.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:14 AM »
playing with words!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »
Up, up and away, yes?

On the basis of what has been reported, it seems frightfully irresponsible to have announced bringing Cunupia into the league and then now to announce that they will not be part of the league because of the UEFA consultation (which was not unanticipated and which was targeted precisely to exploring structural/operating considerations within the PL). Let no one forget this was not the consultants first visit.

Yuh know what silly asylumseeker would have done? He would have vigorously suggested incorporating Cunupia FC into the dialogue as a partner with a stake in the outcome and have them 'incentivized' as an active participant.

Unnecessarily ... this leaves the league open to questions and challenges.

Hopefully what was agreed contemplated discretion by the Pro League to change course regarding Cunupia's admission.

However, comments suggest that there was/is a lack of clarity regarding whether Cunupia would be included in receiving subvention from the GoTT ... given the history of the league, that seems to be a component that one would expect to have been defined at the time of deciding on admission to the Pro League.

Overall these initial public comments suggest a loosely constructed agreement or understanding.

Time to tidy things up

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:59:27 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 01:46:53 AM »
If only there was some tried-and-tested way of having new clubs enter the league, perhaps being replaced by a team that hadn't performed well across the whole season. Oh well, let the bacchanal continue.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
Gillette is Football chairman.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Busi­ness­man Lyn­d­say Gillette was vot­ed chair­man of the foot­ball com­mis­sion to steer T&T foot­ball in­to a new era. The com­mis­sion was set up on the ad­vice of FI­FA/CON­CA­CAF/UE­FA of­fi­cials who vis­it­ed T&T to give rec­om­men­da­tions on ways to im­prove the sport. One of the rec­om­men­da­tions was to have a sin­gle man­age­ment team from the su­per league, pro league and TTFA to over­see the man­age­ment op­er­a­tions of a tier one and tier two foot­ball com­pe­ti­tions.

The vote was tak­en at a re­cent meet­ing held among the mem­bers com­pris­ing two rep­re­sen­ta­tives of the T&T Pro League, two from the T&T Su­per League, two in­de­pen­dents and a rep­re­sen­ta­tive from the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion, in Port-of-Spain.

Tony Har­ford of All Sports Pro­mo­tions was the last in­de­pen­dent pick for the Com­mis­sion, join­ing Gillette, the cur­rent pres­i­dent of T&T Am­a­teur Swim­ming As­so­ci­a­tion is al­so an in­de­pen­dent.

The oth­er Com­mis­sion mem­bers are Kei­th Look Loy and George Joseph of the TTSL, Brent San­cho of Cen­tral FC and Ja­mal Shabazz of Mor­vant Cale­do­nia pro clubs as the two pro league rep­re­sen­ta­tives while An­tho­ny Moore of the To­ba­go FA will be the TTFA rep­re­sen­ta­tives.

An ear­li­er re­port stat­ed in this news­pa­pers had stat­ed that Shel­don Phillips, the sacked TTFA gen­er­al sec­re­tary, was tipped to be one of the in­de­pen­dent rep­re­sen­ta­tives and that he was in line to be­come the chair­man, but Phillips was on­ly a con­sid­er­a­tion.

How­ev­er, it is un­der­stood that the com­mis­sion has made tremen­dous progress to date, as it is in the process of for­mu­lat­ing a Mem­o­ran­dum of Un­der­stand­ing among the par­ties in­volved.

San­cho told Guardian Me­dia Lim­it­ed that the meet­ings have been fruit­ful as every­one is fo­cused on cre­at­ing the best foot­ball prod­uct from the merg­ing of the pro league, su­per league and TTFA.

San­cho is al­so call­ing for sug­ges­tions for the name of the new league/leagues, al­though one has al­ready been giv­en to them.

Mean­while, the re­main­der of the T&T Youth Pro League will be ded­i­cat­ed in ho­n­our of Richard Fakoory, a mem­ber of the Board of the T&T Pro League re­vealed yes­ter­day, a day af­ter a meet­ing.

Fakoory, who was chair­man of the T&T Pro League, died last week Wednes­day from an aneurysm which came af­ter he had a mi­nor surgery to fix a block­age in his ab­domen at the West­shore Med­ical Hos­pi­tal in Co­corite.

The mem­bers of the pro league were search­ing for a suit­able way to ho­n­our him for the work he has done over the past 40 years, but on Wednes­day at a pro league meet­ing in Port-of-Spain, it was agreed to ded­i­cate the rest of the youth pro league in his ho­n­our, at least in the short term, the mem­ber said.

The mem­ber, who is a mem­ber of the pro league board, said fur­ther dis­cus­sions will take place to find a suit­able way to ho­n­our Fakoory in the long term.

So far it has been agreed that all the tro­phies will be named af­ter him, apart from the youth league be­ing ded­i­cat­ed to him. This he said was agreed up­on unan­i­mous­ly as the St Ann's Rangers founder and di­rec­tor had com­mit­ted his en­tire life to­ward youth de­vel­op­ment.

"Richard was a stick­ler for youth de­vel­op­ment. He tru­ly want­ed to help the young peo­ple of T&T through sports, so we felt it would have been ap­pro­pri­ate to take this step," the mem­ber said. The meet­ing was al­so held to up­date its mem­bers on what was hap­pen­ing, and to be­gin dis­cus­sions for a new chair­man.