March 28, 2024, 06:28:13 PM

Author Topic: Mekeil Williams Thread  (Read 42638 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mekeil Williams Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
Defender Mekeil Williams joins Guatemala powerhouse club, CSD Municipal. This is Mekeil's second stint in Guatemala, having played with and won the Apertura Championship with Antigua GFC in 2015/16.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2020, 09:58:48 AM »
I like the move.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
WATCH: Mekeil Williams talks about his childhood in Trinidad and Tobago, playing in Denmark and Poland, how he signed for Antigua GFC and C.S.D. Municipal, playing in the MLS and USL, racism in football, what he still wants to accomplish in the sport, and much more.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ACtk2779Cug" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ACtk2779Cug</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
WATCH: Defender Mekeil Williams joins National Senior team training

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TR4oWNklHtk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TR4oWNklHtk</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Defender Mekeil Williams focusing on reclaiming his place in new set-up
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2020, 08:06:21 AM »
Defender Mekeil Williams focusing on reclaiming his place in new set-up
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Back in training with the Trinidad and Tobago senior men’s national team, Mekeil Williams feels the time is ripe to re-focus, both for himself and for football in T&T as a whole.

Williams’ comment came on November 19, the day when FIFA lifted its brief suspension of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), giving the senior men’s team the opportunity to compete in important qualifying tournaments next year.

With Trinidad and Tobago not having played since a 4-0 CONCACAF Nations League defeat to Honduras a year ago, and no local football taking place since quarantine restrictions were imposed in March, to battle the Covid-19 outbreak, Williams knows the difficulty of the upcoming task in 2021, when the “Soca Warriors” enter qualification for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup and the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

“It will be a challenge definitely. I think we just have to focus and put our best foot forward because its not going to be easy,” declared Williams. “Everybody has to focus, come together, focus on the task at hand, and just get things going.”

Since leaving W Connection in 2012, Williams, 30, has played in Denmark, with two Guatemalan clubs, and in both the top flight Major League Soccer (MLS) and the second tier United Soccer League (USL) in the United States.

Known as “Splash”, Williams filled a regular spot at left-back in the senior national team and was part of coach Stephen Hart’s exciting 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup outfit which reached the quarter-final stage and featured in a thrilling 4-4 draw with Mexico, before going out to Panama on penalty kicks.

However, in recent times, Williams has had less of a permanent grip on the left-back position, with the likes of Neveal Hackshaw, the versatile Aubrey David, Tristan Hodge and Keston Julien, all vying for the spot.

Williams has just returned from the USA, after leaving his Guatemalan club Municipal when the Covid-19 pandemic hit in March. “When the pandemic first struck I was in Guatemala. At the time, with the uncertainty and not knowing what was going to take place, I had to make the decision,” Williams said.

“So I took the opportunity to go to the USA, because I know it would have been easier to come home from there, and just ride it out until I got the opportunity to get home.”

For Williams, 2021 is a big year for football and one in which he hopes to cement a spot in national coach Terry Fenwick’s squad for the two upcoming tournaments. He know that he has to put in the work.

“Right now, at the moment, I am definitely unfit. So, I know I have some work to do to get back up to fitness,” Williams said. “I think with a lil’ time, I’ll get there.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC sign Mekeil Williams
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »
Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC sign Mekeil Williams
By Riverhounds Staff

Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC has added another veteran to its defensive group, signing Mekeil Williams to a one-year contract with a club option for 2022, pending USL and USSF approval.

Williams, 30, is a Trinidad and Tobago international whose club career has included stops in MLS with the Colorado Rapids and the USL with both the Richmond Kickers and Oklahoma City Energy. "Mekeil is a quality defender who can play anywhere across the back line," Riverhounds head coach Bob Lilley said. "He is comfortable on the ball and is a seasoned pro who will add composure and leadership to our roster. We are excited to have Mekeil joining the Pittsburgh Riverhounds for the 2021 USL Championship season."

A 6-foot-1 defender, Williams most recently played for top Guatemalan side Municipal. He signed with the club in December 2019 and made 12 appearances in what ended up being a Covid-shortened season. Williams' experience in the U.S. includes spending 2016-17 with the Rapids, for whom he made a total of 38 league appearances. Williams then moved to USL with the Kickers in 2018, twice suiting up against the Riverhounds that season, and with the Energy in 2019, making a total of 55 USL appearances.

Before coming to the U.S., Williams' career included a stint in Guatemala, stops with clubs in Poland and Denmark, and time at home in Trinidad and Tobago's Pro League, where he made his professional debut in 2009 and helped his side, W Connection, win the title in 2014.

Williams has made 36 appearances for Trinidad & Tobago, appearing in both the 2015 and 2019 Gold Cup and FIFA World Cup qualifiers for the Soca Warriors. He also scored on his international debut in 2012 in a friendly against Finland.

The Riverhounds now have 16 players under contract for the 2021 USL Championship season, with players slated to arrive to start preseason at the end of March and the regular season scheduled to kick off in early May.

Players currently under contract:

Forwards - Russell Cicerone, Albert Dikwa, Alex Dixon, Josh Gatt

Midfielders - Danny Griffin, Kenardo Forbes, Louis Perez, Anthony Velarde, Todd Wharton

Defenders - Ezra Armstrong, Jordan Dover, Preston Kilwien, Dani Rovira, Mekeil Williams

Goalkeepers - Chris Morrish, Danny Vitiello

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2021, 08:15:16 AM »
Congrats

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
WATCH: Mekeil Williams provides the pinpoint cross to setup Pittsburgh Riverhounds' first goal in their 3-1 come-from-behind win against Hartford Athletic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9d8raPlu7iI?start=91" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9d8raPlu7iI?start=91</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2022, 09:27:22 PM »
WATCH: Mekeil Williams' first USL Championship goal since 2019 earns Pittsburgh Riverhounds a 2-2 draw with New York Red Bulls II.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/d0hnsUudrI4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/d0hnsUudrI4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2023, 01:23:43 PM »
Chattanooga Red Wolves sign defender Mekeil Williams
By Bill Powell (chattanoogaredwolves-sc.com)

The Chattanooga Red Wolves are pleased to announce the signing of veteran defender Mekeil Williams for the 2023 USL League One season. Transaction pending league and federation approval.

Williams brings a wealth of experience to the Chattanooga Red Wolves roster having appeared 38 times for the Colorado Rapids in the MLS. In addition to playing in the top flight in the United States, Williams has appeared for the Trinidad and Tobago national team on 36 occasions, including two Gold Cups. Williams also was featured in two matchups against the United States men’s national team in World Cup qualifiers from 2015-2018.

Williams’ professional career has included stops in the USL Championship with the Richmond Kickers, Oklahoma City Energy and Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Guatemalan powerhouse CSD Municipal and Ma Pau in Trinidad and Tobago.

“Mekeil brings us a level of experience that we’ve been looking for this season,” said Chattanooga Red Wolves GM & President Sean McDaniel. “His time in the MLS & USL Championship combined with his international experience gives us a veteran leader important to the success of the team this year.”

For Chattanooga Red Wolves Head Coach Ziggy Korytoski, Williams will be an important piece for the 2023 roster. “I have known Mekeil from his time down in Guatemala,” said Korytoski. “He has had a really solid career with a lot of success. He is another defender that gives us a ton of experience in the locker room and on the field. He’s versatile and can play on the left, right or centrally. We are very fortunate he is joining our squad and I am looking forward to working with him this year.”

Williams hopes to make a big impact with the club. “I want to win the League One championship, and be a great leader and influence the team positively on and off the field,” said Williams. “I’m happy to be a part of the team, excited to get started and we will need all the fans’ support as we try to win this championship.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2023, 06:23:07 AM »
Defender Mekeil Williams first goal of the season is the game-winner for Chattanooga Red Wolves SC in their 3-1 come-from-behind win against Forward Madison FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W9yjqneYsAU?start=284" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W9yjqneYsAU?start=284</a>

1]; } ?>