June 15, 2024, 09:45:12 PM

Author Topic: Gulf Daily News: MPs blow whistle on soccer incentives  (Read 958 times)

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Gulf Daily News: MPs blow whistle on soccer incentives
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:58:40 AM »
By MOHAMMED AL A'ALI

MANAMA

MANAMA: MPs blew the whistle yesterday on a BD2.1 million incentive deal for Bahrain's national soccer players. It would have given each player BD50,000, a new car, a government house and a BD1,000 monthly salary leading up to and during the world championship.

Jobs would also have been offered to players or their family members under the proposal, put by five MPs, led by Yousif Al Hermi.

But MPs literally laughed it out of play at yesterday's weekly parliamentary session.

"What would those supporting us (Bahrain) financially say if they hear about this proposal?" said chairman Khalifa Al Dhahrani.

Mr Al Hermi said it was not a joke, since Bahrain was playing against the world's best.

"Passing this proposal would raise the spirit of our players as they face Trinidad and Tobago next month," he said.

"The money isn't that much if we consider what other teams are spending."

MPs voted to refer the proposal to the services committee, but it is not expected to re-emerge.

The MPs later issued a statement backing the team and urging the government to provide moral and financial support.

Comment: I guess, contrary to Mr. Nahkid, these folks were trying to bribe their players  ::).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 10:01:09 AM by CarenageBoy »

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gulf Daily News: MPs blow whistle on soccer incentives
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:03:36 AM »
Notice the government's official's reason for bribing their players:

"Bahrain was playing against the world's best"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Gulf Daily News: MPs blow whistle on soccer incentives
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 10:46:52 AM »
I had a mind dat them was doin shyt by givin them players so much ting it goo dey get blank
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

1]; } ?>