April 28, 2024, 02:52:45 AM

Author Topic: British bottled water for TT parliament!!  (Read 3947 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
British bottled water for TT parliament!!
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
British bottled water for TT parliament
By NALINEE SEELAL Monday, February 6 2012

THE INABILITY of the Trinidad and Tobago Parliament to get local bottled water manufacturers to produce purified water in glass bottles, led Parliament to broker an arrangement with the House of Commons in the United Kingdom to supply water for Tower D in Port-of-Spain.

Before moving to Tower D, officials at the TT Parliament approached several bottled water manufacturers locally asking them to produce purified water in glass bottles, but the companies reportedly declined.

This led to a special type of distilled water, in a glass bottle with the name Hildon, being imported for use in the parliament chamber.

Yesterday, sources revealed that although Hildon is served at the Parliament chamber, a filtered water system was recently introduced so that water could be served to the parliamentarians.

The filtered water is water produced by the Water and Sewerage Authority, which is then filtered for use by the parliamentarians.

However, sources revealed that there are times when Hildon water will be served to the parliamentarians.

Yesterday, Minister of Trade and Industry Stephen Cadiz told Newsday that as far as he is concerned, water from WASA is the best in the world and he has no problem drinking it.

However he added, that when parliament moved to Tower D and he enquired as to why water was being served in glass bottles, he was told that the Parliament had decided to go green and wanted to be more environmentally friendly.

He however pointed out, “I tried to find a local manufacturer who would bottle the water in glass bottles, but we were unsuccessful in doing so.

I grew up on WASA water and I have no problem drinking it.” Newsday also understands that the TT parliament through Clark of the House Jackie Sampson went as far as looking to the US market to get purified water in glass bottles, but it was proving to be too costly to import, therefore the decision was taken to go the route of getting the water from the House of Commons.

A source from the TT parliament said yesterday that the average cost for one of the 330 ml bottle of Hildon which is served to parliamentarians cost as little as TT$4 per bottle.

Hildon Natural Mineral Water comes from beneath the chalk hills of the beautiful Hampshire countryside in the South of England.

The water is wholesome, naturally filtered and crystal-clear.

It is free from pollution with a stable composition, being naturally low in sodium. The water is bottled at source and whether it is Delightfully Still or Gently Sparkling, has a distinctive, delicious taste.

Hildon has long been the water of choice at prestigious venues, such as The Savoy, The Royal Opera House, Guards Polo Club and the House of Commons, the company’s website said.

Disappointed....only bottled water.....why not toilet paper too!!..... :bs:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: British bottled water for TT parliament!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »
"Clark" of the House?

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
"Clark" of the House?
lol  what yuh really expect?  hahahahaha

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
So what is wrong with buying a few cases of blue waters and using that ???
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

They trying to get away from using plastic... is what I gather.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
Government Juice was not good enough!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »

They trying to get away from using plastic... is what I gather.
If that's the case, then boil and bring their own water. lol Seriously though, is this what tax payers paying for?

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
Steups... ah MP trying to justify why he deserve ah porsche to roll around in... and people fussing over british water.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
I can remember Anal Roberts said they was pushing for everything local ,that change too.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »
If that's the case, then boil and bring their own water. lol Seriously though, is this what tax payers paying for?

$4 a liter doh really sound that bad... not sure what a regular liter ah Blue Waters goes for though.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »

$4 a liter doh really sound that bad... not sure what a regular liter ah Blue Waters goes for though.

Not $4 a litre...$4 for 330ml. A 5 litre bottle of Blue waters cost $12 .

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
but what wrong with d pipe water.... ???
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
Not $4 a litre...$4 for 330ml. A 5 litre bottle of Blue waters cost $12 .

I just check dat... $4 fuh ah 12-ounce can ah water, not even ah li'l Perrier sparkle... Kamla and dem is de greatest yes  :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Steups... ah MP trying to justify why he deserve ah porsche to roll around in... and people fussing over british water.

ENTTTTTTTTTTTT

Don't know y they eh buckle up and enjoy d ride.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
Buh weary isnt he the min of agriculture ?he need a jeep ,only in t&t that could happen but they know the people they are dealing with so is know big thing .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
Why the need for glass doh?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
Buh weary isnt he the min of agriculture ?he need a jeep ,only in t&t that could happen but they know the people they are dealing with so is know big thing .

Yuh rite I 4get all dem bad roads he have 2 traverse as Min of Agr my bad.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
SO much for doing your best to stimulate a stalled economy..use imports...what could be better?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
Why the need for glass doh?

more environmentally friendly (but this also assumes a developed recycling system) and plastic molecules also get into the contents.
I pity the fool....

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »
Alyuh watch the play nah...

Blue Waters = Syrian = PNM

Lee Sing = PNM = Ban on glass in POS

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »
Alyuh watch the play nah...

Blue Waters = Syrian = PNM

Lee Sing = PNM = Ban on glass in POS

So it make more sense to import 2 dollars of water at 4 dollars?

I just trying to wrap the practicality of GLASS bottles jus for the parliament.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »
Its true..they shouldnt have glass bottles...as they closer in proximity and a certain opposition leader have a deadly aim with a tea cup.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
Its true..they shouldnt have glass bottles...as they closer in proximity and a certain opposition leader have a deadly aim with a tea cup.

All of dat enter my mind.

Buh seriously..why the need for glass? More formal setting? What? Dat is just ridiculous. Or maybe it have some reason I not understanding..hence my question....why glass?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »

All of dat enter my mind.

Buh seriously..why the need for glass? More formal setting? What? Dat is just ridiculous. Or maybe it have some reason I not understanding..hence my question....why glass?

Parliament acoustics does make glass Bottle and spoon sessions  sound better than plastic
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »

"However he added, that when parliament moved to Tower D and he enquired as to why water was being served in glass bottles, he was told that the Parliament had decided to go green and wanted to be more environmentally friendly."

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »

"However he added, that when parliament moved to Tower D and he enquired as to why water was being served in glass bottles, he was told that the Parliament had decided to go green and wanted to be more environmentally friendly."

I mentioned that above too he musbe mis it
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

I mentioned that above too he musbe mis it

Yeah I missed it.

So.

Environmentally friendly...I guess they sending back the empty bottles to get them refilled? Was this even thought through properly?

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
There are options for recycling plastic in T&T (http://www.greentnt.org/content/plastic-recycling) so the question of the need for glass remains  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »
There are options for recycling plastic in T&T (http://www.greentnt.org/content/plastic-recycling) so the question of the need for glass remains  :beermug:

I think I read somewhere that the process of recycling plastic (bags in this case) was highly inefficient and only a small percentage actually ended up back on the market.  Say nothing of the process of creating plastic in the first place, with it's reliance on petrochemicals as a base product, and the release of petrochemicals into the atmosphere.  I don't know enough to make a comparison, but my guess is that converting silica (under heat and pressure) to glass may not be as destructive on the environment... the question of re-use aside.

1]; } ?>