March 28, 2024, 09:36:59 AM

Author Topic: Fabio Capello resignation  (Read 7357 times)

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
Fabio Capello resignation
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
Heard on sports radio Fabio resigns as England Manager

I am not an England fan any supporters have their pick who will take over?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fabio Capello resignation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »
Capello quits England

February 8, 2012
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Fabio Capello has resigned as England manager.

Fabio Capello leaves his meeting with the FA board on Wednesday
An FA statement read: "The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England Manager.

"This follows a meeting involving FA Chairman David Bernstein, FA General Secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium.

"The discussions focused on The FA Board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview.

"In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England Manager with immediate effect."

More to follow...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »
Just like that? No Rooney the the first round of the Euros and he threw in the towel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
Just like that? No Rooney the the first round of the Euros and he threw in the towel
:rotfl:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
I'm sure they will find some failed English manager to replace him

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
I'm sure they will find some failed English manager to replace him
How about a German....hmmm Pfister???

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
A ready-made excuse for when England inevitably "under-perform".
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
if they really want to make a statement about racism, the FA will appoint a black manager and replace john terry with a black captain. options for mgr:

- john barnes
- chris hughton
- frank rijkard
- ruud gullit

but i feel they will give harry rednapp the reigns for euro 2012.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
if they really want to make a statement about racism, the FA will appoint a black manager and replace john terry with a black captain. options for mgr:

- john barnes
- chris hughton
- frank rijkard
- ruud gullit
but i feel they will give harry rednapp the reigns for euro 2012.

Tell meh yuh joking.  Gullit and Barnes?  Two great players that didn't translate that into great management.  Hughton is doing a great job at reviving Birmingham, but he is still unproven.  Rijkaard ain't too long into his tenure as Saudi Arabia coach. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:24:37 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
doh have much options unfortunately.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
doh have much options unfortunately.
Which is the reason why it won't and shouldn't happen.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

Agreed... I see no point in appointing a black manager for the sake of putting someone black in the position.  The FA is taking credible enough steps to combat racism that it doesn't need to take such superficial, counterproductive measures.

As for Capello himself, good riddance... mediocre results aside, his stance on the Terry controversy is unacceptable.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
Bookmakers have Redknapp as the hot favorite....just when we had gotten that BS trial over with now there's another distraction.

Personally I think Roy Hodgson is a better candidate though...if you're looking for an English manager.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

Agreed... I see no point in appointing a black manager for the sake of putting someone black in the position.  The FA is taking credible enough steps to combat racism that it doesn't need to take such superficial, counterproductive measures.

As for Capello himself, good riddance... mediocre results aside, his stance on the Terry controversy is unacceptable.

I don't see how his stance was unacceptable. On principle I agree with him in that someone should not be punished on an accusation. If he had been found guilty of the charges and subsequently had the captain's band taken away from him, then yes.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
Bookmakers have Redknapp as the hot favorite....just when we had gotten that BS trial over with now there's another distraction.

Personally I think Roy Hodgson is a better candidate though...if you're looking for an English manager.

As long as England has the same players, Roy or Harry (or whoever for that matter) will get mere variations of the same level mediocrity from that crop of laborers....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »

As long as England has the same players, Roy or Harry (or whoever for that matter) will get mere variations of the same level mediocrity from that crop of laborers...
kicker, you eh holding back at all dread.
well yes

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »

As long as England has the same players, Roy or Harry (or whoever for that matter) will get mere variations of the same level mediocrity from that crop of laborers....

Ditto - people only blaming the coaches - the team is just not as good as they think they are or should be. End of discussion.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »

Fair point but if the FA is determined to have an English manager the choices are severely limited.  I favor Roy because of his international experience.

That said I think English football has 2 main problems:

- The English media somehow believe that they're perennial contenders to win (despite zero evidence to support that position) and put the team under a microscope, vilify every tiny misstep and as a result they pile immense pressure on the team.  Faced with that the players tend to play conservatively to avoid mistakes resulting in very poor performance.  Spain had the same problem for a long time.

- The second problem is that English football, despite the glut of foreign players, is still at it's heart more about grit than flair so attempts to make the English team play the attractive football seen in the Premier league will fail in the same way forcing European-style defensive play  on the Brazilians did.

I think an English manager especially one with the experience Redknapp or Hodgson will be better able to shield the players from the media and get better performances from the team.  I'm not saying that England will be winning any World Cups soon but we should see less fear from the English players on the field.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
I don't see how his stance was unacceptable. On principle I agree with him in that someone should not be punished on an accusation. If he had been found guilty of the charges and subsequently had the captain's band taken away from him, then yes.

This isn't the court of law where "innocent until proven guilty" should be elevated as a concept above all others.  This is very much an exercise in social re-engineering (to the extent that the aim is to eradicate well-entrenched mores) as it is an exercise in public relations.  The FA can't be taken seriously if it is going to criticize Sepp Blatter and create some arbitrarily harsh penalty for Luis Suarez... and yet at the same time not recognize that unlike those other two, Terry has been charged with a crime.  The very fact that the Crown Prosecution Service has seen it fit to bring charges means that there is prima facie evidence of criminal conduct on his part. 

Terry shouldn't  be "punished", but neither should business go on as usual pending the trial.  As an example, it is quite commonplace in fact, for employees (both public and private) to be placed either on suspension with pay or some other form of "modified duty" pending the outcome of a trial or investigation.  Police officers are routinely assigned to desk duty pending the outcome of investigations into shootings for example, and then just recently the son of the NYC police commissioner, a news anchor with the local FOX affiliate in NYC was accused of rape.  He went on a leave of absence pending the outcome of the investigation (it was decided that there was not enough evidence).  My point is that there is sufficient precedent for the FA's position that keeping Terry as captain sends the wrong message, given the totality of the circumstances.

All this aside, once the FA acted, Capello should not have come out and publicly disagree with his employer.  This is improper under most ordinary circumstances, let alone under the current, given the gravity of the charge.  For these two reasons I say his stance was unacceptable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »

Ditto - people only blaming the coaches - the team is just not as good as they think they are or should be. End of discussion.

It's not about blaming the coaches.  Assuming you are both correct with regards to the dearth of talent, Capello knew of this situation going in and accepted the challenge of improving England's fortunes, he has not.  Bottomline is that this is a performance-based profession, and however legitimate we might think the reasons are for the mediocrity under his watch, there's no denying that he has been mediocre as a manager.  It's not that unreasonable to have expected better results.

-------------------

EDIT: Just reading that Capello posted the best winning percentage of any England manager the past 70 years.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:00:33 PM by Bakes »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »

This isn't the court of law where "innocent until proven guilty" should be elevated as a concept above all others.  This is very much an exercise in social re-engineering (to the extent that the aim is to eradicate well-entrenched mores) as it is an exercise in public relations.  The FA can't be taken seriously if it is going to criticize Sepp Blatter and create some arbitrarily harsh penalty for Luis Suarez... and yet at the same time not recognize that unlike those other two, Terry has been charged with a crime.  The very fact that the Crown Prosecution Service has seen it fit to bring charges means that there is prima facie evidence of criminal conduct on his part. 

Terry shouldn't  be "punished", but neither should business go on as usual pending the trial.  As an example, it is quite commonplace in fact, for employees (both public and private) to be placed either on suspension with pay or some other form of "modified duty" pending the outcome of a trial or investigation.  Police officers are routinely assigned to desk duty pending the outcome of investigations into shootings for example, and then just recently the son of the NYC police commissioner, a news anchor with the local FOX affiliate in NYC was accused of rape.  He went on a leave of absence pending the outcome of the investigation (it was decided that there was not enough evidence).  My point is that there is sufficient precedent for the FA's position that keeping Terry as captain sends the wrong message, given the totality of the circumstances.

All this aside, once the FA acted, Capello should not have come out and publicly disagree with his employer.  This is improper under most ordinary circumstances, let alone under the current, given the gravity of the charge.  For these two reasons I say his stance was unacceptable.

All right, but I still disagree. If Terry were to be found not guilty, should the FA tuck their tails in-between their legs and reinstated him as Captain? Would their sacking of him been justified if it turned out that all the allegations were false?

It is principle against principle. There was enough negative scrutiny on Terry to prevent things 'going on as usual' and I think the FA were high-handed in their actions (removing him from the captaincy and thus undermining Capello as manager). They should have met behind closed doors and discussed the matter and arrived at a decision that would allow Capello the semblance of authority he needs at the same time allowing the FA to 'take a stance'.

It is not as though Capello has never shown the ability to discipline his players when allegations are proved true - did he not remove the Captain's armband from Terry over the Wayne Bridge affair?

I don't give Capello wrong for feeling aggrieved - and worse yet their very hostile response to his expressing the opinions. He has every right to 'speak out against his employers' - is it in his contract that he could not? He also had every right to resign (or they could have fired him - either or).

I just think this whole thing is a circus.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:16:52 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »

It's not about blaming the coaches.  Assuming you are both correct with regards to the dearth of talent, Capello knew of this situation going in and accepted the challenge of improving England's fortunes, he has not.  Bottomline is that this is a performance-based profession, and however legitimate we might think the reasons are for the mediocrity under his watch, there's no denying that he has been mediocre as a manager.  It's not that unreasonable to have expected better results.

-------------------

EDIT: Just reading that Capello posted the best winning percentage of any England manager the past 70 years.

lol Nice edit!! :P
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »
All right, but I still disagree. If Terry were to be found not guilty, should the FA tuck their tails in-between their legs and reinstated him as Captain? Would their sacking of him been justified if it turned out that all the allegations were false?

They wouldn't have to tuck their tails... as I said, it's a suspension of a "privilege" not a punishment.  Plenty precedent for that, and in the end the employee is restored to his/her previous standing without the employer have to metaphorically tuck its tail between its legs.

It is principle against principle. There was enough negative scrutiny on Terry to prevent things 'going on as usual' and I think the FA were high-handed in their actions (removing him from the captaincy and thus undermining Capello as manager). They should have met behind closed doors and discussed the matter and arrived at a decision that would allow Capello the semblance of authority he needs at the same time allowing the FA to 'take a stance'.

Capello was given every opportunity to act... is not as you making it seem like they publicly were trying to undermine or infringe upon his authority to discipline is players.  Besides, this would not have been a disciplinary matter but rather more akin to an administrative leave from the captaincy.

It is not as though Capello has never shown the ability to discipline his players when allegations are proved true - did he not remove the Captain's armband from Terry over the Wayne Bridge affair?

Again, not about discipline... Terry wasn't being disciplined for anything, not at this point at least.

I don't give Capello wrong for feeling aggrieved - and worse yet their very hostile response to his expressing the opinions. He has every right to 'speak out against his employers' - is it in his contract that he could not? He also had every right to resign (or they could have fired him - either or).

Sure he has a right to voice his opinion... and his employers would have had the right to discipline and/or terminate him.  I don't think you would dare publicly contradict your employer and not expect some repercussion... would you?

---------------------

Per his record, that he was better than all English managers the past 70 yrs itself isn't dispositive... some of the others, how long were they employed for?  In the modern era, how does the length of his tenure compare to others?  Was he indeed 'good'. or just the best of a bad lot?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
Lots of money involved, Hiddink will show up with his wheel barrow ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
He hear Harry was cleared today, so he decide to make it look like he wanted to resign. He done know the axe was coming  ;D

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »

They wouldn't have to tuck their tails... as I said, it's a suspension of a "privilege" not a punishment.  Plenty precedent for that, and in the end the employee is restored to his/her previous standing without the employer have to metaphorically tuck its tail between its legs.

Capello was given every opportunity to act... is not as you making it seem like they publicly were trying to undermine or infringe upon his authority to discipline is players.  Besides, this would not have been a disciplinary matter but rather more akin to an administrative leave from the captaincy.

Again, not about discipline... Terry wasn't being disciplined for anything, not at this point at least.

Sure he has a right to voice his opinion... and his employers would have had the right to discipline and/or terminate him.  I don't think you would dare publicly contradict your employer and not expect some repercussion... would you?

---------------------

Per his record, that he was better than all English managers the past 70 yrs itself isn't dispositive... some of the others, how long were they employed for?  In the modern era, how does the length of his tenure compare to others?  Was he indeed 'good'. or just the best of a bad lot?

If I was upset enough I would have said what I had to say and then resign, like Capello did.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 05:58:04 PM »
Hard luck Capello...but...I eh totally blame him.

1) As the manager....he has the right to pick his captain.
Terry shoulda respect the office and step down. Chelsea requested that the trial be put after the season....and obviously after the Euros....hence the date. Yes....he innocent until proven guilty. But.. Knowing that he couldnt be cleared before the tournament....stepping down woulda at least allow him to maintain some modicum of honor....given his list of transgressions. He didnt...capello is the kinda person who judges captains based on their field performance. He didnt initially take the armband from Terry with the wayne bridge saga..but after behind the scene pressure he did. Which is why he took it back from Rio...(in a somewhat poor manner too) and...there they are today.

2) Best thing to do given the cliques etc due to this whole situation...and the dubious team quality....Euros kinda doomed to failure. Take in front before it take you.

3) The FA should have met with him before....explain this to him quiet and deal with it...ideally before he confirmed Terry as captain. This is a serious thing.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:04:06 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
Harry or Lucky Guus.. everyone else can f**k off

Glad the Italian is off.. England needs an expressive coach who will allow them to enjoy football

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »
Bwahaha!
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »
Harry or Lucky Guus.. everyone else can f**k off

Glad the Italian is off.. England needs an expressive coach who will allow them to enjoy football

You does spend too much time imitating dem dotish Brits on dem ManU messageboards.

1]; } ?>