April 28, 2024, 05:49:28 PM

Author Topic: Making Naval History again!  (Read 3355 times)

truetrini

Making Naval History again!
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/u-s-navy-to-test-32-megajoule-em-railgun-in-the-coming-weeks/

he United States Navy will receive the industries first 32 megajoule EM Railgun prototype and begin testing in the coming weeks.

The Office of Naval Research (ONR) announced today that they will begin testing an advanced Electromagnetic Railgun (EMR) within the next few weeks. The development and testing of this advanced EMR is the result of a $21 million contract awarded to BAE Systems by the Office of Naval Research roughly two years ago. For those that may not know, the ONR is the office within the United States Department of the Navy that facilitates all science and technology programs for the U.S Navy and Marine Corps through various institutions, such as universities and government laboratories.

While most munitions both heavy and small depend on chemical propellants (like gunpowder), the EM Railgun launcher (as you may have guessed from its name) utilizes magnetic energy instead. The EM Railgun propels a conductive projectile along metal rails using a magnetic field powered by electricity. The magnetic field produced by the high electric currents thrusts a sliding metal conductor between two rails to launch a projectile at velocities of 4,500 to 5,600 mph. By contrast, the average velocity of a chemical propelled weapon is limited to about 2,700 give or take.

So what does that mean? Well, this increased velocity should allow for the Navy to reach targets of up to 50 to 100 nautical miles away or, if you’re inner sea-dog is a little rusty, about 57 to 115 miles out. Navy planners hope to eventually increase that range even further to distances up to 220 nautical miles (253 miles).

According to ONR, this increase velocity and extended range will give sailors multi-mission capability, and allow them to conduct precise naval surface fire support. In addition, ONR states that the EM Railgun may provide effective ballistic missile defense.

BAE Systems EM Railgun was delivered to the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Dahlgren on January 30, 2012 and features a 32-megajoule payload. To add some perspective, one megajoule of energy is equivalent to a one ton car traveling at 100 miles per hour.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Making Naval History again!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
Very impressive machinery!  5,600 mph!!..very impressive indeed.
On another note, isn't BAE Systems the same company that was contracted to provide the 3 OPVs for the TTCG?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
Very impressive machinery!  5,600 mph!!..very impressive indeed.
On another note, isn't BAE Systems the same company that was contracted to provide the 3 OPVs for the TTCG?

Yep is the same BAE!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
Just now Dutty coming and say how dat turret looking like ah toetee.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
But Bae "not good enough" to build our OPV. A bunch of disrespectful lieing little people.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »
Just now Dutty coming and say how dat turret looking like ah toetee.

hahahahahahahaha  yuh f**king killing meh here!  hahahahahahahahaha

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
ok f**k bakes ah deading here..hahahahahahaha

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »

You and dutty like dem kinah talk... allyuh nastiness

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »

wey yuh see me engaging in pahllic discussions?  That is for warmonga and Dutty..not me breds.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »

What is the scale of this thing ? What sort of projectile?
To deliver a payload 200miles away without liquid propulsion will be taking warfare to the next level and you can imagine how quickly the technology will improve. In fact this could potentially have a massive impact on military superiority, it could eventually almost level the playing field if you take nukes out of the equation.
Ah want de woman on de bass

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »

To deliver a payload 200miles away without liquid propulsion will be taking warfare to the next level and you can imagine how quickly the technology will improve. In fact this could potentially have a massive impact on military superiority, it could eventually almost level the playing field if you take nukes out of the equation.

How it go level playing field if is US patent military hardware....it moves the us years further than they already are..dais all.  Level the enemy yuh mean?? covered by ITAR rules, no way that technology getting to anyone else in a hurry, and when it does rech dem the US done improve and move on to something else..doh get tied up

Leh meh explain how this shit works in easy to understand parlance fuh yuh:

In railgun physics, the magnitude of the force vector can be determined from a form of the Biot–Savart law and a result of the Lorentz force. It can be derived mathematically in terms of the permeability constant (μ0), the radius of the rails (which are assumed to be circular in cross section) (r), the distance between the centerpoints of the rails (d) and the current in amps through the system (I) as follows:

It can be shown from the Biot-Savart law that the magnetic field at a given distance (s) from a semi-infinite current-carrying wire is given by:

So, in the space between two semi-infinite wires separated by a distance, d, the magnitude of the field is:

To obtain the average magnetic field in the space between the two wires, we assume that r is small compared with d and compute the following integral:

By the Lorentz force law, the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire is given by IdB, so since the width of the conductive projectile is d, we have

The formula is based on the assumption that the distance (l) between the point where the force (F) is measured and the beginning of the rails is greater than the separation of the rails (d) by a factor of about 3 or 4 (l > 3d). Some other simplifying assumptions have also been made; to describe the force more accurately, the geometry of the rails and the projectile must be considered.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:48:57 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »
wey yuh see me engaging in pahllic discussions?  That is for warmonga and Dutty..not me breds.

I on kicks man..

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 12:10:43 AM »

I on kicks man..

Dutty and Ribbit like Obama missile doh

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »

I understand the physics and dynamics in principle (similar to monorail already in use in Japan and Germany), but as a delivery system the question I have is what is the size of the payload at this time, are they just projectiles without a warhead?
The problem with keeping this secret is not as simple as not disclosing the design but the fact that the theory is easily understood and the US does not have a lock on all the weapons designers in the world.
Ah want de woman on de bass

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »

I understand the physics and dynamics in principle (similar to monorail already in use in Japan and Germany), but as a delivery system the question I have is what is the size of the payload at this time, are they just projectiles without a warhead?
The problem with keeping this secret is not as simple as not disclosing the design but the fact that the theory is easily understood and the US does not have a lock on all the weapons designers in the world.

you think if this was easily duplicated the US Military would announce it?  lol  This is far advanced to anything anywhere else bro.   Heat generated alone makes this a wonder weapon!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »
that is some serious fire power there
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:58 AM »

allyuh eh lie

since yuh biggest phallus crumblin from the inside...it look like de surgeon want to cut it off.

yuh hadda pull out ah new symbol......military-industrial complex is de new richest man anyway, so ah literal big golden gun seems appropriate
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
Yuh on my Golden gun again...I am cognizant well enough to see your admiration and desire for it...BUT for one thing, I don't share it with men.  And,,,,and, even if I did, I would not want ah frozen northern bamsee to plant it in.

Therefore Dutty, look towards Canada's own and wine to de side!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
Yuh on my Golden gun again...I am cognizant well enough to see your admiration and desire for it...BUT for one thing, I don't share it with men. And,,,,and, even if I did, I would not want ah frozen northern bamsee to plant it in.

yuh does just give? but doh share? very generous  :beermug:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:33:57 AM by pecan »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
Yuh on my Golden gun again...I am cognizant well enough to see your admiration and desire for it...BUT for one thing, I don't share it with men. And,,,,and, even if I did, I would not want ah frozen northern bamsee to plant it in.

yuh does just give? but doh share? very generous  :beermug:

another lustful wish...wasted though, I give but to females, unless yuh wearing rosettes on yuh drawers, forget my gun.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
ah glad tt-sc rekognize ah good hard structure.......we did build it for she......but she cyah handle it
notice we had to put ah ring about ah third of the way down

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
Yeah I see allyuh build it for she, and she is French...ent allyuh is half french..incestuous bastards!

But seriously, I thought that ring was for your pleasure....like in ribbed for her pleasure..it was ribbed for yours???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »

How it go level playing field if is US patent military hardware....it moves the us years further than they already are..dais all.  Level the enemy yuh mean?? covered by ITAR rules, no way that technology getting to anyone else in a hurry, and when it does rech dem the US done improve and move on to something else..doh get tied up

Leh meh explain how this shit works in easy to understand parlance fuh yuh:

In railgun physics, the magnitude of the force vector can be determined from a form of the Biot–Savart law and a result of the Lorentz force. It can be derived mathematically in terms of the permeability constant (μ0), the radius of the rails (which are assumed to be circular in cross section) (r), the distance between the centerpoints of the rails (d) and the current in amps through the system (I) as follows:

It can be shown from the Biot-Savart law that the magnetic field at a given distance (s) from a semi-infinite current-carrying wire is given by:

So, in the space between two semi-infinite wires separated by a distance, d, the magnitude of the field is:

To obtain the average magnetic field in the space between the two wires, we assume that r is small compared with d and compute the following integral:

By the Lorentz force law, the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire is given by IdB, so since the width of the conductive projectile is d, we have

The formula is based on the assumption that the distance (l) between the point where the force (F) is measured and the beginning of the rails is greater than the separation of the rails (d) by a factor of about 3 or 4 (l > 3d). Some other simplifying assumptions have also been made; to describe the force more accurately, the geometry of the rails and the projectile must be considered.

Them formulae is a piece ah cake.   ;D

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
Mach 8...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqlTXwLG40

Bae

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWHMIz-wTa4&feature=related

The kinetic kill energy of this thing is off the chain...

Railgun made simple: (studied this when we made prototypes of homopolar motors)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2-Qb3fUYs&feature=fvwrel

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:50:16 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
all by products of volta go down to tesla's work, dating back to the 19th century.

the US military industrial complex is far ahead of this tech already, this is just a small taste of what has already been developed. in fact this was revealed most likely for commercialization.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
all by products of volta go down to tesla's work, dating back to the 19th century.

the US military industrial complex is far ahead of this tech already, this is just a small taste of what has already been developed. in fact this was revealed most likely for commercialization.

Good point you make there. It reminds me how the US military was using GPS way before it even became known or put into commercial use. I can only imagine what military secrets they have locked up that we dont know about.
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »

The biggest secret so far is that Canada is NOT a real country.   shhhhhhhhhh!

Good point you make there. It reminds me how the US military was using GPS way before it even became known or put into commercial use. I can only imagine what military secrets they have locked up that we dont know about.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
 :rotfl:
Youtube Channel

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »

What about Al Gore's amazing internet? The Army/DOD was sending email and using the internet long before we were able to converse like this.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »

doh study dem...all dem GPS technology dey copy from the aliens dey have lock up in Area 51

1]; } ?>