March 29, 2024, 12:06:36 AM

Author Topic: Ancestral Heritage  (Read 6855 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Ancestral Heritage
« on: October 03, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »
 Ah boi sometimes we does forget:

http://www.centrelink.org/Forte.html

Very thoughtful read.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Ancestral Heritage
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 09:24:38 PM »
How do you come across these things?  Google?

Good stuff.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 07:48:08 AM »
Dcs,
  I am a  part time private consultant   in 'International Cultural Studies'
 My advocacy is one which supports diversity.  We are a nation besieged my  arising tide of  diverse identities. We emerged from that era f seperate closed identities to a NATIONAL IDENTITY, but it seems that when certain topics like politics  comes to the forefront, we become very 'guarded' private and  our ethinicity seems to play a role in our decision making.
Factors  which may infulence this  may be our personal sense of  a heritage or legacy of disenfranchisement, our historical remembrance of groups which did not share in the POWER , Privilege or STATUS of a country. For too long we have embodied a cultural network of  vestiges to colonial thinking of 'divide and conquer' to influence, control and divide our peoples. I think is time we rid ourselves from the shakles of deprave thinking to libertae our mind to possibilities orf greatness we can achive as a united nation.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 07:20:13 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:17:31 AM »
Dcs,
  I am a private consultant  with a post graduate degree in 'International Cultural Studies'
 My advocacy is one which supports diversity.  We are anation besieged my  arising tide of  diverse identities. We emerged from that era to a NATIONAL IDENTITY, but it seems that when certain topics like politics  comes to the forefront, we become very 'guarded' private and  our ethinicity seems to play a role in our decision making.
Factors  which may infulence this  may be our personal sense of  a heritage or legacy of disenfranchisement, our historical remembrance of groups which did not share in the POWER , Privilege or STATUS of a country. For toolong we have embodied a cultural network of  vestiges to colonial though of 'divide and conquer' to influence . control and divide our peoples.

I'd like to hear you comment on the how our leaders have affected economic and social conditions in Trinidad.....using Economic indicators.

How has our GDP performed under each leader ?
How has our Inflation changed ?
What are the factors that have influenced the change in our exchange rate over time, and how have our leaders influenced that ?
What is the position of our Balance of Trade ? How have our leaders influenced trade via tariffs, quotas & other trade restrictions ?
What has been their level of union participation, and how do you think that has affected output ?
What is the position of our Budget deficit/surplus ? How has our gov't used monetary or fiscal policy to stimulate demand, or to affect money supply in the face of our recessions and boom(s) ?
How have our political leaders developed our communities ?
What have they done to empower the private sector, and to encourage social conscience amongst our corporations ?
What were their positions on welfare & medicare etc ?
What have they done in the department of National defense especially in times of a continously rising crime rate ?
What have our various leaders done to effect change in our education system ?

Talk to me about the real issues Alberta. I'm not trying to call anyone out. I would like to hear someone talk about Politics from the stand point of the issues that really count. I would like to become more politically and sociall aware, however I am ignorant as to what our leaders have done with respect to these real issues because no one ever talks about them. People bicker back and forth about race....and everyone claims that they don't make political decisions based on race.......but no one really says what they actually make their decisions on.... What issues have guided your opinions Alberta ? Drop the round about flowery & fluffy language and tell it straight.....I don't hold you accountable for all knowledge, but you obiviously have a passion for discussion when it comes to politics and the social environment, so I'd like to hear your take, if you don't mind.....even if you want to just address one of the above issues.

Tell me what you know in your own words, and back it up with substantiated facts and figures if you can..........

I'm genuinely interested.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »
Kicker,
Those are very valid questions you have posed. Honestly, It would take some indepth research to explore those answers and men with an economic background to get at the precise answers. But from a layman's perspective,my gut feelings may tell me that not one of our leaders have been overly successful in those areas.

Mind you our debt to the IMF and the decline in our TT dollar on he world market compounded with a host of national mismanagement may  all be contributory factors. It appears that which each successive leader, the other inherits a legacy of  work which has to be 'fixed before they could successively carry on with the agenda they  promised.

You  can see then that our leaders and our political system has not beeen without fault. I would like to see soem indepth research done  to the questions you posed.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 06:49:29 PM »
we still owing the IMF and World Bank?..if that is so then thats real madness  >:(
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
Kicker,
Those are very valid questions you have posed. Honestly, It would take some indepth research to explore those answers and men with an economic background to get at the precise answers. But from a layman's perspective,my gut feelings may tell me that not one of our leaders have been overly successful in those areas.

Mind you our debt to the IMF and the decline in our TT dollar on he world market compounded with a host of national mismanagement may  all be contributory factors. It appears that which each successive leader, the other inherits a legacy of  work which has to be 'fixed before they could successively carry on with the agenda they  promised.

You  can see then that our leaders and our political system has not beeen without fault. I would like to see soem indepth research done  to the questions you posed.

I suspect that most people (including myself), don't know the answers to most of those questions, yet people jump on political bandwagons passionately........That's the point I was trying to make........What are we passionate about ?

It just makes you wonder.......

You spoke about the educated voter........If we as voters are ignorant of the real issues that strengthen a society and a nation, and therefore don't make decisions based on such, we will always be led by fools...........

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 01:22:05 AM »
Well Kicker,
Sometimes in the most advanced nations (See USA new Orleans fiasco), there are failures. The hope at times resides with  our leaders to make decisions which may alleviate the situation ot the predicament that countries are in.

I am not sure that knowing the specific answers to all these very specific questions necessarily mean that we are unable to make astute choices.  We do have daily 'lived' experiences and  are impacted by some of the decisions or non decisions of those in power. If it's one thing, most peole don't have to know all the answers to have an opinion on politics, political leaders and political systems. The fact is that unlike brain surgeons, or engingneers, people do have a basic understanding of how a leader may be influencing thier life. The questiion is : Is that baisc knowledge enough from which one can make an informed critical choice?

It is that leader's responsibility to  ensure that the party's political agenda is one which benefits  and impacts the majority of  acountry's citizens in a positive way.  I doubt that the average man will be able to knowledgeably assess a governing body based on all the questions yet  he may be able to  articulate what impact and what effect a governing body is having on society, a way of life and the nation in general. Do you think that will suffice in assisting folks to make informed choices about leadership?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 07:15:03 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 07:28:10 AM »
No doubt...You are absolutely correct....I would never expect anyone to know the specific answers....But a broad knowledge of such is healthy I think........

I also think that in deciding who you choose to be a leader, one should at least have one real issue close to heart, be knowledgeable about it and decide based on how that leader affects that issue...or else the voting public will be blind and therefore make decisions based on superficial characteristics such as race, religion, hairstyle, good-looks, or who shouts the loudest and cracks the best jokes on the podium.

Hitler was a great leader............So was Martin Luther King Jr......They were both inspirational and were able to solicit a huge and passionate following.........

the difference between them was in the issues that they addressed,
the difference between their followers was the issues that they held close to their hearts........
the difference between their impact on society............speaks for itself

........get my point ?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 09:17:28 AM »
Politicians also focus on things they know the public is paying attention to.
So if there is no discussion about things like our debt to the IMF then it gets pushed down their priority list when making decisions.

The real question is how do we as a country shift our focus and decision making from emotional and instinctive cues to more rational and relevant analysis of ideology and issues.  Is it reasonable to expect the man on the street to worry about inflation or trade deficits when our politicans may be tempted to dupe them with propaganda?  They may be more inclined to focus on things they are comfortable with and what they believe have a more direct impact on them. (CEPEP, URP , Caroni Ltd , CSME, Money for Crime).  I not trying to sell them short but those things seem to draw the most votes.

One way would be to have some actual debates on issues decided upon by leading minds in the country.  That way the public can judge on a range of issues and hopefully get some understanding from the talk.

Right now we just have a set of rallies where they can spew nonsense and are not held accountable on the spot.

One thing for sure is that we can't depend on the politicians to take charge of implementing anything to encourage a change.

P.S.
You really have me wondering about the IMF now considering the size of the last few budgets.....I remember there was talk about it years ago but since then I have heard almost nothing of it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 09:19:06 AM by dcs »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 10:03:44 AM »
They may be more inclined to focus on things they are comfortable with and what they believe have a more direct impact on them. (CEPEP, URP , Caroni Ltd , CSME, Money for Crime).  I not trying to sell them short but those things seem to draw the most votes.

Well those are real issues too.......I was just giving other examples because my background is in economics and business.....but crime is a very very pertinent example of a real issue in Trinidad.....how much of our voting preference is contingent on how the politicians are addressing the social situation in Trinidad that leads to such an alarming crime rate.....yes we are concerned with crime from a self preservationist perspective, but are we really actively concerned with what is being done on a social level to affect the crime rate ? I don't know if we are......
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:37:48 PM by Tallman »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 01:33:17 PM »
We pay back IMF......and were one of the few developing nations to follow their reform guidlines and policies and come tru. It is a feat envied by many.

When IMF lays down structural reform policies in an attempt for borrowing countries to be able to pay back their loans very few countries are acutally able to follow their procedures, repay the amt owed and come out of debt. The result..they go back running for another loan.

TT is fortunate we doe owe dem nuttin.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>