April 19, 2024, 08:17:44 PM

Author Topic: Africa Cup of Nations 2012  (Read 9760 times)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Africa Cup of Nations 2012
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
for the lives that were lost on the zambian team
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1020391/moonda:-zambia-may-have-destiny-on-their-side?cc=5739

Romantics will watch and read the story of the Zambian football team's poignant visit to a Gabon beach with a tingling feeling on their skin as goosebumps form and a stinging in their eyes as they blink back tears. Few sporting tales cause such emotion and this one could not have been scripted any better.

GettyImages
History boys: Zambia are led in training by coach Herve Renaud.
Nineteen years ago, Zambia's best footballers were all killed when their plane caught fire and crashed into the sea en route to a World Cup qualifier against Senegal in Dakar. The ocean where they perished is half a kilometre off the coast of Libreville, where the class of 2012 will play the African Nations' Cup final on Sunday. One player from generation 1993 avoided that fate. Kalusha Bwalya was travelling from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven direct to Dakar. Now, he is president of the Zambian Football Association.

Bwalya led the current crop of Zambian footballers in a moving mourning parade on Thursday. They group sang a traditional Zambian funeral song, laid down flowers and were led by their captain, Christopher Katongo, in a pray for their countrymen. According to the Lusaka Times, as the first flower was swept away by the waves, the thunder roared even louder and a ray of sunshine broke through the overhead cloud.

"You may be gone, but you will never be forgotten. We've come here 19 years after to pay tribute and to say thank you for everything that you did for mother Zambia," Bwalya said to his former team-mates. Then, he turned to the men who will take the field on Sunday. "I'm sure the boys up there will be watching."

Call it enormous expectation, call it destiny, call it one of the little miracles that make sport about so much more than a game, but this what Zambia have to play for. The only thing standing between them and a poetic ending are 11 Ivorians. Not just any Ivorians, the golden generation of the country's footballers who have their own destiny to fulfil.

With one of the most high-profile line-ups in the tournament, consisting of Didier Drogba, Gervinho, Salomon Kalou and the Toure brothers, Ivory Coast have the reputation to go all the way. With a clean sheen in all five matches they have played in the tournament so far, they have shown they also have the class. The last time they went the entire tournament without conceding a goal, in 1992, they won it.

It's not the last chance for these players, because with the ANC being moved to odd-numbered years, they will have another shot next year, but is it probably their best chance. Their coach, Francois Zahoi, has emphasised that substance over style would be preferred, saying he would not even mind victory if it came "with a header from a corner in the last minute of extra time".

So far, the Elephants have done exactly what has been required of them, only in the quarter-final drilling their opposition, co-hosts Equatorial Guinea. In the last four, it was a moment of individual brilliance from Gervinho that pushed them through. Still, they have the best passing record in the tournament, are joint with Zambia on scoring the most goals and their marquee player, African Footballer of the Year, Yaya Toure, has been the front-runner in assists in the event.

A team with names such as these has immense pressure to win the tournament, having come this far and reached the final in an almost casual manner. They are strong upfront, talented in midfield and unbreakable in defence. And they have to play a team that had 40-1 odds to win before the event started, a team that have relied on hard-work and togetherness more than anything else.

Zambia's show of strength was evident in their two victories over pre-tournament favourites en route to the final - Senegal in the group stages and Ghana in the semi-final. In the latter, Zambia relied heavily on goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene who almost singlehandedly kept Zambia in the game against Ghana, pulling out sensational stops to avoid conceding.

Their coach Herve Renaud has done a remarkable job, considering he only took over the team after they had already qualified for the tournament, late last year. He has the advantage of familiarly, having coached them before, in the 2010 ANC, before leaving to take charge of Angola followed by a stint in club football in Algeria.

GettyImages
Gervinho has starred for huge favourites Ivory Coast
His substitutions have been either very clever or very careless as he left the winning goalscorer Emmanuel Mayuka out of the starting XI in the semi-final. He said he made the decision to give Mayuka some rest and was lucky that it worked in his favour on that occasion. Renaud cannot put his final hopes on such swings in fortune and will have to put on his most shrewd tacticians hat to play one of the strongest sides on the continent.

At least the one thing he does not have to be is a motivator. The only inspiration Zambia needs they got from their trip to the beach where they reminded, in the most basic of fashions, of the people they are being asked to honour. Following the tragedy, Zambia's next football team made it all the way to ANC final in 1994. The country has asked this crop to go one better.

"It's like we're in front of one big mountain," Renaud said. "We have to climb it but we don't have a helicopter and we don't have a car. We just need to have a lot of courage and to think 'yes, we can do it'. I'm one hundred percent sure we can. If a team of substitutes was able to reach the final in 1994, why not us?"
Back in Trini...

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
The sagaboy coach could pull any woman in Zambia
Or Trini apparently  ;D

ooooohhh the Zambian coach cute!!!....

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »
that was pretty beautiful to watch.. knowing their story ..they have risen from the ashes

Congrats Zambia

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
The sagaboy coach could pull any woman in Zambia
Who's the caoch and where's he from?

A frenchman named Herve Renard.

This is he lucky shirt btw.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
I wonder if jack looking to see who get he spot on the stage next to Blatter?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
The only consolation to Ivory Coast is that they only have to wait until 2013 for the next opportunity

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »
I didn't know about the Zambian tragedy when I started watching de game.......I love fairytale endings.....

Congrats Zambia..... :applause: :applause: :flamethrower:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
:rotfl: same thing I was thinking

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »
ZAMBIA ZAMBIA ZAMBIA !!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
:rotfl: same thing I was thinking

oh gorm all yuh not nice..... :rotfl:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
Some of the best penalties I've seen. These guys have ice in their veins.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
 Congrats to Zambia. I think the Zambia nick name is Chipolopolo. The Squirrels

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
i like
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
Remembered that crash many years ago  :(

Glad for them and their country to accomplish this  :beermug:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
Benin are the Squirrels, les Ecureuils.  Zambia are the Copper Bullets.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/herve-renard-carries-injured-joseph-musonda-celebrate-zambia-010828262.html

In a scene reminiscent of U.S. women's gymnastics coach Bela Karolyi carrying Kerri Strug to collect her Olympic goal medal in 1996, Herve Renard, Zambia's 43-year-old French manager, carried injured defender Joseph Musonda to celebrate Zambia's historic first-ever African Cup of Nations title after beating the Ivory Coast in a penalty shootout. Musonda, who came off in just the 11th minute with the injury, was set down with his teammates by Renard, who then walked away to let the players celebrate their success.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CK2EYWt7L2g&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CK2EYWt7L2g&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »
I didn't know about the Zambian tragedy when I started watching de game.......I love fairytale endings.....

Congrats Zambia..... :applause: :applause: :flamethrower:

TnT have a link too. After the failed WC qualification. Zambia rebound to make it to the CAN finals in 1994. Imagine that one year after losing your whole team, you have your best CAN performance in history.

Anyway after the loss Zambia got aid from the English/UK who sent Ian Porterfield to Zambia and paid his wages, and he take them almost all the way.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
Some of the best penalties I've seen. These guys have ice in their veins.

Yeh those were good penalties.  Even after the spot get mash up.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
Benin are the Squirrels, les Ecureuils.  Zambia are the Copper Bullets.

Thanks. Misprint. I somehow mixed them up with Benin.  The Benin national football team, nicknamed Les Écureuils

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
I am also happy for Kalush Bwyla. He used to play in Mexico with club America coached at one time by no other than Beeni Man Beenhaker. He used to partner with a tall Cameronian, whose goal beat Argentina in the Itlay WC. Good player.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
Check this take from the BBC.

Meanwhile, in Abidjan, thousands of Ivorians also turned out to support their team, lining the route across the city from the airport to the players' hotel, the BBC's John James reports.

Monday was declared an official national holiday by the government despite the fact that the Elephants lost, he says.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
Big Up Zambia...ah used to beat ah smallies from dey...niceness
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>