March 28, 2024, 03:31:54 AM

Author Topic: 1965: Trinidad wins first WC qualifier.  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
1965: Trinidad wins first WC qualifier.
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:03:56 PM »
Trinidad wins first WC qualifier.

Soca Warriors became seventh team to win their opening CONCACAF World Cup Qualifier

Trinidad & Tobago became the seventh team from the Confederation to win its first-ever World Cup qualifier after defeating visiting Suriname, 4-1, at the Queen's Park Oval in Port of Spain on February 7, 1965 (for England 1966).

The Soca Warriors joined Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and the United States as CONCACAF sides to win a qualifying match on the first try.

Founded in 1908 and one of the oldest football federations in the CONCACAF region, the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) did not become a official member of FIFA until the 1964 Ordinary Congress in Tokyo, Japan.Already a CONCACAF member two years earlier, Trinidad & Tobago had already played a total of 90 international matches, winning 50, since its formation prior to its first World Cup qualifier.

"It was an historic time for Trinidad & Tobago as we had just earned our independence from being a English colony (in 1962) and the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation had just become a FIFA member so it was a great experience and joyful moment for all of us," said Alvin Corneal, who scored the Soca Warriors' game-winning goal on that significant day."We had a great expectation leading up to the match as we knew Suriname was a very strong team with many players coming from clubs in the Netherlands.

"We were able to prepare for the challenge by playing against several English clubs prior to the qualifier and our standard style of play enabled us to work well in dominating the match (against Suriname) in order to obtain a favorable result."

After forward Jeff Gellineau had opened the scoring for Trinidad & Tobago in the first 60 seconds of the Group 2 match (Corneal assisted), Siegfried Haltman leveled three minutes later for Suriname.

In the 28th minute, Corneal scored to the delight of a home crowd in excess of 32,000.

"I had been on the national team for the last 10 years so this was a special moment for me in front of such a large crowd of spectators to watch a football match at the Queen's Park Oval, which is normally a cricket stadium," remembered Corneal, an active FIFA Instructor and member of the FIFA, CONCACAF Technical Committees."Along with scoring the second goal for us, I assisted on the first and fourth."

After Andrew Aleong increased home-side's lead in the 38th minute, Corneal assisted on Aleong's second tally early in the second half, ensuring a Soca Warriors' victory.

Trinidad & Tobago's quest to reach the 1966 World Cup ended as it was eliminated from group play after losing its remaining three encounters.

"We didn't except to qualify or want to over shadow anyone," Corneal commented."We had a great experience competing and were fortunate win the first match, however, we had never been at a World Cup Qualifying match away from home and there were many different situations.

"As our coach (British Native - Conrad Brathwaite) at the time said 'away encounters are another cup of tea.'"

The Soca Warriors lost twice to Costa Rica (4-0 in San José; 1-0 in Port of Spain) and then were beaten in the return match against Suriname (6-1).

Corneal continued: "We had very difficult crowds and we especially learned a hard lesson of the usage of substitutions as we paid the penalty for it in both Costa Rica and Surinam, but we took the most positive from the experience out of them.

"In the return encounter against Costa Rica, we had another full house at the Queen's Park Oval as we controlled the game and I even missed a goal (just before Ticos scored the game-winner).Costa Rica was smart and maintained possession, while they took advantage of their opportunities as we didn't."

Two years later, Corneal joined eight other World Cup Qualifying teammates (Goalkeeper - Lincoln Phillips; DF - Tyrone De La Bastide; MD - Victor Gamaldo, Sedley Joseph; AT - Andrew Aleong, Gerry Browne, Jeff Gellineau, Pat Small) as the Soca Warriors competed in their first Pan American Games Men's Tournament in Winnipeg, Canada, where they won the bronze medal.

"The team took the learning experience from World Cup Qualifying and in our first appearance at the Pan American Games where we defeated Argentina (1-0) and Colombia (5-2) and later captured the bronze (defeated Canada 4-1), which to this day is the only medal Trinidad & Tobago has won in the Pan American Games."

Trinidad & Tobago would finally realize its FIFA World Cup dream, when it became the smallest nation to qualify for the event (Germany 2006) after winning a two-game playoff against Bahrain.

Trinidad & Tobago Roster - 1966 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

GOALKEEPER: Lincoln Phillips

DEFENDERS: Clement Clarke, Tyrone De La Bastide, Aldwyn Fergusson

MIDFIELDERS: Ken Furlonge, Victor Gamaldo, Doyle Griffith, Sedley Joseph

FORWARDS: Andrew Aleong, Gerry Browne, Alvin Corneal, Jeff Gellineau, Pat Small, Bobby Sookram.

TD: Conrad BRATHWAITE

07.02.1965: Port of Spain, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO; Queen's Park Oval (A: 32072)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO - SURINAME 4:1 (3:1)

Jeff GELLINEAU 1'; Alvin CORNEAL 28'; Andrew ALEONG 38', 46' - Siegfried HALTMAN 4'

TRI: Lincoln Phillips - Aldwyn Ferguson, Tyrone De La Bastide, Clement Clarke, Doyle Griffith, Sedley Joseph, Ken Furlonge, Andrew Aleong, Jeff Gellineau, Pat Small, Alvin Corneal.

TD: Conrad BRATHWAITE

SUR: Henk Scotsborg - Frederik Pique, Armand Sahadewsing, Ewald Sion, Raimundo Elliot, Stanley Krenten, Augustino Plein, Jules Lagadeau, Gerrit Otwald Niekoop, Siegfried Haltman, Harold Reumel.

TD: A. KADORVEEN

Ref: Theodorus KOETSIER (ANT)

"CONCACAF Retro" -- CONCACAF.com's newest weekly feature - closely examines amoment, game and/or event in the confederation's history.

Through "CONCACAF Retro" you will revisit the region's most memorable people, happenings and crowning achievements.

SOURCE - CONCACAF.COM

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: 1965: Trinidad wins first WC qualifier.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
Very nice!!! Great job sourcing this Flex!!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
no wonder dem use to call delabastide 'tank',,,,look like he had some muscle on him for a footballer in the 1960's

btw was the team called soca warriors even back then??
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
Soca wasn't even invented yet.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Soca wasn't even invented yet.

Is true...ah brain fart dey
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:43 PM »
Flex,thanks for shareing this bit of Football history with the forum,these are some of the things i hold on too because i was able to witness all these guys play and had the opportunity to play against some of them.

I was just wondering if that was the roster for that tournament because only 14 players are listed,i think for the Pan Am games players like Gwenwyn Cust,Charlie Spooner,Bertram Grell etc were there.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
Flex,thanks for shareing this bit of Football history with the forum,these are some of the things i hold on too because i was able to witness all these guys play and had the opportunity to play against some of them.

I was just wondering if that were the roster for that tournament because only 14 players are listed,i think for the Pan Am games players like Gwenwyn Cust,Charlie Spooner,Bertram Grell etc were there.

I don't think Spooner and Cust were on the PanAm team. Bobby Sookram, Jean Moutett, Bert Grell, Gerry Brown, Kelvin Berasa, Clives Niles? Aldwyn Ferguson? Hugh Mulzac? were on that team. I don't think Furlonge, Clem Clark  and Doyle Griffith were on that team.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
no wonder dem use to call delabastide 'tank',,,,look like he had some muscle on him for a footballer in the 1960's

btw was the team called soca warriors even back then??

Tyrone was indeed a tank. He had thunder thighs. He was short and fast. And for a short man he used to make a lot of heght when heading the ball. The closet player I can compair him with in terms of physical appearance is Roberto Carlos.

I have heard the past TT teams of the 50's and 60's referred to as the calypso boys.

That 66/67 team had some big and strong guys, especially in defence. At least that is how it appeared to me at that time.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:46:18 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »

I was just wondering if that was the roster for that tournament because only 14 players are listed,i think for the Pan Am games players like Gwenwyn Cust,Charlie Spooner,Bertram Grell etc were there.

TEAM: Lincoln Phillips, J. Mouttet, Tyrone De La Bastide, A. Ferguson, Selwyn Murren, H. Mulzack, Bert Grell, Sedley Joseph, V. Gamaldo, Andy Aleong, Alvin Corneal, Pat Small, Bobby Sookram, Kelvin Berassa, J. Gellineau, Q. Stewart, Gerry Browne, A. David and Lawerence Rondon.

Pan American Games 1967...wonderful Winnipeg.
Written By: Garth Wattley talks with Sedley Joseph.

Sedley Joseph will always remember 1964. That year, he married Janet, his wife of 38 years and postponed their honeymoon to win a BDV Cup final for his beloved Maple!
“If I’d played that game (against great rivals Malvern) and Maple had lost, I would have felt badly. It would have soured the whole thing,” he recalls. “But I scored the first goal and we went on to win the game by three goals to nil. That moment was very special.”
But in the mind’s eye of this national Hall of Famer, the year 1967 was also a very fine time.
A midfield inspiration, he was named the Football Association’s Player of the Year, having distinguished himself once more in the engine room of the Maple team which he led. Joseph, who captained the famous ’60s side known as “The Government” to seven League shield titles in ten years between 1960 and ‘69, also had the honour of being football’s first-ever nominee for the Sports Personality of the Year award in ‘67. Cyclist Roger Gibbon took the top prize that year for his two Pan American Games gold medals–match sprint and kilometre time trial–in recognition of his brilliant rides in Winnipeg, Canada.
But in the context of national football, what skipper Joseph and his Trinidad and Tobago team achieved at those same Games, was even more historic and significant. T&T gained a bronze medal. Some 36 years later, it is still the country’s only bit of Pan Am football hardware. And it was achieved by skipper Sedley and his side conquering some of the strongest teams in the region.
The T&T team meet the officials in a 1963 match against Suriname in Suriname. This was Joseph’s first overseas tour with the national side and it was the series that established him in the starting line-up.
It is a tournament that came a year before the end of Joseph’s nine-year career for the national team. And it is one he simply cannot forget.
“It was the first time a decision was taken to send a football team to the Pan Am Games. Even the local Olympic Committee, they did not think that we would have done well,” Joseph tells me. “Even before they knew who we were to be grouped with, our passages were booked to come back as we played our last game. They were so sure that we wouldn’t qualify.”
The officials would have been even more certain of T&T’s fate when the fixtures came out and they showed matches against Colombia, Argentina and eventual winners, Mexico.
To the consternation of everyone, perhaps even themselves, the T&T boys topped the group!
The results read this way: vs Costa Rica 5-2, vs Argentina 1-0, vs Mexico 1-1.
Almost as bewilderingly however, T&T then lost to even more-lowly Bermuda 2-1 in the semi-finals before brushing aside Canada 3-0 for bronze.
Those stunning results were achieved by a team of rich talent: Lincoln Phillips, Jean Mouttet (goalkeepers), Selwyn Murren, Bertram Grell, Tyrone de La Bastide, Hugh Mulzac (defenders), Victor Gamaldo, Sedley Joseph (midfielders), Alvin Corneal, Kelvin Berassa, Gerry Brown, Andy Aleong (forwards). Reserves: Pat Small, Arnim David, Richard Stewart.
“I don’t like to make comparisions,” says Joseph, “but it is possibly because I was a member of that team, that I think that particular 1967 team was, if not the best, one of the best Trinidad teams that I have been fortunate to either play with or have seen.”
Best or not, they have become a part of local folklore because of their wonderful Winnipeg run which started with the spectacular Colombia game.
Joseph recalls: “Colombia had us two-nil at half time and I remember distinctly...in the dressing room, I told the chaps, even before the coach who was Conrad Braithwaite had spoken to the team, this team is not a better team than we are. I think it is a question of ‘lil nerves...This team is not a better team than us and I think we can beat them.”
The skipper was even more convinced of that because of the manner in which T&T had fallen behind.
“Although we were two goals down, they were not two good goals. Lincoln Phillips probably had one of his worst days in between the uprights.”
In a dramatic second half, Joseph’s teammates set the record straight with five unanswered strikes.
As he recalls, Pat Small a first half substitute for the injured Alvin Corneal, set things up.
“As soon as Pat came, I think Andy (Aleong) crossed a ball and Pat just ran in and put it in the goal, probably with his first touch.”
Small was not finished.
“Gerry Brown dribbled some of their defence and as he was about to hit the ball in the goal, Pat came from nowhere and put it in the goal.”
The other goal details are hazy in his memory, but Joseph cannot forget the scenes at the final whistle.
“Well of course, the Colombians could not even leave the field, they were in tears because they could not understand...They never heard about Trinidad and Tobago and being two goals up at half time...”
The feelings were quite the opposite for the Trinis.
“It was joy,” says Joseph. “Everybody could not believe that we could have come back from two goals to nil. We were extremely happy because this was our first game in Pan American Games football and the thoughts were that we would finish at the bottom of the table and we were seeing now, the possibility of not finishing at the bottom of the table.”
Those possibilities took a huge leap towards reality after the encounter with the Argentines.
“From what we understood, there were a few players from their World Cup ’66 team in their Pan Am squad,” Joseph says.
But such quality did nothing to prevent a 1-0 scoreline in favour of the underdogs.
The victory was reward for a valiant rear guard.
“Our defence really played well, they were outstanding,” says Joseph. “And Lincoln Phillips was exceptional in that game. We just kept the Argentinians away from our 18-yard box and they were having serious problems.”
The heralded South Americans found it hard to cope with the consequences.
“It was pitiful. The Argentina team, they could not understand. The coach was speechless, the players were on the ground, because again, Trinidad and Tobago was a non-entity in football....
“We were happy, jumping all over the place, beating Argentina, another feather in our cap because it meant we had won two games and were almost sure of qualifying for the next round.”
The two early triumphs gave the T&T players a great lift. Perhaps too much of a lift according to their captain.
“We probably started to get a little cocky, a little overconfident.”
Such overconfidence didn’t show in the draw with Mexico where a Tyrone de La Bastide penalty secured the point that ensured T&T topped the group. But it did, tellingly, in the semis against the Bermudians.
“We paid the penalty,” says Joseph. “If we played Bermuda every other day of the week, ten out of ten times we will beat Bermuda. We went into that game overconfident. I remember distinctly when we went for lunch the day of the game, everybody went into this big room...The Bermuda team, their coach made sure they ate vegetables, nothing too heavy, and Kelvin Berassa who was the joker on the team, he turned to the coach and told him: No matter what you all eat today, allyuh go get beat badly!”
It did not work out that way.
Hear Joseph: “We went into the game obviously thinking that it was only a matter of time that we would score against Bermuda and we missed some very easy chances...The first opportunity Bermuda got, a ball came across from the side, and Clyde Best, who played for West Ham in the English League, hit a volley that Lincoln had no chance from outside the box. It just flew past everybody.”
The score remained 1-0 at half time.
“The coach Conrad Braithwaite was blue. But we still had the confidence, as we did against Colombia. And before we knew what happened, it was two-nil. Another one came across, and I don’t remember the chap’s name–outside the area again–and he blasted it and it flew past Lincoln. Well, we fought back and we scored one, and it was literally backs and forwards for the last 30 minutes of the game.”
The loss was a singular lesson in humility. And it also left Joseph and his mates with a bittersweet feeling which the subsequent Canada win could not quite wipe away.
“For two reasons,” explains Joseph, “we were really down in the dumps in the sense that we missed a chance of playing for the gold medal against a team we had already drawn with, in addition to which, the Mexican manager had spoken to Eric James who was then top man in Trinidad football, and told him that if Mexico were playing us in the final, Mexico would pay an all expenses trip for the Trinidad team to come to Mexico. So we missed out on a chance to play for the gold medal, and also missed out on a trip to Mexico!”
On reflection though, Joseph was happy to settle for an historic bronze.
“It was eventually a feeling of elation in that we knew that we had done better than anyone expected of us.” Oh, wonderful Winnipeg.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
I'm trying to breakdown that team a bit,i don't know if anyone want to add anything,that team has 11 North and 8 South players,it also has 5 Regiment and 4 Maple players.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
I'm trying to breakdown that team a bit,i don't know if anyone want to add anything,that team has 11 North and 8 South players,it also has 5 Regiment and 4 Maple players.

That is how it was Coops. Regiment, Maple, Malvern in North. Shell, BP Palo Seco, Police(South) juniors in South. Clem Clarke was the only non-north/south player in the 65 WC squad. The PanAm was strictly N/S. I did not realize Selwyn was on that team. He must be was young then.

There is something in the article which I think they should let every youth in TT read.

We probably started to get a little cocky, a little overconfident.”
Such overconfidence didn’t show in the draw with Mexico where a Tyrone de La Bastide penalty secured the point that ensured T&T topped the group. But it did, tellingly, in the semis against the Bermudians.
“We paid the penalty,” says Joseph. “If we played Bermuda every other day of the week, ten out of ten times we will beat Bermuda. We went into that game overconfident. I remember distinctly when we went for lunch the day of the game, everybody went into this big room...The Bermuda team, their coach made sure they ate vegetables, nothing too heavy, and Kelvin Berassa who was the joker on the team, he turned to the coach and told him: No matter what you all eat today, allyuh go get beat badly!”

The loss was a singular lesson in humility. And it also left Joseph and his mates with a bittersweet feeling which the subsequent Canada win could not quite wipe away.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

That is how it was Coops. Regiment, Maple, Malvern in North. Shell, BP Palo Seco, Police(South) juniors in South. Clem Clarke was the only non-north/south player in the 65 WC squad. The PanAm was strictly N/S. I did not realize Selwyn was on that team. He must be was young then.

There is something in the article which I think they should let every youth in TT read.

We probably started to get a little cocky, a little overconfident.”

Do you know it have a player from Tobago on that team?an excellent forward you don't hear about at all.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
      Do you know it have a player from Tobago on that team?an excellent forward you don't hear about at all.

Coops, I did not know of any Tobago player on the team at that time. The first Tobago player that I know came into prominence was a guy named Telesford Daley. He made a minor splash as the first 'Bago player. He was in the squad when Chelsea and Southampton came to TT in 71 or 72. He played for Malvern. I thought Dennis Morgan was from Tobago, But I was told he went to youth camp there(I could be wrong. Anybody?).

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

Coops, I did not know of any Tobago player on the team at that time. The first Tobago player that I know came into prominence was a guy named Telesford Daley. He made a minor splash as the first 'Bago player. He was in the squad when Chelsea and Southampton came to TT in 71 or 72. He played for Malvern. I thought Dennis Morgan was from Tobago, But I was told he went to youth camp there(I could be wrong. Anybody?).
       If you look on the roster you will see Q Stewart but his name was Richard Stewart they used to call him the Train,he used to play for Regiment,he was before Denis Morgan and Telesford Daly i knew those guys,i'm sure you know him but again in those days Tobago players was never highlighted all people knew was he was from North,you never heard him play for any other team but Regiment,he still lives in Tobago. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:36:56 PM by Coop's »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
Well Coops, This is new to me. I have heard about Richard Stewart, but I can't remember seeing him play. We did not do videos long time. But I grow up knowing Teleford is the first Tobago player to make TT, not knowing Richard Stewart was really the man. But maybe Doc or Sugar can interview him and send it to Soca Warriors forum. We would be delighted to hear from him, seeing that he was on such an important team in the history of TT.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:32:02 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago's first ever World Cup Qualifying match. A 4-1 win over Suriname at the Queen's Park Oval on February 7th 1965. The goalscorers were Jeff Gellineau (1'), Alvin Corneal (28'), and Andy Aleong (38', 46').

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E5u6_l_tz6M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E5u6_l_tz6M</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 11:25:13 AM »
Very cool

This was the lineup reported by Reuters

https://ttfootballhistory.com/node/913

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Feb. 5 (Reuters):

TRINIDAD'S World Cup Football team for their, group 2 North and Central American Zone tie with Surinam here on Sunday will be chosen from:

Lincoln Phillips, Aldwyn Ferguson, Tyrone Delabastide, Clem Clarke, Sedley Joseph (captain), Ken Furlonge, Andy Leong, Jeff Gellineau, Pat Small, Alvin Corneal, Trevor Leacock, Victor Gamaldo, and Bobby Sookram.

The differences with that listed in the video notes are: Gerry Brown, Doyle Griffith and no Trevor Leacock.   

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
By the way, most people don't know that not Jamaica, Haiti, or Cuba but  Suriname is the Caribbean nation with the winningest record against T&T...

Wasn't Warren  Archibald, A.K.A “Laga” on that team. I didn't notice his name in the lineup.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
By the way, most people don't know that not Jamaica, Haiti, or Cuba but  Suriname is the Caribbean nation with the winningest record against T&T...

Wasn't Warren  Archibald, A.K.A “Laga” on that team. I didn't notice his name in the lineup.

I think Archibald was in high school at the time. St. Benedict's College in La Romain, San Fernando. He was on the 1970 WC team that played all the matches away to Haiti and Guatemala. TT lost 2, won 1 and drew 2. Yes, Suriname may have a winning against TT. I remember in the 60s and 70s most of our WC games were against Suriname because of proximity. But the Surinamese were all excellent ball players. They have had professional who lived in Holland. In the return game in Suriname, they brought their pros from Holland and destroyed us 6-1.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »

According to my data, T&T has a winning record against Suriname.

Archibald came on the national scene in 1967.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »

Well, you could be right if you're looking at https://www.11v11.com. More often than not, their Caribbean records are different than the Oficial FIFA record. Is Archibald by the way still alive? This guy was so much fun to be around and watch in Haiti in 1973. He joined the street band heading to the stadium when T&T wasn't playing..he acted like he was a Haitian and had been in the country forever....He promised the Haitians the victory and asked them to stay put and at ease and guarantee a win against Mexico.... Haiti needed  Mexico to lose to be out of the world cup mix so bad.... When the T&T Bus pulled up to the stadium parking lot from the hotel before the Mexico game..while he was getting off the bus, his left hand had shown a  big O and his right hand 4 fingers to the awaited Haitian fans...another T&T player claimed that Mexico is for dinner this evening.... the rest is history.. to the delight of the Haitian fans...T&T 4 Mexico 0...I don't think no Caribbean teams ever beat Mexico before or after by 4 goals..That 1973 night was special.. Glad to have been at that game......I don't think we will ever see that again .. "a Caribbean team beating Mexico by 4 goals in a serious competition".... at least not in this century..LOL
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:34:50 PM by truehaitian »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 02:10:47 AM »

Well, you could be right if you're looking at https://www.11v11.com. More often than not, their Caribbean records are different than the Oficial FIFA record. Is Archibald by the way still alive? This guy was so much fun to be around and watch in Haiti in 1973. He joined the street band heading to the stadium when T&T wasn't playing..he acted like he was a Haitian and had been in the country forever....He promised the Haitians the victory and asked them to stay put and at ease and guarantee a win against Mexico.... Haiti needed  Mexico to lose to be out of the world cup mix so bad.... When the T&T Bus pulled up to the stadium parking lot from the hotel before the Mexico game..while he was getting off the bus, his left hand had shown a  big O and his right hand 4 fingers to the awaited Haitian fans...another T&T player claimed that Mexico is for dinner this evening.... the rest is history.. to the delight of the Haitian fans...T&T 4 Mexico 0...I don't think no Caribbean teams ever beat Mexico before or after by 4 goals..That 1973 night was special.. Glad to have been at that game......I don't think we will ever see that again .. "a Caribbean team beating Mexico by 4 goals in a serious competition".... at least not in this century..LOL

As far as we know, he is still alive. I don't know if he is in Brooklyn or TT. Of note, Archie had 2 younger brother who played also. Milton played for the Defence Force team, Malvern FC, and he also played a couple games for TT. In the beginning he was in Warren's shadow. He played left wing also. Was not as dynamic as Warren but was very good. Enough to earn a national call up. He  move to an attacking mid-field where  he excelled. But during that time TT did not play much international football. I don't think he was that interested in national team football. But he was a very good player. I was told that he was an excellent field hockey player also. His other brother , Bede played for TT U-19. I don't know much about him though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:24:18 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>