April 16, 2024, 07:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Olympic footballers seek winning blend  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympic footballers seek winning blend
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:50:08 AM »
Olympic footballers seek winning blend… Hyland and Primus can lift U-23s
By Lasana Liburd (wired868)

The Trinidad and Tobago national football team has only managed a top two CONCACAF finish once in its history when the “Soca Babes” finished runner-up to Mexico to qualify for the 1991 Portugal Under-20 World Youth Championship.

Angus Eve, Trinidad and Tobago’s all-time most capped senior team player, was a key member of that gifted squad and he is hoping that history repeats itself in the United States, next month, as the young “Soca Warriors” aim to book a maiden Olympic Games berth.

T&T face Mexico, Panama and Honduras on March 23, 25 and 27 respectively with the top two teams advancing to the semi-final stage. The last two nations standing will advance to the London 2012 Olympic Games, this July.

“The team is trying to do something we have never done before,” Eve told Wired868.com, “which is to qualify for an Olympics. It is not going to be an easy task but I have a dedicated group of people behind me.

“My assistants like Brian James and Derek King have been working hard… Our main job is to instill some passion back into the squad and into local football and we look forward to doing that.”

Trinidad and Tobago football legend and Eve’s former teammate, Dwight Yorke, was an inspirational part of the 1991 youth team, which became the first local side to qualify for a FIFA tournament.

Yorke was an employee of English top flight club, Aston Villa, at the time And Eve hopes that some overseas-based know-how can again provide the winning edge to a promising outfit.

The United States-based quartet of Kevin Molino, Sean De Silva, Bradley Welch and Kevan George are already in the frame for selection. Eve is crossing his fingers regarding the availability of the Europe-based trio of Khaleem Hyland, Mekeil Williams and Robert Primus as well.

READ MORE...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:03:38 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic footballers seek winning blend
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
I am very disappointed in Angus Eve not calling up Jake Thomson and Cordell Cato.

But insist on taking a chance with 2 players (Cyrus and Primus) who is coming of long injuries and MAYNOT be fit.

Yes, have them on the team, but Jake would have been a ideal backup just incase nah, a plan B.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Ditto!!! Agreed .  i have been wondering myself whats the status concerning Jake thompson . he's been one of the more skilled players on the tnt under20's worldcup team in egypt  , an excellent addition imho. .. is he not available because of club committments ? or is it there someother reason ... ? jake is also familiar with the present players as he has played with most of them i do believe ... he's an excellent handler of the ball as well  a key elements  i believe coach angus  needs as in his present team . hopefully he'll be given a look at / call up  b4 the olympic tournament in the U.S gets underway...

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »
Agreed, Jake Thomson is a must and he does have World Cup experience, senior team experience, he plays at a higher level than half of the members of the T&T team and he is familiar with the guys already.

He was one of our better players in Egypt, he wants to play for T&T and stop wasting time chasing Nick DeLeon who still feels he could make the US Olympic team, which seems impossible at the moment.

Come on Angus,  give the guy a call up, be fair !!!!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:37:37 AM by Sando »

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
Ditto!!! Agreed .  i have been wondering myself whats the status concerning Jake thompson . he's been one of the more skilled players on the tnt under20's worldcup team in egypt  , an excellent addition imho. .. is he not available because of club committments ? or is it there someother reason ... ? jake is also familiar with the present players as he has played with most of them i do believe ... he's an excellent handler of the ball as well  a key elements  i believe coach angus  needs as in his present team . hopefully he'll be given a look at / call up  b4 the olympic tournament in the U.S gets underway...

I doubt any player playing in Europe will come because of club commitments. Plus i remember a Jake Thomson interview where he said that he lost his spot at southampton while playing at the U20 World Cup. So since this is his first year at Forest Green he might want to turn down these qualifiers, but im sure if we do make the Olympics he'll be there. He really was one of the better players on that U20 team and i hope he'll get another opportunity soon.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
Yes i do recall him (Jake Thompson ) having selection issues upon returning to southampton shortly after the worldcup, ...!! he is also performing well at the moment , hence  the reason  that coach Angus eve and his staff should keep jake thompson on his radar for inclusion . undoubtedly he's skilled and his vision on the field is excellent. . maybe its oversight on the part on angus and his staff , so here we are Angus reminding you of  Jake Thompson  lest we not forget!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »
If he is not border line overage, it would be nice for him to be on that team. The only thing right now I see that should prevent him is club commitments. He was one of the best performers in Egypt and he did play in the WC against the US, didn't he?

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
Checked and in fact Jake Thompson is presently 22 , will be 23 in may this year , whether or not that disqualifies his eligibility is another issue altogether , possibly someone can confirm that am not quite  certain,  though if am not mistaken  fifa allows a few senior players per team to play upon qualifying @the olympic games but  that i can no longer confirm ..... !!!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 05:52:23 PM »
Jake and Leston should be there... they have been overlooked by the current staff.. madness

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
Checked and in fact Jake Thompson is presently 22 , will be 23 in may this year , whether or not that disqualifies his eligibility is another issue altogether , possibly someone can confirm that am not quite  certain,  though if am not mistaken  fifa allows a few senior players per team to play upon qualifying @the olympic games but  that i can no longer confirm ..... !!!

Thomson is eligible. You have to be born on January 1, 1989 or later. Three overaged players are allowed on the team for the actual Olympics.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation tallman . so here we again  skilled and very capable players  once again being overlooked  .. namely Jake Thompson and Leston Paul who i believe was the skipper at the under20's in egypt ...both of whom performed excellent then .Hopefully Coach Angus eve and his staff  will be mindful of these two players ..  in any event i do hope the best players are selected given the task at hand thats forthcoming....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
I don't know what kind of rapport or communication Angus has with overseas players. He and the TTFF people should be looking at all possibilities. But then again he training these locals. If he up an bring in Paul, Hyland, Thompson, Primus. 4 local have to be dropped. Tough one though. Next thing is them 4 have to come home and practice with th team. Them is 4 key men and they ent do a cobo sweat on local soil in awhile.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:38 AM »
It's time we stop thinking in terms of overseas players and local players. All T&T eligible players are just that T&T eligible players and equal in terms of a spot on the team.

Successful people, ventures, organizations, programs are ones that remove all these distinctions and focus on producing the best possible team for the task at hand.

T&T needs the best possible people (men and women) to lead our football federation, the best possible coach (foreign, local, regardless of sex, age, whether he wears an earring) to lead our team, the best possible players to don the shirt (from what I saw last campaign I wouldn't pick certain people who play at the highest level).

We need out press to do their jobs and ask the relevent questions

We need fans to enjoy and support the team for they represent us on the world stage and they are our sons, brothers, friends etc
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:05:34 AM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »
I have heard there is some drama wit Leston and d management of d team Insider pls confirm.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>