April 16, 2024, 09:00:27 AM

Author Topic: NBA All-Star Weekend  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NBA All-Star Weekend
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »
Kicked off tonight with the All-Star Celebrity game... pure niceness.  The game itself was a blowout but I ketch nuff kicks.  Kevin Hart end up winning "MVP", fuh what I dunno, but he sure had me cracking up.  Dude is a straight fool lol.  Near de end ah de game he get heself throw out and try tuh rip off he jersey only to get tangle up in it  :rotfl: :rotfl:  Ah mean, part ah it was all act... but man, what a naturally funny dude.

Other thoughts... Obama let Arne Duncan off de plantation long enough to fly out and look like ah all star tonight.  Man was shooting, dribbling, blocking shots, dishing passes, stealing ball.  Kevin Hart rightly call him up to share in de "award" at the end.

Penny Hardaway still looking young, but de body fat creeping up.  Tim Hardaway game fall apart, Chris Mullins too... but not as much as Nick Anderson.  Man geh fat and cyah buy ah basket from distance.. didn't stop him from trying though. 

Good fun.

Slam Dunk and three-point tomorrow night.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NBA All-Star Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
February 22, 2012

This weekend, Earvin "Magic" Johnson returns to the scene of the most socially significant sports moment since April 15, 1947, when Jackie Robinson ended baseball's long-accepted segregation policy.

On that day, Robinson became the first player of color to play in a major league baseball game for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

On February 9, 1992, Johnson became the first person — period — to play in a professional sports contest while openly acknowledging he was HIV positive. He carried a transmittable disease that was thought, at the time, to be a death sentence.

Like Robinson before him, Johnson's mere presence and participation in that game changed the world forever.

Robinson proved that blacks and whites could play on the same field on a daily basis. Johnson — along with some help from NBA commissioner David Stern and players Tim Hardaway and Dennis Rodman — proved that mere contact between bodies of sweaty basketball players wouldn't transfer the malady from an afflicted person to someone who is healthy. It changed the way many people dealt with the disease and its victims.

Johnson decided to fight the disease publicly and help fast-track the research when he retired on November 7, 1991, at a surreal news conference at The Forum in Los Angeles. While it would have been normal and acceptable for him to be depressed by the devastating diagnosis, he wasn't looking for pity. He seemed to be the one consoling teammates, management and reporters, even promising at the end that he would beat the disease and be around a long time.

Johnson said it wasn't bravado that prompted the seemingly impossible promise; he truly believed he was going to be OK.

"I've always been a strong person," Johnson said this week. "God just blessed me with that inner strength. But my dad, I probably take after him because he's a strong man and I'm just like him.

"I've always been about others, and I wanted to make sure that I remained the leader that I was and the leader that they knew. So, when I had to announce that I had HIV, I'm still Earvin Johnson, even though I'm dealing with HIV. I'm still that leader; still that positive person.

"I'm the guy that gets everybody going, so I wasn't going to change. It was important that my teammates saw that, as well as Dr. (Jerry) Buss, the fans, the (city) and the HIV and AIDS community as well."

This season marks the 20th anniversary of Johnson's first retirement — he had a short comeback in 1996 — and his surprising inclusion on the Western Conference team that would play in the All-Star Game in Orlando.

Even after the fans voted him in, it was up to Stern to decide if a retired player — let alone one with a possibly fatal, possibly contagious illness — would be allowed to play.

Stern approved, giving the fans what they wanted, giving Johnson a chance to leave the game somewhat on his own terms. It was expected that Magic would get a few cursory minutes, wave to the crowd and ride off to the rest of his life.

Thankfully, it didn't quite work out that way.

Hardaway, the point guard for the Golden State Warriors, made a fantastic gesture, giving up his starting spot to Magic, who then did what he does best.

Representing the Lakers along with forward James Worthy, the game's greatest point guard played 29 minutes, scoring a game-high 25 points, handing out nine assists and grabbing five rebounds. He also hit three straight three-pointers late in the game and was named the game's Most Valuable Player.

The West beat the East 153-113, but the story was the Magic Man, who did the remarkable one more time.

"I think (me playing in that game) had a great impact on the world," Johnson said. "There was some uncertainty with players who didn't know if they could play against me; what could happen. And there was the question 'Could he still play?' So, all those things were uncertainties before the game started.

"Once the game started, we started just playing basketball. It was fun. It was great.

"Then Dennis Rodman took it upon himself to show people he was going to body me (on defense), play hard against me, play aggressive. I think that really calmed (some players) down. Then the way I played and performed let people know I could still play.

"Winning the MVP and hitting those three three-pointers in the fourth quarter showed everybody that (I) could still play. And that (I was) OK and you can play against (me). Nothing's going to happen.

"I think it did a lot for the world and a lot for (the people) with HIV and AIDS and for people dealing with anything. It showed you can go on and live a productive life. The NBA and that All-Star Game in Orlando educated the world, and it was great therapy for me."

And it was a great moment for sports and society.

Joe McDonnell is an award-winning journalist/talk show host. He joined FoxSportsWest.com in February 2011 as a writer/podcaster. Named LA Daily News Sports Talk Host of the Decade, he won the yearly award 7 times. He's also won 2 Golden Mics.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
Arne Duncan was balling, he was much better than plenty of those celebrities, MVP well deserved. As much as I like Kevin Hart, it really was Arne's award. Kevin kept the game entertaining and you can tell he can play for his size but I never expected that from the Secretary of Education (or whatever his title is).
I can't believe Tim Hardaway lost his touch like that, I expected to see killer crossover's all night!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »
Arne Duncan was balling, he was much better than plenty of those celebrities, MVP well deserved. As much as I like Kevin Hart, it really was Arne's award. Kevin kept the game entertaining and you can tell he can play for his size but I never expected that from the Secretary of Education (or whatever his title is).
I can't believe Tim Hardaway lost his touch like that, I expected to see killer crossover's all night!

Yeah Arne is Sec. of Ed.  he played ball at Harvard though, so is no real surprise... I suppose.  But then one ah mih pardners point out that he used to play pro ball in Australia after college.  He plays regularly with Obama... but all that said, given how Timmy Hardaway and Nick Anderson fall off... still impressive by Arne.

Kevin Hart is ah li'l baller man LOL... suh see de alley oop he lay off for Jay Cole?  Only man look like ah scrub was mih boy Ne-Yo.  Mean while... Jesse Williams was balling for the losing team.  I see him during SuperBowl week bowling fuh Chris Paul charity sumting and he end up winning that too... man real showing out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »
Yea Ne-Yo looked like ah scrub in truth :rotfl:

The alley oop pass was on the money, I didn't even expect J Cole to throw it down like that, he really caught me off guard. Harvard is on the map in terms of basketball now, this year's recruiting class might be full of studs. It's always good to see people like Arne play at events like these, he seems like a down to earth guy just by the way he was interacting with everyone.

In all seriousness, I thought the West had the better team on paper but the East totally demolished them, poor Durant didn't even know what to say to the guys after he called time-out :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:48:43 PM »
West get revenge in the All-Star game doh... East fack arung and let dem take it wire to wire.  Had a chance at de end but LeBron throw it away forcing the ball to D-Wade with Melo right in he face begging fuh pass... steups

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
Other thoughts... Obama let Arne Duncan off de plantation long enough to fly out and look like ah all star tonight.  Man was shooting, dribbling, blocking shots, dishing passes, stealing ball.  Kevin Hart rightly call him up to share in de "award" at the end.

Missed the 'game' but that duncan fellah is ah classic cyah judge a book by its cover....all pics I ever see of him is in he work clothes, he does look like the ultimate nerd
you woudnt think ah fellah does look so goofy could have hardwood skills
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
Arne had 17 pts, 8 Rebounds and 5 Steals... doesn't really say a whole lot I suppose, but tells me that the man just have all-round skills.  He real serious doh, he need to lighten up man, lol.  Whole game de man, even when he on de bench, is game face whole time.

Look de award presentation:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KEljObYXjI&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9KEljObYXjI&amp;feature=related</a>

And de ejection  :rotfl:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cGgTgxjH26o&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cGgTgxjH26o&amp;feature=related</a>

...and yuh know J. Cole have dis one on steady loop

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa3AorQMFTk&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa3AorQMFTk&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
West get revenge in the All-Star game doh... East fack arung and let dem take it wire to wire.  Had a chance at de end but LeBron throw it away forcing the ball to D-Wade with Melo right in he face begging fuh pass... steups
That's why they criticize Lebron so hard, he usually defers in crunch time when it matters most. He should've stepped up and took the shot or make the much safer pass to Carmelo...Oh well, it was exciting coming down to the end though.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
That's why they criticize Lebron so hard, he usually defers in crunch time when it matters most. He should've stepped up and took the shot or make the much safer pass to Carmelo...Oh well, it was exciting coming down to the end though.

I C he still missin dat 4th quarter.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »

The pass to 'Melo was the best option, not only is he a good 3-point shooter, but he's better than Wade (31% to Wade's 29%... James is at 32%), but he was wide open due to the double-team on James.  James made the right play to pass off... he just chose the wrong pass, attempting a difficult cross-court pass thru traffic, rather than the simpler hand off to Anthony.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »

The pass to 'Melo was the best option, not only is he a good 3-point shooter, but he's better than Wade (31% to Wade's 29%... James is at 32%), but he was wide open due to the double-team on James.  James made the right play to pass off... he just chose the wrong pass, attempting a difficult cross-court pass thru traffic, rather than the simpler hand off to Anthony.

Yep he also was on fire with a hot hand scoring big buckets to bring the east back into the game. Even he himself took that shot I couldn't blame him.

1]; } ?>