April 26, 2024, 10:58:47 AM

Author Topic: Fetes overpriced  (Read 2377 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Fetes overpriced
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »
Fetes overpriced
Tuesday, February 28 2012

THE EDITOR: Carnival is over but the bacchanal is still fresh in our minds. From the controversial wins of a certain soca artiste who seems to be the Prime Minister’s favourite to Tribe rebelling. The memories would forever be etched in our minds.

I recently read an interesting article and I must add that I agree with the person concerning the ticket prices of fetes. There is no doubt that the Carnival is fast becoming an entity to suit those who are the highest income earners in the land. Imagine that there are very few fetes that cost at least $100 while the most expensive would be around $2,000. Hmm, is Carnival now for the most elite? Hmm, I don’t know and worse yet, the price of costumes, wow. The way things are going, many poor people are left to constantly take out loans if they wish to participate in the festival, my gosh.

Why are fetes so expensive and what is the Government doing or can the Government do anything to control the exorbitant prices? Hmm, I wonder but then again if persons are willing to fork out the money then the supply is meeting the demand. I am even more disappointed that prestige schools also charged too high prices for the fetes.

M TIM

Welcome to Trinbago land of greedy people .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fetes overpriced
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »
Fetes overpriced

THE EDITOR: Carnival is over but the bacchanal is still fresh in our minds. From the controversial wins of a certain soca artiste who seems to be the Prime Minister’s favourite to Tribe rebelling. The memories would forever be etched in our minds.

I recently read an interesting article and I must add that I agree with the person concerning the ticket prices of fetes. There is no doubt that the Carnival is fast becoming an entity to suit those who are the highest income earners in the land. Imagine that there are very few fetes that cost at least $100 while the most expensive would be around $2,000. Hmm, is Carnival now for the most elite? Hmm, I don’t know and worse yet, the price of costumes, wow. The way things are going, many poor people are left to constantly take out loans if they wish to participate in the festival, my gosh.

Why are fetes so expensive and what is the Government doing or can the Government do anything to control the exorbitant prices? Hmm, I wonder but then again if persons are willing to fork out the money then the supply is meeting the demand. I am even more disappointed that prestige schools also charged too high prices for the fetes.

M TIM

I am willing to shell out a few more $ to keep riff raff outta my fete/section of choice.  One family of mine gone to the cheaper section of a fete and get pickpocket and man all up on his girl.  That never happened in the VIP sections....

It doesn't have to do with greed as much as the type of people you'll keep out.  You get what you pay for. 
whey boy!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
Fetes overpriced

M TIM

I am willing to shell out a few more $ to keep riff raff outta my fete/section of choice.  One family of mine gone to the cheaper section of a fete and get pickpocket and man all up on his girl.  That never happened in the VIP sections....

It doesn't have to do with greed as much as the type of people you'll keep out.  You get what you pay for. 

Cyah say ah disagree wit yuh,,ppl want to party with ah peace of mind but even the cheapest all inclusive prices gorne up ridiculous

look at de price of insomnia when it first start compared to now
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
The market place will always determine the price. If you want to pay that amount, that is fine. If you don't that's equally cool. Find one cheaper. Or better yet, you and your buddies should one that is cheaper.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
The market place will always determine the price. If you want to pay that amount, that is fine. If you don't that's equally cool. Find one cheaper. Or better yet, you and your buddies should one that is cheaper.

exactly. One has the choice to keep the money in the pocket. If someone can provide quality entertainment and security at a decent price I sure the people who complaining will show up. But i do feel like some fetes increase the cost with no visible improvement in the fete itself. At least that was my thought in 2011. I wasn't there for any this year. Go see if I feel the same next year

Plus it hard for someone like me who is strictly beers to go all inclusive. They does make waaaaay too much money on my head.
Back in Trini...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »
Plus it hard for someone like me who is strictly beers to go all inclusive. They does make waaaaay too much money on my head.

I does always buss, because me eh eating nutten.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Supply and demand yes, but alot of that demand is being driven by a kinda herd mentality that goes on in this country.

It have no real justified reasons for the promoters to be charging the prices they do. Price is no longer a deterrent as it have a ghetto rich class that paying any price that call. So many people you seeing in these fetes spending well above their means to attend these fetes only because that is the fete everybody going. People taking out Carnival loans and maxing out credit cards to fete, buy clothes and play mas then ketching their ass for the rest of the year.

By and large promoters control the composition of people that attend their fetes by selling through the committees. So the same people you see in One Fete will also be the same people you will see in Bacchanal Wednesday, Beach House, Tribe, Blue Range etc (add in the foreigners).

Also once the fete is a big draw, promoters will have most of their expenses covered by sponsors. Sponsored bar, drinks and amenities, sponsored food stalls and promotional advertising everywhere around. Most they might have to pay for is venue and artistes which might get sponsor too.

It have a next piece of bobol too, fete tickets does become available then sell out like the day after. If you go early to buy a ticket you can't get more than 4, yet when you reach outside the fete scalpers holding a book of tickets. Its because the promoters will keep back tickets to put in the hands of scalpers to sell for a big markup. If you watch good, when a fete buss and scalpers get jam they don't even look slightly bothered to have to sell it well below the face value. Before scalpers used to be crying for that.

I don't mind paying premium for a premium fete experience, but some of these promoters just on wildness with the price. They even start quoting in $US now, $200US for Up fete.

Let them HDMC with that.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
Didnt we have this conversation last year...

It is a social filter...go if you want...stay home if you ent bothered.

What most people doh understand is many who go to these fetes get in Free...the ticket is either paid for by corporate sponsors or they have a link. Is only chupidees does pelt out $$ and fatten people pocket.

Now the new thing, Disgruntled and dem did this with their party is to not have a physical ticket but send your e receipt and e ticket via yuh smartphone. Scan yuh bar code and come een.

Honestly woman does run down fete and make a fuss more dan man...I good with a cooler fete and I under the $200 mark.

But anytime I does reach in the big sawatee party...I does move ON (Ole N!&G!ah) I drinking ink...i mixing all dey premium alcho and I eating way everything in sight. I hadda vomit meh guts out, ketch mehself and come back again for a 2nd rounds. Also this setta coasting ting coming fashionably late....not a fack ah dat...I taking hot sun and I fuss by the bar and food line. I want meh moneys worth...and i taking every rag, cup, light, shades, cream and chips/biscuit them pretty gyul in they spandex handing out when I walking een.

I does hadda work hard for my money...if and when I choose to hand a promoter 500+ to go drink eat and jam...I taking yuh for everything yuh have.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »
But anytime I does reach in the big sawatee party...I does move ON (Ole N!&G!ah) I drinking ink...i mixing all dey premium alcho and I eating way everything in sight. I hadda vomit meh guts out, ketch mehself and come back again for a 2nd rounds. Also this setta coasting ting coming fashionably late....not a fack ah dat...I taking hot sun and I fuss by the bar and food line. I want meh moneys worth...and i taking every rag, cup, light, shades, cream and chips/biscuit them pretty gyul in they spandex handing out when I walking een.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
Here's the way I try to see it.

If I went to a concert here, is nothing less than $75 for an ok seat and yea.. I have to sit dong. In these fete is live band / artists (and I hope dey getting pay well..doing my support thing for all the music I does borrow) so let's say $75 gone for the stage show part. There is no way I cud sip ink, eat like is ah UN buffet and have a level ah security at the same time for $40-$50 or so.

So if I fork out $700 TT, I eh really complaining.. plus is not like if is every week or month I doing so. If I lucky ah kryptonite may fall within scope and add ah lil excitement to the night.

what I doh like is the way you have to know someone, who know someone who tanty on the committee to get ah bligh

Tip: want to get een for free. Invest in ah maco size video camera with flashy lights and ting. Not only you and your light/sound man getting een for free, all dem woman will make themselves available. Doh forget ah mic. I've done it before...tv crew beat.

BTW the camera eh have to be wukkin eh.. just as long as some red lights blinking, yuh good to go.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Touches yuh have meh rolling here dread :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Yuh ain lie nah take everything in sight, dixie biscuit and all.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »
Didnt we have this conversation last year...

It is a social filter...go if you want...stay home if you ent bothered.

What most people doh understand is many who go to these fetes get in Free...the ticket is either paid for by corporate sponsors or they have a link. Is only chupidees does pelt out $$ and fatten people pocket.

Now the new thing, Disgruntled and dem did this with their party is to not have a physical ticket but send your e receipt and e ticket via yuh smartphone. Scan yuh bar code and come een.

Honestly woman does run down fete and make a fuss more dan man...I good with a cooler fete and I under the $200 mark.

I does hadda work hard for my money...if and when I choose to hand a promoter 500+ to go drink eat and jam...I taking yuh for everything yuh have.

DITTO!!!!

I went to Central Bank, and spent two hours of that fete eating. an hour when i now reach, and about an hour after kes perform. dont care who say i greedy , but since i dont drink alcohol, I hadda make it up somewhere  :-\

btw, Central Bank wasnt as good this year. last yr was much better. i think they oversold tix, so the place was crowded. it took forever at the bar and some of the food lines. the AC toilets from last yr turned into five or so port a potties this yr. only two bands this yr, instead of the three (no roy cape  >:() so the lull between kes and machel's sets was real long.

not a fete ill be attending next yr
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:09:55 PM by STEUPS!! »
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Here's the way I try to see it.

If I went to a concert here, is nothing less than $75 for an ok seat and yea.. I have to sit dong. In these fete is live band / artists (and I hope dey getting pay well..doing my support thing for all the music I does borrow) so let's say $75 gone for the stage show part. There is no way I cud sip ink, eat like is ah UN buffet and have a level ah security at the same time for $40-$50 or so.

So if I fork out $700 TT, I eh really complaining.. plus is not like if is every week or month I doing so. If I lucky ah kryptonite may fall within scope and add ah lil excitement to the night.

what I doh like is the way you have to know someone, who know someone who tanty on the committee to get ah bligh

Tip: want to get een for free. Invest in ah maco size video camera with flashy lights and ting. Not only you and your light/sound man getting een for free, all dem woman will make themselves available. Doh forget ah mic. I've done it before...tv crew beat.

BTW the camera eh have to be wukkin eh.. just as long as some red lights blinking, yuh good to go.

as a fellow family man i feel u on this right there ;D

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:18 AM »
btw, Central Bank wasnt as good this year. last yr was much better. i think they oversold tix, so the place was crowded. it took forever at the bar and some of the food lines. the AC toilets from last yr turned into five or so port a potties this yr. only two bands this yr, instead of the three (no roy cape  >:() so the lull between kes and machel's sets was real long.

not a fete ill be attending next yr

I really enjoyed Central Bank's fete last year so when they advertised HD and Kes for 2012 I say I inside from early.  Thing is every body in mih crew hemming and hawing bout whether or not they want to go and by the time they make up their mind tix sold out....steups!!

But you can understand why the amenities were not as good as last year right??  HD doh come cheap girl......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>