March 29, 2024, 12:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Jorsling hat-trick sinks Antigua.  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jorsling hat-trick sinks Antigua.
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »
Jorsling hat-trick sinks Antigua.
By: Inshan Mohammed.

Caledonia AIA attacker Devorn Jorsling netted a second half hat-trick to lead a new look Soca Warriors team to a 4-0 victory over Antigua & Barbuda at the Sir Vivian Richards Ground in Antigua.

Both teams went into the break at deadlock but it would be T&T who came out in the second half on a mission to get a favorable result over a team that is preparing for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers which begins in June.

Trinidad and Tobago had only themselves to blame for not taking it to the Antiguans in the first-half and spilt many great opportunities to score a few goals well. Richard Roy was the known culprit as it was reported that the striker missed quite a few chances for the Warriors who seemed to have had a pretty good showing in the first 45 despite the score-line.

Another incident, this time involving Kevon Carter- who is making a return to the game after a long-term injury was taken down in the penalty box by Antigua's Quinton Griffith in the 35th minute. Devorn Jorsling took the honors and stepped up for the spot-kick only to see his poor effort saved by the Antiguan custodian Molvin James, however, despite missing the penalty the former Defence Force man made up by scoring a hat-trick to help T&T prevail over their Caribbean neighbors.

Jorsling goals came in the 59th, 70th and 78th minutes respectively before substitute Willis Plaza final nail on the coffin with an 81st minute goal that completed the route. The San Juan Jabloteh in-form striker now has 2 caps for his country registering one goal; he is also the current leading goalscorer in T&T's Pro League with nine league goals to his name.

This would be the second hat-trick for Jorsling with his first being against St Vincent in the 2010 Digicel Cup. The striker has now registered his 16th overall goals for his country with 29 caps to his name.

Antigua will face St Kitts next (March 3) in a friendly game as they are preparing for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers, they are a nation of under 80,000 people and has booked their place in the penultimate round of CONCACAF qualifying for Brazil 2014. They are grouped with USA, Jamaica and Guatemala.

T&T on the other hand has no 2014 World Cup to look forward to but is using the games as preparations for the 2012 Caribbean Cup which is schedule to start later this year.

The new look Soca Warriors side saw a few newcomers to its side with Elton John and Rodell Elcock making their debuts while Daneil Cyrus and Kevon Carter is coming of lengthy injuries.

Former Köping FF midfielder Kevon Neaves meanwhile, with has one solitary cap (now two) is also making a return to T&T after his debut in 2006 against Iceland; the talented left winger is also coming off a lengthy injury that he sustained while playing for local outfit T&TEC FC.

T&T, under interim head coach Hutson Charles led his troops well from the bench and should be satisfied by his team showing especially against an opponent that fielded a few foreign-born English based players as their team head coach Tom Curtis is currently looking to improve his team before they go into the all important WC qualifiers. Charles meantime record to date stands at; 1 win and 1 lose- a defeat that came in the hands of Finland when they defeated T&T 3-2 in January, 2012 in Port of Spain.

Antigua & Barbuda Football Association (ABFA) General Secretary Gordon “Banks” Derrick has defended the decision to import a number of England-based players for the senior team’s International Friendly against Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday.

Derrick, who is a former Villa Lions player, urged fans to be patient and reminded that there has to be a period where the waters are tested.

“Persons would say, ‘you shouldn’t do that. You wasting money.’ But I would not agree with that. We are now in the pre-season stage. We are developing and getting ourselves ready for June. This is our very first game. The premier league would have finished on January 19 so it is some 11 days later. We obviously did not have a very good game, especially in the second half that is not a question, but it is a starting point,” he said.

“As coaches you look at the situation and you analyse and see all the work that you need to do and the areas that you need to tighten up on and you move forward from there. That’s why you have friendly games and warm-up games,” Derrick added in an interview with the Antiguan Observer reporter Neto Baptiste.

Antigua: Molvin James – Marvin McCoy, George Dublin, Anton Blackwood (Karanja Mack 16th), Dave Carr, Marvin McCoy (Akeem Thomas 71st), Quentin Griffith, Kieran Murtagh (Kerry Skepple 71st), Lawson Robinson, Stephan Smith (Ranja Christian 78th), Peter Byers (Justin Cochrane 58th) (Gayson Gregory 71st).

TD: Tom Curtis.

Trinidad & Tobago: Marvin Phillip (capt) – Clyde Leon (Yellow 57), Elton John, Rodell Elcock, Ataullah Guerra (Aubrey David 90th), Kevon Carter (Keon Boucher 67th), Kevon Neaves (Bevon Bass 78th), Devon Jorsling (Kerlon Ferguson 78th), Richard Roy (Willis Plaza 71st), Daneil Cyrus, Seon Power (Jamal Jack 30th).

TD: Hutson Charles.

Referee: Ignatius Jno Baptiste (DMA).

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:12:14 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jorsling hat-trick sinks Antigua.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
Good news- Congratulations to the coach and team

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
Hmm where did you get this match info?  ;D

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
Great result from the team considering all the who ha with the TTFF and players not getting paid properly for their services in the recent past!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »
Hate to be the stick in the mud, but fellas it was Antigua.  :-\

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
Just imagine Otto couldn't win with a bunch of local players but Hutson Charles could. That must make him a genius. WOW.

Another false positive. :bs:
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »

Well it was just Guyana that knocked us out. It was just Grenada beat we in the Caribbean Cup. Yuh comment come off real negative...

And the team we send to play in Guyana was a team with players from  the Premiership, Championship, MLS, and other overseas leagues.

The team deserve nothing but congratulations. Yuh shouldn't be so negative man.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:40:32 AM »

Well it was just Guyana that knocked us out. It was just Grenada beat we in the Caribbean Cup. Yuh comment come off real negative...

And the team we send to play in Guyana was a team with players from  the Premiership, Championship, MLS, and other overseas leagues.

Some people want more than blood.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »

Boss,

we lose to Guyana and Bermuda in the space of one week.
Antigua still in it.

Personally, I go shut my ass and take it.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

Boss,

Antigua still in it.

VB

No way guyana and Antigua should be still in with a chance of making the world cup while much better teams in the region sits at home looking on. Specifically i'm speaking of T&T and Haiti both of whom are undoubtedly better than the likes of Guyana and antigua.  I expect both Antigua and Guyana to a lesser extent to lose all their games in the next round...i am sure they will have other ideas and wuold love to prove everyone wrong. Guyana is not a bad team, but their preperation is woeful.  Most of the teams in the next round travelled away to face mostly european and south american teams, did guyana play a game yesterday?  Jamaica has Panama and Costa Rica next couple months, while antigua and guyana twiddletheir thumbs...with only three months to go.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:53:42 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
RF, nice posts, however, we got our asses kicked fair and square and we must accept that.

That's just the way the chips fall.

T&T are a better team but not the administrated part which affect the team play as well as players unwillingness to play with heart.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
RF, nice posts, however, we got our asses kicked fair and square and we must accept that.

T&T are a better team but not the administrated part which affect the team play as well as players unwillingness to play with heart.

Still not sure why a teamwith the likes of Kenwyn Jones, Carlos Edwards, Chris Birchall etc out while antigua and barbuda still in it....what makes it even more shocking is the fact that a world reknowned coach was being paid handsomely to guide your team. I've always maintained that the Federation is probably the most important piece of the puzzle. I mean burrell is not squeeky clean, but the man has a drive within him that is unparellelled in the region, which is the main reason why Jamaica is where they are today. sad thing is once burell demits office, there is no one to replace him, or now one is showing the abiity to replace him effectively.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
Yeah you all beat antigua, we jess ress up Italy.... USA USA USA  :beermug:

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »
Yeah you all beat antigua, we jess ress up Italy.... USA USA USA  :beermug:
Yes Daft Trini is an apt name for you

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »

Boss,

Antigua still in it.

VB

No way guyana and Antigua should be still in with a chance of making the world cup while much better teams in the region sits at home looking on. Specifically i'm speaking of T&T and Haiti both of whom are undoubtedly better than the likes of Guyana and antigua.  I expect both Antigua and Guyana to a lesser extent to lose all their games in the next round...i am sure they will have other ideas and wuold love to prove everyone wrong. Guyana is not a bad team, but their preperation is woeful.  Most of the teams in the next round travelled away to face mostly european and south american teams, did guyana play a game yesterday?  Jamaica has Panama and Costa Rica next couple months, while antigua and guyana twiddletheir thumbs...with only three months to go.

Guyana hosted Guatemala yesterday. Lost 0-2.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »

Boss,

Antigua still in it.

VB

Guyana hosted Guatemala yesterday. Lost 0-2.

VB
What did Shabazz have to say after the loss?

Did he boast about being the best local coach in the Caribbean and all that Jazz?!  :-\
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »

some people just wanna see the world burn
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »

Still not sure why a teamwith the likes of Kenwyn Jones, Carlos Edwards, Chris Birchall etc out while antigua and barbuda still in it....what makes it even more shocking is the fact that a world reknowned coach was being paid handsomely to guide your team. I've always maintained that the Federation is probably the most important piece of the puzzle. I mean burrell is not squeeky clean, but the man has a drive within him that is unparellelled in the region, which is the main reason why Jamaica is where they are today. sad thing is once burell demits office, there is no one to replace him, or now one is showing the abiity to replace him effectively.
Breds, i woulda hail jack warner and sing his accolades on the highest mountain top if he was half the man burrell is!

IMO, burrell maybe cut from the same bolt of cloth as jackula, but burrell have pride, ambition, love of country and your football @ heart, and yeh, more heart than jack warner too!

never mind burrell have all these bakeries all ova jamdown and he help himself to the money fifa gave to develop JA football, but he @ least have the best interest of jamaica football @ heart and didn't steal every thing and abandon your football.

jack warner is the woss kind of teef! he is the kinda fella dat would rob yuh and leave yuh in yuh birthday suit wid not even as much as ah dollar to take ah bus, and if yuh survive and have him arrested, he would surely say, "eh boy yuh know yuh ungratful, i coulda kill yuh when ah rob yuh, but instead ah give yuh ah bligh and make yuh live, and this is how yuh pay meh back?" dat is the audacity of the man name jack warner, ah serious bold face bastard!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:32:18 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:44 AM »
Derrick defends importation of players.
By Neto Baptiste (antiguaobserver.com)

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Antigua & Barbuda Football Association (ABFA) General Secretary Gordon “Banks” Derrick has defended the decision to import a number of England-based players for the senior team’s International Friendly against Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday.

Speaking on Good Morning Jojo on Thursday, Derrick revealed that the five imported players have been on island since last Sunday and were able to camp and train with the squad as they gained valuable bonding time.

Many fans were however not satisfied after most of the imports were forced to leave the contest during the interval in order to accommodate travel arrangements back to England.

“Part of the whole thing was having them in the camp. They would have arrived since Sunday and they would have been in camp so they would have started to bond with the players. It is important to have you pool together as a unit and knowing each other so they are not strangers,” he said.

“Unfortunately, the only BA flight out early is a Wednesday and usually it is after 9 pm they leave, and that would have been fine because we could have kicked off the game at 7 pm which was our original intention,” the GS added.

“But due to flight arrangement at this time, and if you were to have tried any other airline it would not have been possible either, getting them here on the Sunday and having them leave the day after because they have to get back for their game on Saturday.”

Derrick, who is a former Villa Lions player, urged fans to be patient and reminded that there has to be a period where the waters are tested.

“Persons would say, ‘you shouldn’t do that. You wasting money.’ But I would not agree with that. We are now in the pre-season stage. We are developing and getting ourselves ready for June. This is our very first game. The premier league would have finished on January 19 so it is some 11 days later. We obviously did not have a very good game, especially in the second half that is not a question, but it is a starting point,” he said.

“As coaches you look at the situation and you analyse and see all the work that you need to do and the areas that you need to tighten up on and you move forward from there. That’s why you have friendly games and warm-up games,” Derrick added.

Five England-based players were brought in ahead of the T&T clash.

Antigua & Barbuda Benna Boys were defeated 4-0 by T&T’s Soca Warriors when they met at Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Grounds.

Striker Devon Jorsling had a hat-trick as he scored in minutes 50, 70 and 78, respectively, before substitute Willis Baiza rounded off the scoring minutes later.

Antigua & Barbuda will travel to St Kitts & Nevis on Saturday for a friendly encounter against their senior squad as they prepare for the 2012 Digicel Cup.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
So let’s get this clear! Are they saying that the overseas Antiguan players had to leave for the airport during the halftime interval so they could get back to England on time for their club games this weekend?

If that is the case then that explains why Antigua became a weaker side in the 2nd half and we laid 4 on them as a result!

So could it be that the Antiguan team aren’t as bad as they looked on Wednesday afterall?! 

Let’s hope they do well in the next round as they are obviously doing the best they can to prepare properly for the next round that starts in June.

Wishing them all the best and hopefully they can surprise some of the other teams in the next round!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:13:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
So let’s get this clear! Are they saying that the overseas Antiguan players had to leave for the airport during the halftime interval so they could get back to England on time for their club games this weekend?

If that is the case then that explains why Antigua became a weaker side in the 2nd half and we laid 4 on them as a result!
Actually, three of them were taken off just after the second goal, one got injured early in the match, and Nottingham Forest striker Blackstock was taken off after 58 minutes (right before the first goal).  Antigua weren't even the better side in the first half though it was an even match then.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
I stand by my comment. If you all want to be celebratory cuz we beat a side we have been and should be beating since forever thats fine, but this win says nothing about our progress or lack thereof in any way or form, foreign based or not...just my humble opinion

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
They are preparing for the degicel cup?? i thought these guys start qualifying fixtures in june. degicel ain't until november.

BTW, who's hosting the degicel cup this yr?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
They are preparing for the degicel cup?? i thought these guys start qualifying fixtures in june. degicel ain't until november.

they preparing fro world cup qualifying

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »

they preparing fro world cup qualifying
I know that TT, but look @ the end of the antigua observer's article where it states "ANT-BAR will travel to st kitt-nev on saturday for a friendly encounter against their senior squad as they prepare for the 2012 degicel cup".

in any case, i just want tuh know where they hosting the degicel cup, since i might want tuh go for the tourney.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
To be honest, I don't even think the CFU or Digicel know when the Digicel Cup is going to be...it was initially planned for June of this year.  In the past week I have heard at the end of the year from Jamaican commentators and June from various others.  It would make sense to have it right after those qualifiers though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:39:41 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FP4fE5xxZc0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FP4fE5xxZc0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »
Good to see that the younger players are getting a chance. A win against Antigua is not the most prestigious result, but it is definitely a good start given our recent form. I hope we go on to build on this and play stronger opposition as time go on....well done warriors but please do not look at this as anything more than a platform to re-build from
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

1]; } ?>