April 19, 2024, 08:17:28 AM

Author Topic: Federal Judge Emails Racist Joke About Obama, Then Apologizes  (Read 13131 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Federal Judge Emails Racist Joke About Obama, Then Apologizes

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/01/147720865/federal-judge-emails-racist-joke-about-obama-then-apologizes

by Korva Coleman

U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull apparently did not know until recently that if you leave your name on questionable emails and then forward them to friends, they frequently get passed on to a wider audience and may come back to haunt you.

The chief judge for the District of Montana recently emailed a joke denigrating President Obama to several friends. They passed it to others, until it ended up in the hands of a reporter for the Great Falls Tribune, which published the email text.

The joke features an African-American boy named Barack who asks his mother why he is black and she is white, and her response indicates he's the product of a sexual encounter with a dog.

Judge Cebull forwarded the joke from his court email with the subject line, "A Mom's Memory", and included an intro saying he hoped the joke "touches your heart like it did mine".

Now Judge Cebull is apologizing to anyone who was offended, saying the email was "inappropriate" and "stupid"; but insisted to the Billings Gazette he was not personally a bigot. "There is no doubt (the email) is racist. It wasn't forwarded for that purpose. If anything, it was political".

Cebull says he's written other federal judges in Montana apologizing for his conduct and vows he won't ever again send an email from his office that's not business-related. He says while he isn't a supporter of President Obama, he has never shown prejudice to anyone in court.

Travis McAdam, head of the Montana Human Rights Network, says the email is "unbecoming" of a judge and more than political, noting the joke compares African Americans with animals, reports AFP.

Cebull was nominated to the federal court bench by President George W. Bush in 2001. He's been chief judge of the District of Montana since 2008, according to the Federal Judicial Center.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Federal Judge Emails Racist Joke About Obama, Then Apologizes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
Election season in full swing
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »
That was not even a joke, nutten funny there, insulting and racist.

if he did say Obama black and he modder white and when Obama did ask she why, she did tell him when she was pregnant she did drink ah lot ah chocolate milk..now dat funny.

What the judge said is grounds for he dismissal in my view.

I cyar trust such a man in charge ah dispensing justice to minorities at all.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »
That was not even a joke, nutten funny there, insulting and racist.

if he did say Obama black and he modder white and when Obama did ask she why, she did tell him when she was pregnant she did drink ah lot ah chocolate milk..now dat funny.

What the judge said is grounds for he dismissal in my view.

I cyar trust such a man in charge ah dispensing justice to minorities at all.
And therein lies the problem. this pecker wood can not be trusted with ppl's lives to say the least! and like you said, he's definitely unfit for such undertakings.

PS: no matter how hard them "white boy" here in the north try tuh put on a show as to how liberal they have become, some how the racist inclinations always find ah way tuh sneak out of them and manifest itself, it's like they can't help themselves.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:24:40 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
That isn't a racist joke. It's a 'your mother slept with a dog' joke. I've heard the joke a million times applied to redheads or 'why is everyone else tall?' Sometimes the dog is a donkey.

His race had nothing to do with the punchline. Still crass but not racist.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
That isn't a racist joke. It's a 'your mother slept with a dog' joke. I've heard the joke a million times applied to redheads or 'why is everyone else tall?' Sometimes the dog is a donkey.

yuh talking assholery!  It says your obama asked why he was BLACK and his mother whiter..and the reply says cuz she f**ked a dog!..meaning black men are dogs!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
Election season in full swing

for real.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »

yuh talking assholery!  It says your obama asked why he was BLACK and his mother whiter..and the reply says cuz she f**ked a dog!..meaning black men are dogs!
No, sorry. That's not the joke.

The joke is that she was drunk at a wild party and f**ked everybody and everything in the house. Including the dog. It's an old joke. 'Mommy, why am i the only one with red hair?' They just add in Obama to diss Obama.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:02:50 PM by Dinner Mints »

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »

The joke is that she was drunk at a wild party and f**ked everybody and everything in the house. Including the dog. It's an old joke. 'Mommy, why am i the only one with red hair?' They just add in Obama to diss Obama.

That is NOT a f**king joke...she f**k ah dog and he come out black?  steups  dat is asholery

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »

That is NOT a f**king joke...she f**k ah dog and he come out black?  steups  dat is asholery
Again... you don't get the joke.

She f**ked a dog, a black man, a white man, the kitchen sink, everybody at the party. She doesn't know who his father is, but he's lucky it's not the dog. That's the joke.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:24:08 PM by Dinner Mints »

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
fella, where the f**k you see the man email mention that she fck everybody, including a dog?

Like yuh is ah f**king clown or what?

The man's email specifically mentioned that she f**ked a dog and he was the result of THAT sexual encounter.

what de f**k allyuh does come with?

that is ah modder c**t racist  statement, it eh even funny...what yuh find is a joke about that?

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
The judge acknowledged that the content of the e-mail was racist, but said he does not consider himself racist. He said the e-mail was intended to be a private communication.
"It was not intended by me in any way to become public," Cebull said. "I apologize to anybody who is offended by it and I can obviously understand why people would be offended."

Cebull said his brother initially sent him the e-mail, which he forwarded to six of his "old buddies" and acquaintances.

"The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan," Cebull said. "I didn't send it as racist, although that's what it is. I sent it out because it's anti-Obama."

Travis McAdam, executive director for the Montana Human Rights Network, said the e-mail is highly racist rhetoric unbecoming of a federal judge.

"It's one thing if the judge is not a fan of President Barack Obama, but you would think someone in his position would articulate that in a way that criticizes his policy decisions or his position on issues," McAdam said. "We have a hard time believing that a legitimate criticism of the president involves distributing a joke that basically compares African Americans with animals."

Cebull said he does not consider himself prejudiced against people of other races or ethnic backgrounds, and that his actions in his courtroom have demonstrated that.

"This is a private thing that was, to say the least, very poor judgment on my part," Cebull said. "I did not forward it because of the racist nature of it. Although it is racist, I'm not that way, never have been."

The White House declined to comment Wednesday on the incident.

Contributing: Adams also reports for the Great Falls (Mont.) Tribune

So doh talk shit, the judge heself say it was racist!

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:07:53 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
jump high or Jump low non of dem  f**ks cya compete with obama . Di man is very inteligent and Definitely have my vote. Obama is di fackin Boss war sey suh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and dinnermint dais no joke thing .. dais a racist comment di man mek dey level.. 
war 
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
You don't understand the joke. It's fine. Apparently several people didn't either.

I write jokes for a living, so maybe I'm more familiar with the medium than most. Trust my expertise or don't... the joke is that he's lucky the dog ISN'T his father. That's why there's mention of a party and not a kennel (meaning there was a lot of people and wildness). That's why there's mention of her barely remembering (showing she was very drunk or high). She can't remember what she was up to but she vaguely remembers f**king a dog.

She doh know who or what she do, or who his father could be, but (again) he should just be thankful his father ISN'T the dog.

I don't know why you think I take it upon my self to defend some asshole judge I doh even know.

And the fact that he, a public official, apologized to the public is no surprise. That's his constituency. He cyah play boldface for them. He have to humble.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:43:43 PM by Dinner Mints »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »

I agree in part... but I also believe there is a racist undercurrent to it, kinda like "she was so facked up that night, that dog, African... anybody coulda get some play."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »
fella, where the f**k you see the man email mention that she fck everybody, including a dog?

Like yuh is ah f**king clown or what?

The man's email specifically mentioned that she f**ked a dog and he was the result of THAT sexual encounter.

what de f**k allyuh does come with?

that is ah modder c**t racist  statement, it eh even funny...what yuh find is a joke about that?

Nah, dai'z not what the "joke" says.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
You don't understand the joke. It's fine. Apparently several people didn't either.

I write jokes for a living, so maybe I'm more familiar with the medium than most. Trust my expertise or don't... the joke is that he's lucky the dog ISN'T his father. That's why there's mention of a party and not a kennel (meaning there was a lot of people and wildness). That's why there's mention of her barely remembering (showing she was very drunk or high). She can't remember what she was up to but she vaguely remembers f**king a dog.

She doh know who or what she do, or who his father could be, but (again) he should just be thankful his father ISN'T the dog.

I don't know why you think I take it upon my self to defend some asshole judge I doh even know.

And the fact that he, a public official, apologized to the public is no surprise. That's his constituency. He cyah play boldface for them. He have to humble.

well dinnermint no disrespect meant bro .if yu feal sey is a joke yu have di right to feal dat way.. I jus doh like dem kind a joke.. dais me..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »

Dinner Mints

Even the JUDGE say the joke is a racist joke  ::)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 07:56:51 AM »
Here is the full joke people ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ls5SJIn334" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ls5SJIn334</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
That's not the same joke on the initial post. now things are ah bit complicated, but nontheless it was ah disrespect to the prez, and yes it was racially motivated.
Here is the full joke people ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ls5SJIn334" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ls5SJIn334</a>
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
After hearing it, I'm not sure if that joke in itself is racist - more of a mother joke, than a racist joke. (i.e. your mother is a slut kinda thing).  The way it's written in the article gives it a different feel. 

Racism is however largely dependent on the intent, and how it's received...so given the obvious black-white dynamic in the U.S. and the fact that even the judge himself concedes a racist undertone inherent in the joke and apologizes for it, then it's hard to ignore the racist element in the whole story...

Yuh could substitute black for anything else as Dinner Mints said (though that by itself doesn't render the joke not-racist).... but that joke could be even told by a black person, to a black audience as a mother joke and no one would bat an eyelid...

Can't dispute that it's inappropriate and disrespectful though...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:30:24 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
After hearing it, I'm not sure if that joke in itself is racist - more of a mother joke, than a racist joke. (i.e. your mother is a slut kinda thing).  The way it's written in the article gives it a different feel. 

Racism is however largely dependent on the intent, and how it's received...so given the obvious black-white dynamic in the U.S. and the fact that even the judge himself concedes a racist undertone inherent in the joke and apologizes for it, then it's hard to ignore the racist element in the whole story...

Yuh could substitute black for anything else as Dinner Mints said (though that by itself doesn't render the joke not-racist).... but that joke could be even told by a black person, to a black audience as a mother joke and no one would bat an eyelid...

Can't dispute that it's inappropriate and disrespectful though...

So why is the judge himself, the originator of the offensive email saying that it is indeed racist?  He knows what he was trying to convey better than ANYONE can guess!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »

So why is the judge himself, the originator of the offensive email saying that it is indeed racist?  He knows what he was trying to convey better than ANYONE can guess!

The fact that the judge "concedes" that the joke is racist is in itself meaningless.... no moreso than if he was defiant that it was NOT racist.  Certainly under such a scenario no one would have latched onto that as evidence that the joke was not racist.  In short, he is no authority either way, let alone a definitive authority.  He has found himself boxed into such a corner by his lack of discretion, that protesting that the joke isn't racist simply isn't an option.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »

The fact that the judge "concedes" that the joke is racist is in itself meaningless.... no moreso than if he was defiant that it was NOT racist.  Certainly under such a scenario no one would have latched onto that as evidence that the joke was not racist.  In short, he is no authority either way, let alone a definitive authority.  He has found himself boxed into such a corner by his lack of discretion, that protesting that the joke isn't racist simply isn't an option.

Disagree with the bolded - I don't think that in situations like this, there is perfect symmetry between concession and denial.  It's generally harder to come by a concession than a denial of racism in my opinion, so I think an open recognition does reveal something about the sentiment behind the joke...

Don't disagree with the the circumstances you described which made it even more difficult to deny, but if there was zero racist intent on his part, I think he'd couch his response even further than he did... who knows though?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
Disagree with the bolded - I don't think that in situations like this, there is perfect symmetry between concession and denial.  It's generally harder to come by a concession than a denial of racism in my opinion, so I think an open recognition does reveal something about the sentiment behind the joke...

Don't disagree with the the circumstances you described which made it even more difficult to deny, but if there was zero racist intent on his part, I think he'd couch his response even further than he did... who knows though?

You're focusing on what his subjective intent was... the larger discussion has to do with the joke itself.  He was not the author of the joke, but merely a conduit for its dissemination.  Is the joke racist, or merely the latest incarnation of a perennially circulated pejorative designed to target certain discreet groups (redheads, midgets, laborers... whomever, I'm not as familiar with the history of the joke as Dinner Mints is)?  The joke itself seems a slap at the promiscuity of the mother (common to all the various incarnations) than anything having to do with the progeny (Obama in this case) or the father.  So the judge saying the joke was itself racist is hardly convincing, let alone dispositive.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
@ Dinner Mints, I have heard this "your momma style" joke told quite a few times. It's usually told about that girl that effed all they guys at a fraternity/spring break/freaknic/military.... style party.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:26:31 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »

You're focusing on what his subjective intent was... the larger discussion has to do with the joke itself.  He was not the author of the joke, but merely a conduit for its dissemination.  Is the joke racist, or merely the latest incarnation of a perennially circulated pejorative designed to target certain discreet groups (redheads, midgets, laborers... whomever, I'm not as familiar with the history of the joke as Dinner Mints is)?  The joke itself seems a slap at the promiscuity of the mother (common to all the various incarnations) than anything having to do with the progeny (Obama in this case) or the father.  So the judge saying the joke was itself racist is hardly convincing, let alone dispositive.

Yeah I'm focusing on the intent because I think that (along with interpretation and receipt) are determining factors in assessing whether or not a joke is racist.  As I said in my example, the same joke delivered by a black comedian to a black audience is arguably not racist at all...just a mother joke. I don't think we could assess whether or not the joke is racist without considering the deliverer or the target...TO me the meaning of the joke changes as it changes hands.

Also I think this particular joke changes meaning depending on the content.  I agree (as posted earlier) that it's primarily a "mother joke".... But to say that it's not a racist joke because the general framework can be used to apply to redheads, short people, tall people depending on the particular modification is to create a huge loop hole for bigots to exploit...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
Common allyuh enough wid the progressive horse sh!t, the joke is ah fackin racist joke! jeeezzzeeee.

the fact that the cracker judge used the black and white issue with the mother being white and the boy being black, and insert the name "barack", shows it was meant to be a racist jab @ obama! so give it ah fackin rest with the apologist diatribe already.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:11:54 PM by just cool »

truetrini

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »
Common allyuh enough wid the progressive horse sh!t, the joke is ah fackin racist joke! jeeezzzeeee.

the fact that the cracker judge used the black and white issue with the mother being white and the boy being black, and insert the name "barack", shows it was meant to be a racist jab @ obama! so give it ah fackin rest with the apologist diatribe already.

Exactly!  And any woman who is a stink slut does f**k dogs and blacks

steups.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Exactly!  And any woman who is a stink slut does f**k dogs and blacks

steups.

Lol... allyuh men real emotional dred.

1]; } ?>