April 18, 2024, 09:44:32 AM

Author Topic: Invisible Children / Stop Kony  (Read 2070 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Invisible Children / Stop Kony
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
This thing going viral.

Petition: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/kony_5.html

Video:

Comments: .  The video is about Joseph Kony, the leader of the Lord's Rebellion Army (LRA) which has committed numerous atrocities towards children in Uganda, and his influence is spreading throughout west Africa. The video was produced by a US organization "Invisible Children". The organization has drawn both praise and criticism. Praise for raising awareness of child soldiers and criticism for their push to hunt down Kony as irresponsible foreign policy as well as use of donations (70% for salaries, travel and film making). They are asking for $$.

The message though appears compelling as is the use of social media to tell the public about the need to take action.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Children / Stop Kony
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
this passage ketch meh eye from wikipedia:o

In 2006, the United Nations mounted a covert operation to capture or kill Joseph Kony. A squad of U.S.-trained Guatemalan Special Ops soldiers set out into Congo's Garamba National Park, a longtime LRA refuge and the scene of the 2008–2009 Garamba offensive. Trained in jungle warfare and accustomed to surviving in the bush for long stretches, the Guatemalans were equipped with M-16s and the latest special-operations technology. Five LRA soldiers were killed and none of the Special Ops soldiers survived. According to one account, the commander of the Special Ops soldiers was beheaded. The battle, which lasted for several hours, included hand to hand combat. Reports put the U.N. dead at eight to forty. The LRA left the corpses in the jungle but took the weapons—including heavy machine guns and grenade launchers.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
KONY 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »

Social media has helped bring these atrocities to light.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
The perils of social media ?

http://glenpearson.ca/2012/03/09/click-here-to-care/

In the last 48 hours, my wife and I have field endless requests for guidance on the Kony 2012 phenomenon. We have worked in south Sudan for years, where Kony himself occasionally staged his operations, crossing the border into Uganda to launch his lethal raids. Thanks to the almost unprecedented success of the Internet video, the goal of its promoter – Invisible Children – has achieved success in turning Joseph Kony into a household name. But from that point on things become terribly blurred.

Invisible Children wants you to know that Kony is a mass murderer, rapist, and confirmed war criminal, and they want you to help stop him by donating to the organization so that they can advocate Western governments, primarily the Americans, to hunt Kony down, and also so that they can support government of Uganda militia troops to seek him out and bring him to justice. This is complex stuff – your donations dollars going to military operations – made all the more confounding by the group’s claim to protect children, including child soldiers, by removing Kony from the equation.

No sooner had the video circled the globe than criticisms arose over Invisible Children’s methods and claims. Responding to those arguments, the organization’s spokespersons requested that people not rush to judgement but examine the situation more in-depth. That has now been done extensively in the last 24 hours and the results haven’t been encouraging.

Initially we learned of the high administrative costs and generous salaries of the organization’s staff. Such levels of administration would never be accepted in other non-government organizations functioning around the world, but with little scrutiny on Invisible Children’s finances, its overhead has avoided notice. As the hours ensued and the video advanced in its momentous viewings across the globe, we learned that President Obama had already deployed 100 military advisors to help the Ugandan army locate Kony.

There has also been an extensive international operation underway to locate, arrest, and convict Kony at the International Criminal Court. In other words, the international community has been on this case for a number of years.

It’s also important to know that Kony hasn’t been in Uganda for six years.

For a time he was in south Sudan, but now the sense is that he is hiding out in the Central African Republic – far away from the Ugandan army’s ability to capture him. Also, Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army, while still creating some havoc, is a shell of its former self – perhaps comprising only a few hundred followers. His days of hell-raising and extensive bloodshed are largely in the past. Part of the reason for that is that he is a hunted criminal, pursued by the likes of Navy Seals and international investigators. His days of freewheeling are over. Yet the Kony 2012 video doesn’t leave anyone with that impression. Rather, it makes out that he still has a huge force and that children are being recruited in significant numbers into his purposes – a statement that doesn’t pass the smell test. To claim he presently has an army of 30,000 child soldiers is misleading. The film’s producer should have informed us that such a figure comprises the total number of child soldiers enlisted and abducted over a 30-year period. Most of those unfortunate youth are now older, out of the LRA, and badly in need of rehabilitation and development, not protection.

Look, I get where Invisible Children is coming from, but it’s video is already 5-6 years out of date – something it never tells us. Other NGOs in that region would die for that kind of circulation of their work; but then again, they would do their best not to play fast and loose with the facts. There’s a reason why these NGOs have stayed out of all the hubbub concerning the video – paying money to Ugandan government militias runs the huge risk of playing with the devil and only escalating the cycle of violence. That is only a practice that can end in ruin and experienced NGOs know it.

Perhaps the most important thing of all is that people retweeted the video because of the kids. Yet only about 30% of donations go towards actual programs for the youth themselves. The rest goes to militia donations, administration, communications, and advocacy. None of this is covered in the video.

It’s easy to see why the Kony 2012 video created such a stir. It’s about catching a monster, but ultimately it emotionally urged us to protect those kids. Well, most of those kids are now young adults, trying to survive in Uganda, and badly in need of development dollars for health, education, rehabilitation, and employment training. They are no longer caught within Kony’s web of intrigue and butchery. If we really wish to assist them, consider a group like Romeo Dallaire’s Child Soldier Initiative, War Child or Gulu Walk – all three Canadian organizations doing tremendous work for such young people. And there are other great organizations.

A report came out yesterday that the vast majority of viewers simply forwarded the video to others without making a donation. One click and they felt like they did something. And they did – the knowledge of Kony was surely helpful. But if it’s the damaged former child soldiers we wish to help, there are other options. Far more than clicking on a keyboard, they will require literally years of support and dedication. That’s the kind of compassion that will make a difference – it’s the only kind that ever did.

Glen Pearson is a former professional firefighter who now serves as co-director of the London Food Bank. He also directs the NGO Canadian Aid for Southern Sudan and is a former member of parliament. Living in London, Ontario, Glen is a father of seven, including three children from Sudan.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:42:32 AM by pecan »

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »
Did Teju Boo-Boo Assholeawooloo ever consider that there are some people who care more about Children than they care about Sachs?

And that the same people have also decried the atrocities or perceived atrocities in Iraq and elsewhere, and that their social activism is a step in the right direction?

Maybe he should write a treatise on Ghandi too!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
Did Teju Boo-Boo Assholeawooloo ever consider that there are some people who care more about Children than they care about Sachs?

And that the same people have also decried the atrocities or perceived atrocities in Iraq and elsewhere, and that their social activism is a step in the right direction?

So what's your take on ghandi? i would really like to know.                       positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

While Teju may be simplifying and generalizing and painting all white people with the same brush, I don't think he is necessarily off-target. I suspect that many of the people (black and white and every colour in between) on the Kony Bandwagon are fair weather social activists. Some will join the cause but the majority will pat themselves on the shoulder for doing a good deed today. Tomorrow, they will have forgotten about the child soldier.  Call me a cynic.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »

So what's your take on ghandi? i would really like to know.                       positive.

JC, you know/know of Teju Cole? he living in Brooklyn. In your neck of the woods I think?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:14:49 AM »

JC, you know/know of Teju Cole? he living in Brooklyn. In your neck of the woods I think?
Nah, never heard of him, he kinda looks and sound like one of these up and coming poets. here in NYC, guys like these are dime a dozen, especially on the social consciousness circuit.

these cats sometimes could take things to far, even though their hearts are in the right place, IMO, too much waring and beefing for my taste.

i know guys who would never mate outside their race, and in most cases these ppl tend to follow ah stringent protocol, whether it's recreation, diet (raw /vegan), entertainment, business you name it, they on it hard, not ashamed to say, i can't hang!!

as for me pecan, i not on the black fist pumping tip as ppl would like to think, my thing is being fair and just, regardless of who's involved. ah lot of black ppl here in the US love to use the race card to their convenience, but have no love for self, the thing here real hypocritical meh friend, all this black talk and they will never even give ah fackin starvin dog ah piece ah moldy bread, they would rather throw it in the trash, that's how committed these jokers are.  ::)

The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
‘Kony 2012′ filmmaker arrested in San Diego

By Laura Rozen | The Envoy –

Invisible Children filmmaker Jason Russell in a 2009 file photo. (NBC)Jason Russell, the filmmaker behind the mega-viral "Kony 2012" documentary, was arrested in San Diego on Thursday night, NBC reported, citing the San Diego Police Department.

Russell, 33, "was taken into custody after he was found masturbating in public, vandalizing cars and possibly under the influence of something," NBC's San Diego affiliate reported, citing San Diego Police Department spokeswoman Lt. Andra Brown.

The San Diego Police Department's Brown did not immediately return two messages left Friday from Yahoo News.

The co-founder of the San Diego-based advocacy group Invisible Children was detained on San Diego's Pacific Beach "acting very strange" the NBC report said.

Russell's 30-minute documentary on Ugandan guerrilla leader Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army became a surprise mega viral hit, receiving over 80 million viewers since its release last week. But the film has also kicked up a backlash of criticism against the group, ranging from how Invisible Children spends its finances to whether it cut corners with the facts in order to create a more compelling film about a more than two-decade old Central African conflict.

But Invisible Children has also found many prominent defenders of its work, from members of Congress to President Barack Obama, who sent 100 U.S. special forces to Uganda last fall to search for Kony.

"I think that these guys are getting mercilessly picked apart by a bunch of intellectual elites who spend their days tweeting but never trending," Cameron Hudson, former Bush White House Africa hand, told Yahoo News last week. "If their aim is to raise awareness, they have done that in spades."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »
A whole site dedicated to this fella:
http://kony2012.cheezburger.com/

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
What's the story here? Somebody spike his food or drink? 15 minutes he din need.

1]; } ?>