April 18, 2024, 02:56:03 AM

Author Topic: Good football books to read  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Redknapp Book
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
More damning was the part about him asking out of the game b/c it was too hot.  If true of course.  Shit like that poisons the waters for others trying to get a foot in door after you.

Off topic:

Another gem from the book was the bit about Redknapp playing a fan out the stands... and the fan scoring.  Guardian did a story on it about a month ago, tracking down the fan.  It's all true.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »
More damning was the part about him asking out of the game b/c it was too hot.  If true of course.  Shit like that poisons the waters for others trying to get a foot in door after you.

Off topic:

Another gem from the book was the bit about Redknapp playing a fan out the stands... and the fan scoring.  Guardian did a story on it about a month ago, tracking down the fan.  It's all true.
Yea i read that one as well lol. Harry told the match officials the guy played in the World Cup in 94 and scored a hattrick and the match official replied and said he thought he recognised him lmao. Witty fella this Redknapp.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

Off topic:

It was a offside goal... chalked off but still a hell of a story. I does still be hoping for that to happen to me.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
I suspect dem fitness test ting is a big part of why players we deem to be talented go on trials and come back home.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »
I suspect dem fitness test ting is a big part of why players we deem to be talented go on trials and come back home.

Beep tests are standard, even in T&T. Mitchell, Winchester, Gabriel and Trim are awesome. I recall Graham Rix was very impressed and said that some of our guys could outlast many players at an EPL club. I believe an average score is around 18-20. I saw Gabriel do a 24.

(Basically, you run a set distance between two points and try to reach each point before an automated beep. The time between beeps reduce. You take a breather between rounds. So, the more you do, the quicker you need to run to continue.  The aim is to test how much stamina a player has and how well he can still perform when tired.)

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »

Off topic:

It was a offside goal... chalked off but still a hell of a story. I does still be hoping for that to happen to me.
ur not alone  wit dat  :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »

Beep tests are standard, even in T&T. Mitchell, Winchester, Gabriel and Trim are awesome. I recall Graham Rix was very impressed and said that some of our guys could outlast many players at an EPL club. I believe an average score is around 18-20. I saw Gabriel do a 24.

(Basically, you run a set distance between two points and try to reach each point before an automated beep. The time between beeps reduce. You take a breather between rounds. So, the more you do, the quicker you need to run to continue.  The aim is to test how much stamina a player has and how well he can still perform when tired.)

Most of the colleges in the US use it...it's pretty much a staple fitness test.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »

So why doesn't it translate to the field? Ah guess is de difference between just being fit and being match fit.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »

So why doesn't it translate to the field? Ah guess is de difference between just being fit and being match fit.

Good question. I believe some of it is what European coaches call "heart". You've gotta want to chase back 65 yards in the 89th minute. I know Mitchell wasn't brilliant defensively when he joined Central, but he works really hard on that part of his game now.
We focus a lot on closing down, tackling back etc. May not be the beautiful game, but if you can prevent the opposition from playing, no team is unbeatable.

The reason I feel that our players don't perform well on trials is simply due to poor preparation.

Going on trial is very stressful for anyone. So much depends on a few sessions and small sided games. If you've never experienced the climate, the food, the language then you are disorientated at a point when you need to remain focused. Even your sleep cycle is wrong!

Personally, I believe if a player is going to UK on trial at the moment, he would have more chance if he is at Central. Purely because players are being sent to countries that their coaches have never even visited, so how can they be prepared?
But if we sent someone to another European country, we could help a bit, but I doubt if we could help him if he moved to India, S.E Asia or Middle East!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »

Gawd yuh had to go and spoil it eh?  Lol, but yeah the fella confirmed at the end that he was offside.  Brilliant retelling of it though.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »
Most of the colleges in the US use it...it's pretty much a staple fitness test.

Even my Fitness Keeper app uses it as a baseline measurement when you first start training.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »
My 9 year old son came home yesterday talking about doing a "pace test" in school.  When he described it I told him that is a beep test.  Small man beat everyone with a 22.  If I can get him to translate that energy on the field in about 5 years he should be primed for the warriors that he already stake a claim to.

KJ should be shame dat dis in de book lol.

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
Don't believe what 'Arry wrote about Kenwyne. Can't see a professional athlete being outdone by a 50yr old man (will accept if the 50 yr old is Yorke), and can't see how 'd sun too hot' reply could go without serious repercussions for both his status in the team and subsequent transfers

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Harry have to be a Manager from Barrackpore. The beep test is an indicator not a final result. KJ stopped and say this is what I can do. There is a procedure to follow after that. The only way Harry could tell KJ he needs to run more is if KJ had his heart rate monitor on and they tracking his vitals. Other than that you use the level he is at to increase his fitness level. For Harry to talk about this shows more about Harry than it does about KJ.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
Thus commences the excuses.  Same shit we've been hearing (and saying( about Kenwyne he whole career "doesn't hustle enough", "too laid back", "not committed enough." Now we hearing it directly from one of his ex-managers and man saying "doh believe him, he eh know what he talking about."  I think all of us would agree that the one hindrance to Kenwyne's career hasn't been talent, but application.  Hopefully he sorts all that out while he still can.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
Harry have to be a Manager from Barrackpore. The beep test is an indicator not a final result. KJ stopped and say this is what I can do. There is a procedure to follow after that. The only way Harry could tell KJ he needs to run more is if KJ had his heart rate monitor on and they tracking his vitals. Other than that you use the level he is at to increase his fitness level. For Harry to talk about this shows more about Harry than it does about KJ.

There's something to this. It is similar to his revelation that senior internationals texted him to say that they wish he was the manager.

"All the senior players seemed to be up for me to get the job. I got quite a few text messages at the time from players saying they would love me to manage England: Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry," he adds.

On English radio, there have been comments stating that this and related comments about not getting the England job underscore why he didn't get the England job.

BUT: at the end of the day, lehwe not forget ... he's trying to sell a book! Sensational revelations capture interest.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Civil Rights era is the backdrop to this story of a black college soccer team who played their hearts out to overcome racial injustice in 1970s USA. Stocked with some of the best Caribbean and African players of the era, the Howard University Bison went on to win two national championships under the martial discipline of Coach Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips. The Tiger made history by becoming the first college coach to win an NCAA championship for a Historically Black University, when the Bison stormed to the 1971 and 1974 titles. He is a former professional goalkeeper who did his utmost to repel the sorcery of Brazilian maestro Pelé in the early days of professional soccer in the United States, and helped take Trinidad & Tobago to bronze at the 1967 Pan Am Games. This biography crackles with anecdotes of Coach Phillips's life. From his roller skating, Carnival costume-wearing boyhood in Trinidad to his days as the nickname-bestowing soccer coach who expects his players to excel, academically and athletically, Above And Beyond will transport the reader from the tears of tough losses to the euphoria of two national titles. Read the story of an athlete and soldier so exhausted from long days of training for competition that he can't polish his army boots when he returns to base, and learn about the man who finds the ideal slogan to rally the embattled Howard team to a second national title after they're stripped of the first.

Get it here - http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Above-Beyond-Crossbar-Phillips/dp/1491862483/

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Autobiography

Rising Above and Beyond the Crossbar
Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips

Preface

One advantage the immigrant has over the native is the ability to see opportunities hiding in plain sight to which the native is blind – being able to see a forest and not just trees.   It is this acumen that led a gifted black athlete on the national teams in two sports, and with a promising military career, to emigrate with his wife and  two young sons from his safe and comfortable tropical paradise to the United States of the turbulent 1960s.  He used his gift of vision, encouraged by boundless optimism, to create a lifework that is a model of professional achievement and successful family life.   Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips, Trinidad and Tobago’s legendary goalkeeper, North American Soccer League player, soccer coach of two Howard University NCAA Division I championship teams, USA national soccer team goalkeeper coach and FIFA  staff coach undertook this career journey that is both inspiring and illuminating. 

The classic ”rags to riches” story in the Horatio Alger tradition is of a poor, working class boy who through hard work, perseverance and uncompromising integrity overcomes tremendous obstacles to achieve great wealth and social standing.  Lincoln’s character and work ethic enabled him to meet challenges as daunting as in the Alger stories but his rewards were far greater than wealth.  He has made a real difference in the lives of thousands of people all over the world.  He did this by instilling national pride through his exploits on the playing field, by coaching and mentoring young people at Howard University, the USA’s  and Trinidad and Tobago’s national soccer teams, by lecturing at FIFA coaches’ training, and by guiding the Trinidad and Tobago national soccer team, and therefore its players, to international prominence.   

Lincoln’s life has been a dogged progression from poverty on Bengal Street in St. James, Trinidad to a position of great responsibility and influence as Technical Director of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation for which he enjoys the deep respect and esteem of his fellow citizens.  Along the way he learned self-discovery, perseverance, leadership, judicious risk-taking, maximizing the value of teamwork, and humility.  His has been a lifetime of accomplishment pursued with determination, humility and grace.  Lincoln’s nickname “Tiger” is most apt because it symbolizes graceful motion and ferocity and he was both graceful and ferocious between the uprights.  As keen and unrelenting as Lincoln was in competition, he has been considerate and humble in his everyday dealings with everyone in his orbit.  Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips’ story is a gift to readers that will cheer, energize and impel others towards a commitment to selfless service and generosity.

By:  Neville DeHann

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was at the book signing last Friday. It was well attending and was indeed a pleasant evening for Lincoln. Even the acting HU President, Fredericks, turned up later on. He greeted and shook lots of hands. He did not give any speeches. I got a copy and will take a read this  weekend. I spoke to Sheldon quite briefly and he said that he knows he has an uphill battle to rectify the problems of the TTFA. But he will put every ounce of endeavour to elevate TT football. He said, he appreciates the comments, even opposing ones, from our website. He just ask for some patience.  Some old stars from the 71 and 74 team showed up. Acqui, Leiba, Bain, Trevor Mitchell, Mori Diane,Yallery-Arthur, Mario Mclenon, Richard Tullouch, Bunny Davey, Bancroft Gordon, Gerard Dugan and the present coach Philip Gyau. It was pleasant evening.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
That is Barnaby name?  ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That is Barnaby name?  ;D

Yep, Tulluch or Tullouch. I hoped I have the name right. Gillian More, Victor Gamaldo were there too. Crown Bakery provided the eats.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Lincoln has come a long way.

I must give him credit for how he has progress in his life.

I hope he do well with his book.

He should donate a few to SWO.

:devil:

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rising Above the Crossbar: Interview with Lincoln Phillips
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8OMb576iDC8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8OMb576iDC8</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Phillips’ book an honest read
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 06:51:37 AM »
Phillips’ book an honest read
By Angela Pidduck (T&T Newsday
)

Lincoln Abraham Phillips’ second book Rising Above And Beyond The Crossbar - The life story of Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips - was presented to the reading public during his recent Carnival visit. Already available at The Fan Club in Movie- Towne, Phillips hopes for a formal launch when he returns with his wife, Linda, to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in April.

Phillips shares his “footballing” life from the days as a nine-year-old sports fanatic going to the Queen’s Park Savannah with his big brother to watch fiercely contested First Division football matches when his hero Hugh Sealy “The Black Panther” kept goal for the dreaded Maple team, dressed all in black, to his involvement in the sport as “Coach” of the Lincoln Phillips Soccer School in the United States.

The first chapter sets the tone for the 200-page book, as Phillips describes life as a child in the streets of St James when all he wanted was “to be like Panther.” To the extent that his mother, Anita, who cleaned house for the wealthy Siegert family of the rum-distilling dynasty, and pressed sheets for Chinese clients, boiled a flour bag until the writing dissolved, stitched the bag into a pair of shorts and along with a long -sleeved white shirt - dunks them all in darkest dye. “Dressed in black socks, black shorts, black shirt, with a pair of socks pulled over my hands as gloves (also black, of course) I prance around the Woodbrook Youth Centre….Until it starts to rain. The puddle beneath me blackens, and my shorts are nothing but a flour bag once again.”

That then was the day Phillips, who went on to achieving sporting accolades too numerous to list here, played his first big football match saving for St Crispin’s primary school “looking as sharp as The Panther until the rain came down and washed the illusion away.” Most of us will remember Phillips in the Queen’s Royal College Intercol goal, but he also made lasting impact playing the Intercol cricket final of 1959 for QRC, after which he was awarded a special prize by the Principal for sporting conduct, having truthfully pointed out to his captain that what appeared to be a catch he had taken was a bounced ball and the opposing batsman was called back to resume his knock.

The name “Tiger” came when Phillips moved on as goalkeeper for first division Maple at age 19; then it was the lure of the newly formed Trinidad and Tobago Regiment with the promise of being sent to England to study physical training to instruct fellow soldiers on his return, as the Regiment was starting football, basketball, cricket and field hockey. “The Regiment” says Phillips “plundered the best footballers in the country from the first division clubs as no other club could offer a job as well.” By this time Phillips was courting Linda D’Andrade and on April 18, 1965 wearing his white army dress-uniform exchanged vows with her at Holy Rosary Church. They now have four grown sons and six grandchildren..At the end of his book, Phillips pays her tribute saying “I owe it all to my wife, Linda Felicia.”

In 1963 Phillips wore national colours for the first time on a tour to Suriname. In 1966 the Regiment sent him to England for Physical Training Instruction (PTI) and in 1967 he was between the uprights when the national football team won its only bronze medal at the hemispheric Pan Am Games in Winnipeg, Canada.

He was only 27 years when a scout, Derek Tomkinson, for an American pro-soccer team was so impressed with his “second-half saves” in a game between his team the Regiment and Malvern in a FA semi-final at the Queen’s Park Oval, that he immediately wanted to sign Phillips to the Baltimore Bays for the 1968 season in the fledgling North American Soccer League. Phillips, a Sargeant in the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment, was about to serve the sixth and final year of his Regiment contract. Once Tomkinson guaranteed that the Bays would pay for his continued education, and his wife agreed, relatively certain he would go, Phillips signed a one-year contract for US$47,000, which sounded like a lot of money until he arrived in the States.

In 2004, Phillips reminisces, “From a shack in St James, Trinidad, I’d travelled further than I could ever have dreamed, I’d spent almost 40 years in the United States, playing professional soccer and coaching everyone from the physically disabled to the best college team in the country.

I had plumbed the depths of despair, and celebrated triumph. Now in 2004 it was time to go back home…..I had no delusions. I was hopeful, yes, but clear-eyed. I had been looking for an opportunity to play a role in Trinidad and Tobago football for years; it had just never worked out. Until Jack Warner came knocking.”

Two very informative and honestly written chapters tell the story of Warner’s invitation to Phillips to work with the national team in an effort to qualify for the World Cup in Germany 2006, after which Phillips continued as Technical Director. This ended when “The T&TFF administration had systematically dismantled my duties in order to get rid of me. I was technical director in name alone.” By 2009, after an incident involving a ‘misunderstanding’ with the mystery of a quarter-million dollar invoice, Phillips received a termination letter from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation although Warner had said to him that the whole misunderstanding would be dealt with. “Ït was not,” says Phillips. “And On May 25, 2009, after six tumultuous years in Trinidad, we were returning to Maryland.”

Phillips, now a corporate-level motivational speaker writes, “Everywhere I’ve gone in the United States - Howard University, Gaithersburg, Batimore - American football has been king. But I’ve lived to see soccer hustle its way to a position of some respectability. I like to believe that I’ve played some small role in helping the sport to the fore.”

Lincoln Abraham Phillips, given the names of an American President because of the date of his birth - July 4 1941, holds a Master’s Degree in Physical Education; is mentioned in the Guiness Book of Records as playing the most consecutive soccer games in 1969 without giving up a goal; is the 1965 Player of the Year for basketball and football at the then local WITCO Sports Awards; was inducted into the National Sporting Hall of Fame by the late President Noor Hassanali; and as recently as 2012 was inducted into the Maryland Soccer Hall of Fame as a coach.
“The sport has taken me above and beyond the crossbar.”

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good going LP.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Good football books to read
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »
Been meaning to add some items to this thread. Here are three I discovered this week. Will add a couple I acquired in recent time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »
Where is Roy of the friggin Rovers? If allyuh don't read the annual Roy of the Rovers, allyuh real "illiterate". ;D :devil:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »
Where is Roy of the friggin Rovers? If allyuh don't read the annual Roy of the Rovers, allyuh real "illiterate". ;D :devil:

:rotfl: I used to love Melchester Rovers kits!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »

:rotfl: I used to love Melchester Rovers kits!!

Read my first RR in 69. Big hard cover with plenty of football and other sport info. At the time it was a good book for a young sports jumbie like me.  It was a treat to go by Stephens book store to get the annual. But by 71, playboy became my focus of attention. Ever so often I would see a RR annual and  my eyes  would lit up. Yes!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:32:20 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>