April 25, 2024, 01:56:49 PM

Author Topic: Cato called up to join U-23 team in Ft. Lauderdale.  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cato called up to join U-23 team in Ft. Lauderdale.
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »
Cato called up to join U-23 team in Ft. Lauderdale.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Columbus Crew midfielder Kevan George joined the rest of the Trinidad and Tobago Under 23 squad in their live-in training camp in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday evening and is expected to get his first piece of action when the team takes on Fort Lauderdale Strikers in a training game today (Wednesday) at the home team’s Complex  at 4pm.

George, a Tobago-born former player with St Clair Coaching School, has been signed by Columbus ahead of the upcoming American Major League season. And with less than two weeks to go before T&T’s opening CONCACAF Olympic qualifier against Mexico in California, head coach Angus Eve has drafted in another MLS-based player in 19-year-old Seattle Sounders forward Cordell Cato.

The former T&T Under 20 striker who is in preseason training with Seattle has been released by the club in order to play for T&T at the tournament and is expected to join the team later this week.

Eve however, said there was some uncertainty over the arrival of W Connection striker Shahdon Winchester as well as Polish-based defender Mekeil Williams and Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino.

“We are delighted to have Kevan George coming in so early as well to have young Cordell Cato joining the camp but we are having some problems regarding players like Shahdon, Mekeil Williams and Molino,” Eve told TTFF Media.

“Cato has been doing very well with his club in their preseason preparations. He did not play in their opener but he was in the squad and has done quite well to make a squad of talented players.

He is one who we didn’t interfere with in the early stages because he hadn’t signed his contract yet even though he was training with the club but now he’s done the deal and he’s been in regular training and the club has agreed to release him for which we are grateful. Both Cato and George are coming in at a good time before the tournament which will allow them to be part of the gelling process.

Eve added: “The preparations with the players here are going fine at the moment. We have all the local-based players in the camp but there is the problem with Shahdon in that we understand he has gone on a trial in Norway and now we are hearing he is in Spain.

He was supposed to travel with the team to Jamaica but the management of his club said he had to go off to Norway on business… to sign a contract and obviously we are not going to stop a young player with an opportunity like that. It is a bit of a hamper but we have the local-based players here and we are thankful to the local clubs for their cooperation and also the overseas clubs who have supported us,” Eve added.

Williams is yet to obtain his US Visa despite efforts in Poland to secure it through the TTFF’s assistance. However, Williams has been in Turkey with his club and now ongoing efforts are taking place in Poland to ensure he can travel to Fort Lauderdale by March 17th. Molino and De Silva who has an exam at College of Charleston are scheduled in on March 17th also.

“The Jamaica leg was difficult but very good for us in the sense that we played against two good teams. Portmore also has several Jamaican national players in their squad. The surfaces were not that great but in saying that, it was good for our guys coming into the tournament here in the US where the surfaces are more conducive to our type of game.

The Fort Lauderdale strikers club have made their facilities open to us and field is in excellent condition and the other facilities here are very suitable,” Eve added.

T&T will also face Canada’s Under 23 team at the Holiday Inn Soccer Complex from 3:30 pm on Friday.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Cato called up to join U-23 team in Ft. Lauderdale.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
Good move calling in Cato.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
If Shahdon going to sign a contract in Norway I could kinda understand that but to go on trial before a big tournament doesn't make sense to me especially since there would be a lot of scouts there anyway. It would make more sense to prepare with the team as much as possible to be in sync and make a good impression. He's been on a bunch of trials already. Then they "hearing" he might be in Spain lol. This is so T&T it aint funny. If he was to lose he spot on the team he look fuh that.

They should try to get DeLeon since the US ent pick him.

Ah really hope Molino go be there because he's the main player.  Good to see Cato and George in the team.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
David John Williams assured me that both Williams and Winchester will be released from the 15th. He added that in Williams contract and the club agreed to release the player for a tournament that is not an official FIFA tournament.

Gent didn't do the same for Hyland and no comments from Eve on such.

The team Winchester trial for is from Noray and is in Spain training.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:29:10 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
For what its worth, this was written on the DC fan site today

"Now that Nick DeLeon could be joining up with the T&T U-23s, our margin of error - while still larger than last year - is somewhat narrower than is comfortable."

I guess the jurys still out on whether De Leon will be allowed to join.

http://www.blackandredunited.com/2012/3/13/2869633/mls-preview-dc-united-injuries-chemistry

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
David John Williams assured me that both Williams and Winchester will be released from the 15th. He added that in Williams contract and the club agreed to release the player for a tournament that is not an official FIFA tournament.

Good one Flexo !!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »

De team is FK Haugesund.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »

Thanks for the info Flex  :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »
Cato, Winchester join U-23s.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Strikers Cordell Cato and Shahdon Winchester have both joined the Trinidad and Tobago Under-23 football team, who are currently in a training camp at Cypress Creek, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States.

Cato, from American MLS club Seattle Sounders, and Winchester, from W Connection, arrived at the team camp on Thursday night, on the eve of yesterday’s practice match against the Canada Under-23 squad.

Trinidad and Tobago are due to face Barry University tomorrow before the squad moves to California on Wednesday.

Midfielders Kevin Molino and Sean De Silva, who are both based in the US, and Mekeil Williams, who plays in Poland, are yet to join the TT team, who are preparing for the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers, scheduled to begin on March 23 in the US.

But Williams may be a doubt for the opening game against Mexico due to his inability to obtain an American visa.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 03:13:28 AM »
So they wait till a week before the tournament to apply for Williams visa ?

Typical ?

But in reality, Mekeil Williams left for Poland, shouldn't it have been his responsibility ? its not like he did not know we have games in March.

Typical Trini mentality, he should get denied just for being complacent. Sometimes these people need to be though a lesson.

PS: Sorry guys, to much coffee this morning, I dont like sounding like Sam.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 05:43:39 AM »
So they wait till a week before the tournament to apply for Williams visa ?

Typical ?

But in reality, Mekeil Williams left for Poland, shouldn't it have been his responsibility ? its not like he did not know we have games in March.

Typical Trini mentality, he should get denied just for being complacent. Sometimes these people need to be though a lesson.

PS: Sorry guys, to much coffee this morning, I dont like sounding like Sam.

nope its the federation's  responsibility  ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »

De team is FK Haugesund.

Winchester did not earn a contract with the club.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »
Yuh know ah cyar keep up with all who suppose to join de team. Can't be a good ting. I thought the strength of this team was that the chemestry be preserved.

Who can confidently list the core of this team?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »
George, Cyrus, Cato settling in at T&T U-23 camp
T&T Express

Seattle Sounders striker Cordell Cato, latest addition to the Trinidad and Tobago Under-23 squad, joined the team's live-in camp at Cypress Creek, Fort Lauderdale, Florida on Thursday night, on the eve of a practice match with Canada's Under-23s.

Cato and his former T&T Under-20 strike partner Shahdon Winchester both arrived on Thursday night, which leaves only Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino, midfielder Sean De Silva and Poland-based defender Mekeil Williams to join the camp as the U-23s prepare for the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament, which kicks off next week in the United States.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Angus Eve remains uncertain over Williams as he is yet to obtain his US visa and may not arrive in time for the March 23 opener versus Mexico in Carson, California.

Already in camp is Columbus Crew midfielder Kevan George, who got confirmation this week that he is now an official member of the Crew for the 2012 MLS season. George made a good impression when he came on in the second half of T&T's 2-1 loss to Fort Lauderdale Strikers on Wednesday.

"I'm excited and happy as finally after a couple weeks of uncertainty they came to an agreement. It's a lifelong dream for me," George told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

"Columbus signed me for a purpose and I know I will get my chance. I want to keep progressing with the team here into the Olympic qualifiers and Columbus Crew. There is a rotation in the team and they drafted me for a reason."

Regarding his inclusion in the national Under-23 team, George said the chance couldn't have come at a better time.

"I have been looking forward to this moment for a while and when the coach called my name to go on, I was a bit nervous, but when I got out there it was just all football. The team welcomed me in and it's a matter of settling in and trying to add something positive to what is already here," said the ex-St Clair Coaching School member who left Tobago for the US with his family at age 12.

"I don't know much about Mexico but the game against Fort Lauderdale Strikers was a good test for us and I can see us coming together well and giving it a good go in the tournament," added George, who admires Ivory Coast and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure.

And another T&T player with MLS experience, Daneil Cyrus, is working round the clock to regain full fitness and force his way into the starting XI for the Olympic qualifiers.

Cyrus was sidelined by injury since last September and only returned to play a few weeks ago.

"I'm getting there. I'm maybe 85 per cent there but I'm feeling better every match and I'm focusing on making sure I can contribute to the team's cause in the competition," Cyrus said.

"This training camp is helping me to get back to a good level. We've been able to train twice daily here and get some good match practice.

"The experience at Sporting Kansas also benefitted me a lot. It was hard work day in and day out. And it showed me that nothing comes easy. Everything happens for a reason and although the club waived me, I see it as me getting an opportunity to show my worth with the national team in this tournament.

"And at the end of the day, while we have some difficult opponents, all of us are training hard and it all comes down to what happens on the day. Everyone is like a family here…we live together and die together," Cyrus said.

Following yesterday's game with Canada, the T&T Under-23s will play Barry University tomorrow before heading to California on Wednesday.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:36 AM »
Mekeil Williams got his visa this morning flying tomorrow...

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
boom!  Just Molino needed now and its time to rock and roll

1]; } ?>