April 19, 2024, 07:46:53 AM

Author Topic: Paul explains Olympic team absence  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Paul explains Olympic team absence
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:15:35 AM »
Paul: I will never turn down national team
By Lasana Liburd (wired868)

Gifted Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Leston Paul has denied that he ever turned down the chance to represent his country and said he is rooting for his teammates to book a London 2012 Olympic spot without him.

The 22-year-old playmaker, who is entering his third year at the University of South Florida, said only injury blocked him from joining the squad. Paul, who captained Trinidad and Tobago at the 2007 Under-17 and 2009 Under-19 World Youth Championships, told Wired868.com that he had an operation on his right ankle in January and still uses a protective boot.

Trinidad and Tobago national under-23 team coach Angus Eve said that Paul failed to respond to invitations to join the squad. The player didn't contradict Eve but said it was just a miscommunication.

"(My absence) didn't go across the way I wanted it to," Paul told Wired868. "I don't want people to feel I don't want to play with the team... I love playing for my country.

"Why wouldn't I want to play to qualify for the Olympics?"

The incident might prove to be much ado about nothing. But it arguably highlights the managerial difficulties in handling promising athletes.

Then national under-23 team manager Norris Ferguson was aware that Paul was injured before he returned to Trinidad on vacation last December. But Ferguson told Wired868 that the player was still expected to meet with the team's managerial staff.

"I told him to contact me to chat with myself and the coach," said Ferguson, "but he never did. I kept sending him emails and calling his phone but he never responded...

"He never communicated with me or Angus when he came to Trinidad."

Paul felt the managerial staff was supposed to contact him and claimed to have waited on the call to set up a meeting.

Ferguson was growing frustrated by his failed attempts to reach the player, though. So, he sent Paul a text message informing him of their next training session and requesting his presence.

The midfielder, who lives in Mayaro, thought he was being ordered to train and was annoyed. He did not respond.

"What would I possibly respond and say when he knew I was injured all the way along?" asked Paul. "I didn't have anything to say (to that text)...

"I just don't get why he would want me to come practice and all the way along he knew I was injured."

Paul, to Eve's displeasure, returned to Florida without speaking to any member of the under-23 technical staff.

However, the young playmaker insisted there is plenty football left in his future and that includes international duty.

Paul is working hard to complete his geography major in three years, rather than four, and then intends to take a break to pursue his professional options.

He has not ruled out stepping up to the US Major League Soccer (MLS) if a good offer comes while he would love a chance to play in Europe—he once trained with England Premiership club, Sunderland, after winning a Digicel competition spearheaded by Jamaica-born former Liverpool star John Barnes.

But Paul's dream gig involves the national colours.

READ MORE...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:31:19 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Paul explains Olympic team absence
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:24:13 AM »
Very unprofessional from Leston Paul..

Regardless of whether he is injured or not, if he is serious about the NT, he should take it upon himself to at least check in with the coaching staff to update them on his status..

Worse yet, they making repeated efforts to contact him and he could not even provide the courtesy of a response, a call back or even a text message self??

Who this youth feel he is? Steups..

Get serious fellah.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »
Very unprofessional from Leston Paul..

Regardless of whether he is injured or not, if he is serious about the NT, he should take it upon himself to at least check in with the coaching staff to update them on his status..

Worse yet, they making repeated efforts to contact him and he could not even provide the courtesy of a response, a call back or even a text message self??

Who this youth feel he is? Steups..

Get serious fellah.

Agreed...very unprofessional indeed. At times players get down on the TTFF for being unprofessional and disrespectful towards them, and rightly so, but I can't side with Paul on this one.....you want to be treated with respect and professionalism?...then show some respect and professionalism.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
Leston Paul, fix your head, you have the talent, now fix your head and dont get to carried away.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »
Its not the right way to go for any young player,at least he could meet up with the coach and have a friendly chat bout things,you have to assume that Paul has become to big to be spoken to by anybody in TT hence his un-acceptable behaviour.There is a popular saying"to big for yuh boots",lets hope he is not that.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »
Agreed with all of the above...
Very unprofessional..If the article above is to be believed, it is clear that he is not only ignoring communication, he is also lying in that he said the Mgt team never contacted him, while the Mgt team made tremendous efforts to contact him...
Also, it seems that the Manager was aware of his injury and still told him to contact them when he came to trinidad to have a meet up to chat. The onus was on him and he never did.

This is all about playing for your country, thats all that matters. Any personal agendas should be secondary.
Is either u up for it or not.
Seems as if he is not.
Unless his attitude changes, thanks for the services in the past, and good luck with your new career.  We dont need this in our national programme.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
Well well well. So all along people were calling and pushing for him to be in the U23 team, it was he who was being unprofessional. These fellas not serious at all. Imagine this is his behaviour and he ent even make it yet.  Sometimes when you not seeing players in the team, it's their own doing. So they running him down trying to communicate with him and he couldn't be bothered. The fella say he didn't have anything to say, then he leave T&T without saying a word to the technical staff...that's ridiculous. Ah wonder if he visit the team while in they in Florida, that would have gone some ways to repairing any damage done.

Communication is a key part of life, you need to understand that Leston.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
like he trying to get a U.S callUp or what? I feal so eh..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
war

:thinking: ... chance of that is next to nothing though.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »
Well well well. So all along people were calling and pushing for him to be in the U23 team, it was he who was being unprofessional. These fellas not serious at all. Imagine this is his behaviour and he ent even make it yet.  Sometimes when you not seeing players in the team, it's their own doing. So they running him down trying to communicate with him and he couldn't be bothered. The fella say he didn't have anything to say, then he leave T&T without saying a word to the technical staff...that's ridiculous. Ah wonder if he visit the team while in they in Florida, that would have gone some ways to repairing any damage done.

No, is the TTFF and Eve don't like foreign based players,this is the problem with all of them plus clubs they attach too not helping and we does give the administration a hard time,if we would only get the real facts before we cast blame. 

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
So wat yal trying to say ? The man is the best (arguably) player we have ..... No one really contact him and it's his fault ? How the they go send him a text ...that sounding professional to u ? The man goin a university and it is probably ten times more professional than Trini football so u can't blame him for having standards ....why eve couldn't call him and say come watch training ......the man leave and went to get proper treatment in his school and they vex with him ....... Don't pick him das a quality player we losing out on

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
So wat yal trying to say ? The man is the best (arguably) player we have ..... No one really contact him and it's his fault ? How the they go send him a text ...that sounding professional to u ? The man goin a university and it is probably ten times more professional than Trini football so u can't blame him for having standards ....why eve couldn't call him and say come watch training ......the man leave and went to get proper treatment in his school and they vex with him ....... Don't pick him das a quality player we losing out on
"I kept sending him emails and calling his phone but he never responded..."

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
war

:thinking: ... chance of that is next to nothing though.
boi us love to do dat gave  a man a game and den tell him bye...

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »

No, is the TTFF and Eve don't like foreign based players,this is the problem with all of them plus clubs they attach too not helping and we does give the administration a hard time,if we would only get the real facts before we cast blame. 

;D boy Coop's yuh looking fuh cuss yes. Yuh know how people feel about Eve.

Me I doh pick sides, if yuh wrong, yuh wrong.....and if yuh right, yuh right.

And Leston wrong

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
Guys, Hold off Coops a bit nah. Why allyuh not believing Leston? He may as well be injured. Imagine a young WC player, already having issues with TTFF. From the youth WC to present. I have not seen Paul to be a difficult player to deal with. He never appeared to be swell headed(If anyone knows of him, clear the air). There is something more than what either TTFF or Leston is saying. Another thing, Leston is in school. This tournament is in the latter part of the Spring semester. This the semester he needs to do a heavy workload, so that he would not have to do that in the fall semester. He eh no professional, he is still in school.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:40:45 PM by Deeks »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

And Leston wrong
        Breds if you notice something with me,i don't really care how anyone feels about my views,i am not here to please anyone,if you want or feel like cussing me fine that's your perogative join the rest of the crew.You say he wrong well i say Paul is within his rights to do as he feels because the same people who getting at him to play for T&T is the same people who says the TTFF don't care about Footballers,so if Paul have a don't care attitude he is within his rights.
        When you look at what's going on with T&T Football i would not blame Paul or any player for adopting a negative attitude,imagine Football don't have an office,all the administration in acting positions,it have no development programs,they depending on the MOS to finance what ever little it have etc etc Kelvin Jack and all say if those guys don't play Olympic qualifying so be it,nobody cares but you all want players to care.Imagine we can't get our foreign based players but people against Eve and Hudson Charles for training the locals. 

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »

And Leston wrong
        Breds if you notice something with me,i don't really care how anyone feels about my views,i am not here to please anyone,if you want or feel like cussing me fine that's your perogative join the rest of the crew.You say he wrong well i say Paul is within his rights to do as he feels because the same people who getting at him to play for T&T is the same people who says the TTFF don't care about Footballers,so if Paul have a don't care attitude he is within his rights.
        When you look at what's going on with T&T Football i would not blame Paul or any player for adopting a negative attitude,imagine Football don't have an office,all the administration in acting positions,it have no development programs,they depending on the MOS to finance what ever little it have etc etc Kelvin Jack and all say if those guys don't play Olympic qualifying so be it,nobody cares but you all want players to care.Imagine we can't get our foreign based players but people against Eve and Hudson Charles for training the locals. 

Remind me again who was de foreigners giving Eve and them problems again ?

Furthermore, Leston Paul is not a foreigner, he is a local player who playing aboard.

When we say foreigner, we say players not born in T&T.....

Leston Paul was called, text and everything else, all he had to do is answer the phone and handle his business like a big man but he choose to ignore the call....

If he had problems with the TTFF, he should have said so in the interview. Be a big man and stop acting like a blasted punk !!!! maybe he wanted to TTFF to treat him like a popo !!!!!

Or maybe he vex he never got called since he left for the US, but what ever de case, he should have handle he business better.

But he is a youth and go learn, so ah not really vex with him in that scene

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:03:47 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 08:23:53 PM »
This is not to make excuses for Paul, eh; but these fellas are immature. Both sides. Both Paul and Furgerson and them. Don't these guys understand the Trinidad mentality? Can't they pick up when there must be some sort of miscommunication going on? Is there no trying to "save" these youths from themselves? Seeking to establish who's right and who's wrong doesn't, in the end, accomplish the highest goals of the program. So what's next? Who is coaching these youths in courtesy, diplomacy and decorum? Without these skills we will fail before we kick a ball. Stupps man.

These kinds of happenings are a colossal waste.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »
like I said before, look how this yute already sizing up the TTFF. Everybody jumping on Leston. I don't think we have the complete story. Leston probably fed up the TTFF in his very young age. TTFF be trying to get control(discipline) of the juniors and some of them refusing to march in time.

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
And this article only tlking about December ......wat about in august when he was available ? And was not contacted about training or wasnt in the squad for the first round of qualifying....this going on since then.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 02:10:30 AM »
Maybe because they didn't needed him and wanted to use him for the more important games ?

Maybe they knew he was also recovering from an injury ?

Maybe the U23 didn't have games in August and if they did it did not include any foreign based players as they wanted to see some of the locals ?

Maybe Angus Eve didn't see the need for him as he does not care to much for foreign base players and now he is trying to add them in and it seems to be affect the team chemstry. ?

It could be many things.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:26:43 AM by Sando »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
like I said before, look how this yute already sizing up the TTFF. Everybody jumping on Leston. I don't think we have the complete story. Leston probably fed up the TTFF in his very young age. TTFF be trying to get control(discipline) of the juniors and some of them refusing to march in time.

When it comes to the youth particularly in and from T&T we need to not makes excuses for that kind of behaviour.

TTFF and their rediculous actions is no excuse for someone to be unprofessional. Not because teachers watless yuh go tell ah child is ok to be disrespectful when they go to school. People shouldn't pick and choose when they decide to be professional.

The fella need to learn to be professional even in the face of unprofessionalism.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
I cyah believe anything from that article.  Sometimes you have to humble yourself to the needs of the players for the good of the team.  Leadership doesn't always mean calling all the shots and having the last say.  This is a managerial failure. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »

When it comes to the youth particularly in and from T&T we need to not makes excuses for that kind of behaviour.

TTFF and their rediculous actions is no excuse for someone to be unprofessional. Not because teachers watless yuh go tell ah child is ok to be disrespectful when they go to school. People shouldn't pick and choose when they decide to be professional.

The fella need to learn to be professional even in the face of unprofessionalism.

TriniM, I dont think Leston is a rebel or indiscipline or else he would not be in college. It takes a whole lot of discipline to go to college play ball and get good grades. I just think Leston done size up what he is going to deal with, for the rest of his football career as it pertains to the TT national team.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:38:11 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
Funny thing though, allthough I am siding with Leston on this issue, I don't think he would have made the team.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »
I cyah believe anything from that article.  Sometimes you have to humble yourself to the needs of the players for the good of the team.   Leadership doesn't always mean calling all the shots and having the last say.  This is a managerial failure. 

You must be talking about the choir....otherwise yuh cyah be serious.

Imagine Alex Ferguson saying that...like yuh ent see what Mancini do to Tevez  :beermug:

And why can't believe anything in the article? Is Lasana lying or Leston lying or both. Because most of the article Leston is "QUOTED" as the actual words of Leston.

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
I realise men who responding to this post doh know anything about Leston Paul yes, the man is the most humble and professional youth player that the country has to offer and he has always been this way since youth days. If you think that he wouldn't have made this current Olympic Squad then is best you watch more football yes. The TTFF need to get more professional with the way that they treat their players, from the youth to the senior squads and it is as simple as that.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »
I realise men who responding to this post doh know anything about Leston Paul yes, the man is the most humble and professional youth player that the country has to offer and he has always been this way since youth days. If you think that he wouldn't have made this current Olympic Squad then is best you watch more football yes. The TTFF need to get more professional with the way that they treat their players, from the youth to the senior squads and it is as simple as that.

"I just don't get why he would want me to come practice and all the way along he knew I was injured."

I don't think he would have made the squad because he was injured.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:46:20 PM by Deeks »

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
Funny thing though, allthough I am siding with Leston on this issue, I don't think he would have made the team.

Sorry I really didn't realise that that's what you meant

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
its not all that glitters is gold....and still half the story to be told
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>