March 28, 2024, 05:03:14 PM

Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
I started to play consistently again a month or so ago.  Twice a week and more recently an additional 2 indoor games every Sunday night.  Sometimes there's a 20 minute break in between but these games are fast.  Why do I still feel so flat? I'm flat for most of the game. As in touch to heavy, turns slow, speed off.  Then all of a sudden...genius!!  Like I'm in a new body then flat again.   I started to watch the diet for energy and recently started to add protein.  Even though I'm getting fitter, I still feel tight, heavy and slow.  I'm 38. 6ft. 215lbs.  Any ideas?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
I started to play consistently again a month or so ago.  Twice a week and more recently an additional 2 indoor games every Sunday night.  Sometimes there's a 20 minute break in between but these games are fast.  Why do I still feel so flat? I'm flat for most of the game. As in touch to heavy, turns slow, speed off.  Then all of a sudden...genius!!  Like I'm in a new body then flat again.   I started to watch the diet for energy and recently started to add protein.  Even though I'm getting fitter, I still feel tight, heavy and slow.  I'm 38. 6ft. 215lbs.  Any ideas?
In all honesty, is that muscle?  Even if not its not very overweight, but it could still slow you down.  Depending on how long you've been out it may take awhile to get back to any kind of fitness.  I played with a guy who was 40 and hadn't played reguarly in 10 years and was a smoker.  Took him like 4 months to get even decently fit and he wasn't in bad shape to begin with.

It does sound like it could be diet or maybe you need to do a better warmup if you are flat initially then get your wind.  Before a game I try not to overthink it in terms of diet as that doesn't determine fitness, just maybe have an energy bar are something before.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:00:26 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
You may have hit it on the head there Worm because my thighs are the things giving me most pressure.  I honestly started to believe that it was rest and protein but I could certainly do with 10lbs gone. 

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »
You may have hit it on the head there Worm because my thighs are the things giving me most pressure.  I honestly started to believe that it was rest and protein but I could certainly do with 10lbs gone. 
Could be leg strength too I guess then, especially if you have an office job or something and haven't been doing anything that involves your legs (jogging, biking, etc.) for awhile.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:35:17 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
Stop flying kite!!!!

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
Try working on the hip flexor muscles of the legs..........that is where u'll get the power for ur burst of speed. when that muscle is "weak" you would feel as if everything is dragging. Even tho your thigh and hamstring may be reasonably strong .......a weak hip flexor will keep you back.......

Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »

i only joking, eh man!

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
The fellas done tell meh to stay away from the wife on Sundays.  So Deeks, ain't no seen.   ;D  Cowen I'll try the hip flexor stretch.  I never thought I'll ever become that guy.  The guy that look like he should be able to play...But putting down a pile.   ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:07 PM »
check Pep
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »

i only jocking, eh man!

Gawd Deeks... you too with dis ting?

:D

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:09:04 PM »
Visit Sanford Florida, go to Zimmerman's sudivision wearing a hoodie and run in the rain.....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
Wind sprints after 10 laps of a football field.  Best ting for fitness.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
TC want me go by Zimme and you want me do wind sprints after 3miles.   What I do allyuh? 

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
I lost about 60 lbs between Jan 2011 and now mainly through running . I try to run at least 10k every other day. The result on the field are positive especially in terms of endurance. Speed obviously improved too after getting rid of that extra weight.

I'm 6 feet as well but I'm down to 188 from a high of almost 250. If you drop some of that weight you will feel the difference on the field, I promise you that. I'm faster and fitter now than when I was a schoolboy. Running works, as low tech and boring as it is , it works.

If you have a smartphone with a gps download an app called endomondo and track your progress. Push yourself and you will see results on the field.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
I lost about 60 lbs between Jan 2011 and now mainly through running . I try to run at least 10k every other day. The result on the field are positive especially in terms of endurance. Speed obviously improved too after getting rid of that extra weight.

I'm 6 feet as well but I'm down to 188 from a high of almost 250. If you drop some of that weight you will feel the difference on the field, I promise you that. I'm faster and fitter now than when I was a schoolboy. Running works, as low tech and boring as it is , it works.

If you have a smartphone with a gps download an app called endomondo and track your progress. Push yourself and you will see results on the field.

Interesting to hear you say this.. Im 6ft tall as well and have been fluctuating between 190 lbs and 210 lbs mostly based on my diet, level of activity and beers intake..

This season, i am playing with a new team in a league here in Trinidad and plan to take it seriously.. Last week our first session was an endurance run to test everyone level, and it was a disaster. The run was basically from Macqueripe beach all the way out almost to Base and then back to Macqueripe beach again... Ah nearly capsize.. Roast like woah, and my hamstring tighten up on the way back and i couldn't even finish it.

So i starting to run now, the goal is 3-5 times a week. Sweating a couple times a week and looking to squeeze in some Spin Class in between but i serious about getting fit this year. I hope i can get the results like you mentioned.

But yuh right though, the fitness does impact everything.. Last year when i was fitter, i could get away with a bad trap because i would make a second step to retrieve the ball. Now the ball will just roll away if i aint trap it clean.. When i was fitter, i think the game alot faster, move into spaces and move the ball along much more quickly.. More confident on the ball and willing to chase the opposition to pressure.  Nowadays i feeling kinda flat like Preacher mentioned. When yuh see yuh find yuh self collecting the ball and screening off all the time like yuh name Kaydonna, yuh know yuh fitness lacking.

I know a coach who would always say if he had to choose between 2 players, one with 90% skill and 10% fitness and the other with 10% skill and 90% fitness, he taking the fit man anyday. A fit shitty player could get away.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:46:40 PM by dinho »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
Yeah dinho all that too. I find it helps with sharpness and concentration.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
Eh preacher, on the real, and me eh no footballer like dinho and jahgol, but yuh ever stop tuh think that age might be the only factor here?? why yuh think fellas does retire from sports, particularly soccer when they reach mid to late thirties, that's bc the body does lose ah few steps, and your muscles ain't as flexible no mo.

all dat running thing is good fuh ah fella your age, but when yuh reach mid forties and beyond, running should not be an option, things like low impact exercise should be seriously considered, like spinning, swimming, and yoga, yeh losing more weight should be ah boss move, but don't expect the same magic as when you were in your twenties.     real talk.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:17:42 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
running good eh. I myself started running a lot more since there is no gym nearby here and i find it to be quite relaxing surprisingly to go for long runs. Also training for an event in a couple weeks called toughmudder. 12 mile obstacle course. So that alone motivated me to keep up the running in the winter.
Thing is I usually keep for a team up here, since i find englishmen tackle like proper wildmen and i eh looking to have a 5th knee surgery anytime soon.
But i noticed when i played the last ten mins out in a game recently that it was a different story. Although I am pretty fit, match fit is a different story.
Throw some fartlegs in yuh run, do lil sprints that will more mimic the type of workout u getting in a game. In football you are constantly moving between sprints and jogs and walking to recover. So throw some of that in to yuh workout.
Also running long distances everyday eh the best for most peoples legs. Can even do high intensity short circuit training which boosts yuh metabolism and helps with  burning fat quicker even if u on a recovery day just doing small easy workouts
Back in Trini...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
Eh preacher, on the real, and me eh no footballer like dinho and jahgol, but yuh ever stop tuh think that age might be the only factor here?? why yuh think fellas does retire from sports, particularly soccer when they reach mid to late thirties, that's bc the body does lose ah few steps, and your muscles ain't as flexible no mo.

all dat running thing is good fuh ah fella your age, but when yuh reach mid forties and beyond, running should not be an option, things like low impact exercise should be seriously considered, like spinning, swimming, and yoga, yeh losing more weight should be ah boss move, but don't expect the same magic as when you were in your twenties.     real talk.
This is not first I'm hearing about that and there's probably sound reasoning behind it but I observe something different. I don't know if is because young people are too inactive or what but I find some of the most consistent people is that over forty crowd. I always seeing them and they keep up a good pace too.

One time I running on the bus route and pass this fella  looking like he in his early forties. I was ahead for about 200 meters. He past me and start to look smaller and smaller in the distance. I'm 27, I feel shame.  This next time I running around Eddie Hart keeping up what I thought was a good pace. I lapping dem muscle bound freaks and this ole man lapping me. He was at least 60 dred .

But you right age will affect your performance in some areas.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:58:36 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
Yeah allyuh on point. I think I'll start showing up a little earlier and add in some warm up laps and start biking.  I hate running jess so.  I'll do fitness drills all day jess don't ask me to run watching the trees and ground. :)  After the scrimmage I'll do some wind sprints.  As many as I could bear. :)   Age is a funny thing though.  I cyah believe I posting up so in game.  scheups.  I buddy told me that my muscles may be tight because they may not be getting the right supplement to rebuild.  So I've added vitamins and proteins.  I even thought of doing the weekly open games with some angle weights, but that sound like an injury waiting to happen.  Thanks for the input though. 

giggsy11

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 08:32:59 PM »
Yeah allyuh on point. I think I'll start showing up a little earlier and add in some warm up laps and start biking.  I hate running jess so.  I'll do fitness drills all day jess don't ask me to run watching the trees and ground. :)  After the scrimmage I'll do some wind sprints.  As many as I could bear. :)   Age is a funny thing though.  I cyah believe I posting up so in game.  scheups.  I buddy told me that my muscles may be tight because they may not be getting the right supplement to rebuild.  So I've added vitamins and proteins.  I even thought of doing the weekly open games with some angle weights, but that sound like an injury waiting to happen.  Thanks for the input though. 

If you want muscle repair after working out try drinking chocolate milk. Avoid chocolate milk with high sugar content though. Preferably soy chocolate milk is the best choice. And do a lot of stretching.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
wait two more years preacher.....lehmeh tell yuh...after a game the next day yuh does be fine....is the day after that the pain and soreness does come...

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
For the area you living, pick up ice skating, move on to hockey then come back to football, you go be sharp!

Nah but for real like you said, streching proper before games helps. Although I myself hate running, that maybe one of the better options even a few short sprints, also simple core exercises to build stability and strength will help. You could even buy a Richard Simmons dvd, he might motivate you into shape and prime form ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »
Me eh know what allyuh mamaguying Preacher for. Once he accept dat he's ah shithong, everyting go fall in place.  :rotfl:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
I used to be a fit, shitty player ( the one who would get pick over the skilled unfit player)

Now i eh fit no more. :(

That 2 outta 3 eh bad thing is not true  ;D
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Yeah dinho all that too. I find it helps with sharpness and concentration.

Yup when yuh roast, the simplest things is get harder... mistakes and bad decisions galore.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:46:54 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
Preacher,

whappenin to you is yuh moving good when yuh ketch yuh 2nd wind.

So is more of a diet/vitamin/acid problem than a training problem.

You doing enough to keep a certain level of fitness up.

How long before you sweat do you eat?...also what are you eating?

Timing of your meal important..also lil ting like a banana, nuts, some chocolate or even a granola a hr before will help you out.

Also Patriot used to lecture to me long time bout acid in meh system etc. It is true. If you drink wheatgrass or lemon water even kangen water etc and alkaline your body you will notice better endurance and performance. No kinda pain and yuh doh get bun as fast....plenty veggies.

Also if I want to get a good sweat and some energy but not drink red bull or 5 hrs...drink some apple cider vinegar (braggs) and some water....you will sweat like a horse and get a lil zess...only downside is you pee like a horse too.

I ent know how alyuh fete match ting does run, but in my sweat we drink alcho...if i drink a beer when i running I find it quenches the thirst but i does get bun....if you drink Rum now...I find yuh moving good...no bun feeling nuttin...I ent know if is d sugar or the chaser...but rum does wuk as a tonic.

Again yuh now start back...in a month or so, if yuh ankle and knees hold out you will be able to run normal and at pace for a good 45-1hr.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
Yeah Touches, the fitness will come and the stretching and stuff is important at my age(never thought I'd say that) but the real key of moving this this along is the diet.  When I first started to play with these feels from noon to 2pm, twice a week.  I would wake up, work, drink some juice and then go.  I'm not really a breakfast person.  But after seeing the fitness come up a bit I hit a wall will my muscles.  And those fellas called it like you.  It's diet.  So now I make sure and eat some live foods before I play and do protein before and after.  I could actually see my body respond and recoup faster when paying attention to diet.  I'm researching a 4 in 1 drink called Accelerate.  It's supposed to address some of the things you mentioned.  I can't believe in all of my playing days I never paid attention to diet other than not drinking pop.  Crazy!!! 

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
Brother man, if yuh looking to feel a lil bit better on de field and not realy do all de hard work to become reasonably fit for your age........try putting in some work on yuh core. Trust mih, de hip flexor advice good too, but jacknifes, planks, hanging leg raises and dem kinda things will help yuh more than yuh would imagine. I'm ah ole man too, and every time ah regularly do a 20 mins of core work and maybe a small low intensity run, I moving like a new soldier. Trust mih, we players home never realize de difference that core strength makes in athletic ability.
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
And also, if yuh is de same Preacher that went Gustine, doh expect to stop playing shit no time soon, even with a strong core!  ;D
Doh loss yuh head boss

1]; } ?>