April 18, 2024, 11:03:47 PM

Author Topic: Girl, 7, living in pain  (Read 593 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Girl, 7, living in pain
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:14:41 AM »
Girl, 7, living in pain

Stricken with Crohn's disease

By Elizabeth Williams Tobago Bureau

When you are poor in Trinbago you have to go true hell .

Story Created: Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT
(
Story Updated: Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT )

Seven-year-old Naiomi Moonsammy lives in pain on a daily basis.

During a visit to her home in Mason Hall, Tobago, by the Express, it was discovered her physical surroundings also cause discomfort due to the holes in the ceiling and floor of her home.

Little Naiomi dreams of a new home for her family.

However, she cannot go outside to play with her friends because she suffers with Crohn's disease. 

According to the US-based Mayo Clinic, Crohn's disease is a form of an inflammatory bowel disease, it usually affects the intestines, but may occur anywhere from the mouth to the end of the rectum.

Naiomi's  mother, Jennifer Moonsammy, said  several trips to doctors between Trinidad and Tobago have all proven futile.

They have visited Mt Hope, Port of Spain and the Scarborough Regional Hospital for help for the past six years, and after several tests were done, Crohn's disease was diagnosed but the surgery still has not taken place, as one  doctor has not signed the necessary documents for the go ahead.

"And they did the test, they say the stool is passing through her vagina. She gets a lot of pain with that. Every day, every time she eats, every five, 10 minutes she get that pain," Moonsammy said.

Naiomi's blood count is very low, and because of this, her heart beat is irregular. Only weighing 20 pounds, she has not been able to gain weight for several years, her ribs are now showing and she has to wear disposable diapers daily.

The family owns a rusted fridge, television set which is not operational, and the house is in disrepair. Recently the family received an eviction notice.

The mother said she can pay rent, but needs somewhere affordable

Moonsammy said her husband died when Naiomi was very young, and she is the sole breadwinner for five children. She has been unable to source a home from the Division of Settlements. The child can no longer attend the Mason Hall Government Primary School, where the principal has praised her work. 

Naiomi told the Express she feels weak, and it is a struggle living daily, but she is not giving up hope.

"Sometimes like if I sleep something bothering me. So I can't even get to sleep. I usually wake up mummy and ask her to pray for me to sleep," Naiomi said.

Naiomi said she is praying for her brothers and sisters, her mother, and a miracle for her family. Her dream is to become a driver, to transport groceries home for her mother.

"And I always pray to God for them, to get them bless and I get bless too. My mummy would get bless. Sometime I know someday I will get heal," Naiomi said.

When contacted on the matter Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan promised to have the matter addressed in the shortest possible time, for Naiomi to have surgery. Anyone wishing to help this family can call 321-0654.

Previous Article Moonilal: 14,458 employed with URP

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

1]; } ?>