March 28, 2024, 03:36:12 PM

Author Topic: West Indies v Australia, 2nd Twenty20, Bridgetown  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
West Indies v Australia, 2nd Twenty20, Bridgetown
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:02:49 AM »
West Indies v Australia, 2nd Twenty20, Bridgetown

West Indies aim for big improvement
The Preview by Brydon Coverdale
March 29, 2012
http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-australia-2012/content/current/story/559252.html

Kieron Pollard made a 20-ball half-century on Tuesday but ran out of time to add much more to his score © AFP

Teams: Australia | West Indies
March 30, Kensington Oval
Start time 1400 (1800 GMT)

Big Picture
The first Twenty20 on Tuesday was one of the most one-sided matches of the tour so far. Australia kept West Indies to 150 and then chased down the target with 11 balls to spare and eight wickets in hand, which by T20 standards is a trouncing. West Indies have responded by dropping Darren Bravo, who was scratchy, but what they really need from their top order is fewer dot balls and more turning over of the strike. A few more boundaries wouldn't hurt either. If Johnson Charles gets going he can be dangerous but two of the most destructive batsmen in West Indies' order, Kieron Pollard and Darren Sammy, often bat too low to have a serious impact. They need to work out their batting order and ensure that too much is not left for the last few overs.

There was a lot to like about Australia's performance on Tuesday, from the death bowling of Shane Watson and Brett Lee to the century stand between Watson and Michael Hussey, who complemented each other perfectly. Under George Bailey, this side is starting to find its feet. Brad Hogg would likely be in Australia's best XI - he was rotated out of this tour to give Xavier Doherty and Nathan Lyon a chance - but otherwise expect a very similar side to this outfit when Australia play their first match of the World T20 in Sri Lanka later this year. For now, the aim is to win the series 2-0 after the drawn ODI series.

Form guide
(Most recent first)
West Indies LLWLL
Australia WLWLW

In the spotlight
It was hard to believe that Kieron Pollard's fifty on Tuesday was his first in a T20 international. Part of the reason is that he has often batted down the order, and West Indies might wish to give him more time in the middle after his brutal display in St Lucia, where he raced to a 20-ball half-century, the quickest ever by a West Indian in a T20 international. The more time he has at the crease the faster the match could be dragged out of Australia's grasp.

Michael Hussey helped Australia to victory with an unbeaten 59 batting at No.3 on Tuesday, and it was his first T20 international in nearly two years. Often he had been rested before or after a big Test and one-day tour, and he remains a key to Australia's chances in the ICC World T20 later this year. His poise and precision placement make him a valuable batsman in this format and playing at first drop allows him to have significant influence.

Team news
West Indies have dropped Darren Bravo and the allrounder Andre Russell is unavailable due to a minor hamstring strain, while Danza Hyatt has been included in the squad. Fidel Edwards should come into consideration on his home ground, where there should be some pace in the pitch.

West Indies (possible) 1 Johnson Charles, 2 Dwayne Smith, 3 Nkrumah Bonner, 4 Danza Hyatt, 5 Kieron Pollard, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Darren Sammy (capt), 8 Carlton Baugh (wk), 9 Fidel Edwards, 10 Krishmar Santokie, 11 Sunil Narine.

Australia have confirmed an unchanged side for the second T20.

Australia 1 David Warner, 2 Shane Watson, 3 Michael Hussey, 4 George Bailey (capt), 5 David Hussey, 6 Matthew Wade (wk), 7 Daniel Christian, 8 Brett Lee, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Clint McKay, 11 Xavier Doherty.

Pitch and conditions
This is the first match at Kensington Oval on this tour and the pitch is expected to be an excellent batting surface with some pace in it.

Stats and trivia
  • Due to their schedule at the ICC World Twenty20 in 2010, Australia have played more Twenty20s (5) at Kensington Oval than West Indies (3)
  • The toss can be important at this venue, with nine of the 12 T20s played there having been won by the team that batted first

Quotes
"We'll just be doing exactly what we did last game. We addressed our death bowling at the end of the one-day fixture and I think we did that really well [on Tuesday]."
Matthew Wade
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: West Indies v Australia, 2nd Twenty20, Bridgetown
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
West Indies 153/6 (17.2/20 ov)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
They move pollard up the order and the result is 1 run.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:27:29 PM »
idiots
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
idiots

I could only hope they looking to silence the critics.
Sammy moved up the order too, so 5 runs from him.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
160 all out. This should be over before I leave the office.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
Australia 1/1 (1.0/20 ov)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Australia 136/6 (18.1/20 ov)
Australia require another 25 runs with 4 wickets and 11 balls remaining

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »
Australia 136/7 (18.2/20 ov)
Australia require another 25 runs with 3 wickets and 10 balls remaining

Fidel Edwards on a hat trick...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
Last over.
Australia need 19 to win

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
We Win!

Australia RR 7.30
Last 5 ovs 35/5 RR 7.00
West Indies RR (8.13) 8.00

Bravo and Edwards and Samuels did the job in the last 3 overs. Between them 13 runs and 5 wickets.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:32:07 PM by Bitter »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
HA we win ! great fight.
Youtube Channel

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 03:11:52 AM »
The team is making progress in the limited overs version of the game. The Trini contingent of Simmonds, Ramdin and Rampaul will strengthen the team. Not sure yet about small Bravo in limited overs. He appears to need time to play himself in. Add Russell to the mix and we could challenge the big boys.

The players that have to be dropped are Charles, Baugh, Mathurin and Samuels.

My starting eleven for the T20 WC
Gayle (if issues resolved)
Dwayne Smith
Simmonds
Dwayne Bravo
Pollard
Ramdin
Russell
Sammy
Narine
Rampaul
Fidel Edwards

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
Need Kemar in de mix.  I thought Charles had a good 50 over series, not too sure of his T20 record.  Samuel is definitely a goat; hopefully Russell gets fit quick
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
Need Kemar in de mix.  I thought Charles had a good 50 over series, not too sure of his T20 record.  Samuel is definitely a goat; hopefully Russell gets fit quick

IMO Fidel is more potent and Rampaul is more economic than Roach. I don't think we should play 3 fast bowlers in a T20 game, particularly when we have the medium pacers, Bravo, Pollard, Sammy and Russell. So for me, Roach just misses out if everyone is fit.

For me Charles can't get pick before Gayle and Dw Smith. Maybe in time, but once Gayle is playing for the Windies, him and Smith are top class batsmen than can destroy any bowling attack. Smith has definitely underachieved as he has more talent than most of the other Windies batsmen.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »
Smith will get strangled with quality spin. Look what t&t do him in t20 final.
Youtube Channel

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »
Smith will get strangled with quality spin. Look what t&t do him in t20 final.

That goes for most of the Windies players. Gayle, Pollard and Sammy are also weaker at playing spin than pace. Smith plays all over the world for different teams so clearly they have seen something in him. Hopefully he can improve his ability to read and play spin.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
I am glad Smith has come good, but he has really only had one big innings in recent memory (on his home ground in familiar territory).

Yes he plays for different teams around the world, but I think he bats in the middle, playing a role like pollard does now.

I agree that Roach misses out with everyone else fit...especially since Rampaul and Russell are better batsmen.

We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »

IMO Fidel is more potent and Rampaul is more economic than Roach. I don't think we should play 3 fast bowlers in a T20 game, particularly when we have the medium pacers, Bravo, Pollard, Sammy and Russell. So for me, Roach just misses out if everyone is fit.

For me Charles can't get pick before Gayle and Dw Smith. Maybe in time, but once Gayle is playing for the Windies, him and Smith are top class batsmen than can destroy any bowling attack. Smith has definitely underachieved as he has more talent than most of the other Windies batsmen.

Yeah, doh disagree, ah meant for de larger squad, I agree for de most part w/your final 11
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »

Yeah, doh disagree, ah meant for de larger squad, I agree for de most part w/your final 11

Yeah is a decent 11.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

1]; } ?>