April 28, 2024, 03:39:17 PM

Author Topic: African-American children more optimistic on race than whites  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/02/us/ac360-race-study/?hpt=hp_c1

This study should be conducted in T&T...

By Chuck Hadad, CNN
updated 1:55 PM EDT, Mon April 2, 2012

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

AC360° commissioned a groundbreaking study on children and race
White child and black child looked at the same picture of two kids on a playground
Black first graders had more positive interpretations than white first graders
Psychologist says divide often starts with how parents talk to kids about race

Tune in to "Anderson Cooper 360°" all week for the surprising results of a groundbreaking new study on children and race at 8 and 10 p.m. ET.

(CNN) -- A white child and a black child look at the exact same picture of two students on the playground but what they see is often very different and what they say speaks volumes about the racial divide in America.

The pictures, designed to be ambiguous, are at the heart of a groundbreaking new study on children and race commissioned by CNN's Anderson Cooper 360°. White and black kids were asked: "What's happening in this picture?", "Are these two children friends?" and "Would their parents like it if they were friends?" The study found a chasm between the races as young as age 6.
Overall, black first-graders had far more positive interpretations of the images than white first-graders. The majority of black 6-year-olds were much more likely to say things like, "Chris is helping Alex up off the ground" versus "Chris pushed Alex off the swing."
They were also far more likely to think the children pictured are friends and to believe their parents would like them to be friends. In fact, only 38% of black children had a negative interpretation of the pictures, whereas almost double -- a full 70% of white kids -- felt something negative was happening.

But why? CNN hired renowned child psychologist and University of Maryland professor Dr. Melanie Killen as a consultant to design and implement this study. She says the divide often begins with the different ways parents talk to their kids about race.

"African American parents ... are very early on preparing their children for the world of diversity and also for the world of potential discrimination," said Killen, adding, "they're certainly talking about issues of race and what it means to be a different race and when it matters and when it doesn't matter."
In contrast, the negativity for white children could be more of a result of what parents are not saying to their children than what they are saying. Dr. Killen contends that white parents often believe their children are socially colorblind and race is not an issue necessary to address. "They sort of have this view that if you talk about race, you are creating a problem and what we're finding is that children are aware of race very early," said Killen.

That racial void left by parents is filled with all of the overt and subtle messages on race from the rest of society -- what children see and hear from their teachers and friends, TV shows they watch, and what they're exposed to online all have a profound and lasting effect. Killen also points out that parents can send silent subconscious messages about race to their children that have a big impact.
"When ...we're in a situation in public, we're in a room, and we have the opportunity to ask two different people for help ... we might just you know be more likely to ask the person of the same race than somebody's who's in opposite race for help." Killen uses it as an illustration of an everyday interaction that can send an unintended message to children.

The study found that black children's optimism about interracial friendships unfortunately fades by adolescence. Killen and her team also tested 13-year-old children and showed the teens similar pictures designed to be ambiguous.
While black children start out positive, by age 13 they become as pessimistic as white kids. Dr. Killen says experiences of rejection and the harsh realities of race relations most likely explain the trend.

Dante, a black teen, told the heartbreaking story of racial bullying so severe, he had to change schools. "I've been bullied for like the way I look and the way of my skin at my previous school ...and they just kept on bullying me and ... I just asked them to stop over and over again and then I tried not to break, like, but I couldn't hold on anymore," said Dante, adding, "so I asked my mom, 'Can I leave?' "
Jimmy, another black teen, talked of a white friend's mother forbidding her son to play with him because he was black. Jimmy said when his mother questioned the woman, she spelled it out in no uncertain terms, saying, "It's because you're black so we can't hang out."
Are we doing enough to teach kids about race?

Both teens told their stories in an open-ended question session, conducted by Killen and her team, at the request of CNN to fully understand how children's racial views are shaped. Killen says stories like these represent a painful reality check on race for black children. "(If children) have that kind of experience and you have that repeatedly over a number of years, I think it's adaptive to pull back," she said, adding, "I think your optimism is going to decline because you've been told you know you really don't belong here or you're really not part of us ."

The CNN study had a key piece of good news for children of all ages. The racial makeup of a school can play a dramatic role on kids' attitudes on race -- especially with white children. Both white and black students were tested at three types of schools -- majority white, majority black and racially diverse. White students at majority white schools were overwhelmingly the most negative, but there was a seismic decrease in that negativity among white kids at the other two types of schools.
The reason, according to Dr. Killen, is about friendships. "There's almost nothing as powerful as having a friend of a different racial ethnic background to reduce prejudice, to ... have that experience that enables you to challenge stereotypes," she said.

Samantha, a white teen at a majority black school, epitomized that finding. "My grandparents are very racist against African Americans and other races. It's 2012, they have to push that aside ... they say, 'You want to stick with your own race.' And I say, 'No, I'm friends with everyone.' "

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
Re: African-American children more optimistic on race than whites
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
Hmmm...not new or groundbreaking. Have seen other such studies before. However, they lie...the young kids DO NOT pick up on the racial attitudes from society at large because their parents don't talk to them about it. They get that shit right from their parents, from what they say in the privacy of their own homes.

I think kids in Trini a lot more colour blind than that though, especially since most everybody "tanned".
Two islands are better than one.

giggsy11

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
Hmmm...not new or groundbreaking. Have seen other such studies before. However, they lie...the young kids DO NOT pick up on the racial attitudes from society at large because their parents don't talk to them about it. They get that shit right from their parents, from what they say in the privacy of their own homes.

I think kids in Trini a lot more colour blind than that though, especially since most everybody "tanned".

I agree that kids are influence by their parents. I think it works both ways; a kid can have positive views about race if the parents have positive views about race and vice a versa. Adults are very responsible for influencing/poisoning a child's point of view  when it comes to race and what is or isn't acceptable. You let children of different races or socio economic status interact and they will just see it as them doing so with another child. They will not know how to define poor or that one race is better than unless an adult does it for them.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »
wonder if they can do a similar study here...by experiencce i definitely know how it would swing

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
You can't look at individual numbers to prove of disprove systemic racism.  You have to be way broader and less subjective.  Most individuals will tell you what they would like to see but not really what is happening on a larger scale. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:20:50 PM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:39:56 AM »
wonder if they can do a similar study here...by experiencce i definitely know how it would swing

http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/sage/racial-identification-and-racial-preference-of-black-preschool-rQoslcl1bG

not to simplify the people dem test, but I had two sisters growing up and I don't recall (80's) ever seeing any other doll but white ones on sale around Christmas time. So I have to ask, if these kids grew up only knowing (for a part) and playing with white dolls, which do you think they would choose? I know theres a more to the test, but what part does familiarity with the object play?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
What a Doll Tells Us About Race

By GITIKA AHUJA
March 31, 2009

With a black first family and fewer people citing racism as a "big problem," just how much have the country's race relations changed?

It's a question "Good Morning America" posed in its three-part series "Black and White Now," which takes a look at the current state of race relations.

In Part 1, "GMA" recreated a famous doll experiment, which gave insight into race relations and the self-esteem of children.

The Original Experiment
In the 1940s, the nation was captivated by an electrifying experiment by legendary sociologists Kenneth and Mamie Clark. They asked black children about two dolls, one white and one black.

The majority -- 63 percent of them -- said they'd rather play with the white doll. Most said the white doll was nicer than the black doll and in the most poignant answer of all, 44 percent of the black children said the white doll looked most like them.

"[It was] groundbreaking in that it sort of changed the way we look at race relations," Harvard University professor William Julius Wilson said. "Here are kids who felt that [...] being white was more beautiful than black. And that's pretty devastating."

Our Experiment
Sixty years and one biracial president later, "GMA" gathered 19 black children, ranging in age from 5 to 9 years old, in Norfolk, Va.

Some of our results differed vastly from those of the original experiment. For example, 88 percent of our children happily identified with the dark-skinned doll.

ABC
'GMA' Examines U.S. Race Relations by Revisiting the Clarks' Famed Doll ExperimentForty-two percent of the children wanted to play with the black doll compared to 32 percent for the white doll.

"GMA" then moved on to that question about which doll is nice and which is not. Sixty years ago, 56 percent of the children chose the white doll. The majority of our kids chose black or both and 32 percent chose the white doll.

Sometimes the choice had nothing to do with race.

"The bad doll is on my right because that's just the way it looks at me. It kind of creeps me out with the beady eyes," said 9-year-old Chareese Hicks, a fourth-grade participant who picked the white doll as bad.

Yet sometimes the answer about which doll was nicer raised some disturbing questions.

"It talks back and don't follow directions," said 7-year-old Alexis Lindsey, a second-grader who chose the black doll as the bad one.

Judging Beauty
There was another question "GMA" asked. In this age of much superficial judgment, when so many magazines and ads concentrate on looks, we wanted to know about appearance. Which doll was more beautiful?

A number of kids, including second-grader Sergine Mombrun, said there was no difference.

"Just by looking at them I think both of them are pretty," the 7-year-old said. "Babies are cute."

Most of the children who agreed with Sergine were boys.

"They are the same, no difference but the skin color. [It] doesn't really matter," said 9-year-old fourth-grader Cordell Means.

Wilson offered a reason for the disparity between the girls and the boys.

"Black boys are more confident," he said. "Black girls are less confident."

"Black girls do not feel that they enjoy the respect and admiration that black boys do," he said.

Second-grader Jamya Atkins, 7, picked the white doll as soon as she sat down and before the questions began.

She said the white doll was shiny and the black doll was frowning.

Nayomi McPeters, a 7-year-old second-grader, said the black doll was the ugly doll "because sometimes this one has its feet like a monkey."

In fact, 47 percent of the girls we questioned said the white doll was prettier.

"Black children develop perceptions about their race very early. They are not oblivious to this. There's still that residue. There's still the problem, the overcoming years, decades of racial and economic subordination," Wilson said.

And even with the questions raised by this experiment, there is hope.

With Barack Obama as president, many of the children said they believe they too could be the commander in chief one day.

"Barack Obama was like my idol," said 8-year-old third-grader Jahlia Jordan. "He has persevered and gone though so much. Because he done it, I can do it, too."
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »

you sure about that?

1]; } ?>